Staying Warm At The Game

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems obvious now, but at the time of the 2007 championship game against the Giants I stumbled upon this gem serendipitous. I was drinking my prized Schlitz while tailgating and watching the Chargers/Patriots game outside. It was cold. I had on many layers and my 1-piece ice fishing suit. For some reason I had a small flask of schnapps in my inner pocket. Inside Lambeau I noticed for the first time ever (I'm not that observant) that they sold hot chocolate. Schnapps meet hot chocolate.

The only part of me that was cold for the rest of the game was my exposed face. I don't know why it took so many decades for me to realize that a hot beverage did wonders on a cold day. Although I'm sad that I can't make the game this weekend, I thought I would pass along this wisdom to anyone else.

Maybe "wisdom" is too strong of a word??? :tdown:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
lol.... nice.

No matter how many layers or how much liquid heat I put into my body, my feet are always freezing and when that happens at a game with as much standing that you do, I get uncomfy quick. My feet took a hell of a beating in the Marines, that might have something to do with the poor circulation to them.
The best way to stay the warmest IMO, is to stay on your couch with a nice HDTV and a few blankets.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to tell you drinkers one thing. LAY OFF THE BOOZE! I'm serious. You're flirting with severe hypothermia when it's -12 degrees outside. Limit yourself to 1 or 2 beers or you're just asking for trouble. Better yet, take a thermos of coffee with you. Regardless of how warm it might make you "feel," on the outside you're lowering your core temp by several degrees if you overdo it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems obvious now, but at the time of the 2007 championship game against the Giants I stumbled upon this gem serendipitous. I was drinking my prized Schlitz while tailgating and watching the Chargers/Patriots game outside. It was cold. I had on many layers and my 1-piece ice fishing suit. For some reason I had a small flask of schnapps in my inner pocket. Inside Lambeau I noticed for the first time ever (I'm not that observant) that they sold hot chocolate. Schnapps meet hot chocolate.

Maybe "wisdom" is too strong of a word??? :tdown:

Leave the Schnapps out of it and yeah, "wisdom" would be a good word.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol.... nice.

No matter how many layers or how much liquid heat I put into my body, my feet are always freezing and when that happens at a game with as much standing that you do, I get uncomfy quick. My feet took a hell of a beating in the Marines, that might have something to do with the poor circulation to them.
The best way to stay the warmest IMO, is to stay on your couch with a nice HDTV and a few blankets.

As goofy as it sounds, my Dad tipped me off to bring a flattened cardboard box or a piece of styrofoam to stand on. I felt like a nerd but pretty soon the people on either side had frozen feet and were asking to share my styrofoam.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As goofy as it sounds, my Dad tipped me off to bring a flattened cardboard box or a piece of styrofoam to stand on. I felt like a nerd but pretty soon the people on either side had frozen feet and were asking to share my styrofoam.
I've done that and it works but it's a pain to carry in and out with the rest of the necessary paraphenalia.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely - cardboard, styrofoam, or pink insulation board....all winners for keeping your feet off of the cold pavement. Cardboard folds up easily and is not a pain to carry, but insulates the least...but it's better than nothing. The pink (or blue) insulation works best. It's not hard to stuff a 1x1 ft piece into your jacket while walking.

Also good for the feet is extra big boots. You should be able to get two good sets of socks in there and still have wiggle room. In my experience, the #1 reason (besides the military!) that people have cold feet is that they put on thick socks and cram their feet into boots that aren't big enough so the blood can't circulate.

Also - for the record - I agree about the booze. It only makes you do stupid things in the cold....so keep buddies nearby to keep you from doing something stupid :D

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boots are very important. Get good, insulated boots so you don't have to wear multiple pairs of socks. You don't want your feet to sweat while walking. It will make them 10 times as cold when you stop walking. I always take in 2 pieces of cardboard since its easy to fold. Works very well under your feet.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to tell you drinkers one thing. LAY OFF THE BOOZE! I'm serious. You're flirting with severe hypothermia when it's -12 degrees outside. Limit yourself to 1 or 2 beers or you're just asking for trouble. Better yet, take a thermos of coffee with you. Regardless of how warm it might make you "feel," on the outside you're lowering your core temp by several degrees if you overdo it.
I don't think any cold drink will be on the menu. A beer will freeze over unless you just chug it. I've had them freeze upon opening at this temperature if they've been out for a while. Besides the news stated the hot chocolate and coffee will be free.
I'd highly recommend toe warmers over hand warmers in the boots. One) they have tape and stay in place where you put them [on top of the toes and under the arch] . Two) they are smaller than hand warmers so they fit better. The tape makes it convenient to put them over the ears if you are wearing two hats. Also tape one to the neck and another inside your collar to rub your cheeks on. Also tape one to the phone. The first word in LCD screen is liquid. I have had screens freeze up. Also helps your battery out. Hand warmers in the gloves, pockets. Body warmers inside the 2nd layer of clothing. Besides trying to keep feet off the concrete, keep the **** off the metal bleachers. Check stadium rules on carry ins like cushions. I thought they were banned this season. Rent them inside instead. You have to have a way to block the wind totally. In a pinch I've used rain suits while hunting under the outermost layer. Plastic / vinyl will just shred at these temperatures though. Wear mittens in lieu of gloves, your fingers like their friends and will stay warmer as a group. Vaseline on any exposed skin and also on the feet. Wind burn just hurts. Just don't anyone go macho and try to go topless!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wear mittens in lieu of gloves, your fingers like their friends and will stay warmer as a group. Vaseline on any exposed skin and also on the feet. Wind burn just hurts. Just don't anyone go macho and try to go topless!

Mitten was going to be my tip...

Something under your feet is another good tip...Along with bigger boots so toes can move..With foot warmers, and nice wool socks..

I had a pair of wool pants when I hunted. So damn warm!!!

And no alcohol is true as well..

http://mentalfloss.com/article/32256/does-drinking-alcohol-really-keep-you-warm-when-its-cold-out

Someone enjoying a drink in the cold may feel warmer from the extra blood warming his skin, but that blood will rapidly cool thanks to the chill in the air. Plus, the warmth caused by blood rushing to the skin will also make him sweat, decreasing his core temperature even further. The rapid drop often occurs without the drinker realizing it, because his skin will still feel fairly warm, which makes it doubly dangerous to drink alcohol in extremely cold weather. (You might want to put down the coffee, too; caffeine has a similar effect.)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

This is just making me laugh here.......I was there in the October in 2003, and one day I was sitting outside the stadium wearing a polo shirt, and it was like a late summer day. Two days later, I was walking around wearing coat, teeshirt, shirt, sweater, gloves and hat, and had never felt so cold in my life. I HAD to go back to my hotel and spent the afternoon curled up on the mat infront of the log fire trying to warm up. I actually felt lightheaded and sleepy which I found out later was the onset of Hypothermia.
Good luck at the game whoever is going

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't drink alcohol or drink a ton of hot beverages. Alcohol lowers your blood pressure and body temperature, as does hot drinks.

I'd avoid staying in your seat for extended periods. Get up and move around every once in a while. IDK if anybody works out or exercises, try to do it before the game.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
All great tips here.... and yes El G, they sell hot chocolate at Lambeau. They sell really GOOD hot chocolate at Lambeau and yeah... Schnapps and Hot Chocolate go fantastic together.... I've done it there, but in November...in December and January, I do the hot chocolate only. Know what? I'm going to run out and get some schnapps for Sunday...always have hot chocolate in house.

I don't go to stadium much anymore but there was a time when I hit them all. Preseason, regular season, cold weather games .. made no never mind to me...but...the greatest invention known to man in Wisconsin is the heated hunting sock! I'm not kidding....if you're going to the game, I'd make a run over to Fleet Farm (or Farm and Fleet depending on where you live) and get yourself some battery powered, heated hunting socks and be sure to take an additional set of batteries with you. When you do this, and go the game and don't freeze to death because the feet are the first thing to go, you'll be sitting there thinking: "Yeah, this weeds guy, fantastic tip ... I think I'll send him all of my money".

Oh...and the insulation board for putting your feet on? Also a MUST DO!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All great tips here.... and yes El G, they sell hot chocolate at Lambeau. They sell really GOOD hot chocolate at Lambeau and yeah... Schnapps and Hot Chocolate go fantastic together.... I've done it there, but in November...in December and January, I do the hot chocolate only. Know what? I'm going to run out and get some schnapps for Sunday...always have hot chocolate in house.

I don't go to stadium much anymore but there was a time when I hit them all. Preseason, regular season, cold weather games .. made no never mind to me...but...the greatest invention known to man in Wisconsin is the heated hunting sock! I'm not kidding....if you're going to the game, I'd make a run over to Fleet Farm (or Farm and Fleet depending on where you live) and get yourself some battery powered, heated hunting socks and be sure to take an additional set of batteries with you. When you do this, and go the game and don't freeze to death because the feet are the first thing to go, you'll be sitting there thinking: "Yeah, this weeds guy, fantastic tip ... I think I'll send him all of my money".

Oh...and the insulation board for putting your feet on? Also a MUST DO!
I for got about those battery powered socks. It's been decades since I owned a pair.
Mine, back in the day, ran off 9 volt batteries. Perhaps modern technology has improved them.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I for got about those battery powered socks. It's been decades since I owned a pair.
Mine, back in the day, ran off 9 volt batteries. Perhaps modern technology has improved them.

Yep, mine are 9 volt. My son worships the very ground I walk on for getting him a pair too. Haha... the pair before, used D cell ... lasted an hour and time to replace the battery.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
First, don’t be old. No matter how good shape you’re in, when you get old you get colder. This is from Maraniss’ When Pride Still Mattered. Page 416 in the chapter on the Ice Bowl titled simply “Ice”. Bob Kaminsky from Two Rivers is quoted saying this, “This is what I wore: Longjohns. Work shoes. Over the work shoes I put those heavy gray woolen socks that came over the knees. Pair of galoshes over that. Flannel pajamas over the longjohns. Work overalls. A T-shirt. Flannel shirt. Insulated sweatsuit. Heavy Parka. Face mask with holes for mouth and eyes. Wool tassel cap. And then I climbed into a sleeping bag. I had foam on the ground and seat for my feet and butt. I was not cold.”

Foam is a great idea and so are sleeping bags. Years ago I discovered heated socks weeds is talking about. Highly recommended.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With the new carry in rules, can a sleeping bag be brought in?

Nm, just heard you can bring in a sleeping bag

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully this will clean up the drunks... keep the alcoholics away.
If we lose, this will really suck because we already had one of these rare supercold losses to the Giants 6 years ago, painful for the fans and the players.

January 04, 2014
Historic freeze could break Midwest temp records

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — It has been decades since parts of the Midwest experienced a deep freeze like the one expected to arrive Sunday, with potential record-low temperatures heightening fears of frostbite and hypothermia even in a region where residents are accustomed to bundling up.

This "polar vortex," as one meteorologist calls it, is caused by a counterclockwise-rotating pool of cold, dense air. The frigid air, piled up at the North Pole, will be pushed down to the U.S., funneling it as far south as the Gulf Coast.

"All the ingredients are there for a near-record or historic cold outbreak," he said "If you're under 40 (years old), you've never seen this stuff before."

The temperature predictions are startling: 25 below zero in Fargo, N.D., minus 31 in International Falls, Minn., and 15 below in Indianapolis and Chicago. At those temperatures, exposed skin can get frostbitten in minutes and hypothermia can quickly set in because wind chills could hit 50, 60 or even 70 below zero.

Sunday's playoff game in Green Bay could be among one of the coldest NFL games ever played. Temperatures at Lambeau Field are expected to be a frigid minus 2 degrees when the Packers and San Francisco 49ers kickoff, and by the fourth quarter it'll be a bone-chilling minus 7, with wind chills approaching minus 30, according to the National Weather Service. Officials are warning fans to take extra safety measures to stay warm including dressing in layers and sipping warm drinks.

Minnesota called off school for Monday statewide, the first such closing in 17 years, because of projected highs in the minus teens and lows as cold as 30 below. Milwaukee and Madison, Wis., students also won't be in class Monday.

http://www.mail.com/news/world/2552...midwest-temp-records.html#.7518-stage-hero1-2

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got back from GB east side Fleet Farm. They are just about out of toe warmers. Plenty of hand warmers and large or body warmers left. On sale too yet. Went to the ice fishing area and saw insulated liners that zip over the top of your boots for about $45. They are advertised to reflect 95% of body heat back into your boots. Also plenty of gloves/mittens styles. Some with pockets for hand warmers. Rechargeable remote controlled boot insoles for $130 or so. Supposed to last 5 hours after charging. Didn't see electric socks but again I wasn't looking for them.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the 2007 NFC title game and I was fine with everything except my toes. The heated socks would have been nice. I did bring cardboard in and that didn't help at all. Oh well. Never doing it again, so nothing for me to worry about!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yall are crazy. Even if sombody gave me free tickets to be right behind the bench i wouldn't go!! Im from the midwest but my body NEVER got used to cold weather..especially not that kinda cold. Thank God for NFL Sunday ticket..oh and living in Texas where it's 60 degrees in the winter :)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yall are crazy. Even if sombody gave me free tickets to be right behind the bench i wouldn't go!! Im from the midwest but my body NEVER got used to cold weather..especially not that kinda cold. Thank God for NFL Sunday ticket..oh and living in Texas where it's 60 degrees in the winter :)

When I was younger I was damn crazy. No more. That 1990 game vs. the Lions - half of the cars in the Lambeau parking lot would not start after the game. It was AAA service mayhem in there. Frankly ... it sucked!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can keep your 115 degree summers. I'll take the nice 75-85 degree summers.

Members online

Latest posts