Sporting News Best and Worst Moves of the Offseason

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
it's no more wasted money than paying Sherman over $6 million for doing nothing.

That was a 'dandy' deal, but at this point it is worse. In addition to overpaying for Woodson (which we could afford to take a gamble) it is an awful lot like paying Sherman to do nothing but even more $$$ -- since he hasn't seen fit to bother showing up for a single OTA session or workout session.

Woodson seems to suffer from Cletius Hunt disease -- "Now that I got my money, why workout when it interfers with my buzz."

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Weak leak? I meant weak link.

I did take a weak leak this morning, however, and while doing so got beat by ten yards which proves it's not good whether it's a leak or a link.

WarHawk

I thought "weak leak" was inspired! When applied to Mr Carroll, you'd have to wonder where he had his hands?!?! :roll:

Chris

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here and other boards the fans were clamoring for TT to make some off-season FA moves.

So he did. He paid the market rate. Starting cornerbacks don't come cheap. This contract is not out of whack with the rest of the league.

I look at corners on other teams(Fred Smoot for instance) and think we have a player of comparable ability. I also think the Packers should re-do Harris' deal(upfront some of the backend money so the deal isn't larger, just paid quicker). So TT didn't overpay. He paid what the market is paying. TT would pay Woodson 25 dollars a game and a free lunch at Kroll's if he could get away with it.

If you look at the Raiders, their defensive coaches apparently aren't all that smart given their records over the past few years. Why couldn't you find a defense(like Green Bay's) that uses Woodson's bump-and-run ability to it's fullest?

I don't think anyone is going to to be complaining if he can stay healthy. That, to me, is TT's biggest risk in this deal.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Woodson overpaided? Maybe, but he fills a vital role for the Packers next year. PLus the way the contract is created, he'll make the most of his money in the nextr couple of years, and as the contract continues, he'll count less and less against the cap.
Just watch this year. Opposing QBs will have to pass in the direction of either Woodson or Harris. Both CBs will have a very good year, both will probably have over 8 INTs.

Members online

Latest posts