State of the North

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1/4 of the way of the season the North has no teams below .500. What are people's take on the division? Here are my initial thoughts

1. There isnt a great team. There is a great defense in Chicago but they are far from a great team.
2. It is offensively challenged. Not a single team has over 100 points so far. Detroit actually has the most points but they have played easily the worst defenses.
3. Minnesota is the disappointment so far. Their offense if from the 1950s. That will win them some games because their defense is very good but it is hard for me to see them beating really good teams. The pass protection is still going to hold them back. Cousins is average at best and their kicking game isnt good.
4. Detroit or GB are the surprise teams. The Lions are a couple plays away from being 4-0. So are the Packers. Both teams obviously have question marks but I think each fan base would have been happy with their records if you asked them a month ago.
5. Home field advantage in the NFC wont come from this division. It is too deep. Doubt any team goes better than 4-2 in the division and our non-conference schedule including the Chiefs, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys and others isnt easy.
6. Strictly speaking the Packers are in the drivers seat being the only team with a road win. At the same time it is hard for me to see them winning the division. Their run defense scares me. I think the offense will has started to come around but man do they need another wr.

I think Chicago is still the favorite but their next 6 games are very tough. Raiders in London isnt hard but then Saints, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, and Rams. You would think 4-2 would be a solid run. If they stumble I think the door opens up for other teams.

Reaction score
1/4 of the way of the season the North has no teams below .500. What are people's take on the division? Here are my initial thoughts

1. There isnt a great team. There is a great defense in Chicago but they are far from a great team.
2. It is offensively challenged. Not a single team has over 100 points so far. Detroit actually has the most points but they have played easily the worst defenses.
3. Minnesota is the disappointment so far. Their offense if from the 1950s. That will win them some games because their defense is very good but it is hard for me to see them beating really good teams. The pass protection is still going to hold them back. Cousins is average at best and their kicking game isnt good.
4. Detroit or GB are the surprise teams. The Lions are a couple plays away from being 4-0. So are the Packers. Both teams obviously have question marks but I think each fan base would have been happy with their records if you asked them a month ago.
5. Home field advantage in the NFC wont come from this division. It is too deep. Doubt any team goes better than 4-2 in the division and our non-conference schedule including the Chiefs, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys and others isnt easy.
6. Strictly speaking the Packers are in the drivers seat being the only team with a road win. At the same time it is hard for me to see them winning the division. Their run defense scares me. I think the offense will has started to come around but man do they need another wr.

I think Chicago is still the favorite but their next 6 games are very tough. Raiders in London isnt hard but then Saints, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, and Rams. You would think 4-2 would be a solid run. If they stumble I think the door opens up for other teams.
Every team in our division is vulnerable. But nobody can ignore what we did to the Bears at Soldier. That was an absolute tone setter. Chicago is a very good team to beat period, much less in their house. Right now it’s GBs Division to lose IMO.

I”ll stand by my 11-5 forecast. We will probably lose 2 more by week 8 starting 5-3. Then finish 6-2 including sweeping Chicago. Everything changes if or when we find a solution at WR #2 and ILB #2

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team in our division is vulnerable. But nobody can ignore what we did to the Bears at Soldier. That was an absolute tone setter. Chicago is a very good team to beat period, much less in their house. Right now it’s GBs Division to lose IMO.

I”ll stand by my 11-5 forecast. We will probably lose 2 more by week 8 starting 5-3. Then finish 6-2 including sweeping Chicago. Everything changes if or when we find a solution at WR #2 and ILB #2
I think we might need a wr1 for a bit too with adams toe injury

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Lions are a couple plays away from being 4-0. So are the Packers.
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the Packers could also be 0-4. Turnovers were the Packers friend in games 1-3, no such luck in game 4.

Now if Adams isn't out long, the Packers can find a consistent offense and the defense is better with Burks, this team could win the division. However, I think they are going to keep needing to force turnovers and that may be the difference between some W's and L's. I don't see this team being able to blow out anyone on their schedule, except maybe Washington, but that game isn't until Dec.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Admit that the Lions were the ones who surprised me the most. Held their own against Chiefs and generally has come with crucial wins.

Vikings are the most disappointing of all. Have talent but generally play under their potential.

It'll be upto us vs Bears for the title and we have an edge.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the Packers could also be 0-4. Turnovers were the Packers friend in games 1-3, no such luck in game 4.

Now if Adams isn't out long, the Packers can find a consistent offense and the defense is better with Burks, this team could win the division. However, I think they are going to keep needing to force turnovers and that may be the difference between some W's and L's. I don't see this team being able to blow out anyone on their schedule, except maybe Washington, but that game isn't until Dec.

Agreed. The Packers could be 0-4. I forget all the Lions games but I know they could easily be 1-3. Bears could easily be 2-2. Vikings have only had one close game with the Packers. They have played 2 bad teams at home and 2 good teams on the road and their record seems about right

Reaction score
I just don't understand paying a QB millions of $$$$$ without giving him someone to throw after releasing Cobb
Yes, we needed to shore up our defense from last year but it's obvious Rodgers is holding the check book.

Remember the games when Rodgers use to throw to 3-4 different receivers.

Cheer up, there's always next year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yes, but sadly, those 3-4 different receivers for next year, don't currently appear to be on the roster (except for Adams of course). That may change or the Packers may find themselves with the task of combining both Free Agency and the draft to try and fix it, something I feel they are already a year or 2 behind on doing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand paying a QB millions of $$$$$ without giving him someone to throw after releasing Cobb
Yes, we needed to shore up our defense from last year but it's obvious Rodgers is holding the check book.

Remember the last game when he threw it to 9 different people that had receptions? It was only like 4-5 days ago. Maybe that's why you can only remember him throwing to 3-4 receivers? anything above 5 is too much?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My daring prediction is that the Packers have problems brewing in Detroit.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Chicago is still the favorite but their next 6 games are very tough. Raiders in London isnt hard but then Saints, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, and Rams.

The Raiders aren't a pushover for the Bears having to start Chase Daniel either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Raiders aren't a pushover for the Bears having to start Chase Daniel either.

I actually think the Bears might be better off with Daniel, at least short term. Trubisky hasn't impressed me much at all. Maybe he needs more time and watching Daniel run the same offense might help him out long term. All that said, the Bears are defined by their defense and will only go as far as their defense takes them. As long as they have a QB who isn't going to make mistakes and cash in on opportune scoring situations, the Bears will win quite a few games and I think Chase will be better managing games like than that Trubisky.

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually think the Bears might be better off with Daniel, at least short term. Trubisky hasn't impressed me much at all. Maybe he needs more time and watching Daniel run the same offense might help him out long term. All that said, the Bears are defined by their defense and will only go as far as their defense takes them. As long as they have a QB who isn't going to make mistakes and cash in on opportune scoring situations, the Bears will win quite a few games and I think Chase will be better managing games like than that Trubisky.

You might be right about that but in my opinion that doesn't change the Raiders won't be a pushover for the Bears, especially considering the game will be played in London.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be right about that but in my opinion that doesn't change the Raiders won't be a pushover for the Bears, especially considering the game will be played in London.

You are right that the London part is a factor. I just don't see the Raiders moving the ball at all on the Bears. Hope I am wrong but the Raiders lost by 18 and 20 to the two good teams they have played unless you call the Colts good

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad was all impressed that the Bears looked decent without Mitch, and I'm like, it's not hard to replace a ****** QB LOL. They're all ball control offense, not asked to do much. No pressure is put on it because their defense is where the investments are made and they carry that team. You can win a lot with defense and special teams, it's not secret. Make a couple plays and go up by 2 scores in the 2nd half and it's almost a guaranteed loss for a team like that though. Daniels or Mitch.

But a couple weeks of seeing Daniels NOT try and open up an offense, defenses will play them differently as well. You'll likely see his numbers go down somewhat.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the last game when he threw it to 9 different people that had receptions? It was only like 4-5 days ago. Maybe that's why you can only remember him throwing to 3-4 receivers? anything above 5 is too much?

Well yeah, but it was like 10 days since he did that (well threw to 9 with 8 getting receptions)....that is an egregious span of days to go without targeting more receivers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The first quarter of any NFL season is easily the least informative about how things will turn out in the end. With how reduced training camps are now and how little most coaches use the preseason for their starters, it's basically a cliche to call weeks 1-4 "extended preseason."

So conclusions based on the first four weeks need to be taken well salted. Much can and will change. At the moment, this is what appears to be the case in the NFCN:
  • Bears:
  • Mitchell Trubisky has not progressed. If anything, he's worse. The most effective version of Trubisky was a runner and a passer. He's doing very little of that. From the pocket, he's toothless.
  • The Bears may have something in the duo of Cohen and Montgomery.
  • The defense is as good or better compared to the 2018, Vic Fangio led version.
  • Vikings:
  • This run heavy offense does not appear to suit Kirk Cousins. When a team is running as often as Minnesota is, the QB should be hyper efficient. Instead, his YPA, QB Rating, and Sack % are all actually worse than his career averages.
  • The running game is well executed and clearly suits Cook. However, when it isn't completely successful, the offense isn't dangerous.
  • For the most part, the defense is thriving from talent and continuity. However, some of the secondary pieces (esp. Rhodes) are not what they were.
  • Lions:
  • An offense that runs the ball and takes shots downfield is a better use of Stafford's skill set than the horizontal passing game of a guy like Jim Bob ******.
  • The Lions have quietly accumulated a lot of talent at the skill positions (Johnson at RB; Golladay and Jones at WR; Hockenson and James at TE).
  • The Detroit defense is going to keep them in a lot of games. Their defensive line lacks true sack artists, but they are all stout run defenders who can collapse the pocket when coverage holds up.
  • Packers:
  • Rodgers and Petals can unlock a very effective offense is they compromise in their approaches.
  • The offense lacks a reliable release valve, someone who can make plays with the ball.
  • The influx of talent on defense is visible and should keep them in a lot more games.
I think this division is going to be tightly packed throughout. The Lions have been the most surprising team to me. If I had to pick a division loser right now, it would be the Vikings. Cousins just hasn't been impressive, and while their defense is good, it's not as dominant as Chicago's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Minnesota is realizing that you don't get to have the talent they have on defense, RB and WR group; AND get to have a top tier QB. If the game complimented that then everyone would be stacked. Bears have a top tier defense but their QB sucks. We have a top tier QB and secondary but our run D and other offensive personnel are not as good. You don't get it all. You have to give up something. I think the Lions know what they are doing as much as I hate to admit it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Only one man can turn that Viking Franchise around!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read an article at cbssports.com yesterday. It was about Diggs possibly getting traded, but it morphed into an article about what appears to be a lot of backbiting and infighting in the Vikings team.This centers around the ineffectiveness of Kirk Cousins.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read an article at cbssports.com yesterday. It was about Diggs possibly getting traded, but it morphed into an article about what appears to be a lot of backbiting and infighting in the Vikings team.This centers around the ineffectiveness of Kirk Cousins.
I can believe the infighting. Did you hear Thielen's comments after their game against the Bears? He pretty much called out Cousins without saying his name,I was suprised.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can believe the infighting. Did you hear Thielen's comments after their game against the Bears? He pretty much called out Cousins without saying his name,I was suprised.
It's the sign of a team that's not quite together, but then that's the pitfalls of paying these people so much and making it more about the player than the team. It's going to happen. Now you have a 30 million dollar a year player, guaranteed money who's missing wide open receivers for TD's and they're losing games when they have high expectations.

But I don't follow their team enough to know if this is something, or just something the media is making into something. I read what he said, but didn't read that much into it. Maybe i missed something, but it just seemed like he said they have to be able to pass the ball better when the run isn't working. he wasn't wrong. That's no different than saying we need to run the ball better. It's not necessarily calling people out, it's just stating the obvious.

These guys get asked why they lost, it would be different if he said, our QB can't get us the ball while we running open, but he didn't quite say that. Just said they needed to be able to open it up with the pass when the run isn't working. But I also heard Zimmer say "you'd have to ask him" when asked why Cousins was struggling against good teams and a few other comments, so adding them all up, it's definitely not a good look coming out of MN right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If there is a problem in Minnesota, I am sure Greg Jennings will become the new expert on what the cause of it is. :coffee:

Latest posts