So close... Yet so far away.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like all WI sports teams are inches away from winning it all.

Badgers, bucks, Packers, Brewers.

All of them. Yet when it counts, it feels like we are miles away every time.

I'm exhausted rooting for Wisconsin sports teams lately.

Goodnight everyone.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were a fraud this season just like the Badgers. I have been saying all season any team with Lancaster and Lowry starting on the d line wss going to be manhandled. Not getting any production from the 12th pick in the draft really hurt this team. Especially tonight.
The roster has huge holes and it shows. D line is a mess and so is TE and WR. Linebacking is garbage as well.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be a douchy Bear fan online laughing at our lack of success in the NFC Championship game.... YET our only NFC Championship win in the Rodgers era was at your ****** field :D. Not to mention your entire franchise has 9 playoff wins since 1985, and Aaron Rodgers has 10. Vikings aren't much better with 11 since 1985 :D

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were a fraud this season just like the Badgers. I have been saying all season any team with Lancaster and Lowry starting on the d line wss going to be manhandled. Not getting any production from the 12th pick in the draft really hurt this team. Especially tonight.
The roster has huge holes and it shows. D line is a mess and so is TE and WR. Linebacking is garbage as well.

And the quarterbacking is slipping. I guess when you factor all of that in, it makes MLF one hell of a fricking coach, eh?

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the quarterbacking is slipping. I guess when you factor all of that in, it makes MLF one hell of a fricking coach, eh?

Agree.

I think MLF did a helluva job all things considered.

But I think we may have more holes than we think if AR doesn't "right the ship" next year...

Very eerily similar ending as to Brett...

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree.

But I think we may have more holes than we think if AR doesn't "right the ship" next year...

Don't get me wrong. I think Rodgers is still a very good quarterback. But as far as being on a whole other level? He's just not that guy anymore.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I think Rodgers is still a very good quarterback. But as far as being on a whole other level? He's just not that guy anymore.

Yeah it's been eerily similar to the way Brett ended his career... is his mind "somewhere else"? who knows?

Most of the physical ability is still there though, there were two INCREDIBLE throws he made to Davante tonight that not many guys can make. The one off his backfoot to the sideline and the deep ball(that was maybe 60 yards?) on the money....

But yeah I don't think he has "it" anymore.

I'll give credit to Pat Mahomes though, I saw that game and he literally just "put the Chiefs on his back" and made plays to get them to the Super Bowl so hats off to him

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's been eerily similar to the way Brett ended his career... is his mind "somewhere else"? who knows?

Most of the physical ability is still there though, there were two INCREDIBLE throws he made to Davante tonight that not many guys can make. The one off his backfoot to the sideline and the deep ball(that was maybe 60 yards?) on the money....

But yeah I don't think he has "it" anymore.

No, not on anything close to a consistent basis anyway. He used to play every game with a fearlessness to him. I haven't seen that for more than a few short spurts in a long time.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree.

Perhaps this team needs to stop simply relying on AR12 to do the whole damn thing because at his age and at this stage, that can't go on. Adams, Lazard, and our two RBs are certainly our guys, but beyond them, any one of our offensive players should be warned they can be upgraded on.

Now, if a good QB is there in this draft and the opportunity comes to get him, I'll say yeah go for it. But we gotta remember any QB we get will probably be a few years of a project and not an overnight star.

But I'd say more so, it's pretty likely we'll have a shot at a highly talented WR this draft, and if we do, we gotta take it. If the beast ILB is there first, then grab him, but we can't afford to put the offense on hold any more.

Swagger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jace Sternberger made a couple of nice plays in recent weeks even aside from the touchdown last night. Just back from IR - he could be a bit of a game changer next season.

Yes Rodgers struggled at times last night but QB isn't the biggest area of need - our run defense was horrific and we have no chance until that gets addressed for starters. Defensive Tackle and Linebacker look our biggest needs heading into this draft.

We still won 13 regular season games so something went right at times during the season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need 2 DT starters, 2 linebackers, 2WR with one starter and a TE. Those are a lot of holes to fill not to mention another OT to replace Bulaga should Gute decide to kick him to the curb. That's a huge number of holes to fill for a team that got embarrassed twice by the Niners.

Swagger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one dt..and one legit stud lb and wr in free agency

Agree,

Re the TE spot, Jace Sternberger showed up nicely after being put on IR early doors.

He could make a big jump next season.

The 49ers are arguably the best team in the NFL and I think they will win the Superbowl. So yes well beaten in both games but a lot can happen during the closed season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one dt..and one legit stud lb and wr in free agency
That's a tall order for picking 30th. I remember when the 30th pick was a second round pick in the early 90's. In actuality, the 30th pick is a glorified 2nd round pick. I would go WR at 30. The position is so deep, they can still get a good player. Its going to be difficult, however, to fill so many roster holes picking at the end of each round.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a tall order for picking 30th. I remember when the 30th pick was a second round pick in the early 90's. In actuality, the 30th pick is a glorified 2nd round pick. I would go WR at 30. The position is so deep, they can still get a good player. Its going to be difficult, however, to fill so many roster holes picking at the end of each round.
OK then tank for 3 years to get like the niners

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like all WI sports teams are inches away from winning it all.

Badgers, bucks, Packers, Brewers.

All of them. Yet when it counts, it feels like we are miles away every time.

I'm exhausted rooting for Wisconsin sports teams lately.

Goodnight everyone.

The Milwaukee Bucks are an f'ing unbelievable team that almost made it to the Finals last year on their first attempt and are killing it this year. Don't include them in that list.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tanking is a losers gamble. I'd never ever support for my team to tank a season.

And asking for a tank even before season starts....I have no words!
I don't think he's advocating for tanking, just making a point that teams get this good for a reason.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tanking is a losers gamble. I'd never ever support for my team to tank a season.

And asking for a tank even before season starts....I have no words!
I agree.

Camp make comment it's hard to fill holes picking at end of draft.

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not comparing our sports teams to others who are perennial losers. I for one find it easier to not be so invested when our teams were epically bad.

Now that all of them are like at the B+/A- cusp, all at once, it's difficult to see us get 1 game (literally one game, in all those sports) from being in a championship or the CFP (if not for game 7dodgers, game 7raptors, osu, sea in 14, ATL in 16, and now SF in 19).

It's mentally draining to have to assume over and over we are just 1 play short, and worse...

That we always seem to lose UGLY, against the grain, "this has never happened in [name your sport] before" fashion.

And yes, that includes last year's Bucks, who overachieved, and still **** the bed when it counted. Sounds familiar? That's because WI sports teams all do it, annually recently.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking it, but it's the way I see it.

Members online

Latest posts