So when did "incidental facemasking" become legal?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, I scoured the NFL rules and couldn't find anything ANYWHERE that allows for justification for any facemasking. As soon as that call came, I knew what was to come. I've never seen WRs allowed to openly hold as much as theirs do. It's disgusting. NFL officiating is still a joke.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Definitely a bogus call. But given what transpired right after that call, didn't really make a whole lot of difference.

12theTruth

We scored a TD on the same drive shortly after the play you are referencing. Besides the Packers had far greater problems than poor refereeing tonight. Absence of injured reserve players or poor officiating is NOT why we lost tonight.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Definitely a bogus call. But given what transpired right after that call, didn't really make a whole lot of difference.

No, it didn't. But it could have. Imagine the outrage you'd be hearing on ESPN if it had happened back in the first 3 weeks of the season. But no. They're completely mum on it.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
No one is complaining. This is a fair question regarding that call.

I have never seen it called like that before. I think the officials made it up. Will not be surprised to see this commented on by the NFL at some point.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No one is complaining. This is a fair question regarding that call.

I have never seen it called like that before. I think the officials made it up. Will not be surprised to see this commented on by the NFL at some point.

I would actually be completely surprised if they do. Do me a favor. If you see a statement from them on this, please post it here.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
INCIDENTAL MY CHEEKS!!! His hand just happened to grab the facemask and proceeded to drag our RB down by the helmet, while his eyes stood idly by and watched the whole thing? Willis saw he had the mask and intentionally dragged Fox (Harris) down by it.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Seriously, I scoured the NFL rules and couldn't find anything ANYWHERE that allows for justification for any facemasking. As soon as that call came, I knew what was to come. I've never seen WRs allowed to openly hold as much as theirs do. It's disgusting. NFL officiating is still a joke.
It was another entry in the "Screw the Packers Book"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple years old....But I think it is still in place

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/02/nfl-does-away-with-incidental-facemask-penalty/

There used to be two kinds of face-mask penalties: the incidental foul netted a five yard penalty while the "personal foul" variety was worth 15 yards. The five-yarder is gone and that's a good thing. Now technically all facemask penalties will be worth 15 yards.

Ah! But that penalty will only consist of grabbing or twisting of the facemask.

If you get your hand up there accidentally and not grab it, no penalty will be called.

That helps to get rid of the gray area between what comprised a 5 or 15 yard penalty and penalize all of the tugging and twisting of face-masks in the same manner.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From the Pack Card playoff game few years ago

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/8759/nfl-offers-context-of-face-mask-ruling

As we visually noted Sunday, Arizona cornerback Michael Adams caught his right index finger on Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ facemask. Had a penalty been called, Karlos Dansby's game-winning touchdown would have been nullified.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it also captures a split-second in time. The potential for penalty is far less obvious when watching the play in live speed.

The NFL issued a rules explanation Monday in response to questions about the play. I got my hands on it this afternoon, and its general tone suggests that no illegal act occurred because Adams -- in the judgment of officials -- did not twist, turn or pull Rodgers’ face mask. An inadvertent grab is legal in part because of a 2008 rule revision.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This was entirely different. Harris had his mask grabbed and he was pulled down by it. It was no different than any other typical facemasking. The first official even called the penalty, but he was overruled by the referee who was much further from the play.

The felt this was how hey saw it...Right or wrong..Just like any other judgment call that cant be reviewed...

If you get your hand up there accidentally and not grab it, no penalty will be called.

We know he grabbed it...Refs didnt see it, they screwed it...

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The felt this was how hey saw it...Right or wrong..Just like any other judgment call that cant be reviewed...

We know he grabbed it...Refs didnt see it, they screwed it...

THE LINE JUDGE THREW THE DAMN FLAG! The referee overruled it because he DIDN'T WANT TO CALL IT. Stop sugar-coating the obvious! Why in hell would you overrule someone who had a better look?

I've seen non-calls before, but I have NEVER seen an official overruled on a facemask.... EVER.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
THE LINE JUDGE THREW THE DAMN FLAG! The referee overruled it because he DIDN'T WANT TO CALL IT. Stop sugar-coating the obvious! Why in hell would you overrule someone who had a better look?

I've seen non-calls before, but I have NEVER seen an official overruled on a facemask.... EVER.

I am not sugar coating it..You asked for a reason and I showed you a reason...So please stop trying to be an instigator..

I even said they screwed it....What more do you want from me..damn

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not sugar coating it..You asked for a reason and I showed you a reason...So please stop trying to be an instigator..

I even said they screwed it....What more do you want from me..damn

I'm talking more about motive. It was clear they were simply content to let them do it, even though one official clearly saw it for what it was. It wasn't a simple mistake.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a serious sports gambler and have seen enough from professional (paid) handicappers in my life to know that Tim Donaghy is not a one-of-a-kind unique guy. I believe Lance Eason is another one.

Last night, not sure, as we got some close calls, well at least one not long after that I can recall.
That call was a suspendable offense though.
Facemasks are facemasks. How many are intentional in the first place? Very few.
So for that head zebra to veto it on account of it being "incidental"? That IMO is suspendable, and perhaps fireable.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

I have seen this happen in at least 5 games over the last few years. Didn't surprise me when I saw the reply.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have seen this happen in at least 5 games over the last few years. Didn't surprise me when I saw the reply.

So then how does the conversation go?

Line Judge throws flag.

Ref: "Hey, what's the call?"
LJ: "Facemask."
Ref: "I didn't see any facemasking."
LJ: "I did. He hooked it and didn't let go. That's why I threw the flag."
Ref: "Hmm... I'm going to allow this."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then how does the conversation go?

I'll modify it so that you can see how the conversation might have gone...although based on your rage in this thread, I know that you'll dismiss it like everyone else's comments. However, the league encourages referees to confer and discuss to make sure that all perspectives are considered before a penalty is called:

Line Judge throws flag.

Ref: "Did you see the runner's helmet twist, turn, or pull?"
LJ: "From my perspective, I saw his hand on the facemask but am not sure if the helmet was pulled. I was focused on the hand."
Ref: "From my perspective, I couldn't see the hand so I didn't throw a flag. However, I also did not see the head twist, turn or pull so we won't enforce a facemask penalty."

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
There was that non-call and MANY many many more. We had the game on at my buddies house and he has thatauto record thingy where you can rewind and pause live tv.....we had a hell of a time not throwing a fist into the damn TV......Clay matthews was held 6 times that they didn't call or non-call, and he was chop blocked 2 times that they didn't call......this game was utter BS with **** officials.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll modify it so that you can see how the conversation might have gone...although based on your rage in this thread,

So let me get this straight. Having a problem with the officiating is "rage"? These clown were as bad as ANY officiating crew that took a field this year.

I know that you'll dismiss it like everyone else's comments. However, the league encourages referees to confer and discuss to make sure that all perspectives are considered before a penalty is called:

Line Judge throws flag.

LJ: "From my perspective, I saw his hand on the facemask but am not sure if the helmet was pulled. I was focused on the hand."
Ref: "From my perspective, I couldn't see the hand so I didn't throw a flag. However, I also did not see the head twist, turn or pull so we won't enforce a facemask penalty."

Sorry, I don't buy it. If they didn't see his head pulled down then are incompetent and shouldn't be officiating high school, much less anywhere else. It was the same conscious decision to ignore the obvious that they took on SF's WRs holding our DBs all game long.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'll modify it so that you can see how the conversation might have gone...although based on your rage in this thread, I know that you'll dismiss it like everyone else's comments. However, the league encourages referees to confer and discuss to make sure that all perspectives are considered before a penalty is called:

Line Judge throws flag.

There was a clear downward pull, even a little twist.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are correct. It was insane that they picked up the flag - seems the NFL should look in on this type of thing. This did not cost us anything, but 3 years back it cost us a game against AZ when it was not called.

Overall, I did not see the refs costing us this game. We had some late hits on the 49ers that were not called either. But that is not the point. If they make obviously bad calls, missed calls, or inconsistency like this, it does cost someone a game at some point.

Members online

Latest posts