Speaking of da bears: Halas may be papa, but Brett is daddy.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... with more than a decade of domination.

Brett Favre has gone 20-4 against da bears and in the process put up good enough numbers to make the Hall of Fame based upon his performances against them alone.

Below is a run down of the last 10 Seasons (20 games) of Packer and Favre (.833) Vs da bears(.166):

9/11/95
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packers sack da bears 27 to 24.

11/12/95

Armed and Dangerous: Favre carves up Bears for 5 TDs.

10/6/96

Bear(ly) competitive: Pack manhandles defenseless Chicago. Favre had four touchdowns passes and a fifth called back before giving way to Jim McMahon in 37 – 6 Rout.

12/1/96

Holmgren and Favre run record to 7-1 against da bears with 28-17 win over da bears.

9/1/97

Grin and Bear it: Injuries crash Packers' party as Packers rout da bears for 7th straight time 38-24

10/12/97

Favre and the Pack make it 8, as da bears remain behind the 8-ball.

12/13/98

Grin and Bear it: Levens, Freeman star in win in 9th straight win against da bears.

12/27/98

Defense propels Pack to playoffs with 10th straight spanking of da bears.

11/7/99

Blocked field goal a kick in the gut; as da bears end streak with 14 - 13 win over the Pack.

12/5/99

A damp good feeling: Rookies help grind down Bears as Brett dominates da bears again, 35 -- 19

10/1/00

Green Bay lets the unbearable happen da bears 27 – packers 24

12/3/00

Brett Favre throws his 36th touchdown pass against the Chicago in 28 – 6 spanking of da bears.

11/11/01

Packers derail 'A-Train,' Bears

12/9/01

It's oh so sweep Packers 17, da bears 7

10/7/02

Favre's all bubbly as Bears fall flat as Brett again dominates da bears – this time in Champaign 34 – 21

12/1/02

North Pole winners, Packers bag da bears and division title, Packers 30, da bears 20

9/29/03

Party crashers: Pack spoils opening of cub den, Packers 38, da bears 23

12/7/03

Packers rally from 14 – 0 deficit to crush da bears 34 - 21

9/19/04

Lambeau bleep; fumble turns tide of game as da bears win for only 2nd time this century against the Packers.

2/1/05

World returns to normal as the Packers maul da bears: 31 – 14.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Speaking of da bears: Halas may be papa, but Brett is da

Nice post Bruce, very nice post. Hope we will all see him smiling like that again soon.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, the Bears sucked for many, many years so it's easy to beat a team when they are down. I think it was 2001 when the Bears when 13-3 and 2 of the 3 losses were to the Packers. ;)

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dang it's nice to have Bruce back!!!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep. That's nice for you. The Bears-Packers history only goes back to the 90s right? What? You mean there is more to the story? Okay, then let me tell it.
The Bears still hold the all time record vs. the Packers.
From 1976 to 1992 the Bears went 23-9 vs. the Packers and out scored them 637 to 408. The Bears went to the playoffs 9 times, won 6 division titles, went to the NFC Championship game 3 times and won the Super Bowl while the Packers went to the playoffs just once and that was in the "Super Bowl Tournament" year when the players went on strike and should not even count.
The Bears finished the five-year period (1984-1988) with 62 wins-most by any NFL team ever in such a span.
What does this have to do with the topic? Like I said before a single game was played this season, the Bears are the team on the rise and the Packers are in decline. The power balance in the division has shifted to the Bears side once again and it is now the Packers who will struggle for the next ten years or so.
I said that the Bears would be at least 8-8 even when Grossman went down and said that the Packers would be lucky to finish .500 for the year.
Don't believe me? Look up my posts dated before the season started.

Welcome back to "That 70s Show" Packer fans.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philtration said:
Yep. That's nice for you. The Bears-Packers history only goes back to the 90s right? What? You mean there is more to the story? Okay, then let me tell it.

Are you kidding? Packer fans never forget history nor their 12 World Championships. If you are 50 years old Phil, the Packers have won the Packers have played for 7 World Championships to da bears 1 in that span. da bears and the Packers are the two riches franchises in the history of football, so if you want to talk history with Packer fans you better eat your Wheaties first.

But out of deference for da bears great season, I did pull a pre Favre tilt that I'm sure you remember this one:

Pictures that tell great stories: This one tell a story of the day that time stood still…

… at least it did for somewhere between 4 and 5 minutes on a gray and dreary Sunday afternoon at Lambeau field for Packer players, coaches diehard Packer fans who wanted to beat da bears so badly that they could taste it.

Yes, a picture tells a thousand stories, and this one is no exception…
…but a series of pictures closely scrutinized by head official Bill Parkinson was the prelude to the picture above.

It is easy to forget that the Packers led 7-3, at halftime.

Because Chicago’s Kevin Butler's second field goal of the day and a 2-yard run by Brad Muster had given the Bears a 13-7 lead after three quarters.

Packer hopes kept getting dashed in the 4th quarter as:

· Green Bay had the ball first-and-10 at the Chicago 20 when Majkowski, looking to pass, had the ball knocked loose when he was sacked by linebacker John Roper. Linebacker Ron Rivera fell on the football for Chicago.

· Or on the next series, after a 67-yard pass from Majkowski to Brent Fullwood moved the ball to the Chicago 23-yard line. Two plays later, Majkowski saw Sharpe open in the end zone. But he didn't see Rivera, who intercepted the ball at the 10 to stop another would-be scoring drive.

· Or with 4:00 left when Majkowski had a pass tipped at the line of scrimmage. Bears tackle Steve McMichael leaped to grab the easy interception, but tight end Ed West wrestled the ball away and the Packers maintained possession.

· Or with 1:26 left in the game and Green Bay on the Chicago 7-yard line. Again, Majkowski had the ball knocked loose by Roper. It lay untouched on the ground for several seconds before Green Bay center Blair Bush fell on it.

"I fell like I was moving in slow motion," Bush said.

But Bush's play kept the drive and the dream of beating the Bears alive.

Refusing to quit, while trailing, 13-7, the Pack had the ball at Chicago's 14-yard line, facing fourth and goal.

Quarterback Don Majkowski, the Majik Man, broke from the pocket and perilously closed in on the line of scrimmage just as he delivered the ball to wide receiver Sterling Sharpe in the middle of the field, maybe 2 yards deep in the end zone, for an apparent touchdown with only 32 seconds remaining.

The stands and Packer fans everywhere went wild.

But wait a minute.

There was a flag on the opposite side of the field.

Jim Quirk, the line judge, had called a penalty on Majkowski for crossing the line of scrimmage. The final decision would be left to replay official Bill Parkinson.

For nearly 5 minutes he reviewed the play with the outcome of the game hanging in the balance and nearly everyone in Lambeau Field standing in stunned silence or buzzing about the consequences.

Finally, the verdict was announced.

The call on the field was overturned and all that separated the Packers from victory was a Chris Jacke extra point. Suddenly, all those pent up emotions that Packers fans had been harboring for years exploded into one long, thunderous cheer.

Jacke converted and the Packers owned a 14-13 victory over the Bears, one of their most dramatic in pro football's most storied rivalry.

The game is still referred to as the “Instant Replay Game.â€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Phil..

How bad are you going to feel when the Packers crush the Bears this weekend?

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philtration said:
The power balance in the division has shifted to the Bears side once again and it is now the Packers who will struggle for the next ten years or so.

ARE YOU FOR REAL? 10 YEARS OR SO? The bears haven't even won the division. As Mora said: "PLAYOFFS?! :?: PLayoffs??! :?:

Power balance?! Power BALANCE?? WHY 10 OR MORE YEARS?

Oh I see. Wishful thinking of a Bear fan.

I hope the McCaskeys hold the puppet strings to that team forever :p

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The bears are 8-3 but still haven't beat a depleted Packer team yet, so be careful about the "balance of power" shift bu11shit.

Phil...if you want to go all-time I think 12 world championships trumps 9. 3 Super Bowls tops 1.

One last thing. What is the bears #1 goal this year and every year? To win the George Halas Trophy? Nah....they want a piece of the great Green Bay tradition in there trophy case. They ALL play for the Lombardi Trophy.......ALWAYS remember that!

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yooperfan said:
Bruce,
That is the best post I have ever read on this forum!
Thanks for the memories.

Phil,
It is but one year remember. As much as I hate this season, I see a better one next year, why with the injuries and whatnot. The Packers were dethroned because of poor play to be sure, but they have been competitive every game. but the loss of so many starters has been at the root of that. I'm not grousing, injuries are part of the NFL, and it was the Packers turn to get an inoordinate amount. It's been a tough year, but I have faith in our GM.
Why go back to 1932, why not 1920?
Hammer

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
One last thing. What is the bears #1 goal this year and every year? To win the George Halas Trophy? Nah....they want a piece of the great Green Bay tradition in there trophy case. They ALL play for the Lombardi Trophy.......ALWAYS remember that!

You are so right Depack. At the press conference after they signed Lovie Smith, he said his No. 1 priority was to not win the Superbowl, not win the division, but to beat the Packers, so the Bears fans would warm up to him.

I guess "10 years or so"(and 25 starting quarterbacks) is a rebuilding period in a bears frame of mind :-?

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce! Look, what you've done!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Miskito said:
Quite disturbing, indeed.

Not quite as disturbing as facing "your daddy" Brett again -- I would imagine. How are the nightmares --as you would call them / pleasant memories what most here would call them -- coming my friend miskito?

Ahhhh da bears week -- any true football fan has to be excited about this time of season.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
Miskito said:
Quite disturbing, indeed.

Not quite as disturbing as facing "your daddy" Brett again -- I would imagine. How are the nightmares --as you would call them / pleasant memories what most here would call them -- coming my friend miskito?

Ahhhh da bears week -- any true football fan has to be excited about this time of season.

Bruce, you have always been one of my favorite posters to read. Alas, I think the tide is turning for our two teams and it is going to be pretty ugly on Sunday for the Green and Gold. This morning I was listening to the radio and the song came on, "We're not gonna take it!" and it seemed to fit so well for this weekend. All of these years the Bears have been taking a pounding from the Packers and we're not gonna take it anymore! They should play that song at the beginning of the game; I feel it would be quite fitting.

I can't wait!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Enjoy the ride my friend -- your club has looked good so far. :D

You are absolutely my favorite da bears poster -- intelligent and full of class and character.

However, your club has a hill they have to climb, a hurdle they have to jump, a ghost they have to Exorcise, a monkey they have to get off their back...

Let's see???? that is 4 correct? and of course the answer to achieving all three comes down to facing and slaying a dragon who wears the #4 -- something they have not yet achieved. :tables:

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

lol, your a funny man

miskito

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
Let's see???? that is 4 correct? and of course the answer to achieving all three comes down to facing and slaying a dragon who wears the #4 -- something they have not yet achieved. :tables:

Stretchin' it a bit, eh, Bruce. lol. Do you really want me to give you 18 reasons the Bears will beat the Packers?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
The bears are 8-3 but still haven't beat a depleted Packer team yet, so be careful about the "balance of power" shift bu11shit.

Phil...if you want to go all-time I think 12 world championships trumps 9. 3 Super Bowls tops 1.

Hey DePack - you forgot to mention to "our friend, PHIL" the amazing repeat performance in the Sixties by Vince Lombardi - doing what I think has only been done by GREEN BAY - and that's to win three Top Championships in-a-row... Lombardi did it in '65, '66, & '67 -- Papa Bear NEVER pulled that off and he was around an amazingly long time - so watching ol' Vince do it, once again, to the Bears... just as Curly Lambeau had done, back in the day (1929, 1930 & 1931)..

Well, you know that had to hurt....
:beer:

The Bears may be ahead on certain stats and we may be ahead on certain Championships - but let's all remember that without the SOLID friendship of Curly Lambeau & George "Papa Bear" Halas as the years rolled by... neither franchise would have survived. All you have to do is read the History of the Green Bay Packers - and you'll see just how many times those two gents bailed each other out respectively -- from bankruptcy. I haven't looked to see if the Bears have enough pride to print such history on their web site....

I luv to shout.. "da Bears still suck" .... or.... "After further review.."

But I don't HATE the Chicago Bears... not like I do the Vikings.

Certainly, we have several classy Vikings fans here on this Forum...
It's those "other" Vikings fans... you guys know who I mean....
Never have I seen a Team work so hard to emulate the Jerry Jones Cowboys.
Why would anyone want to emulate that sucker.....?

Ya know........ One wonders how things would have worked out ...had Mike Holmgren chosen to stay in Green Bay... instead of the ol' cut-and-run.. I know for a fact we would have been right back in '99, and certainly 2003 would have been waaaay different. Oh well....

Good posts, Bruce - thanks... we ALL needed that.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Border battles are great and your most heated rivalry is often dictated by geography.

Having said that -- the Vikings have to win a big one before they truely deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with the Packers 12 World Championships or da bears with their 8 opr 9 depending how you count them. No other clubs can make that claim, and the Vikings with their New Orleans like goose egg are still a bunch of wannabees running behind saying "look at me, look at me."

IPBprez said:
DePack said:

Hey DePack - you forgot to mention to "our friend, PHIL" the amazing repeat performance in the Sixties by Vince Lombardi - doing what I think has only been done by GREEN BAY - and that's to win three Top Championships in-a-row... Lombardi did it in '65, '66, & '67 -- Papa Bear NEVER pulled that off and he was around an amazingly long time - so watching ol' Vince do it, once again, to the Bears... just as Curly Lambeau had done, back in the day (1929, 1930 & 1931)..

Well, you know that had to hurt....
:beer:

The Bears may be ahead on certain stats and we may be ahead on certain Championships - but let's all remember that without the SOLID friendship of Curly Lambeau & George "Papa Bear" Halas as the years rolled by... neither franchise would have survived. All you have to do is read the History of the Green Bay Packers - and you'll see just how many times those two gents bailed each other out respectively -- from bankruptcy. I haven't looked to see if the Bears have enough pride to print such history on their web site....

I luv to shout.. "da Bears still suck" .... or.... "After further review.."

But I don't HATE the Chicago Bears... not like I do the Vikings.

Certainly, we have several classy Vikings fans here on this Forum...
It's those "other" Vikings fans... you guys know who I mean....
Never have I seen a Team work so hard to emulate the Jerry Jones Cowboys.
Why would anyone want to emulate that sucker.....?

Ya know........ One wonders how things would have worked out ...had Mike Holmgren chosen to stay in Green Bay... instead of the ol' cut-and-run.. I know for a fact we would have been right back in '99, and certainly 2003 would have been waaaay different. Oh well....

Good posts, Bruce - thanks... we ALL needed that.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
Border battles are great and your most heated rivalry is often dictated by geography.

Having said that -- the Vikings have to win a big one before they truely deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with the Packers 12 World Championships or da bears with their 8 opr 9 depending how you count them. No other clubs can make that claim, and the Vikings with their New Orleans like goose egg are still a bunch of wannabees running behind saying "look at me, look at me."

Well, I think there's less of a reason to hate the Vikings now that Randy Moss is gone but they beat us twice this year which really stings.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rabidgopher04 said:
Bruce said:

Well, I think there's less of a reason to hate the Vikings now that Randy Moss is gone but they beat us twice this year which really stings.

Yes, losing both of those winnable games on last second FG prompted by 2nd half collapses does sting, but get ahold of yourself man IT IS da bears/PACKERS WEEK!!! If you love NFL football, you have gotta love this week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts