stats....

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard much discussion and many numbers on this site and wanted to inject some insight as they relate to where we have been and where it appears we are heading.

Defensively we ranked 7th overall last year. Did we really? We ranked 19th in scoring defense a much more relevent number IMO.

Why the discrepency? How could there be such a spread from 7th in yards allowed to 19th in scoring?

Two reasons I can see. First, turnovers, and second, special teams. Two areas that directly affect field position.

Other factors contributed to this as well. For one, our offense, unlike previous years, did not necessitate the opponents to HAVE to score and keep up with us.

With our "O" line not being affective and many players injured we saw Brett way to often caught between a rock and a hard place. How many times did we see us do nothing on first and second down, the defense load up to blitz, and, Brett, trying to get the ball to the one guy he could rely on, DD, who was being double teamed!

With no running game, and Walker out, the more vertical WCO we ran became a turnover magnet.

We never had decent special teams under Sherman. Ever. He didn't draft good athletic guys like Blackmon or Poppy and we were always overmatched in that aspect of the game.

I really like to hear MM working on the first and second down part of the offense. A true committment to putting Brett in a position where he can rip the defense up and have them on their heals.

As far as defense goes. Wow. Two shutdown corners, speed at linebacker, some depth at corner and safety. Hawk giving us that attitude and leadership we need.

How many teams have TWO shutdown corners. And with Woodson, Hawk, and some others contributing big against the run I think we will be much better there too.

No 19th in scoring defense this year.

I can see us actually winning the turnover battle this year.

I can see us winning the special teams battles this year.

I can see us battling for the NFC North this year and it coming down to the final game against Da' Bears. And if it get's down to that, no way, will Brett let them lose that game.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post, Warhawk.

You made some very good points. The special teams needs improvement. Haven't had good returns since Rossum. I would like to see Ryan boom some punts and place a good percentage in the coffen corner this season.

The TO ratio needs to be positive for the Pack to be sucessful, IMO.

I believe we have enough quality players on defense to create more TO's this coming season.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it was but it's encouraging to see the addition of Woodson, Pickett, Hawk and Hodge. These people should upgrade our run defense. Unlike the last couple of years that really only saw Collins added in which obviously paid off.

I beleive we will see more blitz packages and zone blitzing than in the past and with Woodson and Harris going man one would think this could be very effective. Unlike the past where it seemed more often than not when we would try this stuff we would get burned.

It's not going to easy to exploit this defense and nothing should come easy for any offense going up against it.

Many Many changes vs. very little changes in the past few years. But the changes are not overly complex, more basic, let's do a few things really good.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really depends on two things...

Before I get to them I have to say I'm confident in the defense that we have now. I used to hate watching Green Bay's Defense but now I'm excited about it. We have the makings of something special here and something that could last a long time.

Now onto what Green Bay needs to do on offense to win the NFC North.

1. Run the Ball. Sherman gave up on the run to early in games. McCarthy wants to use the run to his advantage. I like that idea. Now the question is depth at RB. Green and Davenport are coming off of injuries. Green might not be here until mid August actually. So that means Gado is the man this off season. I expect Green to split carries with Gado and Davenport to be that 4th quarter back/short yardage back. If they can stay healthy that's the most important thing. The line needs to work better as a unit as well but health is a concern.

2. Brett Favre. Favre threw 29 INT's last year. Anyone else remember that. Sure we want to forget it but that's what happens. Fact is if Favre plays like he did a year ago this team won't win 8 games. He needs to play smarter. He can't win every game on his own. He has a couple in him I'm sure but he needs to rely on the guys around him now. The running game is where it starts like I said above. Favre needs to let Driver, Gardner, Franks, Fergy, and Jennings make the plays for him.

If this happens I expect Green Bay to win the North. If not I expect another long year. Realistically is can happen.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky,
I agree with you that our running backs need to stay healthy and would hope what happened last year won't repeat itself.

I like what I am hearing about MM pulling back on the more vertical WCO Sherman ran last year. With our problems running the ball I felt we put it on Brett's shoulders way to often in obvious situations along with the fact that he pressed too often to make something happen.

Remember, JJ was the tight ends coach previously, and I believe he has a lot to do with the scheme changing somewhat and calling for the TE's to run downfield more.

If Brett does go downfield, but more to the TE's being covered by LB's there is less likely the chance of INT's that we saw so much of last year.

I still saw from Brett last year that ability to zip the ball on the money on those slants and outs. It looked to me that he got in trouble on those long 3rd downs where he forced passes into double coverage.

Sometimes you just have to pass it over to one of the guys on the sidelines and punt. It happens. I can see Brett gaining the confidence in the defense that will allow him to do just that. Knowing the "D" will hold and get him the ball back.

Members online

Latest posts