Step up to the plate

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the mix here but....

CLAnG!

Brett Favre has stated not so much about playing for a new coach if Sherman was not there, but the fact of having to learn a whole new set of terms for the plays called. He stated the plays are basicly the same but a new co-ordinator would use different teminology for the same WCO play he's been doing for years and he would not be up for that, that he would soon as retire than to go through that whole process again.

Sherman calls the plays that are WRITTEN by Rossley.

So I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too! Keeping Sherman and getting rid of Rossley will not satisfy Favre(New plays)

I'm not endorsing Sherman or Rossley, but to have Brett around, I guess the organization would retain both which I believe thay will do for at least one more year

With a healthy offence and improved defence next year, and they(Brett and the offence) perform lousy, then you will see a major change in the coaching position and unfortunitly the Q.B. possibly too.(Retirement)

Brett's not sticking around if the team is not capable of putting a winning team on the feild

So I guess my answer would be, Keep them all together for at least one more year to turn it around

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rossley and Bonamego being gone is the least I will settle for....if that were to happen, I would be willing to consider Sherman remaining...but the hires have to be good and the authority well defined.

Personally, I think if MS were told to can these two, he would object and his excessive loyalty would eventually cost him his job. Watch to see how this situation might play out....Thompson comes off looking rather decent as he only wishes to improve two areas most fans agree as needing work, and Sherman comes off as an obstacle to improvement.

May be an avenue TT wishes to pursue for the obvious perception benefits of how things shake out, if in fact he is thinking about changing the HC.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...that's why I think Rossley will "retire". To help his good buddy save face. He has had some health issues this season. I am not sure there is any attchment to Bonemego. I DO know that when he was hired it was lauded by every Packer fan that I have had the pleasure to communicate with....including many here. Remember....injuries probably affect your special teams more than any other phase of your team. The depth just isn't there anymore when your special teamers are bumped up to starters. I don't know if this is the case or not and I have no feeling one way or another about Bonemego.

BTW.....you guys love to throw the word "cronyism" around. The fact is that all headcoaches surround themselves with friends and others they have worked with before. There is more of a comfort level there. There is something to be said for loyalty, but sometimes these guys walk a fine line.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes DePack..they do...

but this isn't Holy Cross...it's the Green Bay frickin' Packers....

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon you old softie.....your love for Sherman has been exposed! Just kiddin'. Never ever use the word frickin' between Green Bay and Packers!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think Sherman will stay and I believe Rossley will go look for an assitant out of the Seahawks or philly to come to GB

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the fascination with Mooch? His luster has been tarnished for several years now.....not exactly like that Detroit offense was humming right along.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
What is the fascination with Mooch? His luster has been tarnished for several years now.....not exactly like that Detroit offense was humming right along.

IMHO - Steve Mariucci proved himself in SanFran - did so, pretty well, too!
It was the other changes in that camp that caused all of the upheavals.
Havin' TO around didn't help much - all it takes is one bad seed.

The biggest issue is what can TT do to bring in the right personnel.(?)
If we get Javon Walker back - walking out of the fog that was his previous Agent (not to be named here)... and combined with a bit of secure knowledge of Ahman Green having had a chance to let his tendons, ligaments, whatever... finally heal properly. (Trust me, I know the drill in the weight room) Now, add Samkon Gado, which could relegate Batman to a third down back in many cases, especially since he's young-er and would take the pounding much easier... So then we have ----

• Samkon Gado (new numbah 1)
    Ahman Green (splits time with Gado)
    Najeh Davenport (bull rushes up the middle - or traded?)
    Tony Fisher (traded...?)

Draft is heavy on RB position - and what if Reggie Bush really does stay one more year.... to finish school?

I'm looking more for TT to find some studs for the O-Line - some really huge dudes who can wrap themselves around Favre for one last year and then protect the new Rookie QB, whomever that might be.... Heck, with the right protection, even I could pull it off and I'm 51.

Pending these issues are resolved and JB gets a few wishes satisfied next Spring, as well... then (ya know) I just (hate to say it) don't see The Odd couple splittin' up.. Sherman / Rossley go down in flames together... that's how I see it playing out. As long as Rossley is allowed to sit around the 'puter up in the window and he can keep his 'heart attack waitin''' snacks all around the keyboard.. then he's not goin' anywhere... Things are sorta set in stone with this Marty-ball OC who never shows his face out on the field during a real game.. NEVER. I guess I'd be a bit more leanient if he at least had the guts, the hootspa, to step out there and be amongst the troops - but he never has, - completely opposite of Sherm Lewis, whom I completely admire, btw - I will always think the Coaching Staff is, and should always be, "blue-collar" - out there grinding it down in the trenches, diggin' those ditches.... and as long as we have Mike Sherman on the helm - we won't have that. He is totally, a corporate monkey - it's white collar versus blue collar with him.... and you need a common comaraderie on the sidelines, not a message carrier laden chain of command where some players are never allowed to speak to certain Coaches... When Holmgren was around, everyone chatted with each other... and the HC was always in the face of the QB because he understood you need to watch the taxi driver and where he would take you throughout the Season.... Heck, you guys know what I mean.....

Right now, the atmosphere smells of elite-ism(s) all over the field.... You're always supposed to watch your place - that a crock, from the word "go".... Yeah, the "door is always open policy" is what they say - but it doesn't really exist... not really.

TT committed himself on Mike Sherman.... you cannot forgo that.
Mike Sherman received a two year guaranteed contract - which was totally STUPID
TT should have waited til this Season's end before giving him anything.
No matter what Shermy does - he still gets paid - sorta like JOE JOHNSON, if ya ask me.
(This is one time, I wished one of Sherm's cohorts was readin' this)
Sherman's golfing partner and confidant is Tom Rossley - they'll probably leave the NFL together.

NOW ----
What will the conversation between Brett & Deanna be like...?
I know for a fact that Brett's skills have NOT diminished as much as some pundits would have you believe. Irvin be damned! I say Brett returns, if only for the fact that no Player as good as he has been wants his last year as a pro to be what this one has...... that's NOT the kind of chapter you want at the end of "your" autobiography.... is it? When it comes down to brass tacks, Brett's probably got enough in the tank for at least two, maybe FOUR years more.... and then he could well be a backup.. But, he won't do that.. not unless the Team really needed it.

Bottom Line?
TT will focus on replacing core players. Players who are considered NFL-E level only, who will go away forever. And that means on the Line, on both sides of the ball - the game is always won in the trenches and TT knows this more than anyone. A stud Urlacher type to help Barnett move over to weak side, like College, and two DE's who can give us that Reggie White sack-time heyday back.. and a great corner to match sides with AL HARRIS...

Then just get us some tackles who can really hang in there - look for Flanagan to retire.... We'll need a backup for Chad Clifton next year too. Anyone wanna guess how much longer Tauscher will be around? The O-Line is more important for GB than anything - the rest just walk the ball downfield.

I wanna see THE SWEEP return to Green Bay... let's focus on getting another Jerry Kramer, another Forrest Gregg, etc out there in front of Gado, or whoever....

I really don't think anyone is going anywhere when it comes to the trio of Sherman, Rossley & Favre.

I really don't.

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
keep 'em, OORRR... make my dreams come true and bring back Holmgreen (but that's never gonna happen). but if Favre leaves, we should keep our eyes open for Brady Quinn (QB for in Notre Dame) 'cos that kid will be fresh and determined to score. but, we should still keep Favre because he is one of an one of a kind quaterback that is one of the best our world has seen.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Farve leave because I don't want to see any more comebacks to beat us with 30 seconds left.

He's still one of the best QBs in the league.

GB will have a high draft choice, a creampuff schedule, and a healthy team.[teams usually don't have as many injuries as you guys had two years in a row.]

So my hope is Farve retires.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
I'd like to see Farve leave because I don't want to see any more comebacks to beat us with 30 seconds left.

He's still one of the best QBs in the league.

GB will have a high draft choice, a creampuff schedule, and a healthy team.[teams usually don't have as many injuries as you guys had two years in a row.]

So my hope is Farve retires.

Not too sure about the creampuff schedule.... that remains to be seen!

Last year's cream ended up on the floor this year.... remember that...

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shiftysdad said:
p.s. shermans not too bad... we should just get a new O.C... and maybe a new D.C too, just too stir things up.

You don't replace a guy who single-handedly made the defense respectable just to "stir things up". :p

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
BTW.....you guys love to throw the word "cronyism" around. The fact is that all headcoaches surround themselves with friends and others they have worked with before. There is more of a comfort level there. There is something to be said for loyalty, but sometimes these guys walk a fine line.

You do have a point, DP -- but in this particular instance... cronyism, or nepatism (almost) is the order of the day with these two.

Sherman, whether he likes it or not, PROVED TO EVERYONE... who the weakest link was on the Offense, with his 'personal' handling of the Detroit/Ford Field 2004 game. No Rossley? ...completely changed team/offense speaking.. or was it just the focus of the game planning? Either way, once TR returned.. things slowly returned to previous scenario(s).. despite Mike Sherman providing cover with the "I call the Plays now" comment - which was not altogether the TRUTH...

Sherman doesn't get to have it both ways here....
If he's gonna call the plays.. then he should be doing the majority of the game-planning and I just don't see that as the case.

Oh, it's crony-ism alright...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Sherman doesn't get to have it both ways here....
If he's gonna call the plays.. then he should be doing the majority of the game-planning and I just don't see that as the case.

Oh, it's crony-ism alright...

If Sherman does the game planning and offense planning, then why should he have an OC? I believe that Sherman is calling the plays just as he states, but Rossley is designing the plays and he's doing the majority of the game-planning. Also, Rossley is watching the defense from the booth and making suggestions to Sherman for plays to use.

Sherman is the HC and he needs an OC to run the offense whether Sherman calls the plays or not. It's obvious that Rossley is failing at his duties as the OC and he needs to be replaced. Anyone can see that there's no creativity on offense and this Packer offense is based on creativity.

Odysseus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call Mike Martz. If he is available as OC, I'd love to see Favre for a couple more years. Otherwise, I think the best thing for the Packers is a fresh start.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Martz??!!!? You HAVE to be kidding...that guy is a tunnel visioned boob who lost games and seasons because of his inability to understand that a running game IS important to offensive success.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mike Martz wouldn't hand off to Marshall Faulk do you really think he's going to hand off to Samkon Gado? While I never like to speak ill of the sick, Martz is a putz.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id say keep sherman. If the bates defense continued to improve, and we stay injury free...good things could happen despite having shermhead as our coach. I mean, we've been the playoffs before in spite of having him, it could happen again as long as there are no injuries, AND a top 10 defense.

Odysseus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree with the comments on Mike Martz.
Faulk was the league MVP in 2000. It doesn't matter to me if he got his yards running or receiving.
Kurt Warner was the MVP in '99 and '01.
The Ram's piled up some of the most impressive yardage and point totals in NFL history.
I didn't say I wanted him as head coach. I'd just like to see what he could do with the Pack as OC with Favre as his QB. I'll stand by that comment.

Latest posts