Spriggs looks like?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who watches the sacks given up by spriggs the last couple preseason games, could conclude that spriggs is a bust... but looking closer, you would see that he simply gets set up, and BURNT on inside moves... hook line and sinker, he barely gets a hand on the guy sometimes..., he looks pathetic.

But I noticed he handled on Miller when Miller went outside like he was supposed to... now I have missed most the 3 games so far. So feel free to expand, or disprove my assumption... but I believe spriggs has the makings of a great otackle. Once he tunes up his game...

I remember bahk used to be running backwards on a good bill rush. Usually right in to Rodgers face. He added a few pounds since then, but mostly I'd say he learned how to get more leverage, to stop or slow those bulrushes down. Now he is an allpro left tackle, or close to it...
For the first time, I am optimistic about spriggs becoming a good OT. Just going to take a few more whoopings before he learns how to avoid getting whooped...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First game i did not like him at all hardly. 2nd game I didn't really get to see, last night he looked adequate at times and like you said, terrible on those inside rushes. 3 in particular I remember. he and the coaches know what he needs to work on. I'm hoping we never need to see it again after next Thursday, but if we do, it's cleaned up :)

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you keep him because he's a draft pick, there are guys who are better but keep him because he's a draft pick makes no sense to me ,Tampa cut a second rd pick a kicker teams get better because they put the best on the field regardless of draft status

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with Spriggs is his lateral mobility handling the quicker pass rushers which he would see nearly every week. Perhaps he can still fix that doing agility drills. If not he could put on more muscle and move to guard. Right now he would stop 3 drives per game with sacks and holding penalties taking 7-10 points off the scoreboard. That translates into a loss on most Sundays. If Spriggs were a seventh round draft pick would he make the team? Probably not.

Reaction score
Problem with Spriggs is his lateral mobility handling the quicker pass rushers which he would see nearly every week. Perhaps he can still fix that doing agility drills. If not he could put on more muscle and move to guard. Right now he would stop 3 drives per game with sacks and holding penalties taking 7-10 points off the scoreboard. That translates into a loss on most Sundays. If Spriggs were a seventh round draft pick would he make the team? Probably not.
ding ding ding. Every game he plays at this point seems to move us all closer to my first unpopular opinion. Just depends upon when the team gets there too.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now he would stop 3 drives per game with sacks and holding penalties taking 7-10 points off the scoreboard.
NOT equating the 2 players in any way, but La'el Collins (Cowboys RT) had 3 drive-killing penalties in yesterday's game. Spriggs appears to be doing things right about 80% of the time... just that those 20% are glaringly bad technique issues. Coaching and experience will go a long way in correcting these inside move failures, IMHO.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is exactly what Spriggs was as a prospect. He's extremely athletic and can dance with anyone on the edge. But he doesn't have the power/technique to bar the inside move. Lance Zierlein, who for my money is the best OL analyst in the media, called him a project coming out. That's what he is. It remains to be seen whether he will ever develop as he needs to in order deal with inside moves. It's not a great sign that it remains this big of a problem one year in. But it also isn't conclusive.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you keep him because he's a draft pick, there are guys who are better but keep him because he's a draft pick makes no sense to me ,Tampa cut a second rd pick a kicker teams get better because they put the best on the field regardless of draft status
Why was he a 2nd round pick? Because he has great size and athletic ability. He can develop into a great player. Whereas a player who is better right now, may be maxed out as a marginal player.

Spriggs is not where he should be at this point, but is foolish to give up on him at this point.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He started at guard last year once and he tried so hard it made me tired watching him talent isn't there move on, barclay is better and he isn't good at all

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It takes time for most OL to develop. TJ Lang sucked for his first 2-3 years. Bakh was just adequate as a rookie. You think we should run a franchise by doing things the Tampa way, because they've been so successful? Glad you aren't running things. I like going to the playoffs every year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If Spriggs were a seventh round draft pick would he make the team? Probably not.
Agree, a 7th round pick would most likely get cut then resigned to the PS for a season or two. 2nd round picks usually don't clear waivers to get to the practice squad. They need to learn as part of the 53.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Most likely. There is a league wide OT shortage. It's hard to find good play at the position. Spriggs has the profile to excel there if he can respond to coaching/training. Those guys generally stick to rosters until it's clear that they aren't developing. What tackle isn't making the roster over Spriggs that should be? Who is being cut just because of his draft pedigree?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's looked terrible but you guys can't give up on these players so easily....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He started at guard last year once and he tried so hard it made me tired watching him talent isn't there move on, barclay is better and he isn't good at all
Spriggs is one of the most talented OTs in the last few years. He just has to put some weight and lower body strength.

Look at this:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jason-spriggs

The raw talent is there. Why anyone would give up on him so early is beyond me.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would just like to know who the tackle is that's playing better but will be cut instead of Spriggs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just like to know who the tackle is that's playing better but will be cut instead of Spriggs.

As others have pointed out above, for young players it's not just about how they are playing at the time, but what their potential is.

Spriggs has more upside than any of the other backup tackles.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs is one of the most talented It's in the last few years. He just has to put some weight and lower body strength.

Look at this:

Because the instant a player, game, play or anything to do with the Packers doesn't go perfectly, someone needs to be cut or fired...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As others have pointed out above, for young players it's not just about how they are playing at the time, but what their potential is.

Spriggs has more upside than any of the other backup tackles.

Agreed. And there ain't nobody better than him and Murphy that's gonna be cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't consider a team drafting a kicker in the second round to be a good example of how to build a team in the first place.

Spriggs appears to be doing things right about 80% of the time... just that those 20% are glaringly bad technique issues. Coaching and experience will go a long way in correcting these inside move failures, IMHO.

Spriggs looking terrible on 20% of the snaps might get Rodgers killed in a regular season game though. He´s definitely not ready of playing any meaningful snaps as of now.

It takes time for most OL to develop. Bakh was just adequate as a rookie.

Bakhtiari played at an admirable level starting every single game at left tackle during his rookie season. Spriggs currently isn't anywhere close to that level.

Spriggs is one of the most talented It's in the last few years. He just has to put some weight and lower body strength.

Look at this:

I agree that it's definitely too early to give up on Spriggs but while he's extremely talented athletically he hasn't been able to transform that onto the field when pass protecting by any means.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who watches the sacks given up by spriggs the last couple preseason games, could conclude that spriggs is a bust... but looking closer, you would see that he simply gets set up, and BURNT on inside moves... hook line and sinker, he barely gets a hand on the guy sometimes..., he looks pathetic.

But I noticed he handled on Miller when Miller went outside like he was supposed to... now I have missed most the 3 games so far. So feel free to expand, or disprove my assumption... but I believe spriggs has the makings of a great otackle. Once he tunes up his game...

I remember bahk used to be running backwards on a good bill rush. Usually right in to Rodgers face. He added a few pounds since then, but mostly I'd say he learned how to get more leverage, to stop or slow those bulrushes down. Now he is an allpro left tackle, or close to it...
For the first time, I am optimistic about spriggs becoming a good OT. Just going to take a few more whoopings before he learns how to avoid getting whooped...

To me, Spriggs looks like a guy you don't want to bet Aaron Rodger's health on. Murphy seems to have taken a step forward while Spriggs has regressed - Since they have the same coaches, it's difficult to lay the blame there. Right now he's a liability.

The Packers have released O-lineman in the past who were performing poorly that then went on to have respectable NFL careers (Alan Barbre & Breno Giacomini come to mind). I don't know if GB is ready to give up on Spriggs, a former 2nd round pick, but they've only got 53 roster spots so the margin for error s slim. He needs a better effort Thursday night.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Best part of the thread is the part where someone uses an example of what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers did, as if they are a franchise we should model our decisions after. :roflmao:

Members online

Latest posts