1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ohiopacker, Feb 25, 2006.

1. ohiopacker

ohiopacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember watching the highlites of Super Bowl 1 and seeing Phi Bengston puffing on a smoke on the sidelines during the game . Can you imagine the uproar it would be if that happened today ?? :shrug:

2. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Smoking is no longer accepted everywhere in public places, like it was in the '60's. Smoking at Lambeau Field is only allowed in a certain designated area. It is strictly enforced by Packer security and the offending person can be ticketed. Phil Bengston was a chain smoker.

3. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    no doubt, ohio - i mean the utter SCANDAL that smoking in public has become - he'd be fined by the nfl, chided by every news outlet known to mankind, & sent into exile!! j/k!!! :lol: :lol: :p

4. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh its to bad that they didnt know what it did to you back then Its good we do now smoking is gross

5. Schmitty

Schmitty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a smoker, except for a good stogie now and then, but I say let the people who smoke, smoke. :thumbsup:

6. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No smoking stinks is bad for everyones health not just the smoker.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, it is bad for a person's health. But so is drinking beer, or Liquor, and obesity. So, should we close all bars and liquor stores, and grab the "Big Mac" out of all fat people's hands? For that matter, what about all the STD's being spread around. Should we stop all the people that sleep around from doing so? (That wouldn't be a bad idea!)
    Yes, smoking is bad for your health.........but it's not illegal, and IF it's NOT in an area where it's being forced onto people who don't smoke (as in second hand smoke) i say it's a person's right to do so. I don't like smelling other people's smoke, but in most places thats not an issue anymore, as most places have smoking bans. My Grandpa smoked and drank till he died at the age of 87. Would he have lived longer if he hadn't smoked? I don't know. But it made him happy, so i didn't question him.
    It IS better if the person quits, thats for sure. But it's up to the individual to decide for themselves. As long as it doesn't affect other people, it's their call in my view.

8. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    smoking is great.

they never tell the kids about all the vitamins in cigarettes...thats right, the vitamins!

listen up kids, smoking will increase your cool potential 10 fold, and ignore those anti-smoking commercials. it's actually good for you!

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOLOL!!! :lol:
    It's funny that the cigarette companies are backing "anti smoking" ads. Like they REALLY mean it, hey? :wink:
    I in NO way said smoking is good, or that people should start. I smoked 3 packs a day 20 plus years ago. I quit cold turkey. At almost 4 bucks a pack, i couldn't AFFORD to smoke today!!! :lol:

It's up to the individual..........hopefully everyone quits. I just don't think a person should be treated like a second class citizen if they choose to smoke. It's a HARD habit to quit. Only people that have gone through that know what it's like. I only smoked for about 3 years, and STILL it was hard to stop. It takes ALOT of willpower to quit that nasty habit. And they didn't have the nicotine patches and stuff back then that they have now.
    Hopefully everyone will stop smoking, and close down the cigarette companies. Thats what i hope......but i doubt it will happen.

10. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    These views may not represent the opinions or policies of packerforum.com, nor its agents, officers, directors, or employees.

11. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    hahaha..cheesey, i smoke. a lot. i enjoy the hell out of it.

i meant everything i said...ok not the vitamins part, but noone can deny it makes you cooler. :lol:

seriously though, if somebody has a problem with me smoking, i just smile politely and tell them to go **** themselves. :lol:

12. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If I'm out at a bar or similar establishment, I expect smoke. If I am out to dinner or at a game like at Lambeau, I am not interested in breathing in second hand cancer stick. If I wanted to have the associated health problems I would be burnin' down a pack a day, first hand.

13. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    man, you are definitely not cool. :lol:

14. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    :looks in mirror: certainly not cool :) And I certainly don't smoke :D

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I have been on BOTH sides of this............no, it does NOT make you look "cool"..............and it's for SURE not good for you.
    (To look cool, Arrow would have to smoke a WHOLE pack at once!!!)LOLOL!!! J/K!!! :lol:

16. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    ha lol ... smoking = cool... rrrrriiight

having that cig dangling out of a mouth is jus so freakin hawt!! i wish i could kiss an ashtray mouth everyday...arrow?

17. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    ehh..mouthwash, altoids, etc.

smoking will never decrease my...ummmmm ratio.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey......that could be a POSITIVE!!! You can't get a girl pregnant, if all your......uh...."ratio" is dead!!! :wink: :lol:
    (For those that don't get it........i'm being sarcastic! Don't want some kid starting smoking as birth control!)

19. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    the reason you see those stop smoking ads from phillip morris is because the federal government made them in an agreement to stop the lawsuits. That is the only product I've ever know that the government not only banned from advertising on television, but mandated them to tell people to stop using their product. Lawsuits were also allowed by people who ignored the surgeon generals warning printed on EVERY pack since the early 60's. The ironic part is that the people who tried to sue the fast food chains for making them obese were dismissed because they chose to eat alot making them that way. It's a double standard when the tobacco companies were sued for selling a harmful product that told you right on the package that is could hurt you. It's also the only legal drug that in no way affects your judgement. You could smoke a whole pack in an hour and drive a car no problem. Yet, it's users are among the most crucified in the U.S.

20. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    :watches to make sure this isn't going to become a political uproar thread:

21. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't trying to be political. It just cracks me up that an addictive drug that in no way affects your judgement can be crucified by society while a drug that kills innocent bystanders (alchohal) instantly is just let go. Second hand smoke can be harmful to others, but only over a period of time. Drunk driving and other bad decisions made by people under the influence of alchohal can be a much faster and fatal harm to others. I'm not trying to pick sides, I drink and smoke. I just don't see why the one that doesn't affect your judgement is deemed worse for us by society than the one that may cloud your decision making.

22. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    they tried to take our beer away a while back...thousands of speakeasy's and bootleggers later they learned, never get in between a man and his drinky-drink.

not to mention they unintentionally funded the mob in doing so, they had to take that power away somehow...its all politics baby!

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Look today at how many taxes they put on things like alcohol, and smoking. It's another way to get revenue.
    It's true that drinking and driving kills alot of people. Thats why they have cracked down on people for being under the influence today. .08 and you are off to jail.
    You can't take everything away from people that might hurt them...........unless you want to stick everyone in a rubber room so they don't get hurt. I just read where 25 people have died on snowmobiles in Wisconsin so far this season..............i deer hunt, where there are close to 700 THOUSAND people with loaded guns running around the state at the same time, and there might be a couple people killed each year.
    Guess we have to outlaw snowmobiles!
    To me it makes as much sense as having a law that says you have to wear a seatbelt when being in a car, but if you drive a motorcycle, you don't have to wear a helmet! (I think it's just so the ambulance drivers don't have to LOOK for the bodies!) :wink:
    As long as smoking is legal, people should be allowed to do it. It might be DUMB, but they should be allowed.
    "Prohibition" worked real well, didn't it? :wink:

24. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Big3 smoking can kill the innocent too but just at a slower rate like if a child lives with smoking parents he could die of lung cancer in 5 years

25. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    licking a bear's foot can cure it.

(lets not post things we can't prove k?)