Smith Signings

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! Could you have asked for more of a home run signing by Gute so far?

Incredible!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Could not agree more. Also something needs to be said for having some cajones to move on from Nick Perry and that massive contract and not resigning CM3. Nick Perry is still a free agent and CM3 is having a great year in LA statistically, but stats do not show the whole story. The 2014 NFC championship was classic CM3. Playing an incredible first half, then voluntarily sitting out because he was "fatigued" the majority of the second half. Some blame Brandon Botstick for that loss. I blame CM3.

To go out, spend lots of dough on two guys that became immediate impact players and significant upgrades to Perry and CM3 is incredible. The packers have made the right moves on defense. Next year its time to make the right moves on offense. I would like to see a WR in the first round, ILB in the second and tackle in the third. Jonathon Taylor is of course a guy I would like to see in GB as Jones, Williams and JT would be unstoppable. Getting a dynamic WR is of priority at this time.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not agree more. Also something needs to be said for having some cajones to move on from Nick Perry and that massive contract and not resigning CM3. Nick Perry is still a free agent and CM3 is having a great year in LA statistically, but stats do not show the whole story. The 2014 NFC championship was classic CM3. Playing an incredible first half, then voluntarily sitting out because he was "fatigued" the majority of the second half. Some blame Brandon Botstick for that loss. I blame CM3.

Is it bad if Nick sets all year, I'd be all for bringing him back cheap for back up help. His body is beat up, but clearly the dude ain't pulling in a big contract....be curious to see how the future plays out for him.

You are right though Gute did some big things many weren't fan of or were just uncomfortable..and it was just CM3 and Perry...Daniels being let go. This next year I sense we might see something similar sadly with us not agreeing to a figure for Bulaga to stay....but we shall see.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry can play for someone else, i dont' care how cheap he is, we've given him enough money in this lifetime and I'd rather see Fackrell re-signed by a lot

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry can play for someone else, i dont' care how cheap he is, we've given him enough money in this lifetime and I'd rather see Fackrell re-signed by a lot

Business side of me would rather have a cheap Perry as back up than pay too much for Fackrell as one. Gary is the lead back up for the Smiths at that point and we gotta trim salary somewhere. I don't think it will happen though, as I still suspect some injuries yet may make Perry's phone ring.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell isn't going to be that expensive and Perry has nothing to offer. His body was breaking down and we're almost at the halfway point in the season and despite visiting teams, he's still without a job for a reason. So maybe he gets healthy enough to play, how long does that last? He was practically done playing by this time last year and in a year he's still not healthy enough to play? He's DUN

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Smiths signings pay huge dividends every week... couldn't be happier with Gute's "splurge" on them.

Just wondering about the interior D-line... is it written into Clark's contract that he has at least one stupid penalty per game? He's definitely a stud, but why the head-scratching off sides or defensive holding calls every game?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Smiths signings pay huge dividends every week... couldn't be happier with Gute's "splurge" on them.

Just wondering about the interior D-line... is it written into Clark's contract that he has at least one stupid penalty per game? He's definitely a stud, but why the head-scratching off sides or defensive holding calls every game?

Clark wants to do one bone head thing a game, for what he gives us DONE!

Reaction score
The other beauty is that both Smiths signed 4 year deals. That’s huge because it gives us stability in the pass rush until 2023. Now we can concentrate on other needs.

H

HardRightEdge

The other beauty is that both Smiths signed 4 year deals. That’s huge because it gives us stability in the pass rush until 2023. Now we can concentrate on other needs.
We can appreciate their play and leadership today and consider where this team would be this year without them. I liked the signings then and I like them now.

But in 2021 they'll count $36.75 mil against the cap and another $37.25 mil in 2022, with meaningful cap savings available on both contracts in either year.

Enjoy what you have. But a lot can happen in the next 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 seasons that could alter that roster picture come 2021 or 2022. It would be nice to able to say 4 years hence they earned every dime of that money and then some, but it simply cannot be assumed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought it was time these guys get their own thread, they have earned it!

Still only 7 games into the season, but these 2 guys are quickly becoming 2 of my favorite Packers and together, maybe my favorite duo in a long time. They very well could eventually be remember as 2 of the best FA's that the Packers signed in the same year. Nobody will unseat Reggie White as THE best FA signing ever.

What they have accomplished so far on the field goes without saying, but I also think they have added some fun and team chemistry to not just the defense but the whole team.

Hoping this thread stays active and positive for the remainder of both of their contracts and beyond.

Great signing (s) Gute!

Love this clip of the 2 just being themselves.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
Reaction score
As pass rushers, leaders, and just good teammates they are A+. If i had to provide some constructive criticism I would say they could sharpen their run stop skills. However they get that much needed pressure on the QB and that's very refreshing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know there were several posters out there that wanted Khalil Mack, but had we traded for him, I doubt either Smith Brother is on the roster right now, not too mention all the lost draft picks it would have taken to trade for Khalil. Mack's Salary isn't as high as the Smith Brother's combined, but I think I will take the 2 of them over 1 Mack.

Reaction score
I could not agree more. I have never been crazy on paying so much for 1 guy. I think a team that is doing it right is the Colts. They have TY Hilton but other than that there is no one name that is giant like Mack. Yet they are doing great. If we went for Mack, we would have 0 assets moving forward. The Vikings are going to STINK in the very very near future. They have given up and dumped everything to get the "stacked" roster they have. Diggs, Thielen, Cook, "Cousins", the defense, etc. I never want the packers to be that type of team.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there were several posters out there that wanted Khalil Mack, but had we traded for him, I doubt either Smith Brother is on the roster right now, not too mention all the lost draft picks it would have taken to trade for Khalil. Mack's Salary isn't as high as the Smith Brother's combined, but I think I will take the 2 of them over 1 Mack.

I thought not going for Mack would bite us, but after the Smith's I'm glad to be proved wrong. Long live the #GoSmithsGo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These were great pickups. At the time, I thought that we overpaid in the first wave of free agency. So far these guys have been playing at a level that justifies the expense. As a fan, I can sit here at openly hope that it continues through the lengths of their contracts.

As for the Reggie White comment, we may have to start a separate thread. One could argue that Woodson was equally as important for this franchise. Both were inspirational leaders that lead the Packers defenses to a SB trophy. Both benefited from a HOF quarterback on the other side of the ball, propelling the team to greatness.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen to Nick Perry. His NFL career is over. As for Fackrell, I’d rather see how 2019/2020 plays out. GB may pay more this way, but it’s a safer route.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can appreciate their play and leadership today and consider where this team would be this year without them. I liked the signings then and I like them now.

But in 2021 they'll count $36.75 mil against the cap and another $37.25 mil in 2022, with meaningful cap savings available on both contracts in either year.

Enjoy what you have. But a lot can happen in the next 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 seasons that could alter that roster picture come 2021 or 2022. It would be nice to able to say 4 years hence they earned every dime of that money and then some, but it simply cannot be assumed.
Well said.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair credit to be given to Pettine (and MLF/Gute as secondary) too, as this level of performance is a career high even for Smiths. It's a match made in heaven as they boosted our D and our scheme will propel them to probably pro-bowl. Overall is so much more than just the sum of parts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fair credit to be given to Pettine (and MLF/Gute as secondary) too, as this level of performance is a career high even for Smiths. It's a match made in heaven as they boosted our D and our scheme will propel them to probably pro-bowl. Overall is so much more than just the sum of parts.

What I also find pretty cool is the bond that these 2 guys seem to have created with each other and their teammates. I can't recall seeing 2 teammates attached at the hip like they seem to be. The positive energy that radiates off of them has to be a positive thing in the locker room and on the field. Even the whole "coach told us we can't do celebration dances anymore" changing to "coach says we can, as long as they are short" was all put out as positive and agreeable decisions. Such a refreshing change from some of the malcontents that have cropped up over the years in the NFL.

Also, so far anyway, I am so glad that both were signed to 4 year deals and not the one year deal you sometimes see with Vets. The Super Smith Brother Train is just leaving the Station, could be a fun ride for at least 4 years!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, long term FA deals aren't always good for us.....

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2002/03/26/Packers-sign-Joe-Johnson/92601017193956/
Reports last week indicated the Packers had reached an agreement in principle with Johnson on a six-year contract which is worth $16 million in the first three years, including a $6 million signing bonus.

"I'm excited to finally announce the signing of Joe Johnson," Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman said. "Joe brings with him a dimension of experience, toughness and savvy. I feel he is the most dominant defensive player in free agency this year and believe he will immediately impact our defense as a player and impact our team as a leader."

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They're on pace for a combined 30 sacks this year. That's crazy.

In 2017, when both Bosa and Ingram played 16 games, they combined for 23.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it was time these guys get their own thread, they have earned it!

Still only 7 games into the season, but these 2 guys are quickly becoming 2 of my favorite Packers and together, maybe my favorite duo in a long time. They very well could eventually be remember as 2 of the best FA's that the Packers signed in the same year. Nobody will unseat Reggie White as THE best FA signing ever.

What they have accomplished so far on the field goes without saying, but I also think they have added some fun and team chemistry to not just the defense but the whole team.

Hoping this thread stays active and positive for the remainder of both of their contracts and beyond.

Great signing (s) Gute!

Love this clip of the 2 just being themselves.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Thought there was a thread...so if it is merged I did it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts