SportsWriter's Cup is always half-empty

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Sep. 19, 2005
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mike Woods
This time, sluggish start is something to worry about

I think we’ve seen enough to know. They are Forrest Gregg bad. Lindy Infante dreadful.

If you feel like the sky is falling, just look up. It is. The Green Bay Packers are in a full-blown freefall.

There is no dispute they are one of the worst teams in the NFL. We know this because, after two weeks, they have lost to two teams who over the past few years have solidly distinguished themselves as two of the worst in all of football.

The Browns? At Lambeau? After the wake-up call at Detroit? This was supposed to be a walkover, or something close to it. Instead, it was the Packers who got stepped on at home once more, the sixth loss in their last 10 tries at the not-so-friendly confines.

This time, it came by a 26-24 count before 70,400 fans, many of whom left early, the rest too stunned to boo when the curtain finally came down.

That ’70s Show is back, and be forewarned: It could be another long, extended run.

You can talk all you want about how the Packers have started slowly before and how they’ve pulled themselves out of the outhouse. But those teams had all-pro quality players at guard, an all-pro at the No. 1 receiver position and a proven starting safety.

This is not one of those teams. This team is worse. Those players are gone and the replacements are a step, or three, below. But what you should be asking yourself today is how, year after year, have they allowed this to happen?

Coach Mike Sherman, the man most responsible for this demise, has said he has talked endlessly to his team this year about the importance of a fast start, the need to commit fewer penalties and the consequences of turning over the ball.

You have to wonder if these speeches have come with anyone in the room.

“If you’ve got an answer, please let me know,’’ said veteran fullback William Henderson. “I don’t know why we do it. But we have.’’

Simply put, the Packers do what bad teams do.

Early in the second quarter, down 10-7 and facing a third-and-5 from the Browns’ 36-yard line, rookie guard William Whitticker gets called for a false start. Brett Favre throws incomplete on the next play and a field goal is no longer an option.

Next series, same score, Favre takes a sack on third-and-4 from the Browns’ 38. Everyone, let me hear another warm Lambeau Field welcome for B.J. Sander.

Then, there are the more obvious blunders, like Favre throwing a pick from the red zone into the end zone, which the Browns turned into a quick six points. Then having another pass tipped and picked at his 23, which Cleveland cashed in with a field goal.

Even with that, good teams, quality teams, are able to overcome those self-inflicted wounds. But not this team.

“From when I got here to the way it is now, there’s not that dominant, emotional you’re-going-to-beat-the-heck-out-of-whoever-is-on-the-field mentality,’’ said kicker Ryan Longwell. “For whatever reason, it’s a different team and it’s not there.’’

The scary part of it is, the waters only get rougher from here. These last two outfits were the easiest two marks on the dance card. They have to face the likes of Tampa Bay, Carolina, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia … we’d go on but we’d have to include everyone.

“Things,’’ said tackle Mark Tauscher, “are at rock bottom.’’

Could be, but doubtful. It appears they’ve got a ways to go before they reach that point.

================================

I'll let you guys pick this Writer apart... I'd rather b-slap his sorry........
I'll check back tomorrow...

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm...well, I agree with him.

Ryan Longwell said:
“From when I got here to the way it is now, there’s not that dominant, emotional you’re-going-to-beat-the-heck-out-of-whoever-is-on-the-field mentality,’’ said kicker Ryan Longwell. “For whatever reason, it’s a different team and it’s not there.’’

Absolutely. And they play like it too. Heck, they've played like that for at least 3 years.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the Players have taken on an air of -

"It's not "my" responsibility - you ain't blamin' me" approach....

And by that, I mean as LEADERS... like myself as the guy in charge (so to speak) of the IPB Club.. I get both sides of the ball - people glad hand me and then others see I'm doing everything wrong.... Truth is, those that are out to find fault are outright cowards to begin with or they'd be wearin' MY shoes already.. and they're NOT! In fact, they go "out of their way" to avoid even making the attempt, they even spend enormous amounts of energy in the avoidance... energy that "could" have been extemely more productive.... alll wasted and gone with nothing to show for it...

Now, while that was just a mouthful, it remains the truth and that spirit of avoidance within the Team in finding someone "in the Locker Room" to be the next Reggie White is exactly what the cancer is in Green Bay right now... and what's more... the fans know it, see it and do not respect it.

I wouldn't care if they had tandem leaders on both Offense and then Defense... just so that there is some semblence of a mission to be had, not just a "job" and that it's being treated like a "job"... I work in computers - I got a late mid-life turn to this vocation and I do pretty well at it - I even "like" what I'm doing and alot of times, I'll support someone in the public sector practically for free when I see it will give me a chance to teach myself something new... I like what I do and damn... I even get paid for it... Some people go thru their whole lives never finding that....

The Players have to remember WHY they became NFL Players...

1) Was it for the experience, because they luv football and now get paid for it?

2) Was it just for the million dollar paychecks and the party after the game (Freeman & Sharper) is more important than paying attention to what got ya here in the 1st place?

Some people told me awhile back that one thing you DID NOT want to see was Antuan Edwards garage door being left wide open.... because it was "stacked" to the rafters with empty beer bottles in cases all over the garage.... I believe it and it showed with his depressed abilities out on the field. It could be we still have quite a few of those types of Players out there... One wonders....

Courage is what's needed here... that's all!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe as a motivator all NFL contracts should be incentive laden. Meaning that players need to achieve certain milestones or show a particular work ethic in order to reach a certain level of pay within their contract.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Maybe as a motivator all NFL contracts should be incentive laden. Meaning that players need to achieve certain milestones or show a particular work ethic in order to reach a certain level of pay within their contract.

who says they're not motivated or having a good enough work ethic...THEY'RE NOT THAT GOOD...whitticker a rookie, we've gotta fill the void left by Javon Walker, and also the void created by Sherman's refusal to use Ahman Green.

Guys who would've benefitted from incentive contracts...Cleditus Hunt and Darren Sharper, would help us a lot now, so I can sort of see what you're saying.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can of intend to agree with you rabidgopher. Give these players an incentive. They are always talking in MN about giving teachers who have children place high in tests a raise. (I don't agree with that idea, by the way). But it seems as if our players need some kind of incentive, and it is not only our players. Hopefully, they can win on Sunday.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmmm, Teachers who do well in teaching the kids in "their" classes do NOT deserve some type of benefit in the success of that......

Measure that with you getting the job done well, with not deserving a pay raise for that job well done....

I guess that's fair... eh?

Now in that regard, as long as THAT is the premise and it's the RULE....
I suppose that's fair - but, then, isn't that treating this as if it's a job at McDonalds? Sure it is....

=========================================

In regard to Teachers? I say "they", not the Administrators... are who should get the raise when Classes and certain Schools do well... Right now, that is certainly NOT the case in just about any Public School System and people wonder where the tax money went... DOH!

How you feelin' now about the non-pay raise I just discussed...?

If the Players do not see some type of incentive, then they "will" treat it as if it "is" a job at McDonalds which is what Sharper and Freeman and Johnson all did... including Hunt. Sure, some players won't lift a finger no matter what... But, they are like bad apples and not the whole bunch in the barrel. In fact, I'm sure you probably feel, like most, that you are already not getting paid what you figure yourself to be worth... unless you own your own business that is...

The Players deserve to see some reward - this is almost like being Gladiators in Rome - only without the weaponry. So yea... they deserve to see some benefit beyond being thankful for not getting fired, even though even that is a guillotine waiting to drop at any time.

Offer up a different angle or option where incentives would be the lesser of the two ideas.... Eh?

Members online

Latest posts