Sorry TT

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Net's negative and for some reasons, however Packers are improving, therefore, I am hopeful. The home game against Seattle was definately a step in the right direction.

Before preseason, I feared out difficult schedule, now I'm glad that we have it to really test our team. Better competition makes our team better, and from what I see, these guys are ready to grow into it.

I'll remain hopeful.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not quite.

He wasn't the GM, and he wasn't involved in Free Agency acquisitions.

Interesting, eh?

He still isn't involved in free agency acquisitions.

The book on Ted in the NFL is that he's a decent collector of rookie talent who doesn't have what it takes to put a team over the top.

(Seattle didn't start competing for championships until they added some key FA acquisitions, which was Holgren's doing.) :thumbsup:
Yes.......but the team had a solid foundation built when Holmgren added FA's. Ted has been building that foundation, and to me at least it's starting to look pretty good. Adding a high price FA to a team thats not really ready to compete at a high level is a waste of money in my opinion. You get a solid team built, THEN add what might be a missing piece to put you over the top.
As far as Moss, it looks like James Jones might turn into a pretty good WR. And he so far seems to have alot of up sides. He's young, and you can see he will give 100% to the team. Moss is getting old, and we all know his past mental problems.
I know it's still early, but i myself am excited about this season!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net wrote:

Few folks apparently saw both starting tackles and Matt Hasselbeck not playing, plus these two teams play again for real in a few weeks.

Ah, I don't see Seattle on our schedule anywhere. You must be looking at last years schedule.

I am not so sure that the two tackles could have done much about Atari flying around out there. I KNOW that Hasslebeck, being the evasive butterfly he is probably enjoyed the night off.

In fact I see only elusive QB's with wheels LIKE the QB Seattle played having the best chance of any success against us.

A little news flash but this is not ONE GAME that the defense has performed like this. They have been after EVERYBODY ever since they moved Jenkins last year and got on a roll.

Even though we have chased the QB out of town several times consecutively now I keep hearing "Oh well that was because....", or, "well, they weren't that good" or, WHATEVER.

When they have done this like six games in a row now it's beyond the old cliche' of "well it's just one game".

Looks kinda like a TREND to me. A rather pleasent one too I may add.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net wrote:

Few folks apparently saw both starting tackles and Matt Hasselbeck not playing, plus these two teams play again for real in a few weeks.

Ah, I don't see Seattle on our schedule anywhere. You must be looking at last years schedule.

I am not so sure that the two tackles could have done much about Atari flying around out there. I KNOW that Hasslebeck, being the evasive butterfly he is probably enjoyed the night off.

In fact I see only elusive QB's with wheels LIKE the QB Seattle played having the best chance of any success against us.

A little news flash but this is not ONE GAME that the defense has performed like this. They have been after EVERYBODY ever since they moved Jenkins last year and got on a roll.

Even though we have chased the QB out of town several times consecutively now I keep hearing "Oh well that was because....", or, "well, they weren't that good" or, WHATEVER.

When they have done this like six games in a row now it's beyond the old cliche' of "well it's just one game".

Looks kinda like a TREND to me. A rather pleasent one too I may add.

Agreed. I was not sold on the defense at the end of last year because I thought the competition was poor in those last three games, but they really look improved this year.

But what was really promising about the Seattle game was how well the offense played, as well as the good kick returns by Blackmon. Those things had very little to do with Seattle not being at full strength on offense. And Mike Holmgren's teams generally play pretty hard in the preseason and win most of their games. It can't be denied that Holmgren's frustration was very real. I'm afraid that guy's going to have a heart attack on the sidelines one of these days.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
net said:
I must have missed the season....looks like we still have 2 pre-season, 16 regular season, plus 2-3 post-season games before we get to the Super Bowl. Sounds like some folks think the team is already there!

Looks to me like we still have among the youngest squads in the game, and that usually doesn't stack up very well against older, more established squads.

But, sorry, I guess I missed the August Super Bowl.

Give me a break dude. No one is celebrating a "super bowl" victory. We're excited because LOTS of progress was shown. That does not mean we're going to win the super bowl, but it does mean we're improving and some folks are stepping up. We still have a long ways to go, but it's a good couple of days to be a packer fan!!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

It's still a freakin' pre-season game. I can tell you in the 'bad old days' prior to Ron Wolf, the Packers used to look real good in the pre-season.
The thread starter implied that somehow after whipping Seattle everything was different. We'll see in December.

Thompson has replaced player "X" with player "Y". That is all that has happened at this point.

Progress is determined by besting last year's 8-8...achieved by beating one team with a winning record(the Bears) in a meaningless game.

I'm not going to grant Ted Thompson anything at this point.

What I see accomplished so far that is positive is the team is in better physical condition than the past, that is obvious. At this point, little else.

I don't see the problem in fans getting excited over a 48-13 thrashing of the Seahawks, especially since there were posts that were "borderline" panic but heavy criticism none the less just one week ago.

None the less if you can criticize in the pre season, you can certainly praise and that's simply what's going on. I agree that the Packers and fans shouldn't put a whole lot of stock into the pre season though but I also do think they look a lot better this year than they did last year so far.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I wish we could turn back time and put this kind of defence on the teams that lost to Vick and McNabb in playoff games. I can't ever forget how bad the Packers seem to have been over the years against the running QBs.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I wish we could turn back time and put this kind of defence on the teams that lost to Vick and McNabb in playoff games. I can't ever forget how bad the Packers seem to have been over the years against the running QBs.

Don't say that! You just brought up some memories I've been trying to bury for years. Now, I'm going to have those nightmares again. Thanks jdlax. No Christmas card for you.

Back to the original topic, I said this on another thread. I too owe TT an apology. I was one of the loudest people screaming for Randy Moss. I was hell of pissed when we didn't get him. However, I think in '07 we'll be fine without him. I can't wait for the season to start. Cullen Jenkins is going to cause some PAIN!

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jdlax said:

Don't say that! You just brought up some memories I've been trying to bury for years. Now, I'm going to have those nightmares again. Thanks jdlax. No Christmas card for you.

Back to the original topic, I said this on another thread. I too owe TT an apology. I was one of the loudest people screaming for Randy Moss. I was hell of pissed when we didn't get him. However, I think in '07 we'll be fine without him. I can't wait for the season to start. Cullen Jenkins is going to cause some PAIN!

I wanted Moss as well, but now I'm thinking we may have a special player in James Jones, and am glad we didn't trade the pick for Randy

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

I wanted Moss as well, but now I'm thinking we may have a special player in James Jones, and am glad we didn't trade the pick for Randy

I was 100% sure we were gettin Randy, and I was really excited about it, then I was pissed after NE got him.

But, as you said, we would have given up the pick we took JJ with. Damnedest thing about it, though is that we likely could have gotten him in the 4th.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not bragging but I was impressed early on with TT. Of course, it might have been because the drafting by MS was so lousy. In his favor also is the fact that he obviously listens more attentively to his scouts. It was often rumored that MS did not, even keeping them out of the war room. We are, IMO, on the long road back, not ready as yet to challenge NE or Indy, but much more competitive at most positions. We'll have poor games this year though I doubt there'll be as many as in the past two years. Here's hoping we look good againest Jax this week.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not bragging but I was impressed early on with TT. Of course, it might have been because the drafting by MS was so lousy. In his favor also is the fact that he obviously listens more attentively to his scouts. It was often rumored that MS did not, even keeping them out of the war room. We are, IMO, on the long road back, not ready as yet to challenge NE or Indy, but much more competitive at most positions. We'll have poor games this year though I doubt there'll be as many as in the past two years. Here's hoping we look good againest Jax this week.

like when MS drafted Carroll, Donnell Washington, Joey Thomas, and yes punter B.J. Sander in the third round

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jdlax said:

God, wasn't it just the f'ing worst though? Good coverage, good pressure, and at the last minute they slip away and pick up another backbreaking first down. I'd rather see the guys lose 38-10 then watch them lose by a few points after fruitlessly chasing around a running quarterback all game.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Net's negative and for some reasons, however Packers are improving, therefore, I am hopeful. The home game against Seattle was definately a step in the right direction.

Before preseason, I feared out difficult schedule, now I'm glad that we have it to really test our team. Better competition makes our team better, and from what I see, these guys are ready to grow into it.

I'll remain hopeful.

There's a difference between negative and sceptical. I wanted to remind people that the real deal starts in September. Especially in the Seattle game where the two teams meet again in a few weeks, neither team was willing to show much. The Packers did show enthusiasm and played better, especially on offense, but in the end it's a meaningless game statistically.

It helps the coaching staff see what they have, and that's about it.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

like when MS drafted Carroll, Donnell Washington, Joey Thomas, and yes punter B.J. Sander in the third round

This brings up a good point: what is the object of the draft? Though I liked Sherman as a coach, I won't defend his drafting, though he did bring in Barnett and a few others.

Thompson has hit the goldmine with Hawk, though few doubted that would happen. Rodgers might be coming around, Jones appears to be a find, maybe Jennings.

But what is always lost in the "Sherman drafted like an idiot" statement is the Packers were in the playoffs when he was GM and they haven't been there since. Sherman liked veteran players, Thompson likes rookies. Thompson's assumption that the rookies will field a winner if coached properly is nothing new. The problem is you have to put it all together relatively quickly since free agency prys loose many quality players after 3-5 years. Today's NFL means you have to put it together quickly or your time fades. The Bears are in that position now.

I would say the Packers are in a good position to do better(knock on wood there's no injuries) but to assume that you've drafted 30+ new players and that automatically qualifies them for victories is a big leap.

I do like Mike McCarthy. He has a steady hand and seems to know what needs to be done. His assistants seem to be on the same page, but in the end you will ask: is it enough? This is going to be a defensively-minded squad with some offense. Hopefully it will be.

This will be the critical year for Thompson. If the team makes the playoffs, he's on the right course. If they don't....

I hope he doesn't take it out on McCarthy if the season goes south, since McCarthy is working with what Thompson gives him.

Someone elsewhere said the greatest criticism of Ted Thompson is the Seattle Seahawks: a good team coached by one of the best in the business mostly put together with Thompson's choices who are unable to get over the top.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:

I'll remain hopeful.

There's a difference between negative and sceptical. I wanted to remind people that the real deal starts in September. Especially in the Seattle game where the two teams meet again in a few weeks, neither team was willing to show much. The Packers did show enthusiasm and played better, especially on offense, but in the end it's a meaningless game statistically.

It helps the coaching staff see what they have, and that's about it.

What are you talking about. This is the second reference to these two teams meeting again and like I said after you said this before IT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

These teams do not meet again in the regular season and there is no reason not to show what you have. Even though the two starting tackles did not play your other guys better be better than that. Guys do get hurt in this league.

My point is I get tired of hearing after six games in a row of our defensive front continuously beating the crap out of opposing lines this "yeah....but".

Yeah but nothin'. We kicked the **** out of them just like we did the last five times out. Period.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
retiredgrampa said:

This brings up a good point: what is the object of the draft? Though I liked Sherman as a coach, I won't defend his drafting, though he did bring in Barnett and a few others.

Thompson has hit the goldmine with Hawk, though few doubted that would happen. Rodgers might be coming around, Jones appears to be a find, maybe Jennings.

But what is always lost in the "Sherman drafted like an idiot" statement is the Packers were in the playoffs when he was GM and they haven't been there since. Sherman liked veteran players, Thompson likes rookies. Thompson's assumption that the rookies will field a winner if coached properly is nothing new. The problem is you have to put it all together relatively quickly since free agency prys loose many quality players after 3-5 years. Today's NFL means you have to put it together quickly or your time fades. The Bears are in that position now.

I would say the Packers are in a good position to do better(knock on wood there's no injuries) but to assume that you've drafted 30+ new players and that automatically qualifies them for victories is a big leap.

I do like Mike McCarthy. He has a steady hand and seems to know what needs to be done. His assistants seem to be on the same page, but in the end you will ask: is it enough? This is going to be a defensively-minded squad with some offense. Hopefully it will be.

This will be the critical year for Thompson. If the team makes the playoffs, he's on the right course. If they don't....

I hope he doesn't take it out on McCarthy if the season goes south, since McCarthy is working with what Thompson gives him.

Someone elsewhere said the greatest criticism of Ted Thompson is the Seattle Seahawks: a good team coached by one of the best in the business mostly put together with Thompson's choices who are unable to get over the top.

yeah Sherman was in the playoofs, but was it because he built a playoff team or did Mike inherit a playoff team from Ron Wolf. I do think that TT needs to win this year, at least 9 wins. The Packers win 9 games and do not make the playoffs, I'd say give him another year. If greenbay falls flat, and posts 6 wins, you may see a changing of the gaurd in '08.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Sherman got to the playoffs. Because Wolf didn't blow all his draft picks before him and that was one stout team he walked into.

There is no comparing the personnel these two coaches inherited. You can't blow that many draft picks including EVERY SINGLE ONE in one year and not see player quality downgraded.

TT leaving after this year is some Sherman worshipers dillusional dreams. THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOLKS. I don't care what the record turns out to be.

The front office is VERY HAPPY with TT and the transition of players top to bottom on this roster. You see Packer Management knows full well what TT was up against when he arrived.

There was no masking it. You can put all the makeup on an ugly woman you want but underneath is still ugly. We, my friends, was ugly. Once the top brass figured it out they cut the legs out from Sherman and put somebody in there that has a clue how to evaluate talent.

They are not about to put him on the road. I don't care if, heaven forbid, it's 2-14, TT ain't going nowhere. No matter how bad some here would like to see it happen.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Sherman got to the playoffs. Because Wolf didn't blow all his draft picks before him and that was one stout team he walked into.

There is no comparing the personnel these two coaches inherited. You can't blow that many draft picks including EVERY SINGLE ONE in one year and not see player quality downgraded.

TT leaving after this year is some Sherman worshipers dillusional dreams. THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOLKS. I don't care what the record turns out to be.

The front office is VERY HAPPY with TT and the transition of players top to bottom on this roster. You see Packer Management knows full well what TT was up against when he arrived.

There was no masking it. You can put all the makeup on an ugly woman you want but underneath is still ugly. We, my friends, was ugly. Once the top brass figured it out they cut the legs out from Sherman and put somebody in there that has a clue how to evaluate talent.

They are not about to put him on the road. I don't care if, heaven forbid, it's 2-14, TT ain't going nowhere. No matter how bad some here would like to see it happen.

i agree...

if we only win 6 games... TT will still be here, because the board and some of us know that TT is doing exactly what he was brought in to do... no matter how unpopular it might seem to some folks.

fixing the cap, and building a TEAM.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
fixing the cap, and building a TEAM.

Don't take this as a TT bash, but more of an open statment...

1. Ted has done a nice job in managing the cap, but don't forget that there were 2 straight record years in cap increase with the new TV deal and CBA. 20 Million dollars increase in two years helped that along.

2. Ted has increased the talent level on this team without a doubt, but to say he has built a TEAM has yet to be seen. I will say that they are on the right path.

3. Sooner or later you need to win to be called a sucess in the NFL... it either comes this year or next.... or do we become the next Detroit where Millen must have some dirt on Ford or something.

All signs point that we are heading in the right direction... but there is still miles ahead that we must travel.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that the cap increase has been all that helpful to GM's in terms of managing it. All the increased number of dollars has done is given some players a lot more money than they are worth.

One aspect of our cap position that had to be worked around was all the wasted money still being paid guys no longer on the team. Every team has some of this but we were heavily burdened there.

Because of this we were top heavy with minimum wage players or just above that to offset what amounted to lost available salary dollars.

Herein lies what TT was faced with when making cap decisions that ultimately lead to NOT retaining guys like Wahle. This move would have required CREATING cap dollars by adding MORE players to that minimum wage list. WHY? Because you have to cut higher salaried players and replace them with minimum wage players to CREATE cap.

We were already short of quality players and high on minimum wage players so making moves to keep some of those that parted early would have affectively meant robbing Peter to pay Paul. Moving out a quality player in order to hold onto another one.

The increased cap has been great for the Players Union. I don't see where it's made the GM's job any easier.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barnett, Harris, Jenkins, and Kampman all came from sherman's years running the Packers, so TT did get some solid players from MS.

if after three years TT record is 18-30, the fourth year there must be some thought of going in a different direction.

I don't think this will happen, not with #4 at QB, the defense being strong, JJ, and blackmon. if the Pack wins 9, will #4 comeback, and after this year, is it a QB controversy if Favre comes back in '08. I think it is Brett Favre's job untill he can be out performed by A-Rod no matter how long it is.
if the Packer's win TT is a hero, if they lose the next two years straight, TT will be gone.
Can you believe Sherman took B.J. Sander over matt schaub.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your bound to hit on at least a few players over that many years but it's a pretty meager list number wise when you consider the number of years he held the job.

I wouldn't be so ready to call on TT IF, in fact we are losing in two years.

IF we have the PLAYERS and still lose it will be MM's head that rolls.

IF we lack in players and lose then it will be TT whose gone.

Third, if significant injuries prevent us from winning neither go.

My guess is only number three is on the board. I really cannot imagine this team with this much youth only getting better with experience having that hard of time finding the winners circle two years from now.

The upside of this team and it's players is just too positive to ignore. Can you imagine, for example, what kind of a player AJ Hawk or a guy like Colledge is going to be two years from now?

Members online

Latest posts