Steelers fans hate Roger Goodell. What about Packers fans?

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Pittsburgh, Steelers fans have conspiracy theories that Roger Goodell is trying to kill the league - but not over the whole CBA talks. No, their idea is that Goodell is "targeting" the Steelers with fines and that every rule change he makes is purposely to hurt the Steelers. Ever since the Steelers lost the Super Bowl, the blame for their loss has fallen on the shoulders of Goodell - probably out of desperation, realizing that their team was not the best and needing to put the blame on someone. It's utterly ridiculous, and their conspiracy theories make Vikings fans look reasonable by comparison.

But how about Packers fans? Do you hate Goodell as well? I dislike some things that he's done, like the playoff overtime rule change, and certainly if next season ends up messed up because of the owners' stubbornness, he'll have a lot to blame (although I suspect that 99.9% of the Packers owners are against the lockout). But I also think that he has the potential to really help the league, such as making the game grow overseas. And of course I don't blame the commissioner every time the Packers lose a game. What about the rest of you?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I like him. I'm all for making the game safer and I like the Playoff OT rule and think it should be instituted for the regular season.

I won't like him so much if the season doesn't start on time, though.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him. I'm all for making the game safer and I like the Playoff OT rule and think it should be instituted for the regular season.

I won't like him so much if the season doesn't start on time, though.
I can go along with that.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OT didn't need a change, it was a cave in on due to one game last year. It didn't need to get changed (just think Carolina-Rams OT playoff game)

I'm not overly fond of Goodell. He is pretty inconsistent with implementing his rulings and says one thing about safety then promotes this asinine longer season idea which wont help with safety.

though I have less issues with Goodell being the Commissioner than I do about Smith being the Pres of the NFLPA who's nothing more than a political hack that rode Obama's coattails into the position.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a Goodell fan at all........what has he really done for the good of the game? If he is so concerned about player safety, i.e. helmet to helmet hits..why not suspend the player for a game instead of figuring if it is a 10k fine or 50k fine...and don't get me started on him trying to get a team outside of North America

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think overall he's doing a good job. There is always room for improvement. Just think he has the task of trying to please owners, players, sponsors, and a host of other people and companies. From the interviews and the things I've read I think he wants what we all want and that's a 2011 season. Not just for the money and so he doesn't go down as one of the commissioners that let this happen but I really think he cares about the fans. JMO

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was really after the Stealers then he would fine them on every single tackle and block.
But since the majority of things they do are not fined, because they aren't illegal, then the argument is null and void.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I don't like him, $10K fine on Peppers for the hit on Rodgers in the NFCCG! Gimme a break. Yet he fined Collins $50,000 for the accidental hit on Roy Williams. F Goodell. He's too inconsistent in his rulings.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he were interested in fairness, he would push for a 50/50 split of revenues between owners and players. Right now, the owners want an additional 1 billion off the top (giving them 2 billion) before splitting revenues 50/50. That would give players approx. 38% of the 9 billion in revenues. It doesn't seem fair to me, especially if they add 2 more regular season games with the added injuries they will cause. Far as I can tell, the owners have no share in the injuries.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he were interested in fairness, he would push for a 50/50 split of revenues between owners and players. Right now, the owners want an additional 1 billion off the top (giving them 2 billion) before splitting revenues 50/50. That would give players approx. 38% of the 9 billion in revenues. It doesn't seem fair to me, especially if they add 2 more regular season games with the added injuries they will cause. Far as I can tell, the owners have no share in the injuries.

you can't put that on Goodell...he's the middle man, he's the owner's employee. For all we know personally he may think they are all a bunch of morons and the money should be split evenly. But he can't say that as he's the owner's spokes person when it comes to the CBA. Even if individual owners break off like Rooney, he still speaks for the majority.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fettppett, I don't disagree with who his employer is, but it is his job to save the integrity of the game. He will have failed if next season is ruined.

The owners say they need a bigger percentage due in large part to the added expenses of new stadiums being built, which they say are important to the development of the game. A recent report to San Diego (Stadium report: Average public investment nearly $300 million, Chargers want $500 million) shows that the 11 new stadiums constructed since 2002 cost an average of $538 million, with public financing covering 54% of the costs.

Seems to me, the public should have more say than the owners in what goes on, since we are paying the majority of the expenses for the palaces that the owners are demanding. But, as usual, owners share profits and the public share expenses. If the season is affected by this nonsense, it will be the fans who pay the price.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't get me wrong, I agree...and my guess is that negative backlash that BOTH sides have taken is the reason why they have agreed to mediation.

my point was that he's just a focal point, but his job is to carry out the owners wishes while keeping the integrity of the game. it's a hard road to go down but it was his choice. I don't like a lot of stuff he's done/said, but it's like the POTUS, I sure as hell aint going to do it

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hate his fines, like him otherwise though. Glad he has been the first to take a hard stand against player arrests.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hate his fines, like him otherwise though. Glad he has been the first to take a hard stand against player arrests.

I'd like him better if he established some hard rules of conduct and associated punishment. As it is, he is the sole judge and jury of player misconduct and punishment. If there were a code of punishments that were associated with charges it would remove all the arbitrariness.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Roger Goodell is ruining Football.

The helmet to helmet thing comes with a price. This is a violent game. You can make a penalty for it, but you better also make a penalty for "hitting too hard" cause I guarantee you you're not going to prevent helmet to helmet collisions by making a penalty. Some of them I don't believe occur on purpose.

Other than helmet to helmet fighting, I thought it was pathetic he made a rule for Overtime since the Vikings fan base *****ed and whined so much after their OT loss to the Saints. Where was their defense in Overtime? If you can't stop an offense in OT, you don't deserve to get a shot at scoring!

As for Steeler fans claiming he hates them, I don't know about that. if he truly did hate Pittsburgh he probably would have taken back their Super Bowl over the Seahawks that they won from penalties. There is a reason Mike Holmgren was not fined when he said they had to fight the refs in that game, and everyone that watched that game can tell you if John Madden says it's a ******** call, it more than likely is ******** calls.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like him better if he established some hard rules of conduct and associated punishment. As it is, he is the sole judge and jury of player misconduct and punishment. If there were a code of punishments that were associated with charges it would remove all the arbitrariness.

actually I believe this is one of the things that the union wants with the CBA and rightfully so. I'm pretty sure the Owners are willing to agree to something like this too

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a hypocrite. If he cared about player safety he wouldn't be pushing for more games. That would be like me telling my daughter not to play with knives and then giving her more knives. More games = more opportunities to get hurt. Flat out. No matter how safe you make the games, more games still puts players at greater risk.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
He's a hypocrite. If he cared about player safety he wouldn't be pushing for more games. That would be like me telling my daughter not to play with knives and then giving her more knives. More games = more opportunities to get hurt. Flat out. No matter how safe you make the games, more games still puts players at greater risk.

Oh I forgot about the 18 game season, so true, one thing I actual I agree with Hines Ward on.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bogie, head injuries are a real threat to the existence of the game. They've got to do something to minimize them. But if the league were really serious, they would have made the new anti-concussion helmets mandatory and head butting a mandatory immediate ejection. That includes a running back lowering his head into a defender. It will require a change in the way the game is played, but that is better than the game being outlawed. There is pretty compelling evidence that Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is a very real syndrome. Duerson may have been its latest victim.

PackersPete

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re:GODell...This is what I sent via e-mail to the NFL last year-

Dear NFL,
To Whom It May Concern,

On behalf of NFL fans everywhere, we hope Roger Goodell dies a horrible death in a tragic car accident.

Signed,
(Full Legal Name)

Re:The players

SHUT THE **** UP AND PLAY THE ******' GAME!!!! Your employer is the NFL! Don't like it, get the **** out!

Re:Helmet-to-helmet hits

It's part of the game! This league, like this country, is becoming way too pussified.

In the immortal words of St.Leary, "I can't believe I gotta get angry about this ****!"

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Here is why I don't like the new overtime rule. The first team to score has 3 downs to make their 10 yards and keep getting first downs to get in FG range.

The second team will have 4 downs.

Members online

Latest posts