Steven Jackson rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't think that any RB could be an ideal fix for us right now. It's not just the RB that is not making the yards we need per carry, it's also th O line not helping create the proper lanes. Short of us going back in time and drafting Barry Sanders over that steroid freak Tony Mandrich, there is really no resolve for our running game....just my opinion.

Sure there is....bring someone in. Theres some good names going to be on the market.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey if the Packers can pick up Jackson or Williams for a 3rd rounder....I say go for it. Without a proven running game, defenses are going to keep teeing up on Rodgers and well.....we are one bad sack away from a 5-11 season. If you don't think a 3rd rounder is worth "leasing" a proven back for the rest of the year....do you remember Joey Thomas, B.J. Sander, Donell Washington, Kenny Peterson, Abdul Hodge, Aaron Rouse...oh and Alex Green.....all 3rd rounders in the last 10 years..... TT needs to swing for the fences....we are a Superbowl contender WITH a running back.....without....we have an extra pick in next years draft and just a passing game. For all of those Nay-sayers out there.....if Rodgers goes down, you just stick with the plan and play Harrell because "he is part of TT's master plan" and you don't want to bring in a temporary QB?

Last comment....if I see Alex Green run into the middle of the bunched up line one more time this season, I'm throwing something!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey if the Packers can pick up Jackson or Williams for a 3rd rounder....I say go for it. Without a proven running game, defenses are going to keep teeing up on Rodgers and well.....we are one bad sack away from a 5-11 season.

Even with a solid running game...Rodgers is one sack away from being out for season..So that really isnt a valid point

If you don't think a 3rd rounder is worth "leasing" a proven back for the rest of the year....do you remember Joey Thomas, B.J. Sander, Donell Washington, Kenny Peterson, Abdul Hodge, Aaron Rouse...oh and Alex Green.....all 3rd rounders in the last 10 years..... TT needs to swing for the fences....we are a Superbowl contender WITH a running back.....without....we have an extra pick in next years draft and just a passing game.

You think people here dont want a running back? We would love it..

But it wont happen...So dont get your hopes up

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lis franc injuries take about 6 weeks, on the optimistic side. So it'll be late season, if he's actually able to come back this season.

H

HardRightEdge

I do agree conditioning would not be an issue with Jax...

Maybe you have insider knowledge of playbook and being easy, If so I can't argue it...but I know there was talk of Benson learning the playbook..

I spent some time searching it..

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/bensonpackersplaybook.html?31134

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/n...-down-in-camp-rb-cedric-benson-still-learning

Benson had preseason to learn it...The new guy wont have that time..He will have to learn on the fly...

Let me clarify this once more...

If a guy is picked up this week..He wont play Sunday (believe there is a rule they cant play the 1st week picked up???) then will have the bye week, then another full week of learning things...There would be no reason why when the Pack play Lions after the bye that the new guy couldnt get enough touches to make a difference..

My only claim is that it would take 2 more weeks to have a pretty good grasp on the book..Which would be Dec 2...

As far as Starks, he should have known the playbook by the playoffs..He had the entire season to learn it lol....

But I dont believe any of this will matter....I dont see Ted trading for anyone..We will have Starks and Green sharing the roll till Benson comes back

As recently as 2010, the Rams ran a West Coast offense similar to the Pack, so Jackson is quite familiar with those schemes. McDaniel used a zone blocking scheme in 2011 and Jackson did well with it.

Here's a thought experiment. Let's say we could bring in Jackson for free...no salary, no picks. I think it would be fair to say we would take him, use him, and get him touches in week 11 against DET as you say, and 20 carries by week 12 against the Giants. So in the end it's not whether he'd be a significant upgrade for the stretch run. It boils down to two factors: (1) cost and (2) how accepting of a rent-a-player role Jackson would be, with a "we'll see" on a contract for next year.

I don't think I can emphasize enough how inadequate Mr. Green is to the task. Then we have the brittleness of Mr. Starks and the uncertainties regarding Mr. Benson.

I'm not one to run around advocating TT jump on every name free agent that comes along. In fact, over the last 2 years I've advocated only 3 deals: that we put together a package to draft Von Miller, that we try to pry Calais Campbell away from AZ (he got franchised, then signed), and a deal for Jackson if the price is right.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even with a solid running game...Rodgers is one sack away from being out for season..So that really isnt a valid point

Without a solid running game, defenses are more apt to blitz and play the pass, if all the Packers can do is pass or hand off for no gain, the likelihood of Rodgers getting injured goes up substantially, he is more exposed!

If Green Bay and its fans, wants a running game, then they should go after one via trade, free agency, draft......the Packers have always hoped and prayed for a good running back....Benson was the closest thing they got to this in many years and it didn't take him long to get up to speed. Jackson is already at speed, he knows the West Coast. Won't take him long to fit in, in my opinion.

Again, do you go for the SuperBowl with this team or do you roll the dice with a 3rd round draft choice and greatly increase your odds?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lis franc injuries take about 6 weeks, on the optimistic side. So it'll be late season, if he's actually able to come back this season.

He's a running back....the guys who really need their feet.....he won't be playing again this year....by what the real experts are saying.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just got a tweet from Benson that his boot came off today, he's excited to be back in a regular shoe.

The Packers brought him in for a reason. They don't do those things happenstance.
The Packers didn't have to trade anything to get him.
The Packers were really starting to get excited by what Cedric was doing.
The Packers put him as the IR-designated to return list... because they expect him back.

No prayer they'll trade a draft pick for Jackson, unless they determine Benson isn't coming back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just got a tweet from Benson that his boot came off today, he's excited to be back in a regular shoe.

The Packers brought him in for a reason. They don't do those things happenstance.
The Packers didn't have to trade anything to get him.
The Packers were really starting to get excited by what Cedric was doing.
The Packers put him as the IR-designated to return list... because they expect him back.

No prayer they'll trade a draft pick for Jackson, unless they determine Benson isn't coming back.

Nice Kid Rock picture....Biden looks much younger in that picture though :D

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a running back....the guys who really need their feet.....he won't be playing again this year....by what the real experts are saying.

Foot injuries are especially worrisome and tricky when it comes to RB and personally I am not holding my breath that he comes back this year

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So I hate beating this to death, but I have to go back to my original point on why do so few of you think trading a 3rd round pick for Jackson would be wise? If you heard that the Packers traded either Joey Thomas, B.J. Sander, Donell Washington, Kenny Peterson, Abdul Hodge, Aaron Rouse...or Alex Green (all former 3rd round picks) would it make a difference? OK, some of the purest will catch me on this and say would you trade Finley, Burnett or James Jones (all 3rd rounders) for him, I would say "no". Well maybe Finley the way he is playing :D But a third rounder is no guarantee.....neither is Jackson. BUT the Packers with Jackson have a much better chance at going all the way then one without. If I am a Packer player and see TT sitting on his hands not trying to improve their obvious pathetic running game....I would be PO'd.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Honestly, our Run game right now is pretty bad and with out protection we need production to keep our offense going and keep Rodgers off the turf. The ability to run the ball is going to be crucial in the coming months and into the playoffs if we make it there.

With the way our receivers tend to inexplicably struggle with drops at points during the season, it'd be nice to have a solid run game to fall back on.

All Steven Jackson has done since he's got into this league is rush for 1,000 yards. He's a powerful downhill runner.

Will it happen? Chances are Slim. But it would be in our interest to do it.

I think we need to forget what happened in 2010. Nothing lasts forever in this league, we did have a lot of injuries and persevered, but presently we have different personnel, teams around us get better, teams figure out how to slow us down. Adapt or die. You can't run the same gag over and over and over again and expect the same results.

I just want to win. Whatever we have to do to get that done in a reasonable manner, I say we should do.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both our OL and Green or Starks need to get a bigger set of ****** if we are going to have any semblance of a running game this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We all dont know how easy it would be for Jax to pick up the playbook, unless he is traded here...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Without a solid running game, defenses are more apt to blitz and play the pass, if all the Packers can do is pass or hand off for no gain, the likelihood of Rodgers getting injured goes up substantially, he is more exposed!

If Green Bay and its fans, wants a running game, then they should go after one via trade, free agency, draft......the Packers have always hoped and prayed for a good running back....Benson was the closest thing they got to this in many years and it didn't take him long to get up to speed. Jackson is already at speed, he knows the West Coast. Won't take him long to fit in, in my opinion.

Again, do you go for the SuperBowl with this team or do you roll the dice with a 3rd round draft choice and greatly increase your odds?

We cant get Ted to trade, so what does that statement mean?

Why do people think he can step right in and know the playbook?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
We all dont know how easy it would be for Jax to pick up the playbook, unless he is traded here...

If it happens soon, we do have a bye week coming up after zona. Not a ton of time, but I'm sure enough to pick up a good portion of it.

H

HardRightEdge

At the very least, it's nice to see discussion that generates more interest, for once, than "Let's Sh*t Can Finley".;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If it happens soon, we do have a bye week coming up after zona. Not a ton of time, but I'm sure enough to pick up a good portion of it.

I have stated it a few times...He gets this week, and the bye and then another full week before we play the Lions...I know he can play in the Lions game and make a difference, I just dont think by the Lions game he would have the entire playbook figured out...

Thats all I am saying..He wont have the entire playbook figured out by Lions game

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We cant get Ted to trade, so what does that statement mean?

Why do people think he can step right in and know the playbook?

None of us can get TT to trade for anyone, but we can still talk about it. TT is stuck on building the team through the draft and he has done a great job with it, no complaints here on TT's way of building a team. BUT, when you have a chance at the "missing link" to an almost great team, you have to listen to fans and look at history, we wouldn't be the first team to make a mid season pick-up and turn things around.

As far as Jackson learning the playbook, he would most likely be a 1st and 2nd down back to start, he doesn't need vast knowledge of the entire play book. Look at what Benson did in the short time he was in GB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
None of us can get TT to trade for anyone, but we can still talk about it. TT is stuck on building the team through the draft and he has done a great job with it, no complaints here on TT's way of building a team. BUT, when you have a chance at the "missing link" to an almost great team, you have to listen to fans and look at history, we wouldn't be the first team to make a mid season pick-up and turn things around.

As far as Jackson learning the playbook, he would most likely be a 1st and 2nd down back to start, he doesn't need vast knowledge of the entire play book. Look at what Benson did in the short time he was in GB.

I already discussed that

He didnt get lot of carries until 5 weeks here..

4 weeks he only had 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts