Still sticking it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave my two primary reasons for why including that jersey is not particularly out of bounds in my first post in this thread. Feel free to comment on that.
I did. Did you miss my posts? Let me summarize. His stats were about the same as he had his previous seasons in GB, if these 2 "historical" seasons had happened in MN his first 2 in the league and then went to GB and accomplished all he accomplished here in his 16 seasons with the team, do you think he would still have 2 uniforms? or would MN be an afterthought? a blip in history. You mention INT's, like we don't all know that history. We had 16 seasons of it, MN had 1 season ended with 1.

You're right, you can't tell the story without MN, but tell it with what it deserves, a coffee mug or a lock of golden hair. Maybe a horn. Like every other great before him that has played with multiple teams and accomplished the same, or more.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could add a Jets and Falcon jersey for all I care - It doesn't change anything. Everyone who knows anything about Brett Favre knows he spent 16 years in Green Bay, played in two Super Bowls there and won one. He spent four years in those other places combined and played in zero Super Bowls combined. That's the real story.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
They could add a Jets and Falcon jersey for all I care - It doesn't change anything. Everyone who knows anything about Brett Favre knows he spent 16 years in Green Bay, played in two Super Bowls there and won one. He spent four years in those other places combined and played in zero Super Bowls combined. That's the real story.

Yeah, I think the majority of football fans from other teams will always think of Favre as a Packer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the Vikings administration don't put him on the stadium wall in their "ring of honor." He was a two year rental at the end of his career. If the Vikings need reflected glory to enhance their NFL HOFer count so be it. They also get credit for Jan Stenerud, Warren Moon, and Dave Casper per the HOF website.
Heard one guy in Milwaukee radio say he expects that to happen

Reaction score
It's the NFL Hall of Fame, not the Packer Hall of Fame.
Agreed. Plus, I also saw an interview with Favre and he said he was as surprised as anyone there was a Vikings Jersey there. He was like "Packer fans aren't gonna be happy" and he wasn't smiling one bit.
There is also other evidence showing this is not his doing.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know others have touched on this, but I dont see any Buccaneers gear in Dungys locker, even though he spent half his head coaching career in Tampa, building one of the best teams (that Gruden won a SB with a year later riding on autopilot).

I dont see a Chiefs Jersey even though Montana stayed 2 years in KC and took them deep into the playoffs.

I also dont see any Panthers gear in Kevin Greenes locker from his 3 seasons with them.

But the HOF decided to fill half of a 20 year career with junk from 2 forgettable seasons spent on the Vikings. What a Joke.

Last edited:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rs-gear-in-ken-stablers-hall-of-fame-display/

Stabler and the Raiders had no lost love. It makes me think twice about how much input the player/ family have in this. Im sure the Hall wouldn't go against a families wishes, and would only take liberty if the family/ player said "whatever you do is fine".

Not trying to take the shine off Favre and the HOF, but if there is no Stabler- Raiders gear, it makes me think the family said to exclude it. On the flip side, if they came to Favre and said "we are going to put this Vikings stuff in here", and he said not to, it would likely not be there.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord people are flipping out about this. For better and for worse you can't really tell Farve story without shinning the light on the Vikings. That's the major difference between every example listed of other guys in the HoF. Their story's are tied to a single team despite playing for others or at worst you can tell their stories in context without spending much time on the other teams.

Let me put it this way. If Woodson gets a Packers jersey hanging next to his Raiders one then everyone complaining right now should also be complaining when/if that happens. For some reason I doubt people will be upset though

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson played in a Super Bowl for 2 different teams. Woodson played 7 seasons with GB and put up defensive MVP and HOF numbers while here. and as it stands, I'd expect only 1 jersey to be in his locker, and I'd let him pick.

If you take Favre's last 2 seasons with GB and his last 2 with MN, they're pretty close to the same. Like I said earlier, I understand the "argument" for putting in 2 uniforms, but it is so weak. 50TD's, 4K yards, 5 INT's and the only super bowl win for the Vikings, sure put another uniform in there. 2 seasons that were no different than his last 2 seasons with the team he did so much more for? put a mug in there.

it's only in there because they want to capitalize off of controversy, which I think is tacky. Had those 2 seasons occurred with MN 19 years ago, they wouldn't even think of putting another uniform in his locker. If Favre wanted it in there, i'd respect it more. It's still tacky, and he should admit it, if that's the case, which I don't really believe it is, don't hide behind "the Hall picked it".

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times do we have to say it before it sinks in? It's not that Favre played for teams other than the Packers.

It's how he did it, why he did it and who he did it with that's the difference. And that "other"jersey in the HOF display only reiterates that.BS, er BF says he wants to be remembered as a Packer. Then get that rag out of that display.If Bert doesn't speak up about it he's consenting.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/54145584.jpg

Last edited:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I take solace in knowing that 50 years from now no one will remember that he ever played for the Vikings. Just like many fans (not Packer fans) dont know he was drafted by the Falcons. They wont remember him as a Jet, or a Falcon, or a Viking.

They will remember him as a Packer.

Then they will go to the Hall and get pissed off that there is a Vikings jersey hanging in his locker, just like many of us are.

Something tells me that this (since they have no other digs at Packers fans) will be what the Vikings fans try to get at Packers fans about in the future, kind of like how we keep reminding them that the only thing in their trophy case is dust.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, no, no. Bill Michaels yes was attempting to educate everyone to which no one would listen. Sparky and the Big Show clowns were the ones, sorry I should have specified.

I hate the Big Show. Let me guess how the show went.. someone argued Favre was at fault, some argued the opposite side and then they said "what do you think.. give us a call" I wish Butler would move to a different show.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let me put it this way. If Woodson gets a Packers jersey hanging next to his Raiders one then everyone complaining right now should also be complaining when/if that happens. For some reason I doubt people will be upset though

Woodson played seven seasons for the Packers grabbing 38 of his 65 career interceptions with the team as well as scoring nine of his 11 interception return touchdowns as a member of the Packers. These numbers and the fact that Woodson won his only Super Bowl in Green Bay justify him being enshrined as a major contributor for both teams.

In addition there's a huge difference in how Woodson ended up in Green Bay compared to Favre forcing his way to Minnesota.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it amazing how much passion a guy that people don't even personally know can bring out in people. Particularly the people that hate him. Which by the way is entirely your right and I would never try and convince you otherwise.

I am merely surprised that he can still bring out so much seething "hatred" or "love" in some.

I'll be honest, I love the guy and the way he played. The good and the bad, he truly gave it his all. He along with Wolf, Holmgren and White are such an integral part of the revitalization of the Packers. By the way how come I never see the hate for Holmgren who turned down being the highest paid coach in the NFL all so he could play god in Seattle? Holmgren left for the most selfish of reasons. Power.

Any way... here is another reason to love Favre. Without the wishy washy possibility of retirement, there is a high probability the Packers don't use that 24th pick on the young and completely mortified player that free fell in the draft. Even in the bad aspects of Favre it helped this organization.

Last but not least to the poster that said something about Favre being one of the biggest chokers in the playoffs, have you not been paying attention to Rodgers playoff games quality or do you still think the 2010 super bowl just ended? Rodgers is 3-5 since the Superbowl season and has played average to downright awful in those games, particularly the losses. In the 5 playoff losses since the Superbowl he has thrown 8 TDs and 6 ints for a 1.33 ratio compared to his career average of 3.95. so with those stats in mind who has played to a lesser standard (choked) in the playoffs more? Favre or Rodgers?

Don't get me wrong, I would take Rodgers over Favre every day of the week and twice on Sunday but unless he and MM can figure out how to turn this thing around in the playoffs soon Rodgers may very well become the greatest choker in NFL history.

Everyone can continue to hate Favre as much as you want but don't let the hatred blind you to the facts, Rodgers does not perform up to to his standards in the playoffs. This to me at least is the very definition of choking.

D

Deleted member 6794

Last but not least to the poster that said something about Favre being one of the biggest chokers in the playoffs, have you not been paying attention to Rodgers playoff games quality or do you still think the 2010 super bowl just ended? Rodgers is 3-5 since the Superbowl season and has played average to downright awful in those games, particularly the losses. In the 5 playoff losses since the Superbowl he has thrown 8 TDs and 6 ints for a 1.33 ratio compared to his career average of 3.95. so with those stats in mind who has played to a lesser standard (choked) in the playoffs more? Favre or Rodgers?

Don't get me wrong, I would take Rodgers over Favre every day of the week and twice on Sunday but unless he and MM can figure out how to turn this thing around in the playoffs soon Rodgers may very well become the greatest choker in NFL history.

There's no doubt Rodgers hasn't played up to his potential in several playoff losses but considering him one of the greatest chokers in NFL history is ridiculous.

As a side note Rodgers has thrown five interceptions in the five playoff losses since winning the Super Bowl. As a comparison Favre threw for 19 TDs and 25 INTs during all of his postseason defeats.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Rodgers hasn't played up to his potential in several playoff losses but considering him one of the greatest chokers in NFL history is ridiculous.

