1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Skill or Momentum

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Profizzle99, May 5, 2008.

1. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Last year our team accomplished some amazing things. We broke records and did the unthinkable with the youngest team in the NFL. It was the heat of the moment last year and we kept rolling. Do you guys think that Favre held those players together, and the team was playing for him? Because players such as Jennings and Grant went to the next level to the point where defenses could not cover our offense. Do you think these players will do as good next year with Rodgers or do you think the magic of Favre in the huddle caused our players to step their game to an above standard NFL level.

2005: #18 in total offense, #7 in total defense
    2006: #9 in total offense, #12 in total defense
    2007: #2 in total offense, #11 in total defense

2. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't think any of the players were playing "for" Brett. I do however, think Brett probably accounted for 3-4 wins last year. I think we will do well this year if Aaron can stay healthy for 16 games.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I couldn't pick one, cause to me it's both. Favre was special, thats for certain. And i think he built a special bond with the players.
    But Rodgers might be able to do that too.

4. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yards mean nothing to me.

Points is where it's at. You could move the ball around all day but if you can't score, you'll lose. Plus, so many yards people get by playing catch up while the opponent is playing conservatively, so they're meaningless yards.

If I'm not mistaken, we were #4 in O, #6 in D.

5. PackFanWithTwins

PackFanWithTwins Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to go with Momentun on last year. I think Brett did some things early in the year that gave the young WR the confidence, that carried on through the year.

6. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Momentum can win a few games in a row but not 14 games in a season.

7. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a combo platter, the natural skill was able to show through more as many young players matured before our eyes. However, having a steady veteran presence helped put those players in the proper mental and physical position to utilize their skills

8. Sadie

Sadie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to go with skill. You do not win 13 games on pure momentum. Now if we are talking about the Lions, their start was momentum because they eventually fell off, the Packers played strong ALL year.

If anything that momentum was squashed in the Chicago for our first loss of the year.

9. wranglerjeansfan

wranglerjeansfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm sorry, but i think i'm not even sure what the choice between "skill" and "momentum" even means. its not like the packers season was some ball rolling down a hill that could continue rolling because of inertia. its one thing to say favre raised the level of play of his teammates. that he surely did. but to designate that as "momentum" is incredibly misleading.

10. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Momentum is important during any particular game, but skill is what allows momentum to occur during the whole year. Our guys were/are hungry and played like it. I expect Rodgers to add more discipline to the O this year. We'll move the chains more methodically. We'll drive teams nuts with our passing and YAC.

11. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ^I hope so :)