Solid draft yes..but our backup QB situation still scares me.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anybody on here can honestly say with a straight face they are ok with Graham harrel being the backup i'd like to check your pulse haha. No but seriously, everytime Rodgers gets hit i pray he gets back up because there is just no faith that Harell could lead this team if Rodgers missed time. Let's hope he stays healthy.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this summer we will see Bj Coleman step into the number 2 spot. He has a better arm IMO and given another QB school and training camp I bet they are at least neck and neck coming into September. For me Idk if that is much better insurance but my faith in Harrel to come in to a game a win is slim to none.

I don't know where is the draft we could have picked up anyone that would have really been too much of an upgrade but being so spoiled with QB play I never really looked into those guys.

One thing we can all agree on is that if #12 goes down for any significant amount of time so does the Superbowl aspirations.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this summer we will see Bj Coleman step into the number 2 spot. He has a better arm IMO and given another QB school and training camp I bet they are at least neck and neck coming into September. For me Idk if that is much better insurance but my faith in Harrel to come in to a game a win is slim to none.

I don't know where is the draft we could have picked up anyone that would have really been too much of an upgrade but being so spoiled with QB play I never really looked into those guys.

One thing we can all agree on is that if #12 goes down for any significant amount of time so does the Superbowl aspirations.

Yea that's for sure. Maybe TT will wait until teams start cutting guy's in bring in another arm to compete? who knows? because i don't have the slightest bit of faith in Coleman either. I'd rather have a vet with some experience.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have faith in Coleman's athleticism and arm to make the deep throws, it's game time decisions and game time accuracy that I am scared of. I hope the Packer QB school is able to improve this, I have faith it can but until I see it I'm not going to count on anything past Rodgers.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It'll always be a wash behind Rodgers. I do wish we had gotten a better UDFA than Brown though. Like Scott.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait wait wait wait waiiit... Did I just walk into a trap??? Is this because a certain someone got released by a certain Green football team in NY??

JUST SAY NO TO TEBOW

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait wait wait wait waiiit... Did I just walk into a trap??? Is this because a certain someone got released by a certain Green football team in NY??

JUST SAY NO TO TEBOW

Not at all..i like Tebow as a player, just not at qb. I heard Mak Sanchez threw a going away party for him...but it was intercepted and returned for a touchdown:roflmao:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't spend any time worrying about the backup QB situation. Why? It's pointless. Tell me one FA QB out there that is going to do us an ounce of good in the playoffs if Rodgers goes down.

QBs are the most important and expensive on the team and you just don't see many backups that are viable as long-term solutions. The best you can do is develop a backup in your system and hope he turns into a good one like we did with Flynn and are trying to do with Harrell. There's a reason that Alex Smith and Matt Flynn aren't with their same teams this year. Too expensive of a commodity to invest in more than one. Yes if Rodgers goes down long-term we are screwed. No there is not much we can do about it. I am not particularly confident in Graham Harrell, but his role is simply to hopefully do enough with what he can combined with the ground game and defense to give us a chance if Rodgers misses a couple games. Especially considering he knows the system, there isnt a better availavle option as a short term one or two game solution.

This isn't a unique problem to Green Bay. Name one contender with a franchise QB that still is a Super Bowl contender if said franchise QB is lost for the year.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't spend any time worrying about the backup QB situation. Why? It's pointless. Tell me one FA QB out there that is going to do us an ounce of good in the playoffs if Rodgers goes down.

QBs are the most important and expensive on the team and you just don't see many backups that are viable as long-term solutions. The best you can do is develop a backup in your system and hope he turns into a good one like we did with Flynn and are trying to do with Harrell. There's a reason that Alex Smith and Matt Flynn aren't with their same teams this year. Too expensive of a commodity to invest in more than one. Yes if Rodgers goes down long-term we are screwed. No there is not much we can do about it. I am not particularly confident in Graham Harrell, but his role is simply to hopefully do enough with what he can combined with the ground game and defense to give us a chance if Rodgers misses a couple games. Especially considering he knows the system, there isnt a better availavle option as a short term one or two game solution.

This isn't a unique problem to Green Bay. Name one contender with a franchise QB that still is a Super Bowl contender if said franchise QB is lost for the year.

Houston. TJ Yates did awesome leading them in the playoffs when Schaub got hurt. I think he even won a game versus Cincy. Thats about it tho.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really big on Coleman coming out of school but it was evident he was just not ready as a rookie last year. Big arm but he showed awful accuracy. He could be our backup someday with more training but not this year I'm afraid.

Harrell isn't a world beater but neither was Flynn until that Detroit game. Preseason is way different, I saw him play for a few snaps live two years ago against the Broncos and he looked fine par from a freak interception. Heck, Rodgers wasn't any good coming in for Favre either.

Have to agree with adambr on the fact that no team is really a super bowl threat with their quarterback out for the year, but your forgetting a key fact. Most times quarterbacks are only out for a few weeks and a backup quarterback can be the difference between Leinart/Yates/Cassell and Painter/Webb which could make all the difference in a playoff run.

Reaction score
The packers like to develop theirr qbs. We will see more progression out of Graham and BJ. Flynn wasn't an awesome backup his rookie year but after three years he was very solid. I hope the same will happen to Graham and BJ Coleman

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then you go back to situations where Bledsoe got hurt..enter Tom Brady and the rest is history. Same thing can be said about Trent Green and Kurt Warner. Having a solid backup qb would be a great great thing. Would help me sleep easier at night. :tup:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes....but that's just my point. TJ Yates is just a guy. There's nothing special about him or the stats he put up in 2011. No one is banging down Houston's door to acquire him and make him a starter. He's just a guy who was forced to take over for a really talented offense and knew the offense well enough to keep them competitive with his limited capabilities and win a couple games.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then you go back to situations where Bledsoe got hurt..enter Tom Brady and the rest is history. Same thing can be said about Trent Green and Kurt Warner. Having a solid backup qb would be a great great thing. Would help me sleep easier at night. :tup:

No one had any clue about Brady and Warner when they were forced into action. I think if anyone knew who the next Brady or Warner those they would sign them.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll always be a wash behind Rodgers. I do wish we had gotten a better UDFA than Brown though. Like Scott.

I share the same thought process as you. No backup, regardless of who the Packers would have drafted or signed, will run the offense like Rodgers. It's very hard to replace the best player in the NFL. If Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time, the Packers would be done.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can't make the exception the rule. For every Tom Brady, Kurt Warner or Matt Hasselbeck there are dozens are horrible backup quarterbacks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This. Said it perfect.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anybody on here can honestly say with a straight face they are ok with Graham harrel being the backup i'd like to check your pulse haha. No but seriously, everytime Rodgers gets hit i pray he gets back up because there is just no faith that Harell could lead this team if Rodgers missed time. Let's hope he stays healthy.

Unless you work for the packers and see practice every day you really have very little clue about what kind of players we have in our back ups. Gotta trust the team. Just bc it's not some washed up vet doesn't mean it's not a player just as good if not better.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like every year somebody brings up crap like this. Our backup QB(s) are so-o-o-o inadequate. Let's go get some sloppy seconds from some lesser team. NOBODY is Aaron Rodgers. If he went down, we could replace him with about 25-30 other starting QBs and there would be a big letdown. However, Harrell or Coleman would do a fairly decent job if needed. It would be all out stupid - and very unPacker-like to pick up some veteran QB. At this point, it is about 50/50 IMO between those two. Brown is an intriguing new toy, but I can't see him sticking - unless he can cross-train as a FB or something. Tebow would NOT be horrible to pick up - especially if he committed to playing FB - with use as no more than an emergency QB or occasional wildcat or trick play guy. In any case, it's all good - nothing to get anyone's ******* in a bunch.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you work for the packers and see practice every day you really have very little clue about what kind of players we have in our back ups. Gotta trust the team. Just bc it's not some washed up vet doesn't mean it's not a player just as good if not better.

Exactly. Here is the current list of free agent QB's:

Charlie Batch
Byron Leftwich
Matt Leinart
Jordan Palmer
Trent Edwards
Tim Tebow
Tyler Thigpen
John Parker Wilson
Vince Young

There is no one on that list that is remotely viable as a long-term option in the absence of Rodgers. No, not even if they played in a national championship game in college.

H

HardRightEdge

The purpose of the backup QB is to prevent an 11-5 playoff season from turning into 9-6 non-playoff season in the event Rodgers gets whacked on the head again.

Decent, experienced backups who can step in cold and give you a chance to win are hard to find and not that cheap. For instance, Hasselbeck signed with the Colts for 2 years / $7.25 million which is not exactly chump change...that's close to the average pay of a starting safety or ILB.

Coleman should get every chance to move up to #2. He has the better arm.

Tebow falls somewhere between out-of-the-question and absurd.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have liked to see a low QB pick out of Thompson this year, but I'm also with adambr2 and Ivo610. One could argue that McCarthy has developed a fantastic QB factory for the Packers. Everyone that has stepped into live action has done pretty well for a backup. I'd rather have Harrell or Coleman who has been in the system long enough versus a journeyman QB. I would expect that the Packers will make a decision on Harrell or Coleman this season, let one go, and draft another guy to develop next season.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tebow falls somewhere between out-of-the-question and absurd.

True, but as I've said elsewhere, Green Bay is one of a the good landing spots for Tebow. No quarterback controversy and a good QB staff to train him. The only other two places are New Orleans and New England. I'd add the Broncos, but they've already played that game. . .

I'm not advocating that we sign him, just that we could and it would if nothing else be an interesting experiment. And Tebow's best chance to make it in the NFL with McCarthy teaching him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts