Sorry State of NFL Officiating

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not quite sure what play you are referring to in the first part. Bottom line is, as we hear all the time, the review has to be clear cut to over turn the call on the field and yes, that can leave it open for a "wrong call" in some peoples minds and subsequent debate. However, I think for the most part, the review process has gotten more calls correct then wrong to warrant being around. I don't believe in the bad calls "even out" theory as an excuse not to get calls right. Maybe over the course of a season, but not in the course of a game, where one blown call can cost a team the game and potentially end their season. But that is alright, because 3 games ago that team benefited from a bad call?
I think it was the Pats and KC, should have been a TD because he had not touched out of bounds, the ball crossed the plane, and a body part hit the pylon with the ball breaking the plane. TD, yet they didn't call it that, even after review. and yes they do even out. and if you don't hold the view that replay generally degrades officiating you probably won't see things from my angle. But I do, i feel that way, and I think we're just beginning to see it affected. Give it another 5 years.

I don't mind the human element in officiating and I don't think replay has made the games better or helped the flow or made them more enjoyable. I think it has created controversy and driven more fans to talk about the game more and allows for more ads to be sold, and that is good for the league. But I think this rabbit hole of relying on technology to officiate a human sport is a hole we should get out of. Because there will always be controversy, there will always be something missed, there will always be something that could have been called differently and could have had an impact on the game.

Once we start with more technology, the answer is going to be more technology and it will never, ever be right. Even playing madden gets people in a frenzy about how a computer plays you in a game and it's a computer. I don't think replay is absolutely horrible at this point, but every year the calls to expand it get louder and it will and then a few years after that they'll want it expanded, and they will and they'l want RFD transmitters in the football and the goal line and then they'll have to stitch together angles to see if it broke before he was down and on and on. I expect the types of plays to be reviewed get expanded as well. My only hope is that I see a retraction of it all before I die or at least a good majority of what I think this beast is going to grow into.

I remember watching games 20-30 years ago, they were probably more enjoyable. They weren't without controversy, just as today's game isn't. about the only difference I see today is refs that influence a game very strongly at times all while trying not to influence games at times.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
if you don't hold the view that replay generally degrades officiating you probably won't see things from my angle.

I definitely see and understand your side and well explained. Just one of those things where we agree to disagree. :D

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear NFL,

Could you please take the time to explain to me "What is a catch?"?

I understand the league wants to regulate everything. But doesn't common sense, tell you weather or not a dude caught the ball or not?

For the record, in my mind, Dez and Fitz both caught those balls. BUT by NFL rules I think they should both be considered incomplete. And 100% they shouldn't have been different calls. They were both nearly identical if you ask me.

Sincerely,
Thoroughly confused Packer fan

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dear Thoroughly confused Packer fan.

We here at the NFL appreciate your concern, but will be unable to process your letter until you include the $100 fee along with a SASE.

Thank you for helping to make us the very successful business that we are, despite the concerns of you and millions others.

Greedily Yours,

The NFL

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it time for a sport with revenues in the neighborhood of $9,000,000,000/year to hire full time refs? Hey, it may not make a difference but its certainly worth a try.

Members online

Latest posts