Six players to open camp on PUP list

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also from Demovsky... Nelson says he had a "hiccup" with his other knee; doesn't know when he'll practice, but says week one isn't in jeopardy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During training camp players on the PUP list count against the team's roster limit. They don't during the regular season but in that case aren't allowed to practice for at least the first six weeks of the season.

Thanks for the clarification. Still, like you said, no reason to be concerned.

All the talk about Nelson being ahead of schedule was another smokescreen. He needs to practice with Rodgers to get their timing back. Either he reinjured his knee or the Packers were flat out lying about his status. Lindsly pulled a hamstring. Treter will fill in until he gets hurt. Hopefully by then he'll be ready to go.
It's just PATHETIC that the Packes have an entire off season to get their players ready and 4 starters plus Montgomery are still injured. It leads to the question whether the Packers have a competent training staff.

Players at their level don't need that much practice to get their timing back. Its not like they are rookies. As for the injuries what are they supposed to do? Wave a magic wand and make them disappear. Where is it written that all injuries from the previous year should be healed by the start of the next year. I'm sure every team is going through the same thing. Are you questioning the competency of their training staff as well? I think you are over reacting and looking for reasons to criticize the training staff.

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about Barrington and Montgomery still not being able to practice but after both of them weren't able to participate during the offseason it's hardly surprising they were put on the PUP list and for sure no reason to overreact.

Any time you have an injury that takes more than a year (or close to it) to heal it is cause for concern. The concern is over the injury itself and not necessarily how the Packers handled it or whether or not the player is placed on some list.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Following up on PackerDNA's post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-says-acl-is-fine-no-one-needs-to-freak-out/
Recuperating wide receiver Jordy Nelson told fans to not panic, by giving them something else to panic out about.

According to Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network, the Packers wideout said the reason he was placed on the physically unable to perform list yesterday had nothing to do with the torn ACL which cost him last season.

“It’s not the ACL. No one needs to freak out,” Nelson said.

Nelson said he tweaked the other knee while working out this offseason, which of course is something different to worry about. According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, Nelson described it has a “hiccup” in the other knee, and said he wasn’t worried about the regular season opener.

I’m sure the Packers faithful will remain calm. All is well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

TJ Lang is back at practice per Rob Demovsky practicing in pads tonight.

McCarthy added during his press conference that none of the other players currently on the PUP list are close to returning to practice.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy added during his press conference that none of the other players currently on the PUP list are close to returning to practice.

I thought Cook wasn't going to miss any training camp and if he had to he could have played the week of his surgery :rolleyes:

The way we go about handling our injuries is maddening.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I thought Cook wasn't going to miss any training camp and if he had to he could have played the week of his surgery :rolleyes:

The way we go about handling our injuries is maddening.

The Packers medical staff is for sure one of the more conservative in the league but I rather have them keep out some players of pretty much meaningless practices and have those guys healthy for the start of the season.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers medical staff is for sure one of the more conservative in the league but I rather have them keep out some players of pretty much meaningless practices and have those guys healthy for the start of the season.

Oh absolutely, and I have no issue with the way the medical staff handles our injuries. It's better to err on the side of caution, I guess I mean the way our injuries are reported is maddening.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh absolutely, and I have no issue with the way the medical staff handles our injuries. It's better to err on the side of caution, I guess I mean the way our injuries are reported is maddening.
I'm fine with them reporting injuries the way they feel should be reported as long as they follow league rules. Only the decision makers need to know the full extent and details.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with them reporting injuries the way they feel should be reported as long as they follow league rules. Only the decision makers need to know the full extent and details.

To an extent sure, but don't tell me Jared Cook could play the same week of a "minor" & "preventative" surgery and here we sit 2 months later and he's yet to catch a pass from QB1. I get it there's still plenty of time in camp but it's absolutely maddening to me how it's reported. Ty Montgomery is the same thing. Couldn't they have said "Yeah, this one doesn't look good" when he got hurt last year? I don't need a timetable, just don't give false hope is all I'm saying.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

To an extent sure, but don't tell me Jared Cook could play the same week of a "minor" & "preventative" surgery and here we sit 2 months later and he's yet to catch a pass from QB1. I get it there's still plenty of time in camp but it's absolutely maddening to me how it's reported. Ty Montgomery is the same thing. Couldn't they have said "Yeah, this one doesn't look good" when he got hurt last year? I don't need a timetable, just don't give false hope is all I'm saying.

With Montgomery it seems the Packers medical staff wasn't aware of the cartilage damage in his ankle until after the surgery was performed. Overall I agree that it's maddening that the prognosis at the time of the injury are more optimistic most of the time than the time actually missed by the players.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Both Jared Cook and Ty Montgomery ran full speed routes as part of their rehab during yesterday's practice. Hopefully a good sign.

H

HardRightEdge

Both Jared Cook and Ty Montgomery ran full speed routes as part of their rehab during yesterday's practice. Hopefully a good sign.
"Hopefully" is the operative term.

Whether it's Barrington, Cook or Montgomery out running around for the first time, it's a "how does it feel" exploration. If the answer is "painful" or "unsteady" that's not so good. If they're out there again in near future, then I'd take that as a positive.

On the plus side...it's better than hearing they have not ventured outdoors.

Members online

Latest posts