Sorry you guys got screwed :(

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate bad officiating, doubly so when it determines the outcome of a game. You wuz robbed, and I hope you do well enough over the course of the season where this doesn't matter.:mad:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Thanks for logging in and posting. Man, right now, I am not sure if I like the NFL any more...

It's not just a bad call or two- that's part of the game. But, is this game broken?

Reaction score
This was an absolutely horribly officiated game. So many pathetically bad calls/non-calls.

Just a few!

1. Clay Mathews TACKLED by Seattle Offensive lineman and NO CALL
2. Pass interference call on Seattle DB against Finley. Bad call, just a good defensive play.
3. Roughing the passer call on Walden. Just ridiculous. That took away a interception in great field position. Probably get at least a FG after pick!
4. Pass interference call on Shields. Are you kidding me? Rice was mauling Shields. Shields actually had great position on that play and HE was interfered with!
5. Pass interference on Tate on last play was so blatant it HAD to be called!
6. No need to even discuss the terrible TD call. Just a horrible call!

Goodell better do the right thing and get the REAL refs back this week!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"2. Pass interference call on Seattle DB against Finley. Bad call, just a good defensive play." I think the d back actually hit Finley just before the ball hit. Very close, but a decent call in slo-mo. The rest I agree with 100%.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I love this tweet from Worthy. That last photo in the lower right corner is telling, isn't it?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I hate bad officiating, doubly so when it determines the outcome of a game. You wuz robbed, and I hope you do well enough over the course of the season where this doesn't matter.:mad:
After the fateful call last night, I received digs from a couple of Bears fans on facebook. Nice to see that there are fans of other teams that do in fact have class. Thanks for the post!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the fateful call last night, I received digs from a couple of Bears fans on facebook. Nice to see that there are fans of other teams that do in fact have class. Thanks for the post!

It says a lot when fans from teams like the Bears are siding with the Packers. I think it is because they see this is something that is going to effect every team in the league. Last night it cost the Packers the win, but next week it might be their team that gets handed a defeat by the bad officiating.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
It says a lot when fans from teams like the Bears are siding with the Packers. I think it is because they see this is something that is going to effect every team in the league. Last night it cost the Packers the win, but next week it might be their team that gets handed a defeat by the bad officiating.
Good point, Kitten. When I got the snarky remarks, I just rolled my eyes and thought, "Nice representation of Bears fans". Sarcastically, of course. I'm sure there are some Bears fans that aren't ****** bage.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I always wondered why whenever someone got screwed, people say they got 'rogered' ... now, with Goodell's picture alongside the definition of "rogered" it's all very clear to me now. :)

Ken Sherwin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to say but I guess we have to admit that whatever happens to the game from here on is what is to be expected. First they determined the outcome of a game. Second the players now know that they can get away with almost anything and not get a penelty. Just how long will it be before there ia a real horrible, crippling injury or even a death. G-d damn rotten SCABS. Nfl isn't any better. Get this thing fixed. NOW.

Ken Sherwin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's about time that as fans and paying to see the NFL now on Thursday games that we take back some control of this thing. I for one am not going to watch or buy anymore Jerseys of collectables with an NFL logo on it. Love to see every stadium empty this week.

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems I can't post new threads here becuase I just registered, and this seemed like the best one to throw my 2 cents on. I feel like I have some things to say here, so hopefully this doesnt get buried.

First of all let me say I'm a Seahawks fan, but I'm not here to troll/gloat/debate etc.. I'm not even going to lie and pretend that I'm not happy my team came out on the positive end of a bad call. In an ideal world there would be no bad calls to even worry about but that's just not the case, no matter the expertise of the officiating.

The initial call on the field should have probably been INT. If it was called an INT on the field, I think we all move on without all this debate. However, for whatever reason, whatever the official saw when the players came down he called TD, and unfortuantely for the Packers and you fans, in the mess of that play, as much as it looks more like an INT there really isn't a way to say with 100% conclusiveness needed to overturn it. There is also the obvious shove by Tate, that while technically should be a penalty, happens fairly often on these last second heaves and isn't called (no justification, just the way they are sometimes).

All this will be debated and argued over and over again, and like I said, I'm not here to debate.

What I am here to do is say that I definitely have a lot of empathy for the way you must be feeling as fans right now. Let's face it, taking a loss in this game is hard enough without the controversy, regardless of whether or not your team played well, no matter how many ways you try to justify it. We as fans all feel like we have this "power" in our brains to almost will our teams to improve by analyzing the flaws and what we feel went wrong. But then, you have a game like this that is taken out of anyone's hands and it's frustrating because you feel like you did what you needed to do.

You're pissed I'm sure but if you weren't, there'd be something wrong. But before you think that everyone here in seattle is giggling at your plight and dancing around celebrating a glorious victory, that's not the case. Are we happy we came out on the side we did in a poorly called game? Sure we are. I'm not going to lie about that to spare your feelings. You guys are Packers fans, with a history and legacy so foreign to we Seahawks fans that we couldn't even begin to identify wiht that sort of football history. The histories of our two teams really couldn't be much more different.

That being said there are likely no other teams and fan bases in the NFL capable of more empathy or understanding for what you're feeling right now than the Seahawks and the 12th man.

For decades this team floundered and struggled. We had the occassional good season here or there but mostly it's a history of losses, bad seasons, early draft picks that turned into busts, poor owners, poor coaching, etc. I realize the Packers had their stretch of disappointing years for a long time but at least there was alwasy a rich history and legacy to serve as a backbone through the tough times. Hawks fans? We never had that. We've always been that expansion team tucked up in Alaska.

Then in 2005 we had a great season and went to the superbowl. The euphoria after so many years of futility was immeasurable. Watching the Seahawks dominate the Panthers in the NFC championship was incredible. I remember once the game was over walking out into our front yard and hearing drunken bastards yelling "SUPERBOWLLLL!" as loud as they could with no sense of cadence or harmony, and it didn't matter. After so many years of being a complete afterthought on the NFL schedule, we had finally reached a game that I think many fans thought perhaps they would never see.

I dont really want to go into the details about what happened in that game. I'm not going to tell you Seattle should have won, or that they were the better team. I'm not saying the refs gave that game away or even compare it to this past monday. But I bring it up because from on respectful fan of the game to others, I think it's just important for you all to know that there probably isn't a fan base out there that could be more empathetic to how you are feeling now than Seahawks fans. In our team's biggest game ever, on the biggest stage with the world watching, we have to settle with never knowing how that game could have gone without the horrible calls. I don't know if we would have won, but that's part of the problem - we'll simply never know. In our team's greatest season, the refs removed any chance for us to know if we could have done it. Every Seahawks fan lives with this empty, illness-inducing knot on their stomach that will never go away of never ever knowing what that final score could have been. Even the refs coming out years later to admit they blew calls didn't make it better whatsoever.

Not sure if that helps at all but out of any team this could have happened against, it happened to be against the one team in the league who's fans t probably get what you're feeling more than any other.

On the bright side let me tell you that the Packers look like the best team in your division and I really have no doubts that they will win it and be in the playoffs. Once that happens all bets are off. As much as I'll admit that I'm glad we came out with the W on monday, I sincerely hope the loss for the Pack doesn't alter their playoff chances. The Lions D is a wreck, Cutler will sabotage any chances the Bears have, and the Vikings just aren't there yet despite the surprising upset of the 49ers. You gusy are the most complete team and you should be fine.

Personally I would love it if the Seahawks made it into the playoffs and we got the chance to have a fairly called game by the real refs so we can all sit back and watch a great game, without fans on either side having to watch the 4th quarter expire and leaving that lingering, sickly knot in their stomachs.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thx for the post Hawknballs. I'm sure there are plenty of Seahawks fans out there who know it was a bad call. 55% polled thought so is what I heard. One thing that I along with many Packers fans find really cheap and upsetting about Seattle's response to the outcome is the behavior of your head coach. Rather than ra-ra-ing and insisting without shame that it was a good call and the right call, he could have done things a lot different.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems I can't post new threads here becuase I just registered, and this seemed like the best one to throw my 2 cents on. I feel like I have some things to say here, so hopefully this doesnt get buried.

First of all let me say I'm a Seahawks fan, but I'm not here to troll/gloat/debate etc.. I'm not even going to lie and pretend that I'm not happy my team came out on the positive end of a bad call. In an ideal world there would be no bad calls to even worry about but that's just not the case, no matter the expertise of the officiating.

The initial call on the field should have probably been INT. If it was called an INT on the field, I think we all move on without all this debate. However, for whatever reason, whatever the official saw when the players came down he called TD, and unfortuantely for the Packers and you fans, in the mess of that play, as much as it looks more like an INT there really isn't a way to say with 100% conclusiveness needed to overturn it. There is also the obvious shove by Tate, that while technically should be a penalty, happens fairly often on these last second heaves and isn't called (no justification, just the way they are sometimes).

All this will be debated and argued over and over again, and like I said, I'm not here to debate.

What I am here to do is say that I definitely have a lot of empathy for the way you must be feeling as fans right now. Let's face it, taking a loss in this game is hard enough without the controversy, regardless of whether or not your team played well, no matter how many ways you try to justify it. We as fans all feel like we have this "power" in our brains to almost will our teams to improve by analyzing the flaws and what we feel went wrong. But then, you have a game like this that is taken out of anyone's hands and it's frustrating because you feel like you did what you needed to do.

You're pissed I'm sure but if you weren't, there'd be something wrong. But before you think that everyone here in seattle is giggling at your plight and dancing around celebrating a glorious victory, that's not the case. Are we happy we came out on the side we did in a poorly called game? Sure we are. I'm not going to lie about that to spare your feelings. You guys are Packers fans, with a history and legacy so foreign to we Seahawks fans that we couldn't even begin to identify wiht that sort of football history. The histories of our two teams really couldn't be much more different.

That being said there are likely no other teams and fan bases in the NFL capable of more empathy or understanding for what you're feeling right now than the Seahawks and the 12th man.

For decades this team floundered and struggled. We had the occassional good season here or there but mostly it's a history of losses, bad seasons, early draft picks that turned into busts, poor owners, poor coaching, etc. I realize the Packers had their stretch of disappointing years for a long time but at least there was alwasy a rich history and legacy to serve as a backbone through the tough times. Hawks fans? We never had that. We've always been that expansion team tucked up in Alaska.

Then in 2005 we had a great season and went to the superbowl. The euphoria after so many years of futility was immeasurable. Watching the Seahawks dominate the Panthers in the NFC championship was incredible. I remember once the game was over walking out into our front yard and hearing drunken bastards yelling "SUPERBOWLLLL!" as loud as they could with no sense of cadence or harmony, and it didn't matter. After so many years of being a complete afterthought on the NFL schedule, we had finally reached a game that I think many fans thought perhaps they would never see.

I dont really want to go into the details about what happened in that game. I'm not going to tell you Seattle should have won, or that they were the better team. I'm not saying the refs gave that game away or even compare it to this past monday. But I bring it up because from on respectful fan of the game to others, I think it's just important for you all to know that there probably isn't a fan base out there that could be more empathetic to how you are feeling now than Seahawks fans. In our team's biggest game ever, on the biggest stage with the world watching, we have to settle with never knowing how that game could have gone without the horrible calls. I don't know if we would have won, but that's part of the problem - we'll simply never know. In our team's greatest season, the refs removed any chance for us to know if we could have done it. Every Seahawks fan lives with this empty, illness-inducing knot on their stomach that will never go away of never ever knowing what that final score could have been. Even the refs coming out years later to admit they blew calls didn't make it better whatsoever.

Not sure if that helps at all but out of any team this could have happened against, it happened to be against the one team in the league who's fans t probably get what you're feeling more than any other.

On the bright side let me tell you that the Packers look like the best team in your division and I really have no doubts that they will win it and be in the playoffs. Once that happens all bets are off. As much as I'll admit that I'm glad we came out with the W on monday, I sincerely hope the loss for the Pack doesn't alter their playoff chances. The Lions D is a wreck, Cutler will sabotage any chances the Bears have, and the Vikings just aren't there yet despite the surprising upset of the 49ers. You gusy are the most complete team and you should be fine.

Personally I would love it if the Seahawks made it into the playoffs and we got the chance to have a fairly called game by the real refs so we can all sit back and watch a great game, without fans on either side having to watch the 4th quarter expire and leaving that lingering, sickly knot in their stomachs.

This is a awesome post

ty!

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Pete Carroll's defense, he has even less of a look at the play immediately after it's happening than the fans, the media, or so many other people. We as fans watching the game on TV saw the replay probably dozens of times if not more before Pete was able to see it anywhere but a few times on the stadium. So while Pete was out there on the field celebrating, he also only knows that the refs called a TD and then upheld it. It looks much worse than what it actually is.

As much as I completely agree that the call shouldn't have been a TD, once it was called a TD I also don't see how it can be overturned becuase there just isn't any way to get the "100% conclusive evidence" needed to do so, which is unfortunate for the Pack. If you listen to interviews with Pete, he's very careful not to say he thinks Tate caught the ball aside from saying that's what they were told by the refs.

The media is now going after Pete, almost like he thinks he or the Seahawks owe anyone an apology, but the Seahawks didn't do anything wrong. The refs blew it. That's why i continually use the word "empathy". I'm sure as fans you can understand not wanting your coach to give in and be apologetic rather than empathetic (which he has stated to be) for actions and decisions that were in no way his decision to make.

Pete still has a team to motivate and coach, and I think it's understandable that taking an apologetic "we don't deserve this " approach isn't the best way to move on and get the team ready for the next game, the NFL is too difficult. That would be the same as if your coach spent the next few days dwelling on this game and not just turning around and getting the team ready to kick the crap out of the Saints.

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say though that some people just dont' like Pete's style and never will, this situation or any other. I personally don't mind it, but I'm a hard core fan that goes to multiple training camps and sees the way that his demeanor motivates and rubs off on a team full of young players and I can understand how it works for him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Pete also cant bad mouth the refs, and is he really going to say..We got lucky? Nope he is sticking by what wont get him fined.

The only thing I didnt like about Pete during that is the way he sat next to the ref as he was announcing it..I have never seen another coach do that

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good posting hawknballs with one exception:
As much as I completely agree that the call shouldn't have been a TD, once it was called a TD I also don't see how it can be overturned becuase there just isn't any way to get the "100% conclusive evidence" needed to do so...
The reason for the huge amount of outcry and tumult is precisely because it is/was obvious on the replay it was an INT, not a catch. If there was any question regarding this, 98% of the fans commenting on this wouldn't be outraged at the call. Think about it: People nationwide aren't outraged because they were on the field and saw it was an INT; they're outraged because it was obvious on TV and in spite of that, it wasn't reversed. Go back and look at the replays. It's OBVIOUS: The only thing Tate "caught" was Jennings who had control of the ball the entire time. Look at the pictures in post #7 above.

As Aaron Rodgers has said, the officials didn't even talk to each other after the play. The two officials in the EZ never reconciled their opposite calls. After all the too-long conferences these incompetents have held this season they didn't even discuss it for 30 seconds, they just let it go to replay. And that was the biggest injustice: Unless you are a Seahawks fan, even a reasonable one like yourself, it's just damn obvious. I heard John Lynch talk about it on the radio today. Lynch has no reason whatever to favor the Packers. Yet he said he went to bed angry about that call Monday night. The outrage is directly proportional to how obviously wrong the call was on replay.

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well like I said I didn't come here to debate it. Especially since there's no way for me to conceivably look at the situation through anything but my fan-eyes, I have no problem admitting that. The only thing I know is that the language about overturning calls is very clear meaning that it has to be 100% certain to overturn it. But I didn't come here to argue about it or inspire any further ill will. Mainly just wanted Packers fans to know that legitimately educated, passionate Seahawks fans are empathetic about this game. We know all too well what it's like to have that sick feeling in your guts about results of a game being completely out of the hand of the teams putting their butts on the line to play the game. Nothing fixes that, lets just hope that the result doesn't end up keeping the Packers from the playoffs or anything. If there's any justice out there, the end of the season will see the seeding unaffected by this game. I think that's something we can all agree on.

ARod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really do appreciate your post, it was great! I've never been in the position where I was mad at the hawks over this - you can't blame them for the terrible officiating.

That being said, you keep saying you don't want to debate the call, but you've laid out your position on it twice now with no provocation. At least, see the conflict there...

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My position is that it should have been called an INT. I felt it was initially my responsibility to point that out to give any credit to my post as it would inevitably come up. I only responded with my opinion a second time because someone pointed it out.

However I also don't feel like it was overturnable after it was called a TD, only becuase of the NFL's rules that require indisputable evidence. There are simply too many bodies, arms, and hands in there to make a 100% indisputable call to overturn it, despite what it looks like. I've already stated it looks like an INT, nevermind the obvious missed pass interference. I wouldn't be posting on a thread called "Sorry you got screwed" if I didn't think you got screwed. That being said the whole game was plagued by bad calls.

I've made it quite clear that there's no objective and unbiased way for me to look at it. I'm a fan of one team, on another team's board trying to spread a little empathy rather than venom. I'm not going to hide my opinions becuase as fans of one of if not the most storied franchises in the NFL. I figured i wouldn't have to do that. I repsect everything about the Packers, their organization, and their fans.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The bottom line is the proof that it was "overturnable" is the near unanimous agreement by all but a portion of the Seahawks' fan base and team that it was an INT. If that weren't obvious from the video, how can the unanimity of opinion by nearly all non-Packers fans and non-Seahawks fans be explained? All any of them (and us) have to go by is the video. The replay ref has all the feeds from the TV cameras. Again, look at the pictures on post #7. It is indisputable. IMO it's a bit humorous you readily admit it was an INT but question the clarity of the evidence from which you formed your opinion even as you admit your natural and understandable bias.

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well. sorry my post is 'humorous' to you.

I wish the fans and the packers a good remainder of the season, and sincerely hope this doesn't ultimately affect their playoff chances. I don't believe it will becuase I believe they win the division regardless.

Members online

Latest posts