Smith and Saine released

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith's knee must be worse than previously thought. That's the only reason I can think of releasing him. He's a heck of a lot better than Brad Jones at ILB.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Smith's knee must be worse than previously thought. That's the only reason I can think of releasing him. He's a heck of a lot better than Brad Jones at ILB.
Reports coming in now that his week one availability was in question.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey everybody, first post.

I disagree, Smith lacked decisiveness, wasn't physical enough and he lacked range/length to make up for his weaknesses. Jones on the other hand was solid in the middle(though terrible against SF) and he's probably our best cover LB.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the DJ Smith release shows the amount of insanity on this forum. Two days ago people are talking about "wait until we get 'our' guys back from injury. DJ is going to come back and be flying around the field." DJ Smith went from difference maker to bag boy in less than a week.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the problem, in our Defense WILBs tend to look good no matter who is playing the position. The SILB cleans out the blockers and the WILB gets to attack the empty gaps.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think the DJ Smith release shows the amount of insanity on this forum. Two days ago people are talking about "wait until we get 'our' guys back from injury. DJ is going to come back and be flying around the field." DJ Smith went from difference maker to bag boy in less than a week.
Way I heard it, that was Perry and Bishop. I saw Smith as an eventual Hawk replacement and am actually pretty surprised by his release.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way I heard it, that was Perry and Bishop. I saw Smith as an eventual Hawk replacement and am actually pretty surprised by his release.

Smith was never a potential replacement for Hawk. He was undersized at the WILB position, at SILB he'd be little more than roadkill.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey everybody, first post.

I disagree, Smith lacked decisiveness, wasn't physical enough and he lacked range/length to make up for his weaknesses. Jones on the other hand was solid in the middle(though terrible against SF) and he's probably our best cover LB.

Which shows how bad we were at MLB if Brad Jones was our best cover LB. I'm not shocked by his release just the timing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly what i was thinking.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Smith was never a potential replacement for Hawk. He was undersized at the WILB position, at SILB he'd be little more than roadkill.
He somehow managed to push Hawk to WILB before he was injured. I thought he was decent against the run, a bit more experience erases his hesitation and allows him to hit the right gap.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize Jones is a better athlete than Ogletree right?

I'm sure Vernon Gholston was to but where is he? Being an athlete doesn't make you a good football player..it helps, but theres plenty of "athletes" looking for jobs. I'm not one who's saying hey draft Ogletree (altho i like him) but when i see film on him he's making plays and is a solid tackler. I can count on 1 hand how many big plays i've seen jones make. We don't need athletes at LB we need football players with instincts!!!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think anyone was seriously pushing that DJ Smith was a huge difference maker when he went out last year or was sorely missed in the playoffs. Bishop or Perry, sure. I've never seen anyone claim that DJ Smith is going to come back and be "flying around the field" as a "difference maker". Not saying nobody did, but I sure didn't see it.

I'm a little surprised by the release, but I'm hoping that it opens the door for Terrell Manning to have a bigger role this year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was seriously pushing that DJ Smith was a huge difference maker when he went out last year or was sorely missed in the playoffs. Bishop or Perry, sure. I've never seen anyone claim that DJ Smith is going to come back and be "flying around the field" as a "difference maker". Not saying nobody did, but I sure didn't see it.

I'm a little surprised by the release, but I'm hoping that it opens the door for Terrell Manning to have a bigger role this year.

People were definitely excited for Smith. You could even go back to last year to when Bishop got injured and people didn't think it was a big deal because Smith would just step in an produce.

I'm not too surprised by the release. The Packers still have three starters in Bishop, Hawk and Jones (or players getting paid like starters at least).

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People were definitely excited for Smith. You could even go back to last year to when Bishop got injured and people didn't think it was a big deal because Smith would just step in an produce.

I'm not too surprised by the release. The Packers still have three starters in Bishop, Hawk and Jones (or players getting paid like starters at least).

Way to rephrase that haha because i can't see Jones starting anywhere. How fast is Bishop?? it wouldn't hurt if we had to MLB's that ran a 4.5 lol. The Packers have a need for speed and especially at ilb.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He somehow managed to push Hawk to WILB before he was injured. I thought he was decent against the run, a bit more experience erases his hesitation and allows him to hit the right gap.

I don't recall this. From the games I saw I always saw Hawk on the strongside, and the employment of the two certainly demonstrated that Hawk was the SILB. It wasn't just hesitation, he just didn't have the bulk to play SILB in Capers' defense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This has been repeated a couple of times, why not link to the posts that were saying this?

As far as showing the amount of "insanity" on this forum, IMO the few posters who see nothing but negativity are a better example: Pining for UFAs without regard for how their cap hits effect extending Matthews and Rodgers and then *****ing about the cost of extending Matthews.

Reaction score
I agree.. I'm going to miss Smith and I wonder what we don't know that helped cause his release

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A slight surprise since as one of the articles mentioned, the Packers were excited about these two young players not too long ago. However, both were longshots that needed to show big improvement to retain a roster spot. When you aren't a high draft pick and aren't showing flashes of elite play, you often get the shaft if the injury bug hits. Those undrafted free agents and low picks are like people driving around without car insurance. You're one incident or play away from ruin.

Both of these guys were coming off of knee injuries. There is no reason to keep them around. I'd rather allow TT to sift through the bargain bin for more gems than to hold on to a couple of guys with a little sparkle but not much value.

Members online

Latest posts