Spitz and Moll to start opening day

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Report: Rookie O-linemen Moll, Spitz To Open '06 Season As Starters

by Jeff Harding, Packers.com
posted 08/21/2006

With two preseason games in the books and two to play, Head Coach Mike McCarthy on Monday said he will not wait until the end of training camp to name his opening day starters along the offensive line.

Joining veterans Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher and third-year center Scott Wells will be 2006 draft picks Tony Moll and Jason Spitz.

"This is the direction we'll go, with Tony at right guard and Jason on the left," McCarthy said. "I thought it was important and I think we've talked about it the last couple of weeks that I was not comfortable waiting until the end of training camp to name the starting five. So by going in this direction it gives us a chance to get these five guys prepped and ready for Chicago."

Moll, a fifth-round draft choice from Nevada, has had solid performances throughout training camp practices, capped by an impressive night vs. Atlanta, Saturday.

"When I got drafted it sounded like I would just be sitting the bench if I made it playing tackle," said Moll, who played tight end and defensive end in high school and tight end during his first four years at Nevada. "So I've made a complete 180 with this and hopefully it's a good decision. Now I can only play my best."

With two preseason games in his future to help him acclimate to his new starting role before the Chicago Bears come calling September 10, Moll looks forward to the opportunity to continue to impress coaches and the time to gel with the same set of linemen on each and every play.

"It shows that the coaches are noticing that I'm working hard and understanding what needs to be done at the NFL level," Moll said. "It's more than one guy. I'm part of a five-man line, so I can only do my part and I'm going to do it to the best of my ability.

"Everyone has their own little trademarks in what they do and everyone's a little different in their calls. Now that I know I'm going to be working with the same guys, it will make a difference."

Spitz agrees that not having the pressure of trying to win a starting role the rest of training camp will help, but it no way does it give them room to relax.

"Anytime you're in their together as one unit it's going to give you time to gel," Spitz said. "I think it's going to be a long time until we are where we need to be. And in no way is (being named a starter) an indicator of how it's going to be the rest of the season.

"You can't get caught up in that. You still have to do your job and you still have to perform everyday. It's a 'show me' world so if I'm not doing my job, a couple of weeks from now it's not going to be the same five."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you new after Saturday's game that McCarthy was going to give the vote of confidence to these guys. I have no doubt that they will struggle but I also have no doubt that we can see what we saw on Saturday and improvement from gamd too game.

It's time to find depth. We're one injury away from being back to square 1.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is a good move. Last year the team waited until opening day for this. This at least will give the team a few more weeks to gel and to figure out each others nuances and tendencies in order to play as one and become better.

showstopper4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
poor daryn colledge, had high hopes for him. makes for good depth at the gaurd position i guess, he's still got a bright future. I'm happy that our line starting to take shape early, it might help us get our season off to the right start.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showstopper4 said:
poor daryn colledge, had high hopes for him. makes for good depth at the gaurd position i guess, he's still got a bright future. I'm happy that our line starting to take shape early, it might help us get our season off to the right start.

Thought I read that Colledge is moving to the left tackle position, backing up Clifton on our depth charts.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
showstopper4 said:

Thought I read that Colledge is moving to the left tackle position, backing up Clifton on our depth charts.

Yeah he's not working out at guard. I watched the game back and he still had his problems. I think LT is his best position. He played it in college and didn't give up a single sack in his career.

He shut down Mathias Kiwanuka (Giants 1st round pick) and "Kiwi" is having a field day in pre season so far. Colledge at LT and Coston at RG makes the most sense in my opinion.

showstopper4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no i dont think they have worked colledge once at tackle, and doubt he'll get moved there, it will take time but he will make a good gaurd.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh how 2-3 months changes everything. Two months ago you guys were putting him into the Packers Hall Of Fame from all the "TAPE" you watched him at Boise State.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Oh how 2-3 months changes everything. Two months ago you guys were putting him into the Packers Hall Of Fame from all the "TAPE" you watched him at Boise State.

You just classified me and I don't recall putting anyone in the hall who hasn't taken an NFL snap. Who are you even talking about anyhow?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

You just classified me and I don't recall putting anyone in the hall who hasn't taken an NFL snap. Who are you even talking about anyhow?

I recall saying he should be a good fit for the scheme which I still believe he can be. I never recall anyone saying he'd make the Hall of Fame.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not giving up on him yet but if you do your research I think you will find my post that I thought Spitz was a better pick than Colledge.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts