Starting to see it..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Something a young team needs early is some success, then something starts to build a little... Confidence. A young hungry confident team is a team that is a dangerous team for the opposition. Hopefully we can carry some of that post Chargers game..

Here is to a 2-0 start.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really disappointed in our OL so far, but one positive thing stands out for me...the young SPIRIT on our STs. They'll turn around some more games this year with their hustle and hitting. It's been way too long since we've been able to say that.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Did you notice when they put Colledge outside at left tackle in pass protection.. looked pretty solid. Something tells me.. Clifton might be hurting worse than he is willing to say.. or maybe is his starting to go downhill.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really disappointed in our OL so far, but one positive thing stands out for me...the young SPIRIT on our STs. They'll turn around some more games this year with their hustle and hitting. It's been way too long since we've been able to say that.

See, this is why we need Favre in there. I want as much as anyone (except Cal2GreenBay) to see Rodgers succeed. As I've said before, we're planning to retire in Chico and I'd love to see a hometown boy succeed. But only Favre can survive a line like that. He took 4 sacks last week, and probably broke 3 or 4 last week as well. He also dodged tons of blitzes this week. The Giants were definitely coming at him, they just couldn't get him. I don't think people realize how dangerous it is in the NFL to play behind a bad OL.

That said, I don't think there's anyone on this board any more who think Favre is washed up. With no running game, he carried the O for us today spreading the ball around to seven different receivers and threw 14 consecutive completions in the 2nd half to break the Giants' backs. I think when we got to 21-13, their morale went from high to zero.

As I've said a million times, put P Manning behind that line and see how well he does. Instead of setting records, they'll be carrying him off the field on a stretcher.

As for our STs, yeah, I'm really excited. We went from being the 2nd worst to being one of the best in only one year. That's pretty dang impressive.

Reaction score
Did you notice when they put Colledge outside at left tackle in pass protection.. looked pretty solid. Something tells me.. Clifton might be hurting worse than he is willing to say.. or maybe is his starting to go downhill.

He hurt his ankle, but got back in at LT before the game was over.

I was disappointed with Coston, he seemed to get pushed back at the line, and his man was free to disturb the backfield.

But having won 6 straight, and going back home to play a Chargers team playing its third straight game on the road, AND (as you pointed out Pack) having confidence is something that will give our young team the opportunity to step up to the challenge.

It'll be real interesting to see how long they can go toe-to-toe with a powerhouse like the Chargers.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The house is gonna be a-rockin on Sunday! I am gonna be the first to guarantee that the Pack will beat the Bolts in their 2nd straight road game. Write it down. I can just feel a win coming....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
The house is gonna be a-rockin on Sunday! I am gonna be the first to guarantee that the Pack will beat the Bolts in their 2nd straight road game. Write it down. I can just feel a win coming....

Ok. Hold on. Let me grab a piece of paper. Nobody go anywhere.

Ok, I'm back. Here's a pencil. "Pack in Black guarantees that the Packers will beat the Bolts."

Done.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

I think they have a great chance, wouldn't GUARANTEE it, but they are beatable by this team. Boy I wish we could run the ball up the middle... then I would be in the bandwagon with you. The CHargers can be gashed right now up front.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could run the ball , I would be more confident in a win against San Diego.
I think our running game took a step forward against the Giants and maybe that will continue on Sunday.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned last week that we could not be catching the Bolts at a better time having back to back road games and coming off a huge rivalry game. It would have been sweeter if they had won because this sets up for the classic letdown game.

I know they played a very good team in NE last night but they also showed me they are vulnerable in the intermediate and deep pass areas. If there corners stay that far off of DD and GJ next week they stand to make a bunch of YAC.

I like that our offense is set up in a way that Favre can react to what he sees at the line of scrimmage. I see him completing passes to no less than about ten receivers next week.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pass Protection looked fantastic too. Favre had all day to throw on Sunday against a pretty good front four.

Reaction score
Pass Protection looked fantastic too. Favre had all day to throw on Sunday against a pretty good front four.

Yup, but I'm really worried about the run blocking not improving to a satisfactory level.

I hope that the problems in the run game aren't because our coaches have insufficient experience in the ZB scheme. I'm starting to think that is where the problem with our running game starts and ends.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the important thing to remember is that we've won the last two games IN SPITE of our offensive line and the running game struggling. That's almost unheard of in the NFL.

Win the turnover battle, limit your big mistakes, play a high percentage/low risk passing game, get good special teams play. Do these things and you don't always have to be the most talented & experienced team on the field.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest difference in the pack now and recently

I would say the biggest difference is that we have a great defense now that can hang in there in the game if the offense starts slow or doesnt show at all, that by the time brett wakes up or whoever else is slacking, we arent down 35-0 already. It makes it a lot easier to take over a game when its like 10-10 or 10-7 as opposed to recent years when it would be 21-3 or something and brett would try to mount a comeback.

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest difference in the pack now and recently

Obviously it's our defense. And, the releasing of Marquand Manuel. I can remember cringing every time I saw the opposition go back for a pass, I just knew the receiver would be wide open. Manuel turned into a huge FA bust and thank god management noticed how horrible the guy was in coverage. I really was disappointed that the Packers couldn't at least get another weapon for Favre that is very needed right now but whatever..Our D is becoming more established as time goes by; and the big thing is most of them are very young. Which is very encouraging. All I hope is next off season we pick up a major weapon to even out the offense a little more and make us a definite top contender.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Comming of age on the field and the sidelines... things are only going to continue to improve. MM and staff have this ship going in the right direction, just keep it rolling now..

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/247379

GREEN BAY -- If you want to know just what is happening to the Green Bay Packers, if you want to understand just where this magificent start is coming from and why this is rapidly turning into such a special season, ask Aaron Rodgers, Jon Ryan and Rob Davis.
The backup quarterback (Rodgers), the punter (Ryan) and the long-snapper (Davis) spend most of their Sundays like the rest of us -- watching. And so, on this particular Sunday, it gave them a unique perspective on what transpired at Lambeau Field during the Packers' 31-24 victory over the San Diego Chargers.

``Today, I really stepped back and kind of watched the guys on the sidelines at times, and I was kind of smiling to myself the whole game, just thinking, `We've got a pretty good team -- and we don't even really know it.' Which is pretty dangerous,'' said Rodgers, who also watched Brett Favre toss three touchdown passes for the second straight week, giving him 420 for his career and tying him with Dan Marino for the NFL's all-time record.

``It's amazing watching the confidence level each week rise a little bit. Not only with the players, but the coaches. I'm hearing everything the coaches are saying (in the headsets), and it's just a different attitude. Last year, it was like we were just waiting for something bad to happen. This year, we expect to win every game.

``We're a bunch of underdogs, guys who've been cut, guys nobody knows about and nobody thinks are any good, and we've just found a way to come together.''

As a result, the Packers (3-0) are not only off to their best start since 2001 and alone in first place in the NFC North, but they have beaten three straight teams that made the playoffs last year -- the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants and Chargers (1-2).

``I like the confidence of our football team. I think it's real. I think it's growing week to week,'' said McCarthy, whose team has now won seven straight games dating back to last season's 4-0 finish. ``But I cannot state it enough that we still have a lot of work to do.''

That may be, but there's no denying how impressive Sunday's victory over the surprisingly struggling Chargers -- ``I haven't lost any confidence,'' said reigning NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, ``I'm just a little frustrated and baffled at the team right now'' -- was.

San Diego led twice on Sunday: 7-0 in the first quarter, which was vaporized by a 17-point explosion by Favre and the Green Bay offense, and 21-17, after Philip Rivers led back-to-back 80-yard touchdown drives on each side of halftime.

It took the Packers awhile to overcome the second deficit, but by failing to score after having first-and-goal from the 1-yard line with 5:48 left in the game -- following a fourth-and-inches incompletion out of an empty backfield set -- they simply set the stage for a thrilling, we'll-show-you-what-we're-made-of finish.

``I think everyone in the building was concerned that, `Man, we just blew our chance,''' Favre admitted. ``I think that's human nature.''

Just not the Packers' nature. Although the defense allowed the Chargers to get out of the shadow of their own goal post with an 18-yard catch by tight end Antonio Gates (11 receptions, 113 yards), it forced a punt on the next third down.

Two plays later, Favre (28-for-45, 369 yards, no interceptions, 110.3 rating) threw a simple 8-yard back-side slant pass to Greg Jennings, who beat cornerback Antonio Cromartie off the line and raced to a 57-yard touchdown, giving the Packers a 24-21 lead and Favre No. 420.

Linebacker Nick Barnett administered the knockout punch four plays later, intercepting a Rivers pass intended for Tomlinson and returning it 38 yards to the San Diego 2, setting up Brandon Jackson's 1-yard TD plunge.

``I was just kind of standing there watching in awe, because it was so impressive to see not only how well the offense and defense are playing but the heart we showed out there,'' said Ryan, who punted just three times. ``The big thing is that no-quit attitude. When we almost scored there and got stopped on the 1 (on fourth down) and turned the ball over down by four, I think a lot of teams would have rolled over, especially playing a great team like San Diego, and said, `That's the game.' But we came back and scored two more times.''

Added right tackle Mark Tauscher, part of an offensive line that stymied the Chargers' vaunted pass rush: ``We're resillient. It's not always pretty and sometimes things don't go as we hope, but we play pretty well.''

Now, the challenge is sustaining it.

``I don't think they're giving out trophies for 3-0, so we just want to keep on the path we're on and keep trying to build off the success we're having and stay the course,'' Davis said. ``(But) if that's the measuring stick for Super Bowl contenders, I think we're a little bit closer than we thought we were.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts