Sources: T.J. Houshmandzadeh gone?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5529209"]Seattle Seahawks to cut or trade T.J. Houshmandzadeh, start Mike Williams - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5511735@@AMEPARAM@@5511735[/ame]

Pending moves at the receiver position in Seattle will create reverbations around the NFL.

The Seattle Seahawks will cut ties with T.J. Houshmandzadeh by trading or releasing him, according to two league sources, and it will promote former Detroit first-round draft pick Mike Williams into its starting lineup for a Sept. 12 game against San Francisco.
The 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh caught 79 passes last season and will be a bargain for another team this season.
His Seahawks contract includes offset language that makes Seattle liable to pay Houshmanzadeh whatever his new team doesn't.
So if Houshmanzadeh were to sign a veteran minimum deal of $850,000, the Seahawks would be liable for the remaining $6.15 million balance.
Seattle signed Houshmanzadeh to a five-year, $40 million contract last offseason, and Seattle will wind up having paid him $15 million for his one season with the Seahawks.

Meanwhile, the 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh's departure means that Williams' story becomes one of the best and unlikeliest of the summer.
He has gone from a player that nobody wanted to a wide receiver that now will start with the Seahawks under his former college head coach Pete Carroll.
Williams will start likely opposite Deion Branch, with Deon Butler and Golden Tate as reserves.
And the Seahawks moves are not done. They also are likely to pursue quarterback Patrick Ramsey, whom New Orleans released Friday. If Seattle landed him, it likely would have to get rid of another quarterback.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I caught this. I think it would be ironic if Minnesota picked him up, being as how he didn't want to go there last season. Plus, he's an upgrade over Javon Walker and helps bolster their receiving corps.

Plus he's a ******, so he's right up their alley.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I let my 10 year old do a fantasy team and TJ is on his team. He was thinking of starting him next week. I'll have to see who else he has.

Members online

Latest posts