Steven Jackson rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I LOVED when the Packers signed Benson, I've been screaming to bring in a proven running back for ....too many years to count. But the reality is Benson is a player who relies on his feet to cut and carry a lot of weight, this isn't you and I wondering when we can play a game of pick-up hoops with the boys. Benson may surprise most of us and be back in time to contribute late in the season or the playoffs, but can the Packers really afford to wait to get him back, even if the best case scenario, which flies against all odds happens? The Packers backs are up against a trade deadline wall in my eyes. If they don't sign a back all we have to hope for is the same of what we saw on Sunday, Rodgers trying to carry an offense on his back for the next 9+ weeks. Facing the teams we have ahead of us in cold weather, with only a passing game, doesn't really excite me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I LOVED when the Packers signed Benson, I've been screaming to bring in a proven running back for ....too many years to count. But the reality is Benson is a player who relies on his feet to cut and carry a lot of weight, this isn't you and I wondering when we can play a game of pick-up hoops with the boys. Benson may surprise most of us and be back in time to contribute late in the season or the playoffs, but can the Packers really afford to wait to get him back, even if the best case scenario, which flies against all odds happens? The Packers backs are up against a trade deadline wall in my eyes. If they don't sign a back all we have to hope for is the same of what we saw on Sunday, Rodgers trying to carry an offense on his back for the next 9+ weeks. Facing the teams we have ahead of us in cold weather, with only a passing game, doesn't really excite me.

If the Packers had any feeling he wouldnt make it back before playoffs, he would been put on normal IR...They feel confident that he will be ready to go after 8 weeks..

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers had any feeling he wouldnt make it back before playoffs, he would been put on normal IR...They feel confident that he will be ready to go after 8 weeks..

I think the Packers (and fans) HOPE he will be back and contributing, but they also hoped that Green and Starks could fill in for those 8 or so weeks, I am still waiting to see how those hopes pan out and what effect they have on the record if and when Benson returns. TT can also HOPE that he picks up a 3rd rounder (if that is what Jackson or DeAngelo would cost) next year, that can have the same impact that either aforementioned players would have pretty quickly with the Pack this year in a run to the Super Bowl. That is something else we haven't discussed, don't you think either of those Players would covet the opportunity to come here and play to potentially play in the Super Bowl or with Rodgers? Talking about incentives to learn the playbook and maybe get an extra year or two out of your legs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would think players rather play for a winner...But sometimes they just care about the $$$$

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would think players rather play for a winner...But sometimes they just care about the $$$$

agreed, but it does seem the Veterans are more about the championships, since they already have their money banked.

Bottom line for me, Packers are one player short from dominating and this was very apperent in the last 2 games. We are on a roll and if we want to keep it going, that one player may be the difference between 11-5 and 9-7. IT's in Ted's hands....27 hrs to go.

Hey it could be worse, we could be sitting here on the Jacksonville blog sight discussing why we need Tebow!

H

HardRightEdge

Of course Fisher is going to say that, if the Rams can't get a deal done, how does it make them look if they say they are trying to get rid of Jackson and don't. This story isn't dead until after tomorrow. If nothing else, it brings us Packer fans "closer or further" apart in discussing how WE would run the team :D

Fisher would not have made those comments unless they closed off discussions.

H

HardRightEdge

If anybody watched "30 for 30 - Broke", it is evident that more players than you'd think MUST play for the money after putting themselves in a hole.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fisher would not have made those comments unless they closed off discussions.

Fisher wouldn't be the first coach to say something out of one side of his mouth. I think the decision is probably more in the Rams GM Les Sneads hands then it is Fishers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If anybody watched "30 for 30 - Broke", it is evident that more players than you'd think MUST play for the money after putting themselves in a hole.

What they are playing for IS money, and a whole lot of it. Money and salaries is a huge topic and a big can of worms. What I wanted to point out was bringing someone like Jackson to GB as opposed to say Detroit (who is rumored to want him) is much more appealing for the player from a "playing for a title" incentive. This incentive would induce him to immerse himself in his task at hand, learning the playbook, melding with the team, etc. Not just riding out the season with another looser.

Maybe next year, Jackson would be that rare vet that is willing to take a pay cut (you know $6 million instead of $8 million) in order to better the team. This may be Jackson next year, probably not DeAngelo since I just read about his contract, someone was smoking something in the Panthers offices when they agreed to that. TT won't be trading for DeAngelo.

