Some Players To Build On

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady Poppinga is a violent, violent player who delivers the **** with fervor. Seems to be around the ball alot on defense....just like special teams. I like guys who always find a way to be around the ball....violently. If he stays healthy, he can be a solid guy for us.

Mike Montgomery absolutely STUFFED that goal line play and was, like Poppinga, always around the ball.....and holds up well against the outside run. Seems fairly relentless in pursuit....another week, another good showing for M Squared.

Samkon Gado....well, that performance may change the way we approach the draft. Great showing against the great Bears defense, another great showing against a very solid Lions defensive front 7. This kid, at least, will be a VERY GOOD number 2 back.....but with his consistent improvement EVERY WEEK, and the fact that he is only scratching the surface of his talent, I do not believe it is too early to say that the Packer can look to him as the featured back of the future.

Colin Cole just gets better and better every week and is becoming an increasingly disruptive force in the offenses backfield.

Nick Collins hits like a brick ********* and, while he makes a few rookie mistakes here and there, is a guy that this team already has confidence in....plus those wheels...man that kid can fly and has exceptional range. Great pick who is doing the #36 proud...I think LeRoy is grinning about this kid.

There are certainly more, but I just wanted to cpncentrate on some of the real young guys. The above are delivering the goods every week...something to get excited about.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppinga's career is threatened. He torn an anterior ligament in his knee.
They don't know if he'll be back....NEXT SEASON.

The rehab is usually 12 months.

He's also 26 or 27 years old already(Mormon mission).

A.J. Hawk?

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the LB Manning shows a lot of potential also and Ahman Green is starting to play really well. Marviel Underwood is also a quality player.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs: I feel the same way about those guys.

It is very, very sad what happened to Poppinga, but he might be back.

On the opther hand I am happier every day with Collins he hits hard, is allways around the ball and NEVER QUITS when pursuing someone !!!

I hope Poppinga´s is a not so bad injury and he can come back next season..

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i loved seeing nick collins run down mcquarters, saved a touchdown...

mike montgomery was outstanding on every play i saw him in the game, he blew up a screen pass, i think he's the strongside DE spell for KGB we've been looking for for a while...however i really don't think KGB is a part of this equation anymore...too one dimensional, and he's not even good at that dimension anymore

linebackers...where was robert thomas? poppinga was alright, shouldnt have been starting

colin cole looked solid, grady jackson was simply a road block--too bad this is the end for grady in green bay, probably...we saw how important a run stuffing DT was last night on the goal line, i think that that should be our top priority in the offseason--unless grady agrees to take a pay cut and gilbert-type first down and short down run responsibilities

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, digs. I especially agree about Gado. I didn't take him too seriously until he made that spin move on that TD in Philly, and that long TD run last night established him as a possible featured back in my mind. What's not to like about him? He's got power, agility, speed, and a great attitude.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And greg an upside that is unbelievable. At 22 he would have around five to six years of production. He has also show he can catch out of the back field. In my mind the Pack needs a Defensive QB which has been missing since butler went away.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
And greg an upside that is unbelievable. At 22 he would have around five to six years of production. He has also show he can catch out of the back field. In my mind the Pack needs a Defensive QB which has been missing since butler went away.

What the hell is a defensive QB?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
JbShell said:

Someone who controls the defense on the field the way a QB runs the Offense. Cant believe you have never heard that Phrase. You ever get to see Butler Play he would direct the defense he had the years in the league to tell everyone what the coverages were and the formations of the other team. Just like a QB does on Offense

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Packersfan43084 said:
JbShell said:

Someone who controls the defense on the field the way a QB runs the Offense. Cant believe you have never heard that Phrase. You ever get to see Butler Play he would direct the defense he had the years in the league to tell everyone what the coverages were and the formations of the other team. Just like a QB does on Offense

a good example is Brian Dawkins for the Eagles--and that is someone who i compare Nick Collins to at this early age

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i don't know Javon..

Dawkins is pretty good...

You think Collins could be that good???

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
i don't know Javon..

Dawkins is pretty good...

You think Collins could be that good???

a playmaker who seems to have his nose in on every play, stopping the run, vs. the pass, the occasional blitz, the leader of a defense...yeah

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Collins might be the best player we got last year. He certainly has the most potential and has prgressed nicely. I hope he stays in GB this offseason to work with the coaching staff. He could be a Pro Bowler next year if he does.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we have great talent all around,green will be at his best,next season and sice he would like to stay in green bay and willing to redo his contract we should keep him,gado will improve on his holding the ball skills i think he is doing alt better already.popagina will be back early he's a fighter,brett will be back to leroy made comment on the news the other night about stop asking he thinks at least next year.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
If Collins can be compared to Dawkins then he was the biggest steal in the draft.

keep in mind dawkins was a 3rd round pick

Nick Collins shows the same kind of tenacity to be a factor on every facet of the defensive game plan, and he doesnt give up on any play--I also hope the vocal leadership aspect evolves for him too, he's going to be a big factor for us in the next few seasons

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping the packers can build on Terrence Murphy too. We forget about him because he is injured, but when he comes back next year it will be like having an extra draft pick because he didn't play much.

He showed a lot of promise in camp. Hopefully he can develop along the lines of Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman instead of guys like Derrick Mayes or to a lesser extent Robert Ferguson who hasn't performed as well as I hoped.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These young guys are the reason why I so look forward to the draft. TT has made several great picks right out of the box. It bodes well for the future of the Packers. Guys that hit hard and have speed...we've been lacking both for too long. Now if we can keep Bates on board, the sky's the limit.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I'm hoping the packers can build on Terrence Murphy too. We forget about him because he is injured, but when he comes back next year it will be like having an extra draft pick because he didn't play much.

He showed a lot of promise in camp. Hopefully he can develop along the lines of Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman instead of guys like Derrick Mayes or to a lesser extent Robert Ferguson who hasn't performed as well as I hoped.

if T-Murph comes back at 100% i hope he leap-frogs Ferguson in the lineup...several times sunday night i saw Ferguson break off routes, he's too hesitant, he hasn't been the same since Darius' cheap shot

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
ArizonaPackerFan said:

if T-Murph comes back at 100% i hope he leap-frogs Ferguson in the lineup...several times sunday night i saw Ferguson break off routes, he's too hesitant, he hasn't been the same since Darius' cheap shot

I couldn't agree more. I remember the night he got hurt (in only his second game of seeing action after coming back from an injury himself against Carolina, the same night Brett tore Fergie a new one on the sideline) Brett was already starting to show great confidence in him, and as he was laying on the field being attended to, MNF kept showing the look on Brett's face...a look of "WTF to do now". I have no doubt that if Murph comes back 100% Fergie would be all but forgotten.

Members online

Latest posts