Starr, Favre listed among top 10 QBs of all time

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Jan. 28, 2008
SportsDay

The combative crew at coldhardfootballfacts.com begin and end their just published list of the 10 best National Football League quarterbacks of all time with Green Bay Packers.

"Keep in mind that all other lists are wrong," modestly claims Kerry J. Byrne onthe Web site. "Only this list is correct."

Yes, sir.

To arrive at its order, coldhard measured quarterbacks in statistical production, intangibles, impact on a team and championships.

By this calculation the top 10 quarterbacks of all time are: 1, Bart Starr; 2, Joe Montana; 3, Sammy Baugh; 4, Otto Graham; 5, Tom Brady; 6, JohnnyUnitas; 7, Roger Staubach; 8, Steve Young; 9, Peyton Manning; and 10, Brett Favre.

"He might not have even made the list if we published this back in August," Byrne says about Favre. "But he responded with perhaps the greatest statistical season of his career here in 2007."

Starr draws gaudy praise.

"When it comes to a combination of leadership, victories, big-game performances and statistical supremacy nobody - nobody - put together a more total package than Bart Starr, the greatest quarterback in NFL history," Byrne says.

One attraction of this list is its attempt to consider players from an era other than contemporary or modern ones. Some fans think all of pro football's history began with the Super Bowl.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
IMO I think that Favre should have come in before Manning.

How the hell is Peyton Manning in front of Favre at this point in his career?? Given the talent and protection that Peyton Manning have always had, that's just dumb.

Besides the Starr thing, I disregard this article.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Jan. 28, 2008
SportsDay

The combative crew at coldhardfootballfacts.com begin and end their just published list of the 10 best National Football League quarterbacks of all time with Green Bay Packers.

"Keep in mind that all other lists are wrong," modestly claims Kerry J. Byrne onthe Web site. "Only this list is correct."

Yes, sir.

To arrive at its order, coldhard measured quarterbacks in statistical production, intangibles, impact on a team and championships.

By this calculation the top 10 quarterbacks of all time are: 1, Bart Starr; 2, Joe Montana; 3, Sammy Baugh; 4, Otto Graham; 5, Tom Brady; 6, JohnnyUnitas; 7, Roger Staubach; 8, Steve Young; 9, Peyton Manning; and 10, Brett Favre.

"He might not have even made the list if we published this back in August," Byrne says about Favre. "But he responded with perhaps the greatest statistical season of his career here in 2007."

Starr draws gaudy praise.

"When it comes to a combination of leadership, victories, big-game performances and statistical supremacy nobody - nobody - put together a more total package than Bart Starr, the greatest quarterback in NFL history," Byrne says.

One attraction of this list is its attempt to consider players from an era other than contemporary or modern ones. Some fans think all of pro football's history began with the Super Bowl.

They got Peyton Manning and Brett Favre in reverse order.

Man, I wish I was older. Only remember Starr from highlights.

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The better question is how the hell is Brady 5th all time? Yeah he's played on a great team. But he has never been a top flight quarter back till this year and a little bit last year.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHAT??!?

No Arnie Herber? Ken O'Brien? Bobby LeBaron? Jack Concannon? Jerry Tagge?

Oh my, I could go on and on but this list is missing some good ones.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is a farse, where is dan marino? and why isnt the current record holder for basically all the stats closer to the top(brett favre)? How the hell is tom brady anywhere in there?!?!?! ya he may be an ok qb, but damn his players around him make him good, not his ability.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton shouldn't even be on this list. Marino, Namath, Bradshaw, Elway, Greise (Bob), Aikman... every single one of these guys should be ahead of Manning at least, if not Brady as well.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think there should be some added to the list, but its nice to see Favre and Starr on it.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This list is ridiculous. First off, Bart Starr would be at the tail end of the top 10 if he graced it at all. I don't mean to assert a myopic view, but most of the all-time greatest QBs have played in the last 25 years.

Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Favre... all in the top 10... all in the last 25 years.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a topic that I personally enjoy very much! Obviously the people doing this poll weight winning titles more than anything else.

To me you have categories of quarterbacks: You have the guys with the hardware like Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Tom Brady. These guys were game managers and with the exception of Bradshaw were cerebral quarterbacks.

Then you have Marino, Favre, Elway, and Peyton Manning. Guys with arms blessed by the Gods. What Elway and Favre did with undermanned teams is truly amazing. I always give Elway and Favre more credit becasue the played in worse elements.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I look at who I think the best QB is, the first question I ask myself is, "Who would I want to build a team around?". Out of the QB's that I have seen play, I would choose Elway.

First he had a great arm, then add in his running ability. My hands down winner.

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My top ten

1. Joe Montana
2. Brett Favre
3. John Elway
4. Johnny Unitas
5. Tom Brady
6. Sammy Baugh
7. Otto Graham
8. Roger Staubach
9. Dan Marino
10. Terry Bradshaw

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, what on earth is Tom Brady doing on the list? Ok, he had a nice season this year, but look at the crew around him. A trained monkey (monkeys, no pun intented) could do decent with that O-line, RB's, and ofc wr's.

I fully agree with the top 5 for the last 25 years or so: Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Favre. Comparing QB's that played before that just dosent ring right. It's been too long, most of us only know them from highlights, it was a different ball game.

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get either why Peyton and Brady are a head of Favre, Favre has accomplished much more then any of these two QB's. There are also names missing that should be on it.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of making this list he could have said something like:

"Ah, the good old days! Back then, everything was better........ and made out of wood!"

He rates Bart Starr as #1 and Brett Favre as #10 due to "statistical production, intangibles, impact on a team and championships"

Facing Favres stats and impact on his team, he either needs to rate
championchips very high, or boosts the "intangibles" with ........ see above!! :)

Try the logical aproach:
Last time I checked, Peyton Manning had the same number of SBs,
but less yards, TDs and completions than Brett.
Impact on team? Comparable!
Means the "intagibles" are tv-commercials, or what :?:

Otto Graham had seven titles, Starr had "only" five. No offense to Bart Starr :!: , but he does not lead much in the stat-department, although Graham played 20 years earlier.

These listings make me scratch my head everytime.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, no Dan Marino. He may not have won any super bowls but that was because his teams were CRAPPY!!!

Marino may have been the best pure passer that ever lived.

Of course, he'll be forgotten because the Dolphins never had a D with Marino.

The thing that sucks is he's better than several QBs listed there, but he doesn't have the SB win. I guess some people don't realize football is a TEAM sport. One man can't do everything.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I look at who I think the best QB is, the first question I ask myself is, "Who would I want to build a team around?". Out of the QB's that I have seen play, I would choose Elway.

First he had a great arm, then add in his running ability. My hands down winner.

I would have him #2 behind Favre and I don't really even like the guy that much. He is a winner and had amazing skill and competitive drive.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of making this list he could have said something like:

"Ah, the good old days! Back then, everything was better........ and made out of wood!"

He rates Bart Starr as #1 and Brett Favre as #10 due to "statistical production, intangibles, impact on a team and championships"

Facing Favres stats and impact on his team, he either needs to rate
championchips very high, or boosts the "intangibles" with ........ see above!! :)

Try the logical aproach:
Last time I checked, Peyton Manning had the same number of SBs,
but less yards, TDs and completions than Brett.
Impact on team? Comparable!
Means the "intagibles" are tv-commercials, or what :?:

Otto Graham had seven titles, Starr had "only" five. No offense to Bart Starr :!: , but he does not lead much in the stat-department, although Graham played 20 years earlier.

These listings make me scratch my head everytime.

In defense of Starr, the reason he didn't have crazy stats is because back then Ds can hit the WR all the way down the field. Sometime I think in the early 70s, they changed the rule to only up to 5 yards, then I think they changed it again to once up to 5 yards.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J_J_kewl_aids said:
favre>all. never going to change my mind.

I like your line of thinking.

I'm 37 years old. Of the QBs I've seen, Favre is #1, even without my bias. I'll argue with stats, since the rules have basically been the same since Favre came into the NFL.

Marino, Steve Young, and Joe Montana, I couldn't really say who is #2. Tough call. Young was mobile. Montana was amazing, and Marino was the best pure passer of all that I've seen.

Members online

Latest posts