• Yes

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 61.0%

• Total voters

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
He is doing a great job this year but i felt we should have won more games since he has been here. last year Viking fans were wearing "fire this *******" t-shirts to the dome so it is not just me who does not care for brad Childress. Winning cures all but I thought we were a better team than 6-10 his first year and I thought the Vikings were better than 8-8 his second year and I thought they were a better team than 10-6 last year. He had a chip on his shoulder when people questioned his offense for which he stated he runs a kickass offense but the results have not been there until now.

So far it seems Childress was right ...

When teams don't respect your passing game ... and your team isn't able to execute properly to "punish" those team that does not respect your passing game ... the games tend to become pretty one-sided ...

While Adrian Peterson is a monster of a Running Back, it is difficult to win "enough" games, purely by running ...

During his prior 3 seasons, Childress has tried alot in regards to what to do at the QB position ... which again, might explain why this league didn't see what the Vikings were *really* able to do ... - I'm sorry, but I just can't "blame" Childress, when his quarterbacks are the likes of Tarvaris Jackson (who wasn't really ready to step up at the time, perhaps Tarvaris will really benefit from playing with Favre this season and hopefully also the next), nor having an average player like Gus Ferotte ...

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah ... - So before Childress came ... I have to ask you ...

Did Adrian Peterson play ?
Did Percy Harvin ?
Sidney Rice ?
Phil Loadholt ?

Not to mention bringing in Jared Allen ...
Just to mention some recent additions during Childress tenure, because I'm sure Childress had nothing to do whatsoever with bringing in those guys ?

Again, I agree there has been some play-calling that had me wonder, however, you see that practically in all teams and coaches through out the NFL ... - Well perhaps not and only rarely when it comes to Bill Belicheck (whom I find is probably the best coach during the past long time in the NFL by far over all ...).

My point being ... 4 seasons into Childress tenure, I just think it's a little too harsh to be blaming Childress, when in fact as a coach, Childress has been producing ...

Incidently ... Skolguy ... I think you should give the Vikings a call, perhaps they have a spot for you as an offensive (assistant) coach ?

Also did you consider the possibility of the fact that there might also have been alot of plays in the WC offense and Vikings Play book that Childress wasn't able to get executed with the current other quarterbacks that he had, before signing Favre ? - Perhaps a little similar to the situation the Packers are also currently facing with Rodgers ... ? - Being able to "open up" the play book, does help the team immensely ... not to mention the impact a good leader will have on any team, and those that surrounds him ... - Leadership abilities and play book options that the Vikings prior to a quarterback like Favre, did not have during Childress first 3 years ...
Just so you know,harvin loadholt,Rice and peterson were drafted and the war room is run by rick Spielman and not Brad Childress. Spielman and Studwell should get the credit for those picks The head coach does not pick who the Vikings pick up in the draft. This is not a Holmgren setting or a parcells setting as GM/Head coach like some teams have.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Just so you know,harvin loadholt,Rice and peterson were drafted and the war room is run by rick Spielman and not Brad Childress. Spielman and Studwell should get the credit for those picks The head coach does not pick who the Vikings pick up in the draft. This is not a Holmgren setting or a parcells setting as GM/Head coach like some teams have.

Without knowing ... I have a very difficult time believing that the head coach doesn't get his input taking into consideration when it comes to the draft ... Regardless of what franchise we are speaking of ...

No franchise is run like that ... - Yes, the Coach doesn't make the picks, however, to say that the coach doesn't have a say would be naive ...

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far it seems Childress was right ...

When teams don't respect your passing game ... and your team isn't able to execute properly to "punish" those team that does not respect your passing game ... the games tend to become pretty one-sided ...

While Adrian Peterson is a monster of a Running Back, it is difficult to win "enough" games, purely by running ...

During his prior 3 seasons, Childress has tried alot in regards to what to do at the QB position ... which again, might explain why this league didn't see what the Vikings were *really* able to do ... - I'm sorry, but I just can't "blame" Childress, when his quarterbacks are the likes of Tarvaris Jackson (who wasn't really ready to step up at the time, perhaps Tarvaris will really benefit from playing with Favre this season and hopefully also the next), nor having an average player like Gus Ferotte ...
Hello, your proving my point because it was brad Childress who wanted and begged for spielman to draft him. Duante Culpepper was the QB when Childress was signed and they didn't get along. T-Jack falls on him.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Hello, your proving my point because it was brad Childress who wanted and begged for spielman to draft him. Duante Culpepper was the QB when Childress was signed and they didn't get along. T-Jack falls on him.

Actually you are proving *my* point ... - Because you just said that Childress didn't draft players ... >.<

Again it would seem you are rather arguing "just to argue", rather than to actually discuss ...

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without knowing ... I have a very difficult time believing that the head coach doesn't get his input taking into consideration when it comes to the draft ... Regardless of what franchise we are speaking of ...

No franchise is run like that ... - Yes, the Coach doesn't make the picks, however, to say that the coach doesn't have a say would be naive ...
what? when did i say he had no input? Spielman is the main man in the Vikings war room. Actually the Vikings usually go after the best available athlete left on the board. There is actually 5 guys in the war room on draft day and guess what Childress is not one of them. Just because a pick is made does not mean they went over with the coach. Really if you think about it guys sign contracts longer than many coaches do

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually you are proving *my* point ... - Because you just said that Childress didn't draft players ... >.<

Again it would seem you are rather arguing "just to argue", rather than to actually discuss ...
WTF are you talking about? surely you can't be this ignorant. He wanted T-Jack out of Alabama state as a QB he could mold into his type of QB. Those were his exact words. Spielman had no desire for a Div.1AA qb but did as the new coached asked. You think that Chilly wanted AP and Spielman didn't want him? Seriously you talked like T-jack was here before Childress and he wasn't because Duante Culpepper was the Vikings QB when Childress signed on to coach the Vikings. So do you really think the Vikings would sign over the war room to a first time head coach just like that? I doubt it because why wouldn't you need a guy like Spielman if your head coach runs your draft for you.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that Chilly, Madden, and Spielman have collected some of Favre's DNA and have already began making several clones of him so they are set after Favre retires when he is 50.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I already made my vote. I think it is Montana, because he has it all: stats, SB wins, SB MVPs, League MVPs...

Stole my post.

2) Brady already. And he could win a couple more Super Bowls.
3) Otto Graham. Winning % cannot be denied.
4) Favre. All those records cannot be denied.
5) Peyton. I don't know that anybody's played the postition better. Ever. He just doesn't have the resume...yet. He wins a Super Bowl again, i'll put him up near Brady.

And this list exemplifies why i'm probably most excited about the Pats/Colts game next week. Pack/Girls included because I'm 99% sure it'll be an embarrassing loss.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? surely you can't be this ignorant. He wanted T-Jack out of Alabama state as a QB he could mold into his type of QB. Those were his exact words. Spielman had no desire for a Div.1AA qb but did as the new coached asked. You think that Chilly wanted AP and Spielman didn't want him? Seriously you talked like T-jack was here before Childress and he wasn't because Duante Culpepper was the Vikings QB when Childress signed on to coach the Vikings. So do you really think the Vikings would sign over the war room to a first time head coach just like that? I doubt it because why wouldn't you need a guy like Spielman if your head coach runs your draft for you.
Hate to burst your bubble Skolguy, but Spielman had nothing to do with the draft until 2007. Jackson was drafted in 2006. Fran Foley was the man in the "Triangle of Authority" as they call it. It's Spielman, Brzeziski,Childress that make the calls in the draft room for the Vikings these days.

The Vikings have a "triangle of authority" on personnel decisions in which Childress, Spielman and Rob Brzezinski, vice-president of football operations, have equal says and veto power.
Favre rumors persist - JSOnline

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble Skolguy, but Spielman had nothing to do with the draft until 2007. Jackson was drafted in 2006. Fran Foley was the man in the "Triangle of Authority" as they call it. It's Spielman, Brzeziski,Childress that make the calls in the draft room for the Vikings these days.

Favre rumors persist - JSOnline
wrong as spielman came in before Childress and Childress brought in T-Jack so your pwnd. It was Spielman, studwell and Jeff diamond in the war room for the vikings. Childress was not in the draft room when choices were made and do you really think they hired Childress and then he took charge of the draft? Get serious he was a lame duck coach one year ago from today. It is Spielman and Brezeziski now but Spielman has been the director of players personal and has been the main cog in the draft room since day one!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
wrong as spielman came in before Childress and Childress brought in T-Jack so your pwnd. It was Spielman, studwell and Jeff diamond in the war room for the vikings. Childress was not in the draft room when choices were made and do you really think they hired Childress and then he took charge of the draft? Get serious he was a lame duck coach one year ago from today. It is Spielman and Brezeziski now but Spielman has been the director of players personal and has been the main cog in the draft room since day one!
Fran Foley was hired Jan. 27, 2006 as "Director of Personal". He had been on the San Diego staff up until that point. He signed a three year contract and was fired 3 months into. Spielman was the Vikings general manger at the time.
Spielman assumed the Vikings’ Vice President of Player Personnel role on May 30, 2006 and will be responsible for overseeing the Vikings’ pro and college scouting departments.
Notice the date, after the draft in 2006. But hey, maybe the Vikings have it wrong on his bio page at:Minnesota Vikings: Rick Spielman

CheeseHead88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Favre is in that group of elite QB's, but he is not the greatest of all-time. A guy who is the all-time leader in career interceptions can't be heralded as the greatest QB to ever play, unless he has 3 or 4 Super Bowl rings... which Favre doesn't.

Now, if he can come back and win another ring this year? That certainly helps his case. But until then, he only won 1 championship, so no. You have to put guys like Montana, Elway, Bradshaw and maybe even Brady ahead of him. Also, I would put Marino and Peyton Manning ahead of Favre. But he is in that group of elite QB's, and that alone is a worthy accomplishment.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could someone please shut the door?!!?!!!?? These pesky vermin are all over the place in here.:comando:

:viksux:

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Favre is in that group of elite QB's, but he is not the greatest of all-time. A guy who is the all-time leader in career interceptions can't be heralded as the greatest QB to ever play, unless he has 3 or 4 Super Bowl rings... which Favre doesn't.

Now, if he can come back and win another ring this year? That certainly helps his case. But until then, he only won 1 championship, so no. You have to put guys like Montana, Elway, Bradshaw and maybe even Brady ahead of him. Also, I would put Marino and Peyton Manning ahead of Favre. But he is in that group of elite QB's, and that alone is a worthy accomplishment.
agreed, bling bling is a way to prove your wealth and one ring puts you on par with many.

Lambeau Leaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marino won nothing so he shouldn't even be mentioned in this company. Montana was the best but Favre was / is the best to watch. So much camp melodrama.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole career interception record is a bit overplayed. The guy has been playing for 19 years and during that time you throw picks. Montana threw picks, Elway threw picks , Brady and Manning throw picks as well.

His interception percentage which has been discussed is better than several HOF QB's even better than one Bart Starr who many have said is better than favre.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole career interception record is a bit overplayed. The guy has been playing for 19 years and during that time you throw picks. Montana threw picks, Elway threw picks , Brady and Manning throw picks as well.

His interception percentage which has been discussed is better than several HOF QB's even better than one Bart Starr who many have said is better than favre.
I think your splitting hairs when your trying to disect HOF qbs. No way to gage it other than results in my mind. Brady has to be figured in with 3 rings as bradshaw with four. Bradshaw had the steel curtain but he held up his end of the deal so really their is an arguement for many. He has been better for longer than anybody but with one ring he is in the mix but not a clear cut choice IMO

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your splitting hairs when your trying to disect HOF qbs. No way to gage it other than results in my mind. Brady has to be figured in with 3 rings as bradshaw with four. Bradshaw had the steel curtain but he held up his end of the deal so really their is an arguement for many. He has been better for longer than anybody but with one ring he is in the mix but not a clear cut choice IMO
No one is a clear cut choice as being the all-time greatest QB as that applies to all positions in the NFL. It is all a matter of opinion.

Members online

Latest posts