Spite, not love, driving Favre's potential return?

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of us already knew that Brett hated TT.

Spite, not love, driving Favre's potential return?

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

MILWAUKEE (AP) For most of his career, he was celebrated as a tough guy playing a man's game with the joy of a little boy. Now Brett Favre stands on the verge of plunging the sports world into yet another offseason's worth of waffling on his retirement.

Does Favre really want to play for the Minnesota Vikings - or is he simply willing to jump at any chance to play against the Green Bay Packers and prove a point to the man who traded him, general manager Ted Thompson?

That doesn't seem to be a particularly important question in the Twin Cities right now, where the potential signing of Favre is seen as the final piece in an otherwise Super Bowl-ready roster. The chance to tweak a division rival makes it even juicier.

Even Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty - perhaps forgetting that he'd need to pick up a vote or two in Wisconsin if he runs for president in 2012 - called the potential Favre signing "a wonderful little salt to rub in the eyes of some of our Green Bay Packer friends" on Wednesday.

"Can you imagine Brett Favre going into Lambeau Field in Viking purple and maybe even wearing No. 4?," Pawlenty asked. "There would be audible gasps."

Right now, the collective sound emanating from Wisconsin - and anywhere else fans have tired of Favre's now-annual bouts of public indecision on his football future - is a loud, protracted groan.

The 39-year-old Favre, who is a free agent after retiring for the second time in as many years and being released by the New York Jets, is scheduled to meet with Minnesota coach Brad Childress this week to discuss the possibility of playing for the Vikings, according to several media reports.

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, did not return messages left by The Associated Press. But in an interview posted on USA Today's Web site Wednesday afternoon, Cook reiterated that Favre remains retired, said he wasn't aware of any meeting with Childress, and denied that Favre would return simply out of spite.

"Are there certain things about the Packers, how things ended there and he felt they didn't treat him right? That's true," Cook told the newspaper. "Does he have a certain vendetta against them? That's not true. If he came back, it would be because he wants another chance to win a Super Bowl."

For now, much remains unclear about Favre's situation, including just how much he has left to give. He was awful at the end of last season, and apparently hasn't had surgery to fix an arm injury that might explain his subpar play.

That's the danger in a comeback: While Favre would get a pair of chances to stick it to his old team with the Vikings, he also could sustain a serious injury, alienate whatever remains of his fan base in Wisconsin and become a national punchline in the process.

And he shouldn't expect his former Packers teammates to take it easy on him.

Packers linebacker Nick Barnett posted on his Twitter account Wednesday that Favre should "do whatever he feels is in his heart" - as long as he's prepared for Packers players to treat him like the enemy.

"Once he puts (on) that purple, he will become an enemy which is all part of the game," Barnett said. "It's hard to imagine him doing that."

But given the squishy nature of Favre's relationship with the concept of retirement, and the depth of his distaste for Thompson, it really isn't all that hard to imagine.

Even in his announcing his second retirement in February after one season with the New York Jets, Favre had a hard time hiding his grudge against the Packers general manager.

"My stay in Green Bay was unbelievable, unbelievable," Favre said at the time. "And not one thing could take that away, not one person. And that organization has been outstanding to me throughout my career. It is what it is. It's unfortunate."

Favre went a step further in a subsequent interview with SI.com's Peter King, saying, "Part of me coming back last year, I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted."

Favre's list of complaints against Thompson stretches back several years, and includes the Packers letting a pair of veteran offensive linemen leave through free agency, not signing wide receiver Randy Moss and not interviewing Favre's friend, Steve Mariucci, after Mike Sherman was fired.

The camera-shy Thompson hasn't taken public potshots at Favre throughout the controversy, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy tried to distance himself from the subject last week.

"If Brett wants to play football, he should play football," McCarthy said. "And that's really my stance on it. I mean, if he still wants to play, he should take advantage of his opportunities."

McCarthy clearly didn't want to get sucked back into an issue that became a major distraction during the team's training camp last year, before Favre ultimately was traded to the Jets.

"The what-ifs and the hypothetical stories, you know, I thought maybe you guys would give me a bye this year," McCarthy joked to reporters. "I did such a good job last year."

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum wished Favre well.

"As I've said in the past, Brett will be a friend of the Jets for years to come," Tannenbaum said in a statement. "I appreciate his contributions and wish him well in whatever he decides to do."

Meanwhile, Favre's once-untouchable popularity in Wisconsin seems to be waning - although one of the team's most famous fans, NASCAR driver Matt Kenseth, said he wouldn't mind Favre playing for the Vikings.

"I hope he comes back and plays again," Kenseth said. "I think it would be fun to have him in the division and play at Lambeau Field again."

But former Packers and Vikings safety Darren Sharper said Favre's image would likely take a big hit in Wisconsin.

"He's not going to want to answer any fan mail," Sharper said, in an interview on Sirius NFL Radio. "He's not going to want to look at any Web sites or blogs. Because the way I took a beating when I left Green Bay and headed to Minnesota, to think of Brett Favre, a legend for the Packers, going to Minnesota? He won't be able to go back to, I think, Wisconsin to get inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame because they're going to be a little bit upset."
---

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he hates TT, how can he hate the organization as a whole? More importantly, how can he hate the fans?

Savage bad dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me its more like being stabbed in the back by my father... It hurts but i cant help but love him still!

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Report: Favre will remain retired
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

May 7, 2009 3:42 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert
Just a heads-up: Yahoo! Sports is reporting that quarterback Brett Favre has told Minnesota coach Brad Childress that he wants to remain retired. If true, that explains why Childress didn't travel to a planned meeting with Favre on Wednesday evening. As always, we'll keep you updated.

Well...a light at the end of the tunnel.
I have always said: I will hate Brett IF he signs with that horrible purple team.

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the story all over sports radio here in LA. Well that and the Manny Ramirez 50 game suspension for taking women's hormones. good times.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we are witnessing (again) is the same thing that happened every off-season with regard to the future of #4.

Q. Did this latest rumor initiate from Hattiesburg, MS?

A. No. Same as in other seasons a scoop hound from ESPN (or elsewhere) fabricates a story causing every other media outlet to climb on board with it & splash it on every TV in America. (Freakin' Charles Gibson on ABC Evening News mentioned it!)

Q. Who gets ultimate responsibility for providing a timely response to satisfy the piqued interest of the football community?

A. #4 or Bus Cook. Not the ******* who broke the "story" or any other sports journalist. They get to throw it out there & watch what unfolds with no accountability for causing the fracas.

Q. How many so-called fans are now blaming #4 for this & labeling him "attention *****" & "prima dona"?

A. All of them.

#4 dealt with this every off-season in the new millennium. Whether you agree with this assessment or not it's undeniable that the toll it took on this man having to deal with the pending onslaught of unnecessary media madness during his off-seasons certainly grew tiresome.

Eventually he probably just decided it best to ignore it every time his name got tossed into news & that may have been his biggest mistake. It caused almost everyone to believe he wished to have this annual public free-for-all to satisfy his perceived over-the-top ego.

If #4 truly needs as much attention as most everyone accuses him of requiring, wouldn't he possibly live in a more media-accessible place than Hattiesburg, MS?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought he was going to go, It just didn't seem like a smart choice for Brett.

IrishCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly as c_mac said. This would have to be considered a final act of treason against THE FANS. And would be, IMHO, unforgivable. :mad:
agreed, i really wouldn't be able to root for him any more if he played for the vikings, and that bunch of fair weather fans...

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has played a lot of years in Green Bay and given his heart & soul to the Packer organization. No one loves Brett or the Packers more then I do (to me), but if Brett still wants to play ball then more power to him. Personally, I think it will help GB if he plays for the Vikings. He isn't at all Mobile and has struggled mightily against 3-4 defenses (remember Dallas). I just would hope that the Fans of GB will be as classy as they have always have been and show him the love and respect he deserves as a life long Packer even though he might be playing for the Vikings. Remember he isn't the same Farve that played in GB and the Vikings Coach doesn't know what the hell he is doing either. This transition might be a blessing in disguise for GB.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has played a lot of years in Green Bay and given his heart & soul to the Packer organization. No one loves Brett or the Packers more then I do (to me), but if Brett still wants to play ball then more power to him. Personally, I think it will help GB if he plays for the Vikings. He isn't at all Mobile and has struggled mightily against 3-4 defenses (remember Dallas). I just would hope that the Fans of GB will be as classy as they have always have been and show him the love and respect he deserves as a life long Packer even though he might be playing for the Vikings. Remember he isn't the same Farve that played in GB and the Vikings Coach doesn't know what the hell he is doing either. This transition might be a blessing in disguise for GB.

I tend to agree. We were ready to move onto Rodgers. Favre gave us probably the best years of his career without question, and if he feels he's got more to play, who are we to question it. True, we may be right that he should just hanging it up, but sometimes people cannot see the truth concerning themselves, and in Favre's case, I seriously doubt that he really has that much spite against Green Bay to just play against them.

I think he feels a familiarity with the Vikings staff, and that is why he is being tantalized by it, but truly, I don't care whether he plays this year or not. I've moved on from him being a Packer player, the rest of us need to move on, and realize we have no control over what he does, nor should we expect him to do just what we think he should do.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He gave us 16 years of his life, we gave him all our love and devotion and comprehensiveness (is that right?) for many many interceptions thrown. It's equal.
The problem is the quote: "I wanna stick it to TT". I have no problem if PackersRS or Wizard 87 or any one of us want to stick it to TT. Heck, I wanted to stick it to TT when he drafted Justin Harrell.
But when one of the greatest players of our team history wants to play for a clear rival team just to stick it to a GM, forgetting all the fans and all his time in that place...that's just a sad ending.
Of course, it could be a blessing in disguise for GB. Favre is not the same, he is having a bicep injury, he may not be the iron man we were used to and that could "debacle" (emmith smith quote) the queens season. But how can we know?
All we know right now is that he wants to stick it to the Pack.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is the quote: "I wanna stick it to TT". I have no problem if PackersRS or Wizard 87 or any one of us want to stick it to TT. Heck, I wanted to stick it to TT when he drafted Justin Harrell.
But when one of the greatest players of our team history wants to play for a clear rival team just to stick it to a GM, forgetting all the fans and all his time in that place...that's just a sad ending.
What now, am I not important enough that my actions and opinions don't matter? (Don't answer :p)
But I agree with you in part. I have no problem at all that he wants to prove TT wrong (I'm sick of using that term when one "sticks it". Used. Sorry). I have no problem with him wanting to play again, and even wanting to beat us. That's fine. We let him go.
BUT WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE QUEENS, OR THE BEARS, or the cowgirls, BUT SPECIALLY THE QUEENS AND BEARS, then he's giving a huge middle finger to all the fans that adored him, and that's what gets me. But he hasn't signed anything yet, so that's all an assumption.
(I said I wouldn't post about him anymore, but I've been called out)

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question for packer history buffs. My dad said that he thought something like this happened once before, that the packers either let go, or traded a QB who ended up with the Vikings I think it was and made him mad or something. Anyone know who he might have been talking about? I forgot to ask.

Lambow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'ts hard to be mad at Favre for looking to find a team to play for after the packers sandbagged him.
I'm ready to move on however. Brett's gone, now lets find a qb. An NFL qb not a pee-wee qb. I bet Jeff Garcia will be available this season. He's not an allstar but he's better than #12.(Can throw 15+ yards as well)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'ts hard to be mad at Favre for looking to find a team to play for after the packers sandbagged him.
I'm ready to move on however. Brett's gone, now lets find a qb. An NFL qb not a pee-wee qb. I bet Jeff Garcia will be available this season. He's not an allstar but he's better than #12.(Can throw 15+ yards as well)

:confused:

:headbang:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Question for packer history buffs. My dad said that he thought something like this happened once before, that the packers either let go, or traded a QB who ended up with the Vikings I think it was and made him mad or something. Anyone know who he might have been talking about? I forgot to ask.

Not off hand...

Members online

Latest posts