Starks and Cooks Practicing Wednesday

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cook yes, Starks bleh. All he does is try to run as fast as he can to the outside. Montgomery can do that, and catch the ball out of the backfield. Starks has become useless.

I'm hope to see a more motivated Starks, a guy who is playing like his NFL career depended on it. If the rest of his season goes the way the first part did, this may be his last opportunity.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook yes, Starks bleh. All he does is try to run as fast as he can to the outside. Montgomery can do that, and catch the ball out of the backfield. Starks has become useless.
lol I like starks but he has been playing like crap this year. Jackson have shown signs of speed and niftiness. You ******* the boy starks lol. Cooks I really want to see what he can do.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I like starks but he has been playing like crap this year. Jackson have shown signs of speed and niftiness. You ******* the boy starks lol. Cooks I really want to see what he can do.

lol I just call it how I see it. I can't remember that last time actually he hit the hole!! Then he gets up and slaps the ball like he was about to do something haha. Time for him to go too!

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would honestly rather just go with Montgomery as our primary back for the remainder of the season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I just call it how I see it. I can't remember that last time actually he hit the hole!! Then he gets up and slaps the ball like he was about to do something haha. Time for him to go too!
You may be right, but I'd like to see him get enough touches that we can see if he has anything left.

Reaction score
I'm pleased to see they are both closer to returning, these are 2 of our 3 weakest position groups.
Either way, it'll most likely be 2-3 weeks before we see any significant production from either guy.
I'd like to see Starks get Rip as his blocker and also utilized Starks in some some short passes beyond the LOS

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt Starks has played terribly at the start of this season while getting a small amount of touches. He's only a year removed from setting career highs in rushing yards and all receiving categories though therefore I'm optimistic he will be able to provide a spark for the running game once healthy.

I would honestly rather just go with Montgomery as our primary back for the remainder of the season.

The Packers should continue to use Montgomery out of the backfield but there's no reason for him to be the primary back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Starks being available it not good news. Already articles are out that say McCarthy is planning on using him as the primary running back. McCarhthy actually tried something innovative with Lacy and Starks out, something that look good, but now that he can go back to the offense that hasn't done anything in over a year, appears we're gonna go back to that.

Now, that little rant above is based completely on the idea that McCarthy is going to let Starks run the ball 15-20 times a game. Hopefully McCarthy has learned something and realizes that Starks needs to split RB duties with Ty/Davonte and continue to be unpredictable on offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Starks being available it not good news. Already articles are out that say McCarthy is planning on using him as the primary running back. McCarhthy actually tried something innovative with Lacy and Starks out, something that look good, but now that he can go back to the offense that hasn't done anything in over a year, appears we're gonna go back to that.

Now, that little rant above is based completely on the idea that McCarthy is going to let Starks run the ball 15-20 times a game. Hopefully McCarthy has learned something and realizes that Starks needs to split RB duties with Ty/Davonte and continue to be unpredictable on offense.

While I tend to agree with your assessment, it's nothing but a prediction, based mainly on Starks lack of production so far this year on 24 carries. With his 1.8 yard/carry ave. in 2016 I can see why you are concerned. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will be better than that, but may still not be at his career ave. of 4.2/carry. I also think at this point, having him playing is better news then you feel it is. While he isn't going to tear it up, he provides the Packers with a veteran option at RB to not just run and block, but to catch the ball. Monty is a nice tool, but I really don't think he and Jackson alone are enough to carry our sputtering offense. As long as James stays away from fumbling the ball, which he is prone to do (11 in 691 touches) and improves from where he began the season, his being able to play again could help the offense and IMO a better option then Jackson.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fritothedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I also saw something where MM views Montgomery as a 3-down back and that he was on a snap count last week. I am thinking (or hoping perhaps) that TyMo is the lead back with Starks spelling him. I also think Starks plays better upon his return than he did earlier this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree that McCarthy should go back to the offense he used the 2 1/2 weeks previous to the Colts game there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Starks is a significant upgrade over Jackson at the running back position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that McCarthy should go back to the offense he used the 2 1/2 weeks previous to the Colts game there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Starks is a significant upgrade over Jackson at the running back position.

Yeah, I never said Starks was not better than Jackson. However, that's like saying Matt Flynn was an upgrade over Seneca Wallace. Technically correct but completely missing the point.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would have been an upgrade in the past but I'm not buying it today.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I never said Starks was not better than Jackson. However, that's like saying Matt Flynn was an upgrade over Seneca Wallace. Technically correct but completely missing the point.

Starks is less than a year removed from being a decent running back. If he's capable of returning to that level of play it would be a huge upgrade over Jackson and a spark for the offense.

He would have been an upgrade in the past but I'm not buying it today.

There's no doubt Starks struggled early this season but the sample size was pretty small though. I'm optimistic he will put up better numbers once he returns to the lineup.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that a player that was abominable regardless of sample size will be better returning from a knee injury in the same season at his age.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a hard time believing that a player that was abominable regardless of sample size will be better returning from a knee injury in the same season at his age.

While Starks is already 30 years old he doesn't have a ton of rushing attempts over his career. Hopefully that results in him having some good performances left in him.

H

HardRightEdge

There's no doubt Starks has played terribly at the start of this season while getting a small amount of touches. He's only a year removed from setting career highs in rushing yards and all receiving categories though therefore I'm optimistic he will be able to provide a spark for the running game once healthy.
Your optimism regarding Starks is surprising given your objections to his fairly modest contract.

I share your optimism for a single reason:

We've seen so many players, more than I care to mention, try to play injured and then need to be sidelined for one of two reasons: 1) the injury results in under-performance to such a degree that it does not pay to let them play even if they want to or 2) the injury gets worse.

The consensus opinion in these pages is that Starks is done, Starks went in the tank, Starks is bum. While all of these possibilities many in fact be the case, there is another that seems to have been overlooked:

Maybe, just maybe, he tried to play on that torn meniscus, but it wasn't working.

So, I would suspend judgment until we see him again on the field again. Of course, Starks has been "Mr. Knee Sprain" over the course of his career, and not to put too fine a point on it, a partial meniscus tear is often characterized as "knee sprain" until the player goes under the arthroscope. His time is running short, but a decent 1/2 season on a less than full load snap count would be a big add.

I don't know how much mileage he has left on these chronically injured knees in the same way I wonder how long it will be before Matthews hamstrings take him to the end of the line. But that's a matter for the offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Matt Flynn went 2-2-1 and held down the fort. He was a big upgrade from Seneca Wallace, or Scott Tolzien for that matter. I'm surprised anybody would want to use that as a comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Well, if was playing on the torn meniscus before and now it's been improved through surgery, why not? That said, how long he'll hold up is anybody's guess.

D

Deleted member 6794

Your optimism regarding Starks is surprising given your objections to his fairly modest contract.

I don't consider paying a backup running back $3 million a season a modest contract. That doesn't mean Starks isn't a significant upgrade over an undrafted rookie like Don Jackson.

Members online

Latest posts