H

HardRightEdge

Fisher wouldn't be the first coach to say something out of one side of his mouth. I think the decision is probably more in the Rams GM Les Sneads hands then it is Fishers.

I cannot recall a case where a coach made a definitive statement like this and turned around two days later saying "never mind". It would make you look like an amateur hack. You can be sure Fisher is intimately familiar with the GM's plans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I cannot recall a case where a coach made a definitive statement like this and turned around two days later saying "never mind". It would make you look like an amateur hack. You can be sure Fisher is intimately familiar with the GM's plans.

HRE I can't site one right off the top of my head, but flip flopping, if you would call it that if Jackson is traded, isn't something new in any sport, business or politics. Strategically speaking, Fisher would be a bigger idiot if he said "Oh hell yeah, we are trying to trade Jackson". Not only would this demoralize him, the team and Jackson if it didn't happen, it makes Jackson's value less to teams that may want to trade for him. Don't put to much faith in what is said to a clammering media wanting answers from a coach who isn't ready to give away strategy.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing will happen - my prediction.

Rumor of Rams demanding a #1? That will kill it there. If I'm TT I do it for a 4th with the belief that it improves our SB chances about 4x.

I don't expect to resign him, we need our money for Clay and company already. Jackson is at the age where it isn't wise to invest much money or hope in him. But for 8 more games? Why not?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Rumor of Rams demanding a #1? That will kill it there. If I'm TT I do it for a 4th with the belief that it improves our SB chances about 4x.

I don't expect to resign him, we need our money for Clay and company already. Jackson is at the age where it isn't wise to invest much money or hope in him. But for 8 more games? Why not?

For a #1, nobody will bite. There are very few (if any) players, that the Packers need, that would be worth a #1 for a 3 month lease. If this doesn't happen and Green or Starks gets hurt, then what? Just throwing more gas on the fire :D

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I'd like this to happen I don't think it will. I can't recall anytime TT has every made a move like that at the deadline. I just hope we draft someone in the next draft that's a tough runner like Benson. I'd really like Le'Veon Bell from Michigan State but I'm sure that won't happen either.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
agreed, but it does seem the Veterans are more about the championships, since they already have their money banked.

Bottom line for me, Packers are one player short from dominating and this was very apperent in the last 2 games. We are on a roll and if we want to keep it going, that one player may be the difference between 11-5 and 9-7. IT's in Ted's hands....27 hrs to go.

Hey it could be worse, we could be sitting here on the Jacksonville blog sight discussing why we need Tebow!
Tebow is available???? At what price. Time for a new thread. Hang on I'll be right back.:p

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Reggie white was about the money then I assume everyone else is too.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least Aaron came out today and said that the quantity of runs is integral to the success however the quality of the runs is less than desirable. That is alot better than hearing MM and Clements talk about how Green has "earned" playing time because he has put in the work during practice. I don't want to hear that. I am hoping that was more of a dig at Starks for practicing poorly and for sitting out of Fridays practice with an illness.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

99% nothing happens, but if Jackson is there for a 4th round pick a move must be made. The Packers are going to have an extra pick (compensatory) from Flynn. Players like Steven Jackson don't become available every day. An 8 game (plus 4 more to win the SB) rental is fine.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least Aaron came out today and said that the quantity of runs is integral to the success however the quality of the runs is less than desirable. That is alot better than hearing MM and Clements talk about how Green has "earned" playing time because he has put in the work during practice. I don't want to hear that. I am hoping that was more of a dig at Starks for practicing poorly and for sitting out of Fridays practice with an illness.

Starks was available in the 7th round and probably not just because of the injury thing.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...if I see Alex Green run into the middle of the bunched up line one more time this season, I'm throwing something!

Will you throw the reserved parking sign from your avatar? -Please toss the reserved parking sign from your avatar. (j/k)

It would make the coach look calculating and duplicitous on behalf of the organization, compromising his credibility with the players. But maybe I'm just being cynical.

As much as I'd like this to happen I don't think it will. I can't recall anytime TT has every made a move like that at the deadline. I just hope we draft someone in the next draft that's a tough runner like Benson. I'd really like Le'Veon Bell from Michigan State but I'm sure that won't happen either.

Le'Veon Bell runs tough only some of the time. Sometimes he seems to think he's a finesse back. I call this "Michael Bush syndrome" and I would temper my enthusiasm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts