Spriggs looks like?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who watches the sacks given up by spriggs the last couple preseason games, could conclude that spriggs is a bust... but looking closer, you would see that he simply gets set up, and BURNT on inside moves... hook line and sinker, he barely gets a hand on the guy sometimes..., he looks pathetic.

But I noticed he handled on Miller when Miller went outside like he was supposed to... now I have missed most the 3 games so far. So feel free to expand, or disprove my assumption... but I believe spriggs has the makings of a great otackle. Once he tunes up his game...

I remember bahk used to be running backwards on a good bill rush. Usually right in to Rodgers face. He added a few pounds since then, but mostly I'd say he learned how to get more leverage, to stop or slow those bulrushes down. Now he is an allpro left tackle, or close to it...
For the first time, I am optimistic about spriggs becoming a good OT. Just going to take a few more whoopings before he learns how to avoid getting whooped...

Spriggs looks...like Mandrich 2.0

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe from the production side, but remember that Tony really, really looked the part AND was highly touted by many outside the Packers organization.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tony definitely looked the part.....and then played the part. well the bust part.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IF Spriggs busts and I am not saying he will, it will be a disappointment no doubt, but nowhere near the Mandarich disappointment. I remember that year well, watching in horror as the Packers beat the Cardinals in the last game of the season to "lose out" on the draft position over the Cowboys to take Troy Aikman at #1 and end up with this clown at #2. That was the only Packer game that I can remember, when I actually was cheering for the Packers to lose.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He went on to have a respectable career after here too. I think with the colts. Not #2 in the draft type career, but decent enough. He completely busted for us

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully it's more lack of PRO experience and butterflies than talent. He does look lost out there more than anything. Seems like he is just going through the motions of a drill out there. LOL I could be wrong...hopefully I'm not for the sake of this season, and this guy gets his poop together!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He went on to have a respectable career after here too. I think with the colts. Not #2 in the draft type career, but decent enough. He completely busted for us
Once he got off the juice, painkillers and alcohol, he put in 3 productive season with the Colts, but yeah....still a bust for a #2 pick as well as a #1 bust in Packer draft history.

Sky King

Reaction score
IF Spriggs busts and I am not saying he will, it will be a disappointment no doubt, but nowhere near the Mandarich disappointment. I remember that year well, watching in horror as the Packers beat the Cardinals in the last game of the season to "lose out" on the draft position over the Cowboys to take Troy Aikman at #1 and end up with this clown at #2. That was the only Packer game that I can remember, when I actually was cheering for the Packers to lose.
Go wash your keyboard and your mouth out with soap. :speechless:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider a team drafting a kicker in the second round to be a good example of how to build a team in the first place.

Spriggs looking terrible on 20% of the snaps might get Rodgers killed in a regular season game though. He´s definitely not ready of playing any meaningful snaps as of now.

Bakhtiari played at an admirable level starting every single game at left tackle during his rookie season. Spriggs currently isn't anywhere close to that level.

I agree that it's definitely too early to give up on Spriggs but while he's extremely talented athletically he hasn't been able to transform that onto the field when pass protecting by any means.
Hey, just imagine Captain WIMM wanted the Packers to let Bak go because we drafted Spriggs, and he was worried about the salary cap. :p

D

Deleted member 6794

Hey, just imagine Captain WIMM wanted the Packers to let Bak go because we drafted Spriggs, and he was worried about the salary cap. :p

That's not true by any means. I didn't want the Packers to let Bakhtiari walk in free agency but tried to make sense of Thompson trading up to select Spriggs during last year's draft. The front office at least exploring the possibility of him taking over as the starting left tackle was the only explanation I could come up with.

Reaction score
That's not true by any means. I didn't want the Packers to let Bakhtiari walk in free agency but tried to make sense of Thompson trading up to select Spriggs during last year's draft. The front office at least exploring the possibility of him taking over as the starting left tackle was the only explanation I could come up with.
I think it was likely simply one of those situations of a board that didn't thrill them combined with the obvious value of a starting caliber tackle on your depth chart and a lot of extra picks. It hasn't worked out, probably won't work out, and looks bad. It's a pick they probably shouldn't have done, but I understand why the did.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it was likely simply one of those situations of a board that didn't thrill them combined with the obvious value of a starting caliber tackle on your depth chart and a lot of extra picks. It hasn't worked out, probably won't work out, and looks bad. It's a pick they probably shouldn't have done, but I understand why the did.

You have to realize that at the time of the 2016 draft Bakhtiari was set to become a free agent after the season. Therefore I believe it's a distinct possibility the front office considered Spriggs as a possible replacement at left tackle.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's is what you said:

"It should be pretty obvious that with a hard salary cap in place teams shouldn't spend $9 million a year on a starter that could be adequately replaced by a guy still on his rookie contract. There's no doubt the front office has to do a better job of adding quality depth at the position than they did last year but drafting Spriggs and Murphy was a step in the right direction."

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's is what you said:

"It should be pretty obvious that with a hard salary cap in place teams shouldn't spend $9 million a year on a starter that could be adequately replaced by a guy still on his rookie contract. There's no doubt the front office has to do a better job of adding quality depth at the position than they did last year but drafting Spriggs and Murphy was a step in the right direction."

The post you quoted doesn't contain a single word about me advocating for the Packers to let Bakhtiari walk away in free agency.

Sky King

Reaction score
Off the top of my head here is a list of recent Packer players whose careers got off to a slow start - needing at least two years or more to develop into quality NFL starters:

Nick Collins
Marco Rivera
Mike Wahl
Aaron Kampman
Evan Deitrich-Smith
T.J. Lang
Nick Perry
KGB
Jordy Nelson
Donald Driver
Aaron Rodgers

I'm sure there are others. It's a good thing that nobody rushed to judgment on the players above and the many that I've missed mentioning.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Off the top of my head here is a list of recent Packer players whose careers got off to a slow start - needing at least two years or more to develop into quality NFL starters:

Nick Collins
Marco Rivera
Mike Wahl
Aaron Kampman
Evan Deitrich-Smith
T.J. Lang
Nick Perry
KGB
Jordy Nelson
Donald Driver
Aaron Rodgers

I'm sure there are others. It's a good thing that nobody rushed to judgment on the players above and the many that I've missed mentioning.

Don't make me list all the ones that DIDN'T make it ;)

I get what you are saying, but again, there is a difference between hanging on to a few of the developmental guys and succeeding or failing by doing so and keeping too many in a given year and getting bit in the **** come playoff time, because you have to rely on them. I love when a draft pick develops into a gem, but I also hate when a position gets so thin, we are combing the unemployment line because none of the rookies we kept on the 53 are ready or activating a guy that started the year as an UDFA WR and is now expected to play CB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nick Collins
Marco Rivera
Mike Wahl
Aaron Kampman
Evan Deitrich-Smith
T.J. Lang
Nick Perry
KGB
Jordy Nelson
Donald Driver
Aaron Rodgers

Here's a list of players that didn't develop into decent contributors after getting off to a slow start. It only contains names of prospects selected after the new CBA was introduced in 2011:

Alex Green
D.J. Williams
Caleb Schlauderaff
D.J. Smith
Ricky Elmore
Ryan Taylor
Jerel Worthy
Jerron McMillian
Terrell Manning
Andrew Datko
B.J. Coleman
Datone Jones
Josh Boyd
Nate Palmer
Kevin Dorsey
Sam Barrington
Khyri Thornton
Carl Bradford
Jarred Abbrederis
Kennard Backman

I excluded Derek Sherrod and Johnathan Franklin from the list as injuries shortened their careers. In addition while it's too early to make a final evaluation both Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins are headed in the direction of not developing as hoped as well.

Furthermore Lawrence Guy and Charles Johnson didn't perform at a decent level until being picked up by another team.

As a side note I didn't include Demetri Goodson and Jeff Janis in the list solely based on their performance on special teams.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
about 1200 players get released every year before the season starts. That's a lot of players that don't make it every year. Granted some were on a roster before and now won't be. But it's a tough business. Draft and develop is no different than signing Jeff Saturday and hope he can fill in for a season. It doesn't matter which route you go, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Invest a lot of money in your own guy like Shields and he gets a career ender. Sign a Saturday and his tank is empty. Get a great prospect like Spriggs and you have to wait and see if he gets it. I think Jahri Evans was a great signing. It's a long season, but last game, he looked pretty good to me. Or pass on a guy like Spriggs and hope to sign a veteran after cuts, but a decent one never becomes available? there's no sure fire system. and back up tackles with any sort of tread left are very hard to come by. Our own crap we jettisoned long ago are still playing tackle for other teams and they aren't even cutting them for us to try and pick up again.

Sky King

Reaction score
Don't make me list all the ones that DIDN'T make it ;)

I get what you are saying, but again, there is a difference between hanging on to a few of the developmental guys and succeeding or failing by doing so and keeping too many in a given year and getting bit in the **** come playoff time, because you have to rely on them. I love when a draft pick develops into a gem, but I also hate when a position gets so thin, we are combing the unemployment line because none of the rookies we kept on the 53 are ready or activating a guy that started the year as an UDFA WR and is now expected to play CB.

Here's a list of players that didn't develop into decent contributors after getting off to a slow start. It only contains names of prospects selected after the new CBA was introduced in 2011:

Alex Green
D.J. Williams
Caleb Schlauderaff
D.J. Smith
Ricky Elmore
Ryan Taylor
Jerel Worthy
Jerron McMillian
Terrell Manning
Andrew Datko
B.J. Coleman
Datone Jones
Josh Boyd
Nate Palmer
Kevin Dorsey
Sam Barrington
Khyri Thornton
Carl Bradford
Jarred Abbrederis
Kennard Backman

I excluded Derek Sherrod and Johnathan Franklin from the list as injuries shortened their careers. In addition while it's too early to make a final evaluation both Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins are headed in the direction of not developing as hoped as well.

Furthermore Lawrence Guy and Charles Johnson didn't perform at a decent level until being picked up by another team.

As a side note I didn't include Demetri Goodson and Jeff Janis in the list solely based on their performance on special teams.

True. The door swings both ways. It's likely a matter of the coaching staff and FO being more patient with players who are gifted physically, especially if they have flashed some potential here and there. In the case of our two most recent villians - Spriggs and Fackrell - it seems premature to cut them at before they've even begun what are only their second regular seasons. There's good reason to give them time: The initial investment and the chance that they may develop over time. Arod looked less-than Hundley, Flynn or Hasselbeck during his first two preseasons, and I thought back then that he was probably a wasted pick. Lesson learned.

It reminds me left-handedly of attending my 10th H.S. class reunion many, many years back. I kept wondering who the "fox" was sitting at an adjacent table. So did a few of my old buddies sitting with me. None of us recognized her right away. She turned out to be the pleasant but ordinary wallflower that none of the guys paid much attention to back in the day. That wallflower sure did blossom nicely. :geek: It just took a little longer for her to mature when compared to many classmates, but she definitely had a higher ceiling than most of them. Pygmalion. Lesson learned.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It reminds me left-handedly of attending my 10th H.S. class reunion many, many years back. I kept wondering who the "fox" was sitting at an adjacent table. So did a few of my old buddies sitting with me. None of us recognized her right away. She turned out to be the pleasant but ordinary wallflower that none of the guys paid much attention to back in the day. That wallflower sure did blossom nicely. :geek: It just took a little longer for her to mature when compared to many classmates, but she definitely had a higher ceiling than most of them. Pygmalion. Lesson learned.

Whewwwww.......the way that story started I thought it was going to end with "Turns out it was one of my best friends in H.S. and his name used to be Bob". :whistling:

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Sky King

Reaction score
Whewwwww.......the way that story started I thought it was going to end with "Turns out it was one of my best friends in H.S. and his name used to be Bob". :whistling:

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

No, no! This is Bob. All he could afford was an old Carmen Miranda costume, not any kind of surgery.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems a lot of Packers fans forget about it when expecting players still on their rookie contracts to develop into contributors though.
Expect or optimistically hope? I think most fans understand the risks and reality of player development.

There are posters here who think it's a foregone conclusion that Spriggs is a bust and should be cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

Expect or optimistically hope? I think most fans understand the risks and reality of player development.

It seems a lot of fans around here consider it to be all but guaranteed.

There are posters here who think it's a foregone conclusion that Spriggs is a bust and should be cut.

Just to clarify it once again, I'm not being one of them.

Members online

Latest posts