As a side note Rodgers has thrown five interceptions in the five playoff losses since winning the Super Bowl. As a comparison Favre threw for 19 TDs and 25 INTs during all of his postseason defeats.
Note I said if he does not turn things around, if his current trend of 3-5 since the Superbowl continues, he is going to end up with a losing record in the playoffs. I am by no means putting that label on him now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Note I said if he does not turn things around, if his current trend of 3-5 since the Superbowl continues, he is going to end up with a losing record in the playoffs. I am by no means putting that label on him now.

While it would for sure be disappointing if Rodgers ends up with a losing record in the playoffs and not win another Super Bowl his performance in 2010 eliminates him from being considered a choker.

In addition there are other parts of a football team factoring into playoff success as well.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trying to build up Favre while tearing down Rodgers is irrelevent to this discussion. But since it's been brought up let's look at the record.

After 1997 Favre was 2-5 in playoff games with Green Bay. He was the first Packers' quarterback to lose a Super Bowl, a home playoff game and the second and the first to lose a home Championship Game. And the Packers were favored going in to all four of those.

Add in 2009 and Favre finished his career with a 3-6 postseason record. And he finished his last two Championship games with killer interceptions.

The Packers may have a sub record since Super Bowl 45 but it can't be laid on ARod the way so many can on Mr. *****.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

After 1997 Favre was 2-5 in playoff games with Green Bay. He was the first Packers' quarterback to lose a Super Bowl, a home playoff game and the second and the first to lose a home Championship Game. And the Packers were favored going in to all three of those.

Add in 2009 and Favre finished his career with a 3-6 postseason record. And he finished his last two Championship games with killer interceptions.

It doesn't matter a lot but Favre was 3-6 in playoff games with the Packers after losing Super Bowl XXXII.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter a lot but Favre was 3-6 in playoff games with the Packers after losing Super Bowl XXXII.

I forgot about the Seattle playoff won by Al Harris' OT interception return in '03 or the '07 Wild Card that Ryan Grant starred in.

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it would for sure be disappointing if Rodgers ends up with a losing record in the playoffs and not win another Super Bowl his performance in 2010 eliminates him from being considered a choker.

In addition there are other parts of a football team factoring into playoff success as well.

I agree, this more in reference to people calling favre a choker, by your logic he could not be a choker either.

I just think people get blinded by their hatred of Favre, the same people that think Rodgers is ten times better when in all reality up to this point, winning wise he has not done any better than Favre and they give Rodgers a free pass.

Before you give me some sort of stat am talking playoffs not regular season as I am sure Rodgers does have better regular season record.

As far as the other factors goes, I seem to recall someone other than Favre losing quite a few playoff games as well. So my point being again that people's going hatred of Favre causes them to overlook a lot of actual facts

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying to build up Favre while tearing down Rodgers is irrelevent to this discussion. But since it's been brought up let's look at the record.

After 1997 Favre was 2-5 in playoff games with Green Bay. He was the first Packers' quarterback to lose a Super Bowl, a home playoff game and the second and the first to lose a home Championship Game. And the Packers were favored going in to all four of those.

The Packers may have a sub record since Super Bowl 45 but it can't be laid on ARod the way so many can on Mr. *****.
And I would contend that you are blind to the facts because of your dislike of Favre. 4th and 26, the catch II after Favre had engineered an 89 yard go ahead TD drive. I seem to recall the defense being incompletely capable of stopping Terrell Davis in the 2nd superbowl. It goes both ways, yes favre played poorly in a lot of games but it was not all him like you would like to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions to the fact that Favre's int's cost us more playoff wins than Rodgers but to act like it was all him is a bit ridiculous because if it was all Favre than every loss is on Rodgers as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, this more in reference to people calling favre a choker, by your logic he could not be a choker either.

I just think people get blinded by their hatred of Favre, the same people that think Rodgers is ten times better when in all reality up to this point, winning wise he has not done any better than Favre and they give Rodgers a free pass.

Before you give me some sort of stat am talking playoffs not regular season as I am sure Rodgers does have better regular season record.

As far as the other factors goes, I seem to recall someone other than Favre losing quite a few playoff games as well. So my point being again that people's going hatred of Favre causes them to overlook a lot of actual facts

I'm more than capable distungishing between evaluating Favre's career with the Packers from my disdain for him after what happened from 2008 on.

There's absolutely no doubt Favre played mostly great for the Packers during his 16 years with the team. He threw too many untimely interceptions but I don't consider him a choker either.

I won't forgive him forcing his way to the Vikings and trying to stick it to the Packers though.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Favre played mostly great for the Packers during his 16 years with the team. He threw too many untimely interceptions but I don't consider him a choker either.

I won't forgive him forcing his way to the Vikings and trying to stick it to the Packers though.
And I completely understand your thoughts there.

Members online

Latest posts