sporting news grades teams offseason

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's ours.
Lions: The new quarterback combo (Jon Kitna and Josh McCown) is a lot better than the old one (Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia), and the Lions retained a few of their important free agents, such as left tackle Jeff Backus and defensive end Kalimba Edwards. Grade: A

Bears: The Bears are the least-altered team in the league. Their biggest acquisition was backup quarterback Brian Griese. They lost nobody of substance. Grade: C

Packers: The secondary looks stronger with the additions of corner Charles Woodson and safety Marquand Manuel. But the Pack will lack one quality blocker (Mike Flanagan), one big-time receiver (Javon Walker) and one solid kicker (Ryan Longwell). Grade: C-

Vikings: They loaded up on offense, welcoming Steve Hutchinson, Tony Richardson and halfback Chester Taylor. At the same time, they watched the breakup of the defense they worked so hard to build last year. Linebackers Sam Cowart and Keith Newman, end Lance Johnstone, safety Corey Chavous and corner Brian Williams all left. Grade: D

LINK (scroll down for other teams grades)

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been giving the Lions "A"s in the draft and in the offseason ever since Millen took over (nice shilling for one of your own sports reporters) and they've yet to be right.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got news for you lion fans both of your QB's suck balls and if you think there any good im going to laugh when i see the lions break the record of most ints thrown in a season.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCown sucks balls, but Kitna is solid. He isn't amazing by any means, but he is a decent stop gap.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
I got news for you lion fans both of your QB's suck balls and if you think there any good im going to laugh when i see the lions break the record of most ints thrown in a season.

Kitna is a decent QB. he's definitely not a superstar, but if you give him the right tools he's capable of putting together a winning season.

ok, maybe not a winning season...but 7-9 might take the North next year lol.

OP
OP
B

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys forget that they are both better than Harrington. No matter how much you say they suck balls the Lion's have upgraded in the offseason. It's easy for you guys to say any qb sucks balls when you have lord Favre at qb. We haven't had a decent qb in Detroit in decades.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCown can be pretty good.

Kitna already is good.

I like their QBs. If Favre woulda retired, those 2 were near the top of my list of FA QBs I woulda wanted.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
big3 said:
laugh it up smartass, Brett can't play forever.
Matt Millen can't be a crappy GM foreveer... oh yes he can :loser: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :lol: :lol: :D :loser: :loser: :loser: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :D :loser: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :loser:

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:

I think that they are definately improved at QB.

Yes, Favre is good, but it is hard not to laugh when a Packer fan is jabbing other teams about throwing ints after last year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
You guys forget that they are both better than Harrington. No matter how much you say they suck balls the Lion's have upgraded in the offseason. It's easy for you guys to say any qb sucks balls when you have lord Favre at qb. We haven't had a decent qb in Detroit in decades.

Glad to see you don't deny the fact, that the Lions have been giving a high grade every year and always fail to deliver

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This type of grading is almost as bad as grading draft classes the day after the draft. We will have a much better feel for the offseason moves at the midway point of the season. Much depends on how players fit into systems, other players around the new acquisitions, age, injuries, etc.

But it is fun to pontificate when there is no real activity going on in the league.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
PackerLegend said:

I think that they are definately improved at QB.

Yes, Favre is good, but it is hard not to laugh when a Packer fan is jabbing other teams about throwing ints after last year.

No $hit, Pot calling the kettle black? :wink:

Members online

Latest posts