State of the Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OTA's and mini camps are done and now we wait for the start of training camp. It looks as if the coaching staff has determined that they have some pretty good linebacks and are happy with the defensive line. They seem to think that their receivers are going to be pretty good. Althought the running back situation isn't yet settled they appear to be happy with their depth. The offensive line is still a mess. The rookies seem to be shinning in the OTA's. That either speaks highly of their quality or it speaks volumes for those guys who got drafted in the past who can't play. Once again the defensive backfield, which we all thought was going to be a strength, may indeed be pulling apart by the seams. We still don't have a kicker and out punting situation needs to be resolved too.

I think two things need to happen when training camp opens up. Mike McCarthy is going to have to come out as a strong willed coach in regards to stopping the nonsense that has been going on in GB for way too long. He needs to send a message to his players that there will be consequences for bad play and lack of commitment to the team. The last thing that he needs to do is set the bar a lot higher as to his expectations for this team. Conference championships, making the playoffs and reclaiming Lambeau as a place that teams fear coming to should be a top priority and everything else that happens in camp should be based on achieving those goals.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my view the nonsense appears to be the lack of control of the coaches and gm. These past few years we've had some issues with the likes of Mike McKenzie, Javon Walker and now it seems that Harris is unhappy. We just signed a free agent and he apears to have blown off the entire OTA session. Now there might be leditimate reasons for that, however I think the coaching staff needs to make sure that they are steadfast with what their expectations are and not be afraid to live with the end result of toughening up a little bit. Again, my very humble opinion is that the Packers have lost some of their prestige. I'd like to see them regain that.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
From my view the nonsense appears to be the lack of control of the coaches and gm. These past few years we've had some issues with the likes of Mike McKenzie, Javon Walker and now it seems that Harris is unhappy. We just signed a free agent and he apears to have blown off the entire OTA session. Now there might be leditimate reasons for that, however I think the coaching staff needs to make sure that they are steadfast with what their expectations are and not be afraid to live with the end result of toughening up a little bit. Again, my very humble opinion is that the Packers have lost some of their prestige. I'd like to see them regain that.

Everything you said was and is related to Mike Sherman and he's no longer with us.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of it is to Mike Sherman, but there are residual effects that this coaching staff is going to have to deal with. Which was jist of my post. The Packers have answered some questions and they there are still some that need to be answered, but the key is to change the mindset of the team that our expectations are higher and we're not going to put up with that nonsense. If you want to hold out and not play for us and you're under contract, you're not going to play for anyone. Unfortunately, we keep sending the wrong message to the members of this team that it's ok not to show up andif you hold out and cause problems we'll trade you. Maybe that's the way it should be, but it is my opinion that the athletes of this century are a different breed and too many of them don't understand the importance of playing together. I don't mean that so much as a criticism as I do a point of opinion.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Most of it is to Mike Sherman, but there are residual effects that this coaching staff is going to have to deal with. Which was jist of my post. The Packers have answered some questions and they there are still some that need to be answered, but the key is to change the mindset of the team that our expectations are higher and we're not going to put up with that nonsense. If you want to hold out and not play for us and you're under contract, you're not going to play for anyone. Unfortunately, we keep sending the wrong message to the members of this team that it's ok not to show up andif you hold out and cause problems we'll trade you. Maybe that's the way it should be, but it is my opinion that the athletes of this century are a different breed and too many of them don't understand the importance of playing together. I don't mean that so much as a criticism as I do a point of opinion.

That's correct, this team is no different attitude wise right now than it was under Sherman. Look at all the people who didn't show up for OTA's. You have Harris now unhappy, Woodson nowhere to be found and a coach painting the "everything is fine picture." It may be fine, if you want to be mediocre, but I thought we had a "WHOLE NEW PLAN"

MM is losing me real fast. I desire to see a team who is dedicated to winning, and this just does not look like one of them.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most teams need to hit rock bottom before they can start their upswing towards success. Many Packer fans think that last year was rock bottom and this year starts the improvement. I hope to hell they are right.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to tell. OTA's is not how you tell a team's attitude. It's by Training Camp. I did watch a practice and I did see some good things. I wish Bates got the job but it's to early for me to say McCarthy doesn't have control over the team. Outside of Harris, nobody has made any threats and it appears Harris is going to report and that him holding out THIS year was a false report.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Too early to tell. OTA's is not how you tell a team's attitude. It's by Training Camp. I did watch a practice and I did see some good things. I wish Bates got the job but it's to early for me to say McCarthy doesn't have control over the team. Outside of Harris, nobody has made any threats and it appears Harris is going to report and that him holding out THIS year was a false report.

Not sure this can be written off as False considering Al has said himself he's not sure.

Green Bay cornerback Al Harris, who has boycotted the Packers' voluntary practices this month over unhappiness with his contract, said Tuesday night that he might not report for the start of training camp July 28.

"It's not 100%, that's for sure," Harris said from his home in Coral Springs, Fla. "I'd like to come and do my job, but everyone's got to be fair, too. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out."

Harris' comments were in direct contrast to those made last month by both him and his agent, Jack Bechta.

The Packers' 14 practices in June have been voluntary but training camp is anything but. And up until this point, the Harris camp said he wouldn't miss anything that was mandatory.

Tuesday night, though, Harris was singing a different tune.

"I've got to do what's best for me and my family," said Harris, who turns 32 in December. "And now we're on the clock. I'm not getting any younger, so I have to take a business approach to it."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His agent said yesterday that it'd be news to him if Harris doesn't report to Training Camp.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Al understands he has many years on his contract yet and will be patient with the team, to a degree, to get his money.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, i'm not ready to throw in the towel on the season yet. i mean, they're supposed to actually PLAY the games before we truly know how things are gonna go, right?

don't get me wrong - i'm not real happy with the lack of participation on several players parts & the lack of a brand new coaches ability to get them motivated to be there. just not ready to declare this season a wash until proven otherwise.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris signed an 18 million dollar contract two years ago. If a man can't take care of his family on 18 million dollars then I don't know what it is he needs to have. This isn't about taking care of his family. A guy making $30,000 who just got laid off has to worry about taking care of his family. Al Harris has earned more money in his short career than most of us will make in a life time. He signed a contract. We're not talking about a pauper here, we're talking about a milionaire athlete who wants more money because of his ego, not because he needs it. It is that ego and the problems that stem from it that needs to be arrested under this coaching staff. There appears to be no "team attitude first" here. You just can't win in today's game without that. If you look back at the Packers Superbowl years, they got there because they were a team. Now after winning one Superbowl and losing the second one, that is when the "team first" attitude seemed to leave us. That tone was set as much by the coach as it was to become a team in the first place. When Holgren couldn't wait to get out of town, that selfishness spread like wildfire. The leader of this team, who should be the coach has to set that standard. I'm telling you right now, I haven't seen anything these past few weeks that has led me to believe that it is going to be any different under McCarthy than it was under Sherman.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Harris signed an 18 million dollar contract two years ago. If a man can't take care of his family on 18 million dollars then I don't know what it is he needs to have. This isn't about taking care of his family. A guy making $30,000 who just got laid off has to worry about taking care of his family. Al Harris has earned more money in his short career than most of us will make in a life time. He signed a contract. We're not talking about a pauper here, we're talking about a milionaire athlete who wants more money because of his ego, not because he needs it. It is that ego and the problems that stem from it that needs to be arrested under this coaching staff. There appears to be no "team attitude first" here. You just can't win in today's game without that. If you look back at the Packers Superbowl years, they got there because they were a team. Now after winning one Superbowl and losing the second one, that is when the "team first" attitude seemed to leave us. That tone was set as much by the coach as it was to become a team in the first place. When Holgren couldn't wait to get out of town, that selfishness spread like wildfire. The leader of this team, who should be the coach has to set that standard. I'm telling you right now, I haven't seen anything these past few weeks that has led me to believe that it is going to be any different under McCarthy than it was under Sherman.
This is SOOOOO how i feel!!! These millionaire cry babies make me sick! Unless his "family" is the entire state of California, Harris is making PLENTY of money. There IS no "team" anymore. It's all about ME ME ME!!! I wish these primadonnas had to get REAL jobs for a year. Maybe they would wake up and SEE just how cushy they have it, and APPRECIATE it more!

I don't blame the coach though, as he can't FORCE these idiots to grow up, honor their contracts and be MEN.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:evil: These millionaire cry babies are a disgrace to the human race. A fan works a lifetime and earns less in that time then a player does in one year. I have absolutely no respect or concern for those type of players. I would prefer they not wear the Green & Gold regardless of the outcome. You hold out on a signed contract, your on the street. Or as the old Scot always said; "Hit The Bloody Road you Bloody Bugger"! Blackmail is still Blackmail and should be treated as such!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
His agent said yesterday that it'd be news to him if Harris doesn't report to Training Camp.

Yeah but Al said otherwise.

Al said he would not be missing anything mandatory.

Yep so unless he changes his mind and goes back on his word, he'll be there.

MNPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately people seem to paint the team with broad strokes. Because Harris is complaining/not showing up for OTA's the whole team has a bad attitude. What about players like Kampman, Driver, Barnett? I believe you have good and bad on every team. The question is how many leaders do you have and can they get the team behind them.

As far as Harris and Woodson go, It is TT's decisions on this not Sherman's.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MNPackerfan said:
Unfortunately people seem to paint the team with broad strokes. Because Harris is complaining/not showing up for OTA's the whole team has a bad attitude. What about players like Kampman, Driver, Barnett? I believe you have good and bad on every team. The question is how many leaders do you have and can they get the team behind them.

As far as Harris and Woodson go, It is TT's decisions on this not Sherman's.
I'm not saying the whole team. I'm saying guys like Woodsen, McKenzie, Walker, Sharper, the list could go on and on. Guys like that make me sick. They never have ENOUGH. No matter HOW rich they get. While average people like me can hardly afford to go to ONE game, IF we are lucky.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, everything is relative but isn't Harris the guy with the huge estate in Florida and 5 (count 'em 5!) luxary cars, like Bentley, Mercedes, etc.? When I hear him spout about taking care of his "family", I want to puke! With him, and others like him, it's all about greed and the fear that someone else is making more money than him. Family? Bull$hit, I say. Anyone naive enough to believe that had better hide his money under his mattress and not invest it.

Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
Of course, everything is relative but isn't Harris the guy with the huge estate in Florida and 5 (count 'em 5!) luxary cars, like Bentley, Mercedes, etc.? When I hear him spout about taking care of his "family", I want to puke! With him, and others like him, it's all about greed and the fear that someone else is making more money than him. Family? Bull$hit, I say. Anyone naive enough to believe that had better hide his money under his mattress and not invest it.

:joy: GREAT POST. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts