So which RBs do we invite to camp?

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not counting any RB we may draft which RBs do we try to sign and go into minicamps with start the year? I don't believe any the guys we now have are signed for more than this year. Chaz Williams is signed through 2006.

Here are the choices for now: Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher, Samkon Gado, ReShard Lee, Walt Williams, Chaz Williams and we could include William Henderson and Vonta Leach.

1)Who do you think we go after?
2)Who do you think we can get?
3)Who do think we should try to sign?

1)I think in some way they will at least look at signing all of them other than Walt Williams. Never hurts to have too many RBs to start with.

2)Green will be asking for more than GB will be willing to part with. That's assuming he can get healthy.
Najeh will be fairly cheap again due to his injury. So I see a small offer to him.
Fisher is a good 3rd down back in our system I see them trying to get him.
Gado will be focused on but if he keeps playing great will we want to give him the contract others will offer?
I tend to believe they'll try to get Lee for a minimum deal.
Walt will be out of the picture.
Chaz is signed through 2006 so he'll be there for camp at least, if healthy.
Leach is signed through 2006
Henderson, I think we will try to resign him but he may want more than we can part with.

3)With injury and possible contract demands I'd just leave Green alone.
It's getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder about Najeh's ability to stay healthy but if we can get him for a good price he brings a lot of pluses.
I believe Fisher is one of our needs. He is a very good 3rd down/long yardage back. We need to make a point to get him back.
I would like to see us try to sign Gado to a longer contract this year while we have some cap space. It shouldn't take a bunch of money but if he continues to play well it could a competition with other teams to get him back. Sign him now is my mantra.
Lee could probably be had for a small amount and would be at least worth bringing back for a look. Just make sure it's a very small or no signing bonus so it doesn't hurt to cut him.
It sounded like Walt has almost given up on his pro career in a interview after he was put on the IR. We don't want someone like that.
Chaz and Vonta are signed so we'll probably see them next season for a while anyway.
Henderson, again we have to worry about cost but he just keeps taking his job back from all those who try to take it from him. Ya gotta like that. I say we have to try to get him but he may be the hardest to resign other than Green.

What say you?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im forgetting about RBs for now, I am inviting 17 offensive linemen though...and will let them battle for center\guard spots. Wells and Whitticker are doing fine now...but..who knows.

THEN, i invite Gado,Fisher, some FA hopefuls, and probably invite Reggie Bush, since we will have drafted him

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green's recovery is long term. He may be a one season offer but he will not be ready in training camp. I look for Green to be an "emergency" signing by a team after the season begins. Najeh does not get low enough so he may be assessed as an injury waiting to happen and not worth a roster spot.

Otherwise ravage your post is good. There are a lot of questions and the answers will not be found soon.

Draft pick, Gado, Fisher (3rd down back) is how I see 3 roster spots for RB. Henderson and Leach will return but not without overcoming competition.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will probably finish 8-8....7-9 at the worst. Bush is out of the question, especially after we make an amazing playoff run to the Super Bowl.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
We will probably finish 8-8....7-9 at the worst. Bush is out of the question, especially after we make an amazing playoff run to the Super Bowl.

This is what I like from you De Pack, sincerely I hope you are a prophet in your own land !!!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gado is certainly back next season...here's my take...I say he should be tried out at fullback, and also be a situational short-yardage back

Invite Fisher back, he's been around a while, can catch passes and block alright

Davenport--not resigned
Green--not re-signed

I'm sure there's someone out there in free agency who could be our every-down back, you know I'm agaisnt drafting a running back first round

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ahman Green, if he comes back for a price that won't hurt the packers too much, bring him back and let him prove he's the guy we want him to be after the injury

Najeh Davenport, Depends on price if cheap as Green, Najeh is my pick
Tony Fisher, Definetely needed for 3rd downs

Samkon Gado, - Lets see how he finishs the year first

ReShard Lee, - Nope

Walt Williams, - Nope

Chaz Williams - Nope

For sure both of these guys. William Henderson and Vonta Leach.

OP
OP
R

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Reggie Bush.

As of right now Green Bay is tied with 6 other teams at 2-7. I'm pretty sure strength-of-schedule is used to determine draft order with more than 2 teams tied at the same record. As of right now as I figure it GB would have 4th pick. In most of the mocks I've seen for the 2006 draft Bush doesn't make it past the 3rd pick. If we beat Minnesota next week our position drops even further. Tough to draft a guy who has already been drafted.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ravage said:
NDPackerFan said:
Reggie Bush.

As of right now Green Bay is tied with 6 other teams at 2-7. I'm pretty sure strength-of-schedule is used to determine draft order with more than 2 teams tied at the same record. As of right now as I figure it GB would have 4th pick. In most of the mocks I've seen for the 2006 draft Bush doesn't make it past the 3rd pick. If we beat Minnesota next week our position drops even further. Tough to draft a guy who has already been drafted.

Oh, that's right...I forgot that wherever you pick in the draft is where you have to stay. For example, the Packers could never package Aaron Rodgers and their first round pick for Reggie Bush, could they? Sheesh... :roll:

OP
OP
R

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Oh, that's right...I forgot that wherever you pick in the draft is where you have to stay. For example, the Packers could never package Aaron Rodgers and their first round pick for Reggie Bush, could they? Sheesh... :roll:

Do you really believe they would do any kind of package involving Aaron? TT is not one to give up draft picks to move up, he is more likely to obtain more draft picks by moving down.

What player do we have on our roster who is expendable and good enough to move up. I don't see any. And if you're honest with yourself you don't either.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not but with the current RB situation, this may be the year that GB gets aggressive and puts the pieces together for #4 to get one last shot at a ring! Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport should not be in the long term plans for the Packers. Green is getting up there in age for RBs and Davenport hasn't been able to stay healthy. Bush is a game-changer like Tomlinson from the Chargers. It isn't unheard of to move up in the draft, that's all I'm saying. Will the Pack do it? Probably not but you make it sound like it's not even a possibility IMO.

OP
OP
R

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I like DeAngelo Williams(Memphis) a little better than Bush. I'm just a little afraid of Bush's weight and his ability to take the punishment of the NFL. Williams is a very good receiver too which fits in well with WCO. His more compact size could make him a bit less of a injury risk.

This is just my opinion and I am by no means a draft/college football expert. Just a thought to throw out there.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Williams from Memphis will also be a very good RB in the NFL IMO. I think Bush is the most talented by far and will be a multi-pro bowler but by no means would the Packers go wrong by getting Williams. He's very good.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't recall his name but I'll bet that the RB who spells Bush @SC will get lots of interest. He runs with power and IMO would hold up better to the pounding a RB takes in the NFL. I'd like to see him in G & G.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts