Sticking with Bush pays dividends for Packers

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By GREG A. BEDARD
[email protected]
Posted: Nov. 12, 2007

Green Bay - After the Green Bay Packers' first game against the Minnesota Vikings, most people wondered how long it would be before struggling nickel back Jarrett Bush was sent to the bench.

After the Packers' victory over the Vikings on Sunday and another in a string of solid performances by Bush, no one's talking about him at all. And that's a good thing.

"He's really getting better week in and week out," nickel package coach Lionel Washington said. "He does some good things on the football field."

On Sept. 30 at the Metrodome, Bush gave up two third-down receptions to receiver Sidney Rice in the first quarter. And then Rice scored a 15-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter as Bush failed to make a play on a jump ball.

With Will Blackmon, whom Bush beat out in training camp for the fifth defensive back spot, waiting for an opportunity, it seemed Bush was playing on borrowed time. But the coaches, including Mike McCarthy, never wavered in their support of Bush.

"It came with experience," Bush said about his early season struggles. "It was just something I had to go through."

Being in the correct position to make a play wasn't Bush's problem. Making a play on the ball once he got there was. Too often he was either turning around for the ball too early or too late. Or Bush wasn't getting a hand up in time to deflect the ball.

But over the past month, Bush has refined his technique by putting in more time in the film room with Washington.

"He comes in after practice and after our last meeting of the day to watch more film," Washington said. "He asks a lot of questions. He always wants to know how they're going to attack him. He understands that part of the game better. I think he has more awareness. He understands his strengths and weaknesses so he's always prepared."

Against the Vikings on Sunday, Bush was targeted four times by the Vikings and did not give up a reception. Sure, Rice was inactive because of injury and third-string quarterback Brooks Bollinger got the start for the Vikings, but Bush's improved performance was not a onetime occurrence. He has played better in each of the past four games.

"Yes, definitely," Bush said when asked about whether he's improved. "Getting my technique down was huge, especially because I used to play receiver (in junior college). I was just being an athlete out there with no technique."

The results have been apparent to Bush's coaches.

"He's been very, very solid for us, getting better as the season has gone on," McCarthy said. "I just love the way he plays. He's a tough, improving young corner. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him. He's just so competitive, and he fits what we're trying to do at the corner position."

In Charles Woodson and Al Harris, the Packers have two of the best starting cornerbacks in the league. But both are now into their 30s and have been battling minor injuries all season.

Is Bush capable of being a starting cornerback in the NFL?

"I guess time is going to tell that out," Washington said. "We'll know something pretty soon. I won't be afraid if something happens, God forbid, to put him in the game because I think he's going to compete and that's all you can ask for. I know what he's capable of doing."

Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasnt to happy with his play at the start, but now I am happy he seems to be getting it on the right track

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the experience is making him a better player....unlike carrol who became a horrible player with experience....i don tthink bush could be a number one or two cb though.....not right now

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush has ideal size and speed to be a star in this league. He just lacks finesse in his play. The longer we keep him in there, the more he'll solidify.

That same logic goes with Will Blackmon. Both Bush and Blackmon are capable to take over for Harris and Woodson when they call it quits, but they just have to keep playing at a consistent level.

I'd love for Thompson to go after DeAngelo Hall after the season though. Say what you want about his attitude, but I think that can easily be fixed.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That same logic goes with Will Blackmon. Both Bush and Blackmon are capable to take over for Harris and Woodson when they call it quits, but they just have to keep playing at a consistent level.

I'd love for Thompson to go after DeAngelo Hall after the season though. Say what you want about his attitude, but I think that can easily be fixed.

I like that they kept Will off of IR. Maybe he can come back in time for the playoffs and be a very solid fourth CB for us. That'd be SO. FREAKING. SWEET!

And amen to the D-Hall thing. I'm not gonna scream bloody murder to get him here, and I honestly see it as a 4% chance of ever happening, but I would absolutely LOVE to see him in the good ol' Green n Gold for the next couple of years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts