1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Steroids in baseball

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by gopackgo4, Feb 21, 2006.

1. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok lets ee what do yall think heres my thoughts.

Bonds definate steroid user look at him young and now i wish that he would get hit by a bus
    Mcgwire steroids lover again look at pics of him old and young should be banned from baseball and stripped of all records
    Ok for the rule on steroids I say one time and your out odf the league permanently with all records of you gone. Unless you can absolutly prvoe it was a hair restorer or something like that. And if there is no absolute evidence liek for bonds but everyone knows i say ban him its obvious a guy just all of a sudden bulks up like that and is hitting 50 homeruns a year get him out of here. I SAY 1 STRIKE YOUR OUT!!!!!

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    it should be olympic style testing. but since thats so often and so expensive, no team\league would go for it. it wouldnt make it past the leagues..all alone the players complaining about it.

we're just gonna have to live with the fact that there are cheaters out there, in every sport. just gotta hope its not YOUR guy.

3. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Why don't we give all shoplifters the electric chair too.

4. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    OK topic everyone, just please make sure we don't get into the governmental side of things. Don't need to get crazy political.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Politically speaking...................JUST KIDDING RYAN!!! :wink:

Trom is right......there are cheaters, and if they were NOT caught at the time, you can't do anything about it. If they get caught NOW though, it's another thing!
    It's just a shame that guys like Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth might get passed by a cheater. It's true.......if you look at pictures of guys like Bonds, McGuire, and Sammy Sosa, they all 3 SURE did bulk up all of the sudden!
    But they got away with it..........history won't forget HOW they did it though.

6. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just not naive enough to assume that Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron didn't also cheat. I know steroids weren't around, but I'm sure they an dother players of the era took whatever competitive advantage they were given.

Sometime in the 20's Babe ruth was caught using a corked bat during gameplay. NOt to mention he played only against the best white players.

Steroids or not, I think it's unfair to discredit what Bonds has ddone in his career. The talent level is much deeper nowadays. It has also never been proven that steroid use helps you hit homeruns.

7. hitking2456

hitking2456 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire among others get into the Hall of Fame, then Pete Rose should be in, no questions asked. These guys are given so many chances to change their ways. Drug and alcohol users get sent to rehab, but Pete Rose doesn't get rehab or anything. How does that work?

8. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You could make that arguement for Juan Rincon, Matt Lawton, Ryan Franklin, Raffy Pamiero and about 10 other MLB players. Thus far, neither Bonds, McGwire, or Sosa have tested positive for steroids. You can speculate all you want but you can't keep them out of the Hall specifically for that reason.

I agree that Pete Rose should be in the Hall, and eventually he will be, but not until we get another commissioner.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's because Rose never admitted it (till he practically had a gun put to his head!)
    I KNEW he was in trouble when i heard him say to Selig......"I'll BET you 5 bucks i can get into the Hall of Fame!"
    Wasn't Sosa caught with a corked bat that broke open once? Yes, people cheat.....thats a shame though for those that play by the rules and get passed by.
    As far as saying "It hasn't been PROVEN that steroids help you hit homeruns".............that would have to be said with a "nudge" and a "wink" cause it gives the players alot of extra power. So it DOES help. Maybe what would have been normally a long fly out, turns into a home run because of the extra power, caused by the "roids." I don't honestly believe Bonds would have hit 73, or McGuire 70 in a season without the "help." These guys went from hitting "normally" 45 homers, to suddenly 70 with out help? You have to WANT not to see the obvious to think that.
    Thats just my opinion of course.

10. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    mattresell said....It has also never been proven that steroid use helps you hit homeruns

uh yeh its gives you muscle which gives you power wwhich lets you hit home runs

Thus far, neither Bonds, McGwire, or Sosa have tested positive for steroids. You can speculate all you want but you can't keep them out of the Hall specifically for that reason.

you cant be serious its so obvious nobody just gets that big like that look at pictures look at homeruns before he was big and after and its interesting how production went up in his 30's when everyone one else is declining howd he do it well those would called steroids!!!!

11. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    fyi...sosa's corked bat was supposedly one he only used in practice & he accidentally grabbed it & used it in the game. this is according to the cubs & sosa.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I know Jules! Thats what is so funny! What if it wouldn't have broke? How long would he (or HAD he) been using it? I think they feel "it's not cheating.........till you get CAUGHT!" :wink:

13. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    how about talking about steroids in the NFL?

14. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i really loved sammy before that whole mess! then he left my cubbies & now he's talking retirement - bummer! :(

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Fans of McGuire are going through the same thing! (I don't think it's as bad with Bonds.........i don't think many people liked him BEFORE the steroid scandel.)
    I think Sosa and Bonds want to get out BEFORE their bodies return to "before roids" condition.
    There HAS been steroid talks in the NFL. Thats a BIG reason why Tony Manderich bombed once he made the "big time." He couldn't shoot up the stuff anymore, and his body went south.