Sorry State of NFL Officiating

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of articles commenting on how this might have been the worst season of NFL officiating ever, and the case is pretty compelling. What on earth is going on? The officiating in the NCAA is SO much better. Sure, you see the occasional missed call, but very rarely do I see a college game and come away thinking about how incompetent the officiating was. But it's becoming the norm for the NFL. I don't know what the answer is, but they have got to fix it!

Even in the playoffs the "best" crews are doing **** poor work. Even in tonight's game. It was obvious R. Rodgers didn't catch that pass over the middle, but they let the play go? At least twice an OL had a big handful of the back of Raji's jersey. Peterson was shoving Jones 15-20 yards downfield ALL GAME LONG with not even a single call. Janis was basically bear hugged from behind on the final drive at least 2 seconds before the ball arrived. It doesn't get any more obvious than that. BTW, I thought Collinsworthless's justification that the defender might not have "turned him" was ridiculous. And they still can't figure out how to do a coin toss.

Then there was the Odell Beckham debacle. There was the Bengals and Steelers last week which was a mess. I fear the game is being severely compromised by so many incompetent officials. It's time to start holding officials accountable with real consequences including being FIRED if they don't pass muster.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was the ball spotting a little off tonight or I'm just crazy? (not saying this had an overall effect on the outcome) There were a few times where I thought the ball would've been either forward or back a yard or so and they weren't.
There was a run by Starks where I thought he made it up the one yard line and then it just ended up being a play for no gain.
Then there was a play where Johnson got hit for like a 4-3 yard loss, only ended up being 2.
etc. etc.

OP
OP
LarrysCrookedFinger

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing that specifically, but bad spots are so normal now in the NFL that they're almost an afterthought anymore, so you're probably right.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs were BAD tonight. On the extremely lucky touchdown the Cardinals got, there was BLATANT holding on Casey (I think) that wasn't called. Ugh. Just wasn't our year.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of articles commenting on how this might have been the worst season of NFL officiating ever, and the case is pretty compelling. What on earth is going on? The officiating in the NCAA is SO much better. Sure, you see the occasional missed call, but very rarely do I see a college game and come away thinking about how incompetent the officiating was. But it's becoming the norm for the NFL. I don't know what the answer is, but they have got to fix it!

Even in the playoffs the "best" crews are doing **** poor work. Even in tonight's game. It was obvious R. Rodgers didn't catch that pass over the middle, but they let the play go? At least twice an OL had a big handful of the back of Raji's jersey. Peterson was shoving Jones 15-20 yards downfield ALL GAME LONG with not even a single call. Janis was basically bear hugged from behind on the final drive at least 2 seconds before the ball arrived. It doesn't get any more obvious than that. BTW, I thought Collinsworthless's justification that the defender might not have "turned him" was ridiculous. And they still can't figure out how to do a coin toss.

Then there was the Odell Beckham debacle. There was the Bengals and Steelers last week which was a mess. I fear the game is being severely compromised by so many incompetent officials. It's time to start holding officials accountable with real consequences including being FIRED if they don't pass muster.

what they need is have some refs on the fking sidelines watching the game on a monitor to catch anything the fk tards on the field miss.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should read the Cardinals forum game discussion. They complained about the refs the whole game, saying the NFL was fixed, refs wanted the Packers to win, etc., etc. What a joke! (The thread from start to finish was good entertainment, except for the very end of course.)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was the ball spotting a little off tonight or I'm just crazy? (not saying this had an overall effect on the outcome) There were a few times where I thought the ball would've been either forward or back a yard or so and they weren't.
There was a run by Starks where I thought he made it up the one yard line and then it just ended up being a play for no gain.
Then there was a play where Johnson got hit for like a 4-3 yard loss, only ended up being 2.
etc. etc.

Is it just a coincidence that you are a Packer fan and the two examples you gave went in the Cardinals favor?

You should read the Cardinals forum game discussion. They complained about the refs the whole game, saying the NFL was fixed, refs wanted the Packers to win, etc., etc. What a joke! (The thread from start to finish was good entertainment, except for the very end of course.)

And how is that any different than Packers fans complaining about the refs all game.

It was bad at times both ways.

Thank you. I was watching with Bears fan and on the Janis "bear hug" one of them said, very quietly probably so I wouldn't hear, how can you not call that. All I said was "thank you" to him as well. Funny thing is his wife saw holding on just about every Packers offensive play and said so but apparently, judging from her comments anyway, the Cardinals didn't commit one single penalty. I can watch games with him. With her I can't stand it.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

hehe I bet they come here and read and smile....just saying.

As far as the coin toss they could have just said the first time heads AZ's ball.

Rodgers should feel lucky they gave it another toss and you should not get to change your call after the fact.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just a coincidence that you are a Packer fan and the two examples you gave went in the Cardinals favor?
I mean I could've thrown in the placement of the ball on those 2 1st downs you guys got by the tip of the ball. Didn't think it was all that necessary though. I was just curious if anyone noticed that ball placement seemed a bit generous and at the end of the day I'm not chocking up the loss to that. If you can provide me examples of the Packers getting some favorable ball placement then by all means provide them.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
blaming the refs is like blaming that coin toss. packers HAD this win and just let it slip through their hands.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

And how is that any different than Packers fans complaining about the refs all game.

Thank you. I was watching with Bears fan and on the Janis "bear hug" one of them said, very quietly probably so I wouldn't hear, how can you not call that. All I said was "thank you" to him as well. Funny thing is his wife saw holding on just about every Packers offensive play and said so but apparently, judging from her comments anyway, the Cardinals didn't commit one single penalty. I can watch games with him. With her I can't stand it.

the ref and Cards complaining...I dont recall a reply showing the Packers should have been called for something but werent..

We had two obvious non calls..one pi should been on Abby at end of 4th....And on Cards td in 4th, wr drove Heyward to the ground

Announcers pointed both out..In fact on the td one, announcer said want more salt in your wound Packer fans...(or something like that) he showed it and said thats a flag and wasnt called.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never blame the refs for a loss. It makes you look like bad fans with sour grapes. Fact is, we shouldn't of been in that position for another hail mary. Settling for FG's and not getting TD's isn't the ref's fault. When you fail to put teams away (which we did last night), then you're asking for a "L".

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
You can blame the refs, but in the end it simply came down to who made less mistakes. Shields missed that INT x 2, unlucky tip in the end zone caught by Floyd, and blown coverage on first down of OT. I am sick to my stomach today, but this team came to play. Two guys that rarely take first team reps kept the game alive. This just paints the picture for next year. I am amazed at how our young talent has evolved and will continue to evolve. Haha Clinton Dix, demarious randall, quinten Rollins, Jake Ryan, JJ, and Abby yields a strong future. We lost fair and square. But there are a lot of years ahead of this football team. On to the draft

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
I was at the game 40 rows up and saw illegal hands to the face, PI, and a helmet to helmet hit. I couldn't believe the helmet to helmet wasn't called...even the AZ fans around me were shocked they got away with that one.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the game 40 rows up and saw illegal hands to the face, PI, and a helmet to helmet hit. I couldn't believe the helmet to helmet wasn't called...even the AZ fans around me were shocked they got away with that one.

what a tough drive home after a game like that huh? despite the loss i'm sure you are glad you went to that game to watch one of the greatest games in playoff history. knowing we were not favorites none of us expected to watch such a great game. you got to do that in person! :tup:

dennis pope

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs was very bad but the players and choachs need to do there jobs to don cappers defense calling has been bad all year its time to get ready to replace some old players and get rid of the bone head players like b j ragi and get a new offense line and a coach that will make them play with disapline and a packer pride its good to see that the young players understand and show up to play and eddy lacy lay of the dounts and why didnt they play crockett someone with speed. We need to make some changes so mike wake up and listen to the packer nation cos we are the best fans in the world cos we support you all the time good or bad !!!!!

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
what a tough drive home after a game like that huh? despite the loss i'm sure you are glad you went to that game to watch one of the greatest games in playoff history. knowing we were not favorites none of us expected to watch such a great game. you got to do that in person! :tup:

The ride home was tough but yes I'm glad I went. Wish it ended differently....but I have no regrets!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing that specifically, but bad spots are so normal now in the NFL that they're almost an afterthought anymore, so you're probably right.
Bad spots happen in both college and the NFL, its a pet Peeve of mine. Seeing a runner get tackled and the ball down on the 35 and for whatever reason, some ref 20 yards away walks up and puts the ball down, 1-2 yards behind or ahead of that spot. Of course it is easy for me to spot the ball correctly, I am sitting at home, remote control in hand, replaying a poor spot and wondering WTF is up. But as someone brought up, this points to the obvious, why not have someone in the booth, with the same abilities as I have to quickly look at the spot, if its close enough, let if go, but if its off, radio down to the ref. where it really should be. Nobody wants to slow the game down but I don't believe in the adage of "all the bad calls or no calls even themselves out", because for the most part they don't. It's a pretty simple fix with technology. Have more eyes on the field from above. Eyes that actually can help referees to make the proper spots and calls. With the amount of money being made on football, for a small amount of money, a couple of people can be hired to help with some of the simple things that get overlooked by the refs down on the field. Basically, have a ref. armed with a bit of technology and not on the field.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
As it is now NFL games are over-officiated. Even more would be better? Nobody even knows what a catch is anymore -- officials, coaches, players or fans. That is just one example of how too much officiating has been counter-productive to the game. And maybe some key people actually prefer it that way.

The games have gotten way too long, as well, expanding from around three hours per game just a few decades ago to almost three-and-one-half hours today. But that well-serves its underlying purpose even if the flow of the game has suffered because of it due to increasing complication and the need to sort it all out. And fans probably think that the adoption of more complicated rules and even more replay to decipher the rules properly is in response to giving fans what they want: getting the calls "right." Think again.

Since not every team can win the SB each year the real bottom-line for all 32 teams is profit, not the Lombardi Trophy. There aren't enough trophies to go around. The longer the games the more commercials that can be sold. The more commercials that can be sold the fatter the TV contracts. The fatter the TV contracts the more money the owners and players will split. Teams move from city to city in order to make more money, not to win the SB for its fans -- the latter of which is merely the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae. Although the latter sounds noble to the average fan, just as more officiating may also seem like a noble gesture. Let's not forget the mantra that "fans like high-scoring offenses" much better sound to it than "score, more commercials sold; score, more commercials sold."

Skeptical? Consider this and do the math yourself: http://adage.com/article/media/nfl-staggering-ad-prices-2015-16-season/300376/

The next time you endure yet another 3 minute replay review caused by indecisive and imperfect officiating you'll better appreciate the marketing genius of the NFL. Speaking for myself, only, the NFL is awfully close to reaching my limit of tolerance for their underlying efforts to further prolong games. It's losing its entertainment appeal for me by the minute.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's only going to get worse. i've been saying it for a while that when you start to call games more open and depend on replay to get it right, the overall effect on officiating is negative for all sorts of reasons. Give me some guys that have a good eye and the balls to make a call. They'll get some wrong, but replay hasn't stopped that and it's created a whole other set of issues. They won't get rid of replay, they're only going to add to it. And I know they don't care about me, but I am pretty close to commercial saturation and my BS meters are about full. I never thought I'd see a day where i might not give 2 ***** about football, but the NFL is pushing me closer every year.

Commercials are bad enough, get Sling stream of an ESPN game sometime when they just play their logo and some crapy music for the duration and then you really see just how much time is completely wasted in a game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I'm fine with a game lasting longer, if it means getting calls correct. I would much rather the officials spend a few minutes getting a crucial call correct VS the hours devoted by the media and fans after the game debating how this one blown call cost a team the game. I love watching the Packers play and will take another 1/2 of game time in exchange for a correctly called game. Of course, I DVR the games and don't watch them live, so this allows me to skip through commercials. :D

Many people thought instant replay was a bad idea and it would slow the games down to a snails pace, it hasn't. With the technology that is available, getting calls correct can be easily accomplished and at least help to make sure the games are won or lost by the play on the field, not a blown officials call. How would the Packer playoff game against Washington have turned out, if the DeSean Jackson "touchdown" had stood? This is just one play of hundreds that instant replay has aided in getting it right.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and yet it seems they didn't get a TD "right" with replay last weekend when the guy hit the pylon with the ball in bounds before any part touched out. Should have been a TD, reviewed, and still wrong. or the Fitzgerald catch on Saturday? Was it right when they got Dez's drop right? or when they called Fitz's drop a catch? or were they both catches? Replay doesn't mean it gets it right. Make a call and move on. They even each other out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
and yet it seems they didn't get a TD "right" with replay last weekend when the guy hit the pylon with the ball in bounds before any part touched out. Should have been a TD, reviewed, and still wrong. or the Fitzgerald catch on Saturday? Was it right when they got Dez's drop right? or when they called Fitz's drop a catch? or were they both catches? Replay doesn't mean it gets it right. Make a call and move on. They even each other out.

Not quite sure what play you are referring to in the first part. Bottom line is, as we hear all the time, the review has to be clear cut to over turn the call on the field and yes, that can leave it open for a "wrong call" in some peoples minds and subsequent debate. However, I think for the most part, the review process has gotten more calls correct then wrong to warrant being around. I don't believe in the bad calls "even out" theory as an excuse not to get calls right. Maybe over the course of a season, but not in the course of a game, where one blown call can cost a team the game and potentially end their season. But that is alright, because 3 games ago that team benefited from a bad call?

Members online

Latest posts