So....MM still fired?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Answer these questions

#1) play calling better?

#2) did they keep the pedal to the floor entire game?

#3) will the people that wanted him fired, shut up about firing him?

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My personal recollection I have not yelled for MM to be fired. I have yelled and screamed about those things though.

#1) play calling better?
I think you have to say yes. It was stated at the beginning of the game that the Giants were the #2 defense in the league. The Packers put up 500 yards!

Yes! Finally!

I still like him as HC. I dont think the nay sayers will agree unless we dismantle the Bears next week.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Answer these questions

#1) play calling better?

1) Absolutely. But it helps that it's working. We're being able to run decently, and Rodgers and Flynn played really well. When things go as planned, MM is a great playcaller. Still needs to see when the running game doesn't perform, if he's able to adjust.

2) Yes they did, both games. Some players are making some dumb mistakes (Jordy, JJ, Woodson), but it's nowhere near MM's fault.

3) I still want him fired, because, like I said, I still need to see him answer my doubts, about a close game, about adjusting when things don't go well.

Well, I don't want him fired no matter what. Don't think I ever did. I really hope that those areas where he shows inneptitude are corrected, and that we win the SB with him. He's probably the best QB coach in the league, Rodgers is a great product of his system, and it would take a while to implement a new system. Plus, the players seem to really respect him.

I just don't think we can achieve our full potential with MM coaching. But I hope I'm wrong.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always he always prepped the team perfect and kept them focused on the task.

I have to disagree with you here man.
Prepping and Focus have been some of my disappointments with MM.
Last years Tampa Game, this years Lions game. Playing to beat the tar out of the Cardinals and only serving to embarrass them so they played harder in the playoffs last year!

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still saying, with all the injuries, a lesser coach would have been 3-12 now. However, I did predict Pack 31, Giants 17, so I was a little off. Sorry, I still like McCarthy.

L

Lunchboxer

#1) play calling better? Yes it has. No more dumb play calls. All the play calls felt right I did wish they ran kuhn in short yards in the red zone more.

#2) did they keep the pedal to the floor entire game? Yep they never gave up. Even when it was 14-14 pack still poured on the gas to keep the fire lit.

#3) will the people that wanted him fired, shut up about firing him? No. If we destroy the bears next week i say they will shut up.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Answer these questions

#1) play calling better?

do you post about the Packers or the Posters?

Detroit game was still a huge loss, but we gotta keep moving forward

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest complaint from McCarthy critics is his inability to coach during close games. Not sure how this game silences those doubts.

OneHotelFoxtrot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last years Tampa Game, this years Lions game. Playing to beat the tar out of the Cardinals and only serving to embarrass them so they played harder in the playoffs last year!

But if they didn't beat the tar out of them, he probably would have been accused of not having the team prepared to play. But again thats what we get when looking at it in hindsight.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for getting the team ready for this game. A lot of people expected the Giants to come in a take it to the Packers after their collapse last week. The play calling was good (it always has been) and everything just came together. It's a huge win.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Play calling was very good. But, more importantly, execution was better. If Jennings makes the TD catch against Detroit, critics wouldn't be all over him for play calling.

2. No. When Flynn came in, they got conservative.

3. No. Thompson and McCarthy will always be hated by those that sided with Favre in 2008. I don't believe even a Super Bowl victory will shut them up. There will always be some tidbit (e.g. record in close games) that critics will complain about. Unfortunate, but a fact. The only opinion that matters is that of Mark Murphy.

Some people without strong biases (writers and TV announcers) mention him as a potential Coach of the Year.

That's it exactly. And hindsight is so great. If it works, it's a great call, but if it doesn't it sucks no matter who messed up. A lesser coach would have won 2 games this year with all the injuries. Last week we lose to the best team in the league by 4 pts with our backup qb and no one can see the positives.

Reaction score

Bill Belechick lost to the Browns this year. Does that mean he doesn't prep for every game. If you are about to pin the cardinals playoff game on Mike McCarthy you have problems. Just man up and say the Defense got whooped that game.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Play calling was very good. But, more importantly, execution was better. If Jennings makes the TD catch against Detroit, critics wouldn't be all over him for play calling.

2. No. When Flynn came in, they got conservative.

1..No one wants to think about that, it is always MM fault

2...They had 40 secs left? It was mop up time no need to "rub it in"

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't posted here in God knows forever but I just had to when reading this thread. Playcalling is great when it is EXECUTED. When it's not executed, it looks like a horrible play call. Sorry, but this is a huge point of contention with me is when people talk about playcalling...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people need to stop the knee jerk over-reacting. Mike has been a damn good head coach. Not a great play caller and his clock management could use some improvement, but as a head coach, he's been amazing. It takes stones to lead a team who lost 13 guys to IR to a winning record. A lesser coach would be losing right now and looking towards next season, yet here we are, fighting for a playoff spot. Mike McCarthy deserves to take credit for this team's success this season.

bears suck hotline

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, he should not be fired. Very few coaches could make the playoffs with all the injuries. He has prepared the back ups well that are filling in for the original starters. I do think they need to draft a running back in the first round. Jackson is a classy player full of heart, but not a feature back.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been critical of MM but he called a great game today and should get credit for having his team ready to play. Like I have said he conflicts me b/c I see what a great job he does overall but his game management, lack of emphasis on a running game(oh by the way the last 2 weeks he has placed an emphasis on the running game) and the breakdowns in special teams is concerning. If he ever shored up those areas like he has the penalities I would put rate him as a top 5 coach...for now anywhere btw 10-15 but one who should not be on the hot seat.

Reaction score
I have been critical of MM but he called a great game today and should get credit for having his team ready to play. Like I have said he conflicts me b/c I see what a great job he does overall but his game management, lack of emphasis on a running game(oh by the way the last 2 weeks he has placed an emphasis on the running game) and the breakdowns in special teams is concerning. If he ever shored up those areas like he has the penalities I would put rate him as a top 5 coach...for now anywhere btw 10-15 but one who should not be on the hot seat.

He has no control over the special teams. The players who play special teams and the special teams coaches are the ones who are responsible. This is a tough one because we have so many injuries and a lot of those guys played Special Teams.

The only thing I can be critical of him is that he has missed a couple challenges and his managing of the clock hasn't been spot on. In these areas every coach has messed up in. People say that they don't like his play calling. Offense is measured in production and this offense has produced very well. So you can't blame if for offense. Other than that what has he done wrong?

Members online

Latest posts