Sports' Lighter Side: Kimmel Banned from MNF

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/10/17/kimmel/index.html

Confused Kimmel reacts to ESPN's decision to ban him

...What Kimmel did during his appearance this week on ESPN's Monday Night Football, according to the show's producer Jay Rothman, was "classless" and "disappointing." Appearing in the third quarter of a moribund game between the Falcons and Giants, Kimmel took multiple swipes at the not-so-smooth departure of Theismann from the broadcast ("I'd also like to welcome Joe Theismann, watching from his living room with steam coming from his ears") and zinged sacred cows Tom Brady ("What impressed me most is that he could impregnate two models"), Kelly Ripa ("Listen if we can have a Mormon President, I can marry Kelly") and sports betting ("Are you allowed to bet legally on this game?"). "It was cheap," Rothman told Richard Sandomir of The New York Times. "The more he went on, the worse he got...."

...As far as sports journalism on television goes, there are so many parties attached to so many other parties that everything you say has major ramifications. When I was at Fox it was the same way. You can't make fun of Jerry Jones because he's the head of the committee that decides which network gets the NFL. There are sacred cows and that's just not honest broadcasting. There really isn't a place for honesty. That's why everyone goes so crazy when somebody like Mike Vick does something that is universally reviled. That's when everyone gets up on their high horse and lambastes him because they know that they can. Everybody is so careful the rest of the time. God forbid, you say something that is not part of the script. It might be the most politically correct of all arenas...."

...Kimmel said he did not have interaction with Rothman after the broadcast but walked out with a couple of producers. He described them as "pleased." Asked for his opinion on safe Monday Night guests, Kimmel suggested Gloria Estefan and Carrot Top ("but they would have to go through his suitcase"). For his part, Kimmel says he is unlikely to appear again on Monday Night Football. "I don't know if I am actually banned from the show but I do know it would be far too uncomfortable to go in there," he said. "Whether I'm technically banned or whether Jay Rothman has the right to make that decision, let's put it this way: Jay Rothman is banned from my show."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: 8) 8) 8)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just proof that this world is becoming a nancy pants bunch of sissies.

Lighten the ***** up. ESPN, you knew his style, you knew what you were getting, quite *****ing.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was funny. Is the league that embarassed their star QB is a man *****? I'd marry Kelly Ripa too
Who was the guy that knocked up all those women and had all those kids? I know HE gets blasted. I guess Brady must use protection, so thats acceptable then. Geez.....

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would wager that there was more to this than what ESPN has listed.

I remember him going on for half the time that he was on last week about how 'nobody is watching this game'. He kept talking about what an ugly matchup it was (which was totally true) and how nobody would watch.... I thought to myself that he was getting himself in trouble.

Reaction score
I think the larger issue here is that ESPN ruins MNF by having this segment in the first place. Well maybe 'ruins' is a bad word... that segment really does nothing to improve the FOOTBALL broadcast.

I tune into MNF to watch football, not to listen to Dennis Miller, Charles Barkley, Jimmy Kimmel et al.

I don't give a rat's behind about what they have to say, their upcoming projects, or their attempt to be funny. Good on them for coming out to the game, but come on the show is called Monday Night FOOTBALL... perhaps keeping more to the theme of the last word might have avoided Kimmel (and many other lame acts) from being given the ability to speak in front of millions in the first place.

PS ESPN - For the love of God / all that is right / the children, PLEASE fire Emmit.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keyshawn is the worst. In fact, the only guys I like one their "expert" shows is Keith Jackson. Ditka is OK, but that's just cause he tends to rock the boat more than the others.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more AADP - FIRE EMMITT ALREADY. He's about as brutal to listen to as Cris Collinsworth.
I clicked a thread and seen this. I don't know the topic, but I can add something that relates to this post.

I'm starting to like Keyshawn Johnson. I don't know if its because Emmit makes me uncomfortable when I watch him or if Key is just decent.

Reaction score
I like Key's bluntness.

The way he goes after Parcells is entertaining... right to the point: "you didn't do a good job of having solid CBs on your team" (or something of that effect).

Gotta give it up to Bill for keeping his emotions in check, and not getting pissed on the air over that.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I like Key's bluntness.

The way he goes after Parcells is entertaining... right to the point: "you didn't do a good job of having solid CBs on your team" (or something of that effect).

Gotta give it up to Bill for keeping his emotions in check, and not getting pissed on the air over that.
I agree. They also have a show together on ESPN radio on Friday night/Saturday morning called ESPN Radio Primetime, with Parcells, Keyshawn, and Chris Mortenson.

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady could get in the pants of Rosie O'Donnell.

A bet a bunch of people could get in the pants of Rosie O'Donnell at the same time. (as long as she is not in them, of course)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A bet a bunch of people could get in the pants of Rosie O'Donnell at the same time. (as long as she is not in them, of course)
EWWWWW!!!!
The bigger question is.............who would WANT to get into Rosie's pants??? :shock:
Who knows what might be living in there, even after she was gone!!! :lol:

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
favrefourevre said:

EWWWWW!!!!
The bigger question is.............who would WANT to get into Rosie's pants??? :shock:

Rosie is actually a little bit less repulsive than she was 15 years ago. Maybe she lost weight, maybe as you get older, ugly chics look better, who knows.

I liked Kimmel, wish they didnt can his *** cuz i wanna see what he has to say about Peyton Manning, the way they dumped Leftwich in Jax, etc. After the "life and death" of football all saturday and sunday, its kind of nice to watch some entertainment on Monday

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This exemplifies what is wrong with how nationally televised night games are broadcast. The networks decide that football isn't sufficient, there needs to be other entertainment.

So they have an endless string of boring hacks like Jim Belushi who are not funny or insightful.

Then when the entertainment is actually funny or at least engaging, they throw a fit. They prefer bland and inane guest commentary.

Either stick to football or let Kimmel do his thing when you invite him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
favrefourevre said:

EWWWWW!!!!

Rosie is actually a little bit less repulsive than she was 15 years ago. Maybe she lost weight, maybe as you get older, ugly chics look better, who knows.
LOLOLOL!!!!! :lol:
To me, it's not even that she's not physically attractive........it's her attitude, and the way she's a bully. Lets put it this way........if Michael Vick could have got ahold of her, she would have been one fighting in the pit.
I saw clips of when she attacked Elizabeth Hasselbeck on "The View" (no, i don't watch the show!LOLOL!!!) and i think Rosie thought because Hasselbeck is cute and small that she could just bully her into submission. To EB's credit, she didn't back down from the big bully.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts