So what do the Packers need to do to get this turned around?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets keep this post free of the "get a new team and fire Sherman" sort of comments. What, specifically, can the Packers be doing to start winning games?!?

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: So what do the Packers need to do to get this turned aro

Well, they can start by working on their running game. If Green can get over 100 yds it would open up the passing down field. Of coarse the WR's need to run correct routes and get open.

The run defence is coming along good but, the pass D is killing us. Not much pressure on the QB either.

They also don't seem to have any fire. Losing to two bottom of the NFL pickle barrel teams indicates Green Bay is right there with them presently.

Kick off & punt returns looks poor too.

And how much of this is not being prepared on Sunday, coach?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

musccy said:
Lets keep this post free of the "get a new team and fire Sherman" sort of comments. What, specifically, can the Packers be doing to start winning games?!?
Get back to the basics on offense. If you can run the ball, then the other team’s defense is going to tire and you chew up the clock. That is when you go for the pass. They are trying to get 21 points all on one possession. You have to keep that weak defense off of the field as much as possible.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pass defense. we got them to 50 rush yards, which is great. but dilfer got 300+ yards...thats unacceptable. Also a consistent run game...maybe even a game where Ahman gets at LEAST 20 carries. Its a wild theory, i know, but maybe one day...

Another thing we need...a trade. Thomas\Carroll just arent getting it done. I like thomas but...we need guys who are NFl caliber players.

Oh yeah...fire mike "this is a 5 quarter game, right?" sherman

MNPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I did not get to see the first quarter. But from what I saw it looks like putting Caroll back in and taking out Thomas is the key. Thomas looked terrible (and had a penalty that was not accepted). Also you could really see guys pull away from him. On some of Cleveland's big plays it seemed like Thomas looked to be the issue. I saw Caroll make some good tackles.
I think that having Caroll in could have given us the win.

I am usually not a Sherman basher, but when I heard a second hand comment supposeably from Sherman at half time that he wasn't too disapointed with the offense but wanted an interception from the defense, I was not happy. He needs to set the offenses goals higher. I think things will continue to be tough without Walker.

I do not blame Farve or Fergie too much for the interception in the endzone. I think the Cleveland DB made a great play on the ball. I think it was pretty well thrown and not that risky.

Cleveland seemed to be able to counteract whatever we did. I am concerned that we may have been outcoached.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A question about the wrs...they didn't seem to be getting open today, but Simms made a point on some replay about how the routes called were poor ones considering the coverage, and that since that short cross route underneath that worked for DD and Chatman should have been called more often...so, is Simms right?!? Is the playcalling a substantial reason for the WRs not getting open, or are they just not that good?

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score

musccy, I'm afraid you ruled out what needs to be done.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We need to get a good caoch, the point is that we have been outcoached.. sorry but it is the plain horrible truth..

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerTraxx said:
musccy, I'm afraid you ruled out what needs to be done.

Fine, maybe, but then at this point, what needs to be done...do they need to put in Bates (I personally don't think so, I'm just asking the question though)?

I guess I would add that we boot Rossely as far from GB as possible and make sure that Sherman can have no in season contact w/ him.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
Oh yeah...fire mike "this is a 5 quarter game, right?" sherman

just so i wasn't the first person to say this obvious one, but yeah i agree with that

seriously...
-STOP ALL THE PENALTIES, i know some of the calls were poor, but we have to have a few games of good behavior to get the refs to stop looking at everything we do...
-Pass defense, all 11 players...our secondary needs to cover, our front seven needs to get to the QB, we need to keep an eye on the running back on pass plays, way too much freedom in the flat, Droughns got the big first down (as the crowd was chanting reggie)
-get to the QB, Kampman had a nice hit on Dilfer, other than that did we really threaten him? pathetic...
-Most importantly, we need to eliminate the big, gamebreaking plays (Heiden, Edwards), I don't know what we were doing but those were both serious mental lapses that we can not afford to have anymore.
-Have an offensive gameplan and stick to it, get Ahman rolling, he had a few nice catch and runs but not much in terms of running plays.

its not gonna be easy...

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It is very simple.

1. Show up. (Have your game face on 2 hours before game time.)

2. Show up on time. (Do not start to get in sync as a unit on your third trip on the field.)

3. Work a full day. (Do not give up on plays.. Like Joey did on the T.D.)

4. Ask the question. (Every player and coach has to ask "What can I do better.) and then each player needs to write down short term one day, three day, and six day goals in writing. It is not enough for someone to tell you what you need to better you must tell yourself. A personal goal is just a wish or a dream unless it is in writing.

5. Forget about the first two games of the season. Yesterday is history, tomorow is a mystery, but right now your attitude as Green Bay Packers is the begining of how well you will play against the Bucs, it is all about right now, and right now is a gift, that is why right now is called the present.

I do not know much, but I do know this is what every each and every player and coach in that locker room needs to do RIGHT NOW!

R.P.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
It is very simple.

1. Show up. (Have your game face on 2 hours before game time.)

2. Show up on time. (Do not start to get in sync as a unit on your third trip on the field.)

3. Work a full day. (Do not give up on plays.. Like Joey did on the T.D.)

4. Ask the question. (Every player and coach has to ask "What can I do better.) and then each player needs to write down short term one day, three day, and six day goals in writing. It is not enough for someone to tell you what you need to better you must tell yourself. A personal goal is just a wish or a dream unless it is in writing.

5. Forget about the first two games of the season. Yesterday is history, tomorow is a mystery, but right now your attitude as Green Bay Packers is the begining of how well you will play against the Bucs, it is all about right now, and right now is a gift, that is why right now is called the present.

yeah, i wasnt even gonna get into the psychological part of the game, but this team should've been fired up for their home opener, it just sucks...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They need a new coach, one who can instill some fire and demand a quality effort. It was just sickening today to watch that pathetic effort once again.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The run defense has been very awesome. The pass defense has been horrible though. I was with the sit Carroll crowd before but this game showed that he needs to be playing. He had some bad penalties last game but two of them were horrible calls on the refs part but he did hold rogers to one catch for 13 yards. Thomas got burned pretty badly and might have cost them the game. Carroll does a good job of jamming recievers at the line of scrimmage and when I was watching Thomas I noticed that he never touched the reciever. Another thing was the passing game. Favre did pretty good overall but there were way too many passes underneath and he didn't want to throw to anyone other than Driver and the backfield for most of the game. I don't know if it was the other recievers not getting open or bad routes or what but that has to change. I also have been a Sherman supporter but this game really makes me question whether or not he is good enough to coach the packers. They have so much talent and they are too good of a team to lose to the Lions and Browns.

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A loss is a loss, but in the big picture (wide open div., 24 points from the off) Im not that worried. There are other teams in our division with bigger problem.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Barnett had a killer penalty that gave the Browns a 1st down near the goal line where the Browns scored shortly after. Thomas blew a coverage that allowed a score. Roman missed a tackle that allowed a score. Favre had 2 interceptions, one which cost us at least 3 points.

The Packers could have survived any one of those mistakes, maybe two. But you put them all together and they add up to another loss. I don't think you can put the loss on any single player, as several of them played a part in the loss. But that's what makes fixing the problem so hard, because it's not just one problem area that needs fixing.

So I don't know what the answer is, but I hope the Packers can figure it out soon, because the schedule gets tougher as the season goes along :(

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The offense will be fine. The penalties have got to stop. The defense has got to improve. Need to make big stops on third downs and create turnovers.

musccy this is a good question and since you asked for specifics, I will be very, very specific. I have said it all along. We need to get pressure on the QB. Even more specific....we need to get push up the middle from our DT's. Without that push QB's will just step up in the pocket and have all day. No secondary can cover forever. Especially ours.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AZPackerFan, I agree with you. A lot of things going on that need fixing. No single one is to blame for a loss, but collectively they spell L-0-S-S.

Couple other things on my mind.

Favre cannot make mistakes. Ever. That sideline thing to Fergie was a drive stopper.

Fergie says he wants to step up his game and now with Walker out he has to. That endzone interception? Never again. Fergie needs to win that battle with the defender if he wants to be a go-to guy.

Barnett. He can be the defensive leader. Bates' defense gives him the opportunity. But he can't make dumb mistakes like he did in the endzone yesterday. He was in position to make a great play. Just didn't execute properly.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We need to see players be responsible for thier actions. I'm sick of seeing certain players get an automatic free pass. It is now put up or shut up time. Let's see who's a football player or not. Here's my list of players that really need to get thier heads out of thier *****:

1. Nick Barnett. Stupid penalties and always out of position. He only makes all thiose tackles cause he has the speed to catch up and save his own ***. He is constantly making mistakes.
2. Mark Roman. Sit his *** on the bench until he learns to tackle. Broken record. We signed Little to play safety, USE him.
3. Brett Favre. If he wants to be in Mississippi helping to rebuild his house, LET HIM GO. I freaking love the dude, but if he can't give the Packers 100% of his mind, leave.
4. Robert Ferguson. Shut up. He *****ed about getting a chance and what did he do? Squat. He *****ed about not being put into the right position to make plays, what does he do? Squat. Driver excelled where you couldn't. Chatman is out there busting his *** in the 4th quarter and Fergie is invisible. I'm delivering a case of cheese to Fergie this week cause he needs it to go with his whine.
5. Tom Rossley. Why are you not running the U71 package over and over and over? We have 2 RBs that can run power football. Run toss sweeps and pull that guard until we get it right. This 4 yard dump off passing CRAP makes me sick.

Notice nothing about Mike Sherman? He's the least of our problems, guys.

EDIT: I spell like a *****.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you see Little blow his assignment on the first TD? Who's to say he's any better than Roman.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPackerFan said:
Did you see Little blow his assignment on the first TD? Who's to say he's any better than Roman.

Wrong. Little was there for run support and did his job nicely. It is the LBers job to cover the TE. Barnett and Manning screwed that up.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ORRELSE said:
TOPackerFan said:

Wrong. Little was there for run support and did his job nicely. It is the LBers job to cover the TE. Barnett and Manning screwed that up.

Not wrong. Kampman already had Dilfer, we didn't need an extra defender on the QB, we needed him in the end zone covering the TE.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPackerFan said:
ORRELSE said:
TOPackerFan said:

Not wrong. Kampman already had Dilfer, we didn't need an extra defender on the QB, we needed him in the end zone covering the TE.

Have you seen the play? Little was on the line for run support. Watch it again. He pretty much blitzed through the hole and was there (IN POSITION) in case of a run. The TE is covered by the LB on EVERY play. The safety has nothing to do with the TE. The LBers were responsible for that play. Little's assignment was to cover Droughns (or whomever the back was). Barnett was probably the one responsible for Dilfer if he ran a QB draw or something up the middle, which left the ROLB responsible for the TE. Little did his job.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ORRELSE, it looked to me like Little charged through the line well after the play fake when it was quite obvious that the play was not a run, given that there was no RB anywhere near Dilfer. Based on that, I thought Little was wrong to go after Dilfer when Kampman already had containment on him and that Little should have dropped back into coverage. I could be wrong about the timing, but that was what the play looked like to me.

Members online

Latest posts