Steve Smith suggested trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is Steve Smith has been a Grade A **** (punching out teammates, calling out his former GM, constantly getting into it with opponents), and given that TT generally does not like acquiring players from other teams I seriously doubt he is going to acquire a guy on his last legs who is also a potential cancer.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a fan of his, but he's a fierce competitor and would definitely add some firepower to the offense.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's 36
he doesn't do anything better than the guys we currently have
he would be like our #5
i don't understand why this would even be a thought

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's 36
he would be like our #5
He's probably better than Monty, Janis, jones, and yet to be determined about Adams. Cobb is the only wr on our team undoubtably better than him. I don't even like him, but our wrs without Jordy are a bit overrated by us and the gp because Rodgers makes them so much better.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's 36
he would be like our #5

LOL, He is having a better year than any WR on our team

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, He is having a better year than any WR on our team
Half as many Tds as Jones, 1 less than an injured Cobb. Less than 100 more yards than Jones on 15 more catches. Exactly what is your criteria for "better year than any WR on our team"?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half as many Tds as Jones, 1 less than an injured Cobb. Less than 100 more yards than Jones on 15 more catches. Exactly what is your criteria for "better year than any WR on our team"?
cherry picking stats must be fun. Plus you mention how cobb is injured but fail to mention steve smith missed a game and is playing with a broken back. Goes along with the cherry picking.

Randall Cobb in 6 games
30 receptions 350 yards 4 TDs 1 100 yard game

James Jones in 6 games
21 receptions 424 yards 6 TDs 1 100 yard game

Steve Smith in 5 games
36 receptions 510 yards 3 TDs 3 100 yard games

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
frame it how you want, he's the only weapon on a bad team.
he wouldn't see the ball on this team. not enough to warrant trading for him.
but i'll just wait my 2 weeks for this thread to quietly die.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cherry picking stats must be fun. Plus you mention how cobb is injured but fail to mention steve smith missed a game and is playing with a broken back. Goes along with the cherry picking.

Randall Cobb in 6 games
30 receptions 350 yards 4 TDs 1 100 yard game

James Jones in 6 games
21 receptions 424 yards 6 TDs 1 100 yard game

Steve Smith in 5 games
36 receptions 510 yards 3 TDs 3 100 yard games

Nice deflection, but my question was simple. What is your definition of a better year? More targets, more yards, more 100 yard games, more broke bones? To me I am happier with Td's.

I would not say he is better than James Jones this season, considering JJ's effectiveness and efficiency with 6 TD's in 21 catches. Cobb has 1 more TD in 6 less catches. Cherry picking? Those are fairly important stats. Exactly how important were Smiths yards, catches and 3 100 yard games in the Ravens 1 win ( or the 5 losses)? JJ has made several HUGE catches so far this season to help preserve wins.

Maybe YOU are cherry picking stats. And why would anyone want to trade for a (admittedly tough)player with several broken bones in his back at 36? Not to mention someone that has had issues with teammates in the past.

My point was what do you consider to be "better year than any WR on our team". You did not answer what criteria you use. Simple question. I can not refute you if you don't state what you use as your criteria. I stated my criteria. Yards, I would say yes. Catches, I would say yes. TD's I would say no. Important plays, I would say no.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice deflection, but my question was simple. What is your definition of a better year? More targets, more yards, more 100 yard games, more broke bones? To me I am happier with Td's.

I would not say he is better than James Jones this season, considering JJ's effectiveness and efficiency with 6 TD's in 21 catches. Cobb has 1 more TD in 6 less catches. Cherry picking? Those are fairly important stats. Exactly how important were Smiths yards, catches and 3 100 yard games in the Ravens 1 win ( or the 5 losses)? JJ has made several HUGE catches so far this season to help preserve wins.

Maybe YOU are cherry picking stats. And why would anyone want to trade for a (admittedly tough)player with several broken bones in his back at 36? Not to mention someone that has had issues with teammates in the past.

My point was what do you consider to be "better year than any WR on our team". You did not answer what criteria you use. Simple question. I can not refute you if you don't state what you use as your criteria. I stated my criteria. Yards, I would say yes. Catches, I would say yes. TD's I would say no. Important plays, I would say no.
36 years old - no thanks
Broken back - no thanks
Cancer in the locker room - no thanks
Better than JJ??? Too silly to respond to.

BTW I agree with you. Great breakdown on numbers.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like jones as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend he's close to Steve smith even at this age. Smith sees more defensive attention than jones ever has. A little thing about those jj tds, he has Rodgers throwing him the ball, Defenses focus on Cobb now, Even Rodger said that. Replace smith with jones on Baltimore and he doesn't come close to smith's production, smith is just far more dynamic. Jones also disappears far too much. He's good at making those contested catches, but so is smith. Smith is just better at getting open as well. I don't think we should trade for smith because I prefer Adams to take over that role, I like adam's potential and upside and I don't like smith as a locker room guy, But jones is best where he will be when Adams gets back, a third option. I don't know why I'm arguing against my own team, but smith is just better than jones on the field in almost every way and I hate smith.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
frame it how you want, he's the only weapon on a bad team.
he wouldn't see the ball on this team. not enough to warrant trading for him.
but i'll just wait my 2 weeks for this thread to quietly die.
He would for sure see the ball on this team. I have no idea why you would think than other than you might have homer glasses on and completely overrate some WRs on this team and underrate players on other teams.

It's a very very low chance of him being traded, let alone to the packers. But brought up nationally in the press and it's worth a thread

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lol unlike you I didn't pick one stat for one player and pick another from another player. I put out the basic stats and that makes it obvious to anyone who isn't completely basis to see that smith is the better player. You didn't state your criteria you just tried to frame it in favor of your argument instead of laying out all the numbers.

As far as the "issues with teammates" and "locker room cancer" we had issues in 96 with injuries and brought in a poor mans Steve smith. Worked out well.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt that Steve Smith, even at 36 years old, would be an upgrade at receiver for the Packers. With a cap hit of less than $1.8 million for the reat of the season he wouldn't be extensive either. There's some concern about him fitting in within the team's locker room though.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt that Steve Smith, even at 36 years old, would be an upgrade at receiver for the Packers. With a cap hit of less than $1.8 million for the reat of the season he wouldn't be extensive either. There's some concern about him fitting in within the team's locker room though.
What do you think he would cost? 6th rounder? Ozzie loves his picks as much as Ted does

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you think he would cost? 6th rounder? Ozzie loves his picks as much as Ted does

Tough one to answer. With Smith being adamant about retiring after the season and the Ravens most likely not getting even close to making the playoffs I think a late round pick should be enough to acquire him.

Sky King

Reaction score
If they can get him for a ham sandwich, fine. Otherwise, wasting a draft pick to rent a guy for half a season makes little sense for a team that is philosophically devoted to draft and develop. Which young player with upside do you want to cut to make room for a guy already running on fumes? He would need to be Einstein in order to learn the playbook well enough to contribute meaningful snaps anytime soon. If TT makes this move it may be a sign that Armageddon is upon us.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they can get him for a ham sandwich, fine. Otherwise, wasting a draft pick to rent a guy for half a season makes little sense for a team that is philosophically devoted to draft and develop. Which young player with upside do you want to cut to make room for a guy already running on fumes? He would need to be Einstein in order to learn the playbook well enough to contribute meaningful snaps anytime soon. If TT makes this move it may be a sign that Armageddon is upon us.

I agree that a move like that doesn´t fit Thompson´s mo but with Smith being an experienced veteran he should be able to figure out the offense pretty fast to contribute.

Sky King

Reaction score
I agree that a move like that doesn´t fit Thompson´s mo but with Smith being an experienced veteran he should be able to figure out the offense pretty fast to contribute.
The only way I see Thompson, or any other GM for a contender, make this specific move would be if another starting WR went down for the season and no other options on the current roster were feasible. Short of that happening it would be subtraction by addition: the upside young player on the roster, regardless of position, who gets a pink slip to make room for renting Smith for the rest of this season. This kind of move is just not TT's M.O.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roddy White reportedly wants out of ATL. Hes not fitting into their new offense that well.

Thoughts on Roddy?

Either way, there are WR's out there to trade for. Boldin from SF is another. So if TT and McCarthy think we need another WR, we could easily trade for one and these guys I am mentioning are all veterans who could pick up on the offense quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts