Slim pickings for UFA ILB's

D

Deleted member 6794

But Ted doesn't draft for need. If a NT is the BPA at #30 he will take him if its a LB he will take him if its a WR or a RB he will take him (if he can't trade the pick) Right, isn't that what everyone always said about Ted. He is a BPA guy all the way? I don't believe it but that's what I have always heard.

Position of need always factors into a draft pick, especially in the early rounds.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Ted doesn't draft for need. If a NT is the BPA at #30 he will take him if its a LB he will take him if its a WR or a RB he will take him (if he can't trade the pick) Right, isn't that what everyone always said about Ted. He is a BPA guy all the way? I don't believe it but that's what I have always heard.

Conventional wisdom now says that there is no single BPA at a particular pick. There is a band/tier/group of players of roughly equal players available. If one of those fits a need, he's the pick. If not, seek to trade down.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Position of need always factors into a draft pick, especially in the early rounds.
Conventional wisdom now says that there is no single BPA at a particular pick. There is a band/tier/group of players of roughly equal players available. If one of those fits a need, he's the pick. If not, seek to trade down.

I agree. A GM of a team loaded at LB but in desperate need of a WR is probably going to have a few WRs ranked higher than a team who is stacked with them but really needs a LB

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. A GM of a team loaded at LB but in desperate need of a WR is probably going to have a few WRs ranked higher than a team who is stacked with them but really needs a LB
How could it be otherwise?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slim pickings or not, IMO they'll have to pick up a 2nd tier/mid level vet LB in free agency, if for no other reason then depth in case of injury or a counted on draft pick not contributing.
Not an either or proposition; stock up in the draft, UFA, trades- any and all ways possible.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not that the WRs would necessarily be ranked higher, they just would be more likely to be selected.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any OLB free agents that excite you all we can consider?

Take a risk on a rookie with Clay backing up.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some free-agent linebackers who could come at cheap price and provide veteran bodies for camp. These guys include Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, Lance Briggs and DJ Williams. Packers need bodies and these guys could be a very good one year stop gap player.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great idea, let's bring in another OLB asking for close to $10 million a season while not addressing the ILB position. :rolleyes:

Did you even read what I was replying to and why? Show me where I implied we should sign the guy. ******.

D

Deleted member 6794

Did you even read what I was replying to and why? Show me where I implied we should sign the guy. ******.

The question was about which OLB the Packers should consider signing in free agency and you suggested Worilds which is a ludicrous idea.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are some free-agent linebackers who could come at cheap price and provide veteran bodies for camp. These guys include Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, Lance Briggs and DJ Williams. Packers need bodies and these guys could be a very good one year stop gap player.

I don´t think Briggs and Rivers would be a great fit for a 3-4 defense. Brandon Spikes is probably the best ILB available in free agency unfortunately he´s only a two down player.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question was about which OLB the Packers should consider signing in free agency and you suggested Worilds which is a ludicrous idea.

To play along, why would it be? Maybe TT and coach McCarthy keep Matthews at ILB? Has anything been said yet that they want him back at OLB primarily?

So lets pretend they do keep Matthews at ILB. Signing an OLB at that point would make a lot of sense.

I haven't heard one way or another if they plan on keeping Matthews at ILB or not. So who knows.

We are all brainstorming here. Its all this is.

D

Deleted member 6794

To play along, why would it be? Maybe TT and coach McCarthy keep Matthews at ILB? Has anything been said yet that they want him back at OLB primarily?

So lets pretend they do keep Matthews at ILB. Signing an OLB at that point would make a lot of sense.

I haven't heard one way or another if they plan on keeping Matthews at ILB or not. So who knows.

We are all brainstorming here. Its all this is.

It would be ludicrous because we would pay three guys primarliy playing OLB close to $10 million per season while only being able to play two of them most of the time. McCarthy said after the season that the team will continue to play Matthews inside next season but I would rather have a reliable three down player at ILB and keep Matthews outside.

There´s no denying the run defense improved once Matthews moved inside but don´t fool yourself by thinking he´s a good ILB. The defense would benefit drastically by adding a true ILB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That may be true of some or even many GM's. I don't believe it's true of Thompson. Be true to your board.

D

Deleted member 6794

That may be true of some or even many GM's. I don't believe it's true of Thompson. Be true to your board.

I really think a lot of people have a completely wrong idea of how a draft board is set up. Andrew Brandt explained once in his columns that teams divide prospects into different tiers and within those position of need factors into a team´s selection.

NFL teams don´t rank draft prosepcts behind one another from 1-500.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think a lot of people have a completely wrong idea of how a draft board is set up. Andrew Brandt explained once in his columns that teams divide prospects into different tiers and within those position of need factors into a team´s selection.

Hopefully, your way of explaining it will work better than mine did. :)

H

HardRightEdge

On a related note, it looks like the Bills have worked out a trade, sending Kiko Alonzo to Philly for LeSean McCoy.

Being down a starting LB, the Bills might go some ways to keep Spikes, which would also be consistent with Ryan's commitment to being the "bullies" of the league.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Guys I wish we wouldn't resort to name calling. We are all Packer fans and I wish we could keep this like a brotherhood like it should be. We all have different opinions, but we all love the team. Let's try and get along.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually if you do a search on Google you can find the Cowboys entire draft board from a couple of seasons ago. Dallas agreed to have ESPN cameras in their draft room and the Cowboys (stupidly) had their entire draft board written out on one of the walls. ESPN never showed much of that wall (probably because the Cowboys told them not to) but I think it was SBNation that took the footage from various angles and was able to reconstruct the entire board.

So, if you want to see an actual NFL draft board, you can always go look at the Cowboys'.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Bengals have re-signed Ray Maualuga, so one of the possible free agent candidates is off the market.

Members online

Latest posts