Speaking of da bears: Halas may be papa, but Brett is daddy.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Speaking of da bears: Halas may be papa, but Brett is da

Bruce said:
Border battles are great and your most heated rivalry is often dictated by geography.

Having said that -- the Vikings have to win a big one before they truely deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with the Packers 12 World Championships or da bears with their 8 opr 9 depending how you count them. No other clubs can make that claim, and the Vikings with their New Orleans like goose egg are still a bunch of wannabees running behind saying "look at me, look at me."

IPBprez said:
DePack said:
The bears are 8-3 but still haven't beat a depleted Packer team yet, so be careful about the "balance of power" shift bu11shit.

Phil...if you want to go all-time I think 12 world championships trumps 9. 3 Super Bowls tops 1.

One last thing. What is the bears #1 goal this year and every year? To win the George Halas Trophy? Nah....they want a piece of the great Green Bay tradition in there trophy case. They ALL play for the Lombardi Trophy.......ALWAYS remember that!

Hey DePack - you forgot to mention to "our friend, PHIL" the amazing repeat performance in the Sixties by Vince Lombardi - doing what I think has only been done by GREEN BAY - and that's to win three Top Championships in-a-row... Lombardi did it in '65, '66, & '67 -- Papa Bear NEVER pulled that off and he was around an amazingly long time - so watching ol' Vince do it, once again, to the Bears... just as Curly Lambeau had done, back in the day (1929, 1930 & 1931)..

Well, you know that had to hurt....
:beer:

The Bears may be ahead on certain stats and we may be ahead on certain Championships - but let's all remember that without the SOLID friendship of Curly Lambeau & George "Papa Bear" Halas as the years rolled by... neither franchise would have survived. All you have to do is read the History of the Green Bay Packers - and you'll see just how many times those two gents bailed each other out respectively -- from bankruptcy. I haven't looked to see if the Bears have enough pride to print such history on their web site....

I luv to shout.. "da Bears still suck" .... or.... "After further review.."

But I don't HATE the Chicago Bears... not like I do the Vikings.

Certainly, we have several classy Vikings fans here on this Forum...
It's those "other" Vikings fans... you guys know who I mean....
Never have I seen a Team work so hard to emulate the Jerry Jones Cowboys.
Why would anyone want to emulate that sucker.....?

Ya know........ One wonders how things would have worked out ...had Mike Holmgren chosen to stay in Green Bay... instead of the ol' cut-and-run.. I know for a fact we would have been right back in '99, and certainly 2003 would have been waaaay different. Oh well....

Good posts, Bruce - thanks... we ALL needed that.
Look at me, look at me!!! Go Pack! Beat the cubbies!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
The bears are 8-3 but still haven't beat a depleted Packer team yet, so be careful about the "balance of power" shift bu11shit.

Phil...if you want to go all-time I think 12 world championships trumps 9. 3 Super Bowls tops 1.

One last thing. What is the bears #1 goal this year and every year? To win the George Halas Trophy? Nah....they want a piece of the great Green Bay tradition in there trophy case. They ALL play for the Lombardi Trophy.......ALWAYS remember that!

I said it before and I will say it again. The Super Bowl trophy was named after Lombardi because he died. Halas won more games, won more titles and was the founder of the NFL.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
Border battles are great and your most heated rivalry is often dictated by geography.

Having said that -- the Vikings have to win a big one before they truely deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with the Packers 12 World Championships or da bears with their 8 opr 9 depending how you count them. No other clubs can make that claim, and the Vikings with their New Orleans like goose egg are still a bunch of wannabees running behind saying "look at me, look at me."

Why would you NOT count all 9 of the Bears titles?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:

i think at least one should be taken away just for this.

please watch this

everybody needs to see that...its fantastic in every way.

Hahahahaaaa... I tried soooooo hard to forget that! Thanks a lot man. I thought that the whole cheese head thing was pretty embarrassing but this? Aaahhhhhgggg... :(

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:

please watch this

Now That is worth at least 2 titles! :wink: And one for the background with the pink stars and the yellow hammers and sickels :eek: :eek: :lol:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bavpb said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:

please watch this

Now That is worth at least 2 titles! :wink: And one for the background with the pink stars and the yellow hammers and sickels :eek: :eek: :lol:

i liked when Mike's moves were so hot his shoes started smokin'

that video made my week.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philtration said:
DePack said:

I said it before and I will say it again. The Super Bowl trophy was named after Lombardi because he died. Halas won more games, won more titles and was the founder of the NFL.

Here's the historical - for that Decade ------- NFL History

Interesting that the NFL doesn't spend time including more of what really happens in each of the Decades, since the inception. Notice how many times ol' Papa Bear retires and comes back... heheh - also how much of the winning tradition by the Packers gets lost in the write-up..... Not to mention many other Teams. I'd have to keep reading, but in this particular Decade, there's no discussion of Art Modell's creative idea to implement TV revenue sharing equally among all NFL Teams... so, that must have come later. Basically, without Vince Lombardi, and the consistent winning tradition of the Packers, along with the merging of the AFL/NFL... (notice how they leave out Al Davis' part in all of the legal fighting between these two franchise groups) ....which was fought over for almost five years...all told...the NFL wouldn't be what it is today.

Anyone got an idea of what the SuperBowl trophy would have been called had Lombardi lived?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philtration said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:

please watch this

Hahahahaaaa... I tried soooooo hard to forget that! Thanks a lot man. I thought that the whole cheese head thing was pretty embarrassing but this? Aaahhhhhgggg... :(

I think we oughta email Terry Bradshaw and have them play that on NFLonFOX, this Sunday... that'd be great.... now we know where the Bears came up with the SB shuffle.....LOL

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let me get this straight Phil.......HALAS IS STILL ALIVE? I heard he was spotted bowling with Elvis somewhere in North Dakota!

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe the NFL gives out a George Halas award but nobody knows what it's for------------runner up perhaps.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It goes to the NFC Champion, I believe. Kind of like "your good.....but not quite the best". "First you must prove you are worthy of winning the Halas before we let you even THINK about playing for the Lombardi."

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
It goes to the NFC Champion, I believe. Kind of like "your good.....but not quite the best". "First you must prove you are worthy of winning the Halas before we let you even THINK about playing for the Lombardi."
Good one dePack!

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In Bears fans minds they won like 3 or 4 LOMBARDI trophies because that 85 team was so great. At least in 97 we got to defend our title

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
Let me get this straight Phil.......HALAS IS STILL ALIVE? I heard he was spotted bowling with Elvis somewhere in North Dakota!
Nooooo... Halas died in 1983. That was long after Vince was gone. I love Vince but if Halas had died in 1970 right after the NFL-AFL merger do you really believe that the trophy would not be called the Halas trophy? Come on man. They named the trophy after him just 7 days after he died. Look it up. :roll:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPBprez said:
Philtration said:
DePack said:

Here's the historical - for that Decade ------- NFL History

Interesting that the NFL doesn't spend time including more of what really happens in each of the Decades, since the inception. Notice how many times ol' Papa Bear retires and comes back... heheh - also how much of the winning tradition by the Packers gets lost in the write-up..... Not to mention many other Teams. I'd have to keep reading, but in this particular Decade, there's no discussion of Art Modell's creative idea to implement TV revenue sharing equally among all NFL Teams... so, that must have come later. Basically, without Vince Lombardi, and the consistent winning tradition of the Packers, along with the merging of the AFL/NFL... (notice how they leave out Al Davis' part in all of the legal fighting between these two franchise groups) ....which was fought over for almost five years...all told...the NFL wouldn't be what it is today.

Anyone got an idea of what the SuperBowl trophy would have been called had Lombardi lived?

Halas retiring and coming back and still winning over 300 games and 6 titles is even more incredible than if he had stayed for 50 straight years. How many titles did Vince win in Washington? They went 7-5-2 in 1969.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wasn't it Mara who came up with the equal TV money? I thought I saw that written about him in the wake of his death.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JD4shizzle said:
Wasn't it Mara who came up with the equal TV money? I thought I saw that written about him in the wake of his death.

I'd like to see that Article - as far as I've ever heard, it was the Cleveland Owner who put that out there.. and is still given credit for it today. I'll lookk for the article which eludes to Jerry Jones and a few other Owners considering the tactic of "getting rid" of the revenue sharing option, leaving Teams to fend for themselves. If it happens? You can bet teams like the Bengals, Titans, Bucs and the PACKERS.. would all fade off into the sunset. Oh the Green Bay Org would hang around for a time, but eventually, it would fail.... WHY? Because once the sharing is gone, the richer teams can bribe their way to being the only games anyone would get to see on TV to begin with... You can see where that leads. Of all the small market teams, the Pack would probably outlast just all others, but it would just never last.

How about lending a hand on this note - see if anyone can find those articles....(?)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philtration said:
DePack said:
Nooooo... Halas died in 1983. That was long after Vince was gone. I love Vince but if Halas had died in 1970 right after the NFL-AFL merger do you really believe that the trophy would not be called the Halas trophy? Come on man. They named the trophy after him just 7 days after he died. Look it up. :roll:

First off, PHIL - DePack was (ahem) joking... it wasn't literal.
Number two - I think I already postd the link to where the NFL discusses when they renamed the Trophy. Truth is, if Chuck Noll had died around that time...in fact anyone of the HC's or GM's ..maybe.. or even a very famous player, even.... They had been considering the renaming option for over a year... It wasn't, as you say, a sudden event..Lombardi just (sorry) fell into it. Moot point now, don't ya think?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPBprez said:
JD4shizzle said:

I'd like to see that Article - as far as I've ever heard, it was the Cleveland Owner who put that out there.. and is still given credit for it today. I'll lookk for the article which eludes to Jerry Jones and a few other Owners considering the tactic of "getting rid" of the revenue sharing option, leaving Teams to fend for themselves. If it happens? You can bet teams like the Bengals, Titans, Bucs and the PACKERS.. would all fade off into the sunset. Oh the Green Bay Org would hang around for a time, but eventually, it would fail.... WHY? Because once the sharing is gone, the richer teams can bribe their way to being the only games anyone would get to see on TV to begin with... You can see where that leads. Of all the small market teams, the Pack would probably outlast just all others, but it would just never last.

How about lending a hand on this note - see if anyone can find those articles....(?)

It very well could have been Modell. I wouldn't have had any idea who's idea it was if not for Mara passing recently, and the the topic being brought up. Perhaps Mara may have been commended for being a strong supporter of the idea, as it hurt his own big market team more than it helped it, but he had the best interests of the league in mind.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPBprez said:
Philtration said:
DePack said:

First off, PHIL - DePack was (ahem) joking... it wasn't literal.
Number two - I think I already postd the link to where the NFL discusses when they renamed the Trophy. Truth is, if Chuck Noll had died around that time...in fact anyone of the HC's or GM's ..maybe.. or even a very famous player, even.... They had been considering the renaming option for over a year... It wasn't, as you say, a sudden event..Lombardi just (sorry) fell into it. Moot point now, don't ya think?

Yes I get it. You know.... it does not matter who the trophy is named after. All that matters is who wins it.

Members online

Latest posts