Someone's project depth chart..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Interesting so far... this guy seems to be very active at the OTA's so I thought I would post his take.

http://www.mytvisonfire.com/packersnation/?p=2016

Since there is little going on in Packerland I have decided to predict who I think will make the Packers roster. This is my early predictions. I will make changes once we make it to training camp. I will try to do one position a day.

Quarterback

Brett Favre- Well this was an obvious choice. Brett Favre will be the starting quarterback for another season unless he gets hurt (lets hope not). I think Brett will have an above average year. No he will not play like the old Brett but I think he will still be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. I think he will also break several passing records this season. First he will break the most career victories for a quarterback. (He only needs one. If we don’t get that the Packers are in serious trouble). Brett will also break the all time TD record (he needs 6 I believe). Brett will also break the INT record (he only needs 4 more). Finally he could break the passing yard record (I think he needs around 3,600 yards).

Aaron Rodgers- Aaron Rodgers will once again sit on the bench. I think he will show Packer fans in training camp and the preseason that he will be ready to take over once Brett retires. I am expecting that Rodgers will be an above average starting quarterback once Brett retires.

Ingle Martin- Ingle Martin will make the team by default. While I don’t think he is bad, I think he needs a lot of work. He has great arm strength but he needs to work on his accuracy if he wants to become anything more than a third stringer.

Cuts

Paul Thompson- Just a camp body

Jerry Baab- Just a camp body

Running Back

Vernand Morency-Last year Morency had an on and off season. This year I think he will be an average starter. He will start the first couple of games while splitting carries with Brandon Jackson. By midseason I think he will become the backup. Overall I think he will have around 600-700 and 5 touchdowns.

Brandon Jackson-As I said before I think Jackson will start as the backup and eventually become the starter. I think by the end of the season we will show us how good he can be. By looking at highlights I can see Barry Sanders qualities already in him. I think he will be the next Barry Sanders. By the end of the season I think he will have between 600-700 yards and 5 touchdowns. After this season he will be our starter for years to come.

Deshawn Wynn-I know he has work ethic and attitude problems but I think he will still make the team. I think he will start off slow but will eventually become a great compliment to Jackson in the future. He will be the power back while Jackson is the speed back.

Cut

Noah Herron-Although he has never been a bad running back it is time to cut Herron go. Herron will never be better than 3rd running back.

PJ Pope

Fullback

Brandon Miree-Although he didn’t have a great season last year, I think Brandon Miree will still make the roster this year. With another year of experience under his belt I think he will be an average starter. I think he will eventually need to be replaced though.

Cut

Korey Hall-Hall making the team will depend if there are any extra spots left on the team. I don’t think Korey Hall will be able to help much this year except on special teams. I think it will take more than this year to transition to the fullback position. If we have an open roster spot I think we might keep Hall in order to give him time to develop.

Ryan Powdrell-Camp body

Cory White-Camp body

Wide Receivers

Donald Driver-Donald Driver will have another big year. Donald Driver will make the Pro Bowl once again. I think he will have a bigger year this year since he will have a healthy Greg Jennings and Koren Robinson to help him out.

Greg Jennings-Greg Jennings will improve on last season. I think he will get 1,000 yards and will be a good #2.

James Jones-Even though a lot of people criticized his selection he has been showing his critics how good he can actually be. He has done great so far. He has caught every pass that has come close to him. I think he will be a good number 3 and number 4 once Koren Robinson comes back. He will be a good jump ball receiver in the very least.

Ruvell Martin-Ruvell Martin has been a solid receiver for the Packers. He will be a good pocession receiver. Once Koren Robinson’s suspension is over either Martin or Holliday will be cut.

Carlyle Holiday-Carlyle Holiday surprised a lot of people last season. Once Koren Robinson’s suspension is over either Holliday or Martin will be cut.

David Clowney-Although David Clowney is a project I think he will make the team. He will be the kick and punt returner and I think he will be a very good one since he is so fast. After 2 or 3 years I think Clowney could be a good number 2 or number 3 receiver.

After week 6 Koren Robinson will be added to the roster (once his suspension is over). I think the first couple weeks since being back he will be rusty but after that I think he will be our #3 receiver and will provide a good big play receiver for Brett Favre.

Cut

Robert Ferguson-Robert Ferguson’s time in Green Bay is over. He is hurt way to often and has seemed to lost his confidence going over the middle. The Packers will go with more youth and cut Ferguson.

Shaun Bodiford-The only reason Shaun Bodiford would have made the team was as a returner. Since Clowney will make the team as a returner there is no room for Shaun Bodiford.

Carlton Brewster-Carlton Brewster will not make the team but might have a chance to make the practice squad.

Chris Francies-Just doesn’t have what it take to make the team.

Calvin Russell-Not good enough to make the team.

Tight End

Bubba Franks-While I don’t think Bubba Franks will be good this year, I think he will rebound a little from last year. Bubba will still be a good blocking TE, and an average receiving TE.

Donald Lee-Donald Lee needs to step up this year or he probably won’t make the team next year. Lee had a horrible year last year. If he can show more of the flashes he showed in the 2005 season I think he will be our leading receiving TE.

Zac Alcorn-The coaching staff has been in love with this kid ever since he joined the team. I have heard from some reports that he has some of the best hands on the team. If Alcorn lives up to his potential he might be able to start before the year is over.

Cut

Tory Humphrey-Tory Humphrey has latched onto this team for too long and he still hasn’t shown anything. Unless he has a breakout training camp, his run in Green Bay is over.

Clark Harris-The Packers last pick in this year’s draft has his work cut out for him. Early reports have been very discouraging. He has had trouble catching even the simplest of catches. If he can’t improve his hands by training camp he will be looking for a new job come fall. On positive for him is that he is a long snapper and might be able to beat out Rob Thomas.

Offensive Line

Starting RT Mark Tauscher-Mark Tauscher returns for another year. Mark didn’t have his best year last year. I think he will rebound and have a good year. Hopefully he can finally get enough respect around the league and get the Pro Bowl invite he has deserved for years now.

Starting G Daryn Colledge-I think this will be Daryn Colledge’s breakout year. The zone blocking scheme is perfect for him. He improved as a player every week last year and I think he will continue to improve. By the end of the year he will be an above average guard and after his third year he will be a great Guard.

Starting C Scott Wells-Scott Wells was probably our best offensive lineman last year. I think he will have another good year this year.

Startin G Jason Spitz-I think Spitz will have a pretty good year but he will be the weakness of the offensive line.

Starting LT Chad Clifton-Clifton has been hurt a lot in the past couple of years. This offseason is very promising for him though. I have heard from several places he is the healthiest he has been in years at this point in the year. Lets hope Clifton avoids the injury bug this year.

Tony Moll-Tony Moll was one of the surprise players of last year. I think Tony Moll will be a great backup this year at both the tackle and guard position. I think Tony Moll will also be groomed to take over for either Tauscher or Clifton (probably Clifton because he is so injury prone).

Allen Barbre-Don’t expect to see much from him this year. Barbre is a huge project. He will sit on the bench for at least two years if not more before he can break the starting lineup (unless someone gets hurt).

Junius Coston-Coston will make the team by default. Unless one of the undrafted rookies can show something Coston will get the job. (Lets hope one steps up since Coston can’t seem to live up to his potential. Tony Palmer is the most likely too.)

Cut (If one of these step up they will take Coston’s spot on the team)

Pete Bier

Travis Leffew

Pat Murray

Tony Palmer

Adam Stenavinch

Orrin Thompson

Tyson Walter

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either Wynn steps up and shows he can be a quality backup FB as well as RB or they will have to keep somebody other than just Miree. Otherwise there is nobody behind Miree to play FB other than a backup TE and that would not be good IMO.

Whoever on that FB list that shows the most upside AND can be a demon on ST's will stick if I had to guess.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry Sanders qualities?
Get out of here; they only thing Jackson has in comparison to Sanders is two legs.
Wynn------taxi squad.
Clowney_______ taxi squad unless he turns heads on special teams.

The rest I agree with.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
clowney has had a good run so far, i think hes gonna make the team... we will carry 5 recievers at the very least. DD, Jennings, Jones, Clowney, Holiday and when Krob gets back we will carry 6 because one of these mugs has got to do the return game.

and Wynn looks ok so far too.
your gonna carry 3 RBs regardless.. and usually 4. so the only practice squader is see here is PJ

If Korey Hall makes the team as a back up full back, it may very well spell bad news for Wynn however.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont think carlton brewster will make the team? I expect some big plays from him.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Korey Hall being cut. Frankly, with our situation at LB, I'm not sure why he was drafted. expecting him to make the team at a new position was a rather unfair situation to put him in. It would have been better for him to be drafted by another team. That said, I'm glad to see him in G&G because he IS talented and works hard. It would be a mistake, IMO, to cut him loose if for no other reason than ONE injury in the LB corps will make him very valuable again. And injuries are inevitable. I hope he has more than one option.

Reaction score
Good read, especially at this slow time of the offseason.

I basically agree with what was said, except for a couple of things:

1) PJ Pope, not DeShawn Wynn, will be our power back (IMO). I like what I've heard from Pope, and I read he has deceptive strength. I think he could provide a nice #3 option that we can groom for a bigger role (IE #2 back).

2) Korey Hall won't get cut (IMO). He would be an asset to our ST, and more importantly if Miree gets injured (he has been every year he's been in the league) we'll need another FB to step in. Hall will have to be that guy, whether he is fully ready or not.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant see Korey Hall getting cut anytime soon, he's gonna be a unsung hero for us in the future.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see PJ Pope being cut. He is an exeptional blocker and has above average hands to catch the ball out of the backfield, if Herron is cut Pope will be the third down back.
Wynn will end up on the PS, he needs to mature real fast to end up on the regular season squad.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The list looked pretty good, I dont know though Korey Hall might make it.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
random thoughts...

Noah Herron...I like a guy like him...a few reasons why...for what we pay him he produces...put up yardage in pinch situations...caught passes from the backfield (something morency really hasn't proven consistently yet)...a decent pass blocker, is good for some carries here and there...he's what we missed (seemingly only I missed) when Tony Fisher left...and given our running backs are all rookies except for Morency (who I'm not as sold on as everybody else is), it's good to have another guy around with some NFL experience who is probably making close to the vet minimum

Tony Moll...right on with your eval; he's becoming a Grey Ruegammer type who can be plugged into just about any position on the line

Wide Receivers...I like all of them (assuming Ferguson gets cut)...still awaiting the gadget play where Carlyle Holliday throws a TD pass

good job on the post...

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how our defensive line is shaping up, but I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to call them the best pass-rushing unit in the league at this point.

We will probably go into this season with 9 or 10 offensive linemen and 5 receivers. If Koren comes back, a reserve from the offensive or defensive lines will probably get cut to make room on the 53-man roster for him and we'll go with 6 receivers from there. Obviously Jennings and Driver make the team, and Jones and Clowney will probably as well unless either has a "Cory Rodgers" type of implosion during training camp. The final receiver spot will come down to who plays best between Martin, Holiday, Brewster, Ferguson, Francies, Russell, and Bodiford. The only way I see Ferguson making this team is if he can win the slot/3rd receiver job from Jones. Otherwise, his salary is probably going to be to high to justify keeping him around as a 4th or 5th receiver when we have many other younger players with more potential who can play those positions for much cheaper.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the Rams-Packers game last season...Ahman Green was hurt and Herron stepped up and rushed for 100 yds and a TD that game..if I remember right, Morency may have reached 100 yds too or was close.

I like Herron to make the team.

ACDC84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the Rams-Packers game last season...Ahman Green was hurt and Herron stepped up and rushed for 100 yds and a TD that game..if I remember right, Morency may have reached 100 yds too or was close.

I like Herron to make the team.

Great point. That was Herron's ONLY chance to show anything and he rushed for 100+. Not bad. I recall that Morency got pulled after an early fumble or two. I see Morency and Jackson splitting carries, probably 60-40 respectively until one of them establishes themselves as the better option halfway through the year. I am curious about Wynn though. Sounds like if he woulda had a better attitude in college he would have had a chance to play himself into a draft situation similar to Jackson. I'm not condoning a bad attitude, but he could be one of those guys that sees an opportunity and works his *** off to show that he can compete as a good RB.

I am eager to see what Morency can do. Every year there are one or two RBs that were always considered back-ups but get a chance because of injuries, free agency, etc, and then step and become stars for years to come. I think Morency could be one this year. I truly believe that if we were to give him 75-80% of the carries (though I don't see that happening) he could easily gain 1200-1400 yards and double digit TDs. After Green left (I don't blame him and wish him the best) TT always said that he was totally comfy and confident with Morency being our guy. Now I know that he would say that whether he believed that or not, but I think that if team officials really knew that Morency wouldn't have a legit chance to be an every down back, we woulda made a bigger run at McGahee, Henry or Turner, or traded up for Peterson or Lynch.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Korey Hall being cut. Frankly, with our situation at LB, I'm not sure why he was drafted. expecting him to make the team at a new position was a rather unfair situation to put him in. It would have been better for him to be drafted by another team. That said, I'm glad to see him in G&G because he IS talented and works hard. It would be a mistake, IMO, to cut him loose if for no other reason than ONE injury in the LB corps will make him very valuable again. And injuries are inevitable. I hope he has more than one option.

Was he an end in college?

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
seems like a pretty good list. Where is the defense?

Now this person's take on the Defense

Defensive

Defensive Line

Aaron Kampman (DE Starter)-After last year expectations are high for Kampman. I think he will fulfill them. He has a great defensive line to go with him now so he shouldn’t get double teamed as much anymore. I think Kampman will put up very similar stats to last year.

Cullen Jenkins (DE Starter on running plays and starting DT on passing plays)-Cullen Jenkins had a great end to his last season which got him a huge payday this offseason. Once Jenkins got moved to DE last season he started to show how could he could actually be. On running downs Jenkins will play DE. Our run defense should be great this year because we will practically have 3 DTs on the field with Jenkins, Pickett, and Harrell. On passing plays Jenkins will move inside and play DT so KGB can come in on passing plays. I think we are going to have the best pass rushing defensive line in the league. We will have KGB and Kampman at DE, and Jenkins and Corey Williams at DT. We will have four sack masters on the field at the same time. How can you beat that.

Ryan Pickett-While Pickett didn’t get all the stats like other DTs in the league last year he was still one of the best DTs in the league last year. Pickett is a great role player. His job on the team is to open holes so linebackers can make plays, and stuff the run. I think Pickett will have another great year but will still not have the stats to back it up though.

Justin Harrell-Picking Harrell in the first round upset a lot of people. I think Harrell will turn out to be a great player though. This year I think he will only play on running downs as a run stuffer though. His biggest strength is his run stuffing anyways. Harrell is a mountain of a man and should do a great job clearing space in the middle to tackle the running back behind the line. Lets hope he stays healthy though. After this year I think we will use him more on passing downs.

Corey Williams-Corey Williams was hurt the most by the Harrell pick but he will still get a lot of playing time on this team. Williams won’t be playing on running downs. Williams will mostly be playing on passing downs. Last year even in his limited amount of playing time he was one of the leaders in sacks for DTs. I expect that to continue this year.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila-This year KGB has been demoted to pass rush specialist. He should have always been a pass rushing specialist. I think he will get double digit sacks this year since he will only have to focus and use all of his energy just on pass rushing.

Colin Cole-Colin Cole has been a really good backup and situational player for the Packers. Expect more of that for this year.

Jason Hunter-This might be a surprise but I think Hunter will make the team again. I think the Packers will groom Hunter to be KGBs replacement as pass rushing specialist. Last training camp and preseason showed us that Hunter has enough speed. If he continues to improve his talent I think he could become a great pass rushing specialist.

Cut
Michael Montgomery-(This might change if there is roster spots left) Michael Montgomery has been a solid DE for the Packers but since our DL is so strong you need to be more than solid to make the team.

Johnny Jolly-(This might change if there is roster spots left) Johnny Jolly will most likely get cut just because we have too many good DTs. We have four DTs that should make the team no matter what. Jolly only chance to make the team is if we keep 5 DTs. (Pretty Unlikely)

Larry Birdine

DeVon Hicks

Daniel Muir

Linebackers

AJ Hawk-AJ started out a little slow last year but ended off the year on a high note. He showed why he was worth the #5 pick. This year I expect him to become one of the top linebackers in the entire league and would be shocked if he didn’t make the pro bowl. AJ will lead possibly the best linebacking crew in the NFL.

Nick Barnett-Nick Barnett got a big contract extension this offseason lets hope his play lives up to his new salary. I expect him to play at least as well as he did last season. I actually expect him to play a little better because I think Harrell will open up a lot of holes up the middle which will give Nick Barnett more opportunities to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Maybe this year Nick Barnett will finally make the pro bowl.

Brady Poppinga-How can you not like his enthusiasm. Poppinga had some problems in coverage last year but he seemed to improve throughout the season. I think his coverage skills will continue to improve.

Abdul Hodge-Abdul Hodge had a great training camp last year and many wanted to move him outside so he could start last season. I doubt he will be moved this year. He will be a great backup though and might get to play some on running downs.

Juwan Simpson-Juwan Simpson was one of our undrafted rookies. The main reason he wasn’t drafted was because of his attitude and he has some behavior problems. I heard somewhere that if he didn’t have character problems he probably would have been drafted around the third round. If Simpson can overcome his character problems he has enough talent to make this team.

Desmond Bishop-Desmond Bishop was the linebacker we chose in the sixth round this year that we are actually keeping at linebacker. I don’t think Bishop will get any time at linebacker this year unless several linebackers get hurt. Bishop will be a backup and a special teams master. In college he was amazing at special teams and I think that is where we will use him the most. I think he will eventually become an above average backup.

Cut
Tracy White-Every year it seems like Tracy White makes the team. Then he is cut. Then he is resigned a couple weeks later. I think that trend will end this year. White doesn’t have enough talent and potential to stay on this team.

Tim Goodwell

Spencer Havner

Rory Johnson-An undrafted rookie who won’t show enough to make the team.

Cornerbacks

Al Harris-Al Harris will have another great year and will be one of the best shutdown corners in the league. Hopefully he can finally make the Pro Bowl like he deserve to.

Charles Woodson-Charles Woodson started off a little slow last year but ended strong with 8 interceptions. I expect to have at least as many interceptions as he had last year.

Will Blackmon-If Will Blackmon can actually stay healthy I think he will be a very good #3 and will eventually be a starter. Will he stay healthy is the question though? Will we see him as the #3 or on the IR?

Frank Walker-Frank Walker was the only FA added this offseason. I think he will decent year.

Patrick Dendy-I have never been a big fan of Patrick Dendy but I though he did a pretty good job as the #3 corner last year.

Jarret Bush-Jarret Bush only played special teams last year but I think he could do pretty well as a CB. In the OTA practice I went to he had two really good INTS.

Cut

Antonio Malone-Wasn’t very impressive at the OTAs.

Tramon Williams

Safeties

Nick Collins-I think Nick Collins will have a bounce back year. I think he will finally show how good he can really be. I think this will be his breakout year.

Marviel Underwood-If Marviel Underwood wouldn’t have gotten hurt last year I believe he would have started. He had a great training camp and showed that he could be a turnover machine. I think he will stay healthy and be the starter this year.

Aaron Rouse-I think Aaron Rouse has a chance to start part way through the year if either Underwood falters or he shows flashes of brilliance.

Tyrone Culver-I was pleasantly surprised by Culver last year. He was a good backup and spot starter last year.

Atari Bigby-The Packers have always been high on him, but I never have been.

Cut

Marquand Manuel-I think Marquand Manuel will be cut becuase he won’t get the starting spot. If he doesn’t start there is no point in keeping him. We have a lot of young safeties that have more potential and are cheaper than Manuel to be backups. I hope Thompson can admit he made a mistake and cut Manuel.
Charlie Peprah

Alvin Nnabuife

Special Teams

Kicker

Mason Crosby-I think Mason Crosby will get the job because he has as accurate and a stronger leg than Dave Rayner. In OTAs he consistently kicked the ball 5 yards further than Rayner. I expect this position will come down to the last week of training camp.

Cut

Dave Rayner-I think Mason Crosby will just kick better than Rayner.

Punter

Jon Ryan-Jon Ryan almost gets this position by default. He technically has competition but there is really no way that he can beat Ryan. The Packers are also working with Ryan in order to improve his hang time. This should make him a better punter.

Cut
David Lonnie

Long Snapper

Rob Davis-I have never thought the long snapper position was very important. The Packers have always thought it is though. Rob Davis will get the job unless Clark Harris can show that he is a good long snapper. The good thing about Rob Davis is that he provides veteran leadership.
I will have updated predicted depth chart once training camp has started.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for D-Line where is Justin Harrell? I agree with the list except i i think it could be Juwan Simpson, Tracy White or Rory Johnson for the final LB spot. And im not sure if we will cut Manuel just yet unless he really stinks.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of early to make projections without seeing training camp. Not that I bash the guy but I'm sure his opinions will change the first week of training camp just like mine and everyone else's will probably.

I do like that he has Manuel cut. I hope he's right on that although I think the Pack will just end up keeping him.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Porky... agreed... just some offseason speculation to pass the time I guess. Overall a few positions may change but for the most part the core is probably pretty much set, unless someone is added :) Thanks George :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts