1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sporting News Best and Worst Moves of the Offseason

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ~TheJoker~, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ~TheJoker~

~TheJoker~ Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Under Worst, of course:

3. Packers overpay Charles Woodson. He remains a physical cornerback and a fearless competitor, but Woodson hasn't played a 16-game season since 2001 and coaches in Oakland questioned his commitment. Green Bay's payday -- reportedly $10.5 million in the first year, at least $18 million over three -- was far too much.

Just thought I'd share the love.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    lol

I cant wait till the season starts

3. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I disagree, I am hoping it pans out but it was very RISKY!

4. C-Mize

C-Mize Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. We did spend way too much on him. It would be different if he would of lived up to his potential in Oakland...but he didnt, he was a let down. Hopefully he will prove me wrong here in Green Bay and be the Dominant Shut-Down Corner that he always had the potential to be. We may have paid too much for him, but what else would we of done with this year's money ??

5. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    we definatly did overpay but it was not one of the three worst moves. We had the space so we used it.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    we used it on arguably our weakest position on the team.

7. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Even if it doesnt pan out the packers needed this type of signing for many reasons.

8. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. As long as he stays healthy he's an upgrade over Carroll who was are weak point on the defense the last 2 years in my opinion.

9. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well see what a bad draft pick will do.

When Reynolds appeared to be a bad pick then Joe Johnson was signed.
    Vonnie Holiday knew he was worth more and got mad.

The draft affects the team for years. The good like Tauscher and the bad
    like...the reason Woodson was signed.

Al Harris hopefully does not get mad.

10. LambeauEast

LambeauEast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He kinda already is, isn't he?

11. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Truthfully I don't have a problem with the money they payed. I do have a problem with paying the money and they guy doesn't show up for OTA's. To me that send the Packers a signal that perhaps his reputation as lacking commitment might just be true. If it is, somebody needs to get in his face soon and straighten this out. What we don't need is another high paid veteran setting a bad example.

12. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't have a problem with the signing. I think Charles Woodson is going to make a big impact next season.

13. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They did overpay, but they overpaid on purpose because they had the cap room and it is a deal that won't kill them if they have to cut him. On the outside it appears like it is a bad move but it really wasn't.

14. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Too early for me to tell. wait till the season starts.

15. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping that the Woodson signing works out for the best, but at the same time, knowing his recent history, I'm not holding my breath. My guess is that Carroll will be back starting at some point before the year is over.

If Carrol's attitude in these minicamps is the result of the Woodson signing, IMO we're already seeing the benefits of it even if Woodson never does produce. And if not, it's no more wasted money than paying Sherman over $6 million for doing nothing.

16. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    :bites lip:

17. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I was listening to Fox sports radio tonight and they spoke about the concern about all the missing players in Green Bay and that there is no way that this is a good thing. I agree. Big time players who make big time money need to be here, no matter what. With the kind of money Woodson is making, there is no way that he couldn't have changed his plans.

18. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They didn't overpay. That is what elite players get-big money. Didn't Tampa offer the same (or more) money? Seems like that was the going rate. Did Ty Law sign yet? Will be interesting to see what he gets.

19. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner...His contract is set up so that he likely will be cut in ~3 years. No doubt the Pack paid way too much, but that $$$ was going to be tossed away anyway since the Pack couldn't spend it all. Furthermore, it adds a big name, debatably lured Favre back, adds depth, takes the onus off of Hawkins and Carroll so they can improve even more.

20. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    The only "if" is in regards to his health. If he can stay healthy he is a great player and his presence on the field giving the "D" to great bump and run corners will be huge.
    The wildcard is the injuries but if he stays healthy there is very few corners in the league as good as he is and certainly not Carroll. The only way he get's in there is if Woodson is on the sidelines with no pads on.

Our "D" is basic by design in the first place but was REALLY basic with Collins being a rookie, Roman being Roman, and Carroll.

With Collins having a year under his belt, Manuel steppin in, AND, Woodson providing two excellent man coverage guys on the corners all kinds of different pressures will be used.

And those possibilities don't exist if you have a weak leak at corner.

21. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Yes but when your on the sidelined injured, you're not much help. I think Woodson is a natural athlete who is just extremely lazy. When he was in his early 20's he could get by but now age and the failure to properly workout and condition his body is starting to catchup with him.

22. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Weak leak? I meant weak link.

I did take a weak leak this morning, however, and while doing so got beat by ten yards which proves it's not good whether it's a leak or a link.

23. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They say he is working out in Europe. It'll be something to see when he reports for Training camp and what kind of condition he is in. I agree with you though. He's a boom or bust signing and he's very lazy.

24. packers34

packers34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i have to agree but i hope he proves me wrong if he does it was a geat move.

25. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Give the guy a break - he had a broken leg for 2/3's of his missed games. A broken leg doesn't make you injury prone - it's a freak accident. Steve Smith seemed just fine last year. I like the signing - whether it pans out or not it was sorely needed for many reasons on and off the field.