so after day one we'll say we have 25 mil after shields

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You know what else is not awesome? Posting crap like this:
But my question was serious all of this money tt doesnt spend, where does it go?
Since you post that is a serious question, you've got a lot to learn about the NFL.

OP
OP
D

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okay mr. wizard why dont you teach me about the NFL then. all teams have we will say 130 million to spend correct? lets say the giants have not used 20 million of it, where does it go? that is correct into the mara family fund and goes back into their pocket. all teams have the option to spend the money, whether or not they spend any or all is up to them, and if they choose not to spend that money stays in their pockets. please sir, correct me if im wrong.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It goes back into the pot and is carried over to next season. You don't want to blow your *** of cash completly each season. You have to save some for re-signing key core players down the road and to make sure that you have $$$ padding. Teams like dallas and washington are in cap space hell because they overspent and also owe players big money who have left of are set to leave. That money owed causes a hit to their cap space. I don't know all there is to know about the cap and all the finer points of it, but being here has def helped me understand it better. There are many websites out there that break it all down for ya.

OP
OP
D

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thank you oshkosh, at least your not just a big internet meanie like vainisi. but are you sure thats right? i am almost certain if team x has 10 million left over they cant use it next year. saying that they have 140 million to use while team z has only 130.

D

Deleted member 6794

thank you oshkosh, at least your not just a big internet meanie like vainisi. but are you sure thats right? i am almost certain if team x has 10 million left over they cant use it next year. saying that they have 140 million to use while team z has only 130.

Yes, teams can roll over not used cap dpace to the next season. The Packers didn't use $9.8 million of cap space last year which was added for 2014.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yes, there is a roll over amount of money allowed. Just as there is a certain amount that a team HAS TO spend each season. I am unsure of the amount allowed to be rolled over, but teams like Miami had 33+ million extra this year, thus why they are so active in free agency signings. Also the browns had a butt ton of cap space to play with as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, there is a roll over amount of money allowed. Just as there is a certain amount that a team HAS TO spend each season. I am unsure of the amount allowed to be rolled over, but teams like Miami had 33+ million extra this year, thus why they are so active in free agency signings. Also the browns had a butt ton of cap space to play with as well.

That is actually not correct.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah your right I should just move on from the team that ive followed for 20 years good call clown. I am glad you can speak up for each and every packer fan in saying that winning division titles and going 15-1 is awesome. You know whats not awesome is having the best qb in the game and because of our reluctance to actually play physical we get bounced every year after one round of the playoffs. ALL of us packer fans expect more than that. Browns fan look for .500 seasons, jags fans look for more than 4 wins in a season. Us packer fans are bred and told we have what it takes to be a dynasty year after year and it gets old hearing the same excuses game after game

Okay, enjoy your entitled whining then. Complain about how horrible TT is in one breath and then about how we're wasting the best QB in the game in the next. It's not like TT had anything to do with us getting the best QB in the game. Or the best defensive player we've had since Reggie White. Yeah, TT has done nothing for this team, especially since all that matters is picking up big names like trading cards to placate whiny fans.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
thank you oshkosh, at least your not just a big internet meanie like vainisi.
Well if I’m the internet meanie, after reading your first two posts on this thread, you’re the internet dunce. You are obviously ignorant about (at least) the workings of the NFL salary cap. But here’s the good news – you can change that. The great thing about the internet is it makes an incredible amount of information available at your fingertips.

Here’s the CBA available for download: https://www.nflplayers.com/about-us/CBA-Download/
Here’s one of probably hundreds of good sites on the NFL: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/

This forum has a search feature, use it and you’ll find links to more information. And regarding carrying over unused cap amounts, read some articles about the Packers salary cap situation.
– Yours truly, The Internet Meanie

OP
OP
D

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well since i am a dunce, why dont you tell me in simple form because you are the all mighty and know everything. im glad you can do a google search, and feel free to skim through the cba download and you wont find anything about the question i have asked that i am apparently so dumb for asking.
– Yours truly, The Internet Dunce

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, enjoy your entitled whining then. Complain about how horrible TT is in one breath and then about how we're wasting the best QB in the game in the next. It's not like TT had anything to do with us getting the best QB in the game. Or the best defensive player we've had since Reggie White. Yeah, TT has done nothing for this team, especially since all that matters is picking up big names like trading cards to placate whiny fans.

I'll add and say two of the best defensive players since Reggie. And three if there wasn't an unfortunate injury.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What are the odds of going into camp we still have 25 mil left if not more. For tt being so great at what he does I will agree. He is number one in keeping us gullible and naive fans thinking he will actually try and improve this team. I honestly dont think we ever talked to any top tier free agents. I wonder how many millions of dollars tt makes a year off of us believing that we are more than just a mediocre team?
The latest I could find without doing all the leg work for you is from 2011:
Both Thompson and McCarthy signed new five-year contracts in January 2008. At the time, Thompson's deal averaged about $2 million and McCarthy's deal averaged about $4 million.
Thompson's average annual compensation climbed to about $2.5 million, according to sources, and McCarthy's will jump to about $5 million.
Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/116282714.html#ixzz2vnK4LdPn
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

You also asked where the money not spent on players goes.
Packers profits are reinvested into those renovations [stadium ed.] as well as community and charitable purposes. It also goes into reserves, which now stand at $254 million.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/On-The-Ground/2013/07/Packers.aspx

I see that you call yourself a yooper. I guess not all trolls live UNDER the bridge.
EDIT: Okaaaaay, you changed your location after I posted this. I will give you credit for not following up on the last statement afterwards.

Last edited:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson gets to keep all the money he doesn't spend. Its in his contract. And, if he wins a Superbowl, he has to pay a fine of $23M. That is why he is so cheap. He screwed up when they actually won the SB and he is in debt up to his earballs.
Nearly brought me to tears. Thank you! :laugh:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest I could find without doing all the leg work for you is from 2011:

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/116282714.html#ixzz2vnK4LdPn
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

You also asked where the money not spent on players goes.http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/On-The-Ground/2013/07/Packers.aspx

I see that you call yourself a yooper. I guess not all trolls live UNDER the bridge.
EDIT: Okaaaaay, you changed your location after I posted this. I will give you credit for not following up on the last statement afterwards.
What?

H

HardRightEdge

What are the odds of going into camp we still have 25 mil left if not more.

The chance of that is effectively zero.

To repeat for the ?th time, we have a very young team to begin with and 20 FAs. We're not going to replace all of these guys with rookies, far from it.

So far, only 2 FAs have been signed (Shields, Neal). Lattimore is probably a 3rd. having been given the low tender at $1.431 mil with the Packers having right of first refusal (but no pick compensation).

There's still a long way to go.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The chance of that is effectively zero.

To repeat for the ?th time, we have a very young team to begin with and 20 FAs. We're not going to replace all of these guys with rookies, far from it.

So far, only 2 FAs have been signed (Shields, Neal). Lattimore is probably a 3rd. having been given the low tender at $1.431 mil with the Packers having right of first refusal (but no pick compensation).

There's still a long way to go.

I think I've given up trying to explain to people that free agency lasts longer than a day. Apparently, no player has ever been good after being signed after 1 day of free agency....

They are either choosing to ignore that it's longer or don't understand what it means.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought teams need to spend 89%?

I have said that repeatedly, teams have to spend 89% of the total amount of the cap over a four year span (2013-2016 and again from 2017-2020) IN CASH. The Packers dished out $160 million in cash with the cap being $123 million, so that shouldn't be a problem
for them.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
That is actually not correct.

Well, please show me that then. I have read that there is a NFL wide average that a team must meet/spend..... unless it was misunderstood by me.

EDIT*

So captainWIMM, I am technically correct then, right..!!?? If a team does not spend X amount, they wont meet said specified average......so......

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, please show me that then. I have read that there is a NFL wide average that a team must meet/spend..... unless it was misunderstood by me.

See post #44. In addition, here´s the paragraph out of the CBA:

For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013–2016 and 2017–2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013–16 and 2017–2020 are $100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)

D

Deleted member 6794

well then, I was right.....they have to spend a certain amount to be able to meet a 4 year period average. How was I incorrect? Just wondering.

There is no certain amount a team has to spend each season. The Packers dished out $160 million in cash last season so if the cap will rise as expected to $140 miliion in 2015 and $150 million in 2016 they will only have to spend another $325 million in cash over the next three years (or less than 77% of the total cap over the three year period).

Members online

Latest posts