1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Son wants to be a Packer

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by DGB454, Nov 2, 2007.

1. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly new to this forum but not new to the Packers fan base

My son just finished up his JV season here at home in southwest Michigan.
    His last 3 games he moved up to Varsity at age 15 as a starting defense tackle and second string full back. He says he wants to someday be a Packer. (Who knows?) Here is a link to my you tube page with highlights from his performances.
    (Hope I did this right) :-?

I'm just hoping he can get into college on a scholarship.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DGB454

Have a look.

Thanks
    DGB

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Tell your son good luck from me! I always wanted to be a Green Bay Packer........except i don't have any football talent! Tell your son to keep at it, and follow his dream! Hopefully he can reach it!
    Cheesey

3. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I had it ALL figured out. I was going to be drafted out of high school (how, I don't know. Haha!) by the Packers, and if for some reason that didn't work out, it didn't matter cause I was also going to be drafted by the Yankees. That's right...the Yankees were my BACKUP plan! Haha!

4. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heck cheesey, you'd fit right in with the Packers! :p

DGB454, neat videos that you have there, hope that your son does well!

5. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Right now I am just loving that he is into football.

6. johnny_blood

johnny_blood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh i KNOW i would fit right in! On the Packers i'd be their water boy..........if i was on the Vikings I'd be their starting QB! :lol:

8. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Man they have some good coaching there. Did you see some of the blocking? Our team never even passed the ball at that age. You watch some of the earlier films from my son and that's what they lacked was coaches that taught the good basics of football.

Plus the kid has some good moves. I bet if he keeps it up he will be one heck of a Highschool player.

9. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Last note: At 15 my son is 6ft. 220lbs. He ia squatting 400+ lbs and bench pressing 270 lbs. He is more of a power back or defensive lineman than a running back. We are going to work on speed training on the off season
    this year. Possibly he will tryout for a linebacker position next season.
    Full back is still good a possibility too.

10. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Good luck to him, I was 6'2" 242 my sophmore year and I was starting to get recruiting letters, they will soon start to come for him as well. Tell him not to get caught up in it all... keep your nose clean and if you can afford it, send him to a couple of summer camps with some decent coaches.. that was the best thing I ever did. My high school coaches were so so... getting some advice from former college and pro players was awesome.

Not only to augment the coaching I was recieving, but it also starts to get his name circulating among the college levels. If he goes, tell him to have his mind right, it is the like a mini job interview.

11. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you go to college playing football? We want to send him to the U of M.
    summer camp but that's expensive. We may end up sending him to a Western Mich camp just down the road. They have a pretty good program for the size of the school.
    Our highschool coaches are OK but not great. I'm pretty sure they mostly
    rely more on raw tallent than teaching the players how to get better.

Thanks for the advise.
    DGB

12. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I was in a accident right before the last game soph year and was unable to go on to play college ball, but from 8th grade through my sophmore year I attended the camps in Madison, Iowa State, and Winona State (MN). To be honest, for me, the Iowa State and Winona camps were better for the money paid. Now, that was early so maybe the Madison camp would have proved more benefitical in getting a scholarship.

To be honest, with his size already, if you hit a camp or two, you will have no shortage of recruiting letters. I wanted to attend a D1 school with some opportunity to get on the field early, sophmore year or earlier.

My coaches here, with the exception of one, were not of good quality, however the one was a linebacker and starting catcher in a D1 - AA school and had a couple of connections to college ball. Plus I used my camp time to network out a bit with some college programs.

The biggest thing I can tell you is it interesting to say the least, the recruiting process that is.. even though I got hurt my sophmore year I got the letters up through my senior year. Mostly from small schools, but probably 2 to 3 a month.

Western Michigan would be a great start, if he can shine there.. trust me, you will get the attention of schools around. Tell him to be a sponge on technique, because at these camps, you are no longer the biggest kid on the field. It is intense, but the camps are worth every second if he is serious about taking the next step.

Good luck.