Six players to open camp on PUP list

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Rob Demovsky Sam Barrington, Jared Cook, T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley, Ty Montgomery and Jordy Nelson will start training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

In addition the Packers waived RB Don Jackson (non-football injury) and DE B.J. McBryde.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The PUP list is where the truth comes out. Obviously the guys on the list are not healthy and are more seriously injured than first reported. What was that about Jared Cook's minor foot surgery and being ready for training camp. The same thing about Jordy. During OTA's we hear that Jordy was being held out as a precaution. ********!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The PUP list is where the truth comes out. Obviously the guys on the list are not healthy and are more seriously injured than first reported. What was that about Jared Cook's minor foot surgery and being ready for training camp. The same thing about Jordy. During OTA's we hear that Jordy was being held out as a precaution. ********!!
With that in mind. We are down 40% of our starting oline. Our presumptive starting TE. Our #1 and #3(?) WRs...... Before the first training camp practice.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go Pack Go! No major injuries this season!

Yeah, we are still dealing with last year's.

I don't know. In most cases its a precaution thing. It hurts nothing to put them on the list now, they could come off tomorrow if they get cleared but if they are not placed on it now and for some reason they are not ready for the season opener the only options are carrying them on the active roster or the IR. Besides, if I am not mistaken the PUP list players do not count against the roster limit. If the guys aren't quite ready why not get 6 more into camp to see what they have instead of wasting 6 spots on guys who aren't doing anything. I'd like to see some stats as to the number of players put on the PUP list now as opposed to those who stay on it when the season starts.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the talk about Nelson being ahead of schedule was another smokescreen. He needs to practice with Rodgers to get their timing back. Either he reinjured his knee or the Packers were flat out lying about his status. Lindsly pulled a hamstring. Treter will fill in until he gets hurt. Hopefully by then he'll be ready to go.
It's just PATHETIC that the Packes have an entire off season to get their players ready and 4 starters plus Montgomery are still injured. It leads to the question whether the Packers have a competent training staff.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

any reports how long they will sit out until they start practicing?

According to McCarthy the team's physician, Dr. McKenzie, has no long-term concerns with any of the players. The team is just being cautious at the start of camp.

You're completely overreacting to the Packers being cautious with players that haven't practiced in months.

With that in mind. We are down 40% of our starting oline. Our presumptive starting TE. Our #1 and #3(?) WRs...... Before the first training camp practice.

Once again, nobody should be surprised by any of the players having been put on the PUP list as most of them haven't practiced all offseason.

Besides, if I am not mistaken the PUP list players do not count against the roster limit. If the guys aren't quite ready why not get 6 more into camp to see what they have instead of wasting 6 spots on guys who aren't doing anything. I'd like to see some stats as to the number of players put on the PUP list now as opposed to those who stay on it when the season starts.

During training camp players on the PUP list count against the team's roster limit. They don't during the regular season but in that case aren't allowed to practice for at least the first six weeks of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

This is concerning, but given the lack of information it's a little early to get especially worked up about it.

These ACL, foot and ankle surgeries are concerning, but the fact these guys are suddenly on PUP shouldn't particularly elevate concerns. Getting worked up now might be a reflection of lack of appreciation for possible outcomes in the first place.

If one wants to get worked up based on incomplete information, then you have schadenfreude as a consolation prize.
The Pats put 7 guys on PUP, including Dion Lewis, Edelman, Amendola and Volmer, with their own ACL, foot and ankle issues mixed in.

As a side note, PUP is restricted to football injuries. USA Today has reported that Linsley's injury, undisclosed in the initial reports, is a hammy. You'd recon he tweeked it during offseason activities.

It's probably naive to thing these moves are purely medical with no consideration of the rules or the timing of opening day.

Keep in mind that if a player steps on the field for one preseason practice snap, he is disqualified for regular season PUP. While the injuries could be worse than we were led to believe, it could also be a case of conservative protection against a worst case scenario of being locked into IR or releasing a guy when PUP would be preferred where there is little downside to prevent forced IR at this juncture.

Further, if your thinking was to go slow with these guys as a precautionary measure in the first place, PUP enforces it rather than taking the risk of having some coach push a guy more than is warranted.

Further yet, it is inadvisable for a player to go half speed in a practice when everybody else is going full speed...that's a formula for further injury.

Which takes me back to the first line of this post: there is insufficient information to draw any conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they had enough sense to let montgomery sit last year... Instead of reinjuring it twice, rushing back.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always, always laugh at fans that get upset that teams aren't 100% transparent. This is sports! They lie to everyone! They don't need to tell the truth! It doesn't help them one bit to be 100% transparent! Get used to it.

I can understand being upset that these guys aren't ready to go out of the gate, and probably one or two will remain there longer than we want, but most will participate in camp and will be playing Week 1.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they had enough sense to let montgomery sit last year... Instead of reinjuring it twice, rushing back.
Funny though. If you re-read the posts on this forum, 85% of people were calling for him to return and not understanding why the Packers were being so cautious, blah blah blah. Fans impose impossible double standards on their teams.

H

HardRightEdge

According to McCarthy the team's physician, Dr. McKenzie, has no long-term concerns with any of the players. The team is just being cautious at the start of camp.
Clearly, I agree with your comments in general. I think where fan concerns come in at this point is that it is hard to think of a case where a Packer player's injury issue is resolved sooner than McCarthy states, whereas many rosy scenarios have failed to materialize. Coach is an optimistic guy.

We simply don't know which, if any, of these cases have undisclosed concerns. If I were a betting man I'd say at least one of these guys starts the season on PUP, just on the odds out of 6 possibilities. But I don't have to bet and I don't choose to make any conclusion.

Now, if somebody is forced to make a decision on his fantasy roster the picture might be different. In that case, he can flip a coin because that's all he can do.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If I recall correctly the Packers didn't know about the full extent of his injury before finally putting him on injured reserve.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id rather see montgomery start season on pup, or go on ir right away, if that ankle isnt 100 percent. He is a great talent and has a long career ahead of him. We have wrs... Dont rush him back!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Clearly, I agree with your comments in general. I think where fan concerns come in at this point is that it is hard to think of a case where a Packer player's injury issue is resolved sooner than McCarthy states, whereas many rosy scenarios have failed to materialize. Coach is an optimistic guy.

We simply don't know which, if any, of these cases have undisclosed concerns. If I were a betting man I'd say at least one of these guys starts the season on PUP, just on the odds out of 6 possibilities. But I don't have to bet and I don't choose to make any conclusion.

Now, if somebody is forced to make a decision on his fantasy roster the picture might be different. In that case, he can flip a coin because that's all he can do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about Barrington and Montgomery still not being able to practice but after both of them weren't able to participate during the offseason it's hardly surprising they were put on the PUP list and for sure no reason to overreact.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Id rather see montgomery start season on pup, or go on ir right away, if that ankle isnt 100 percent. He is a great talent and has a long career ahead of him. We have wrs... Dont rush him back!

There's absolutely no reason to put Montgomery on injured reserve right now. Even if he's not healthy at the start of the season the Packers can wait another 6-11 weeks to make this decision.

H

HardRightEdge

Funny though. If you re-read 85% of the posts on this forum, people were calling for him to return, not understanding why the Packers were being so cautious, blah blahblah. Fans impose impossible double standards on their teams.
I wouldn't assume Montgomery's handling was especially cautious. I wouldn't assume it wasn't. The original report was a high ankle sprain. Having had a couple of these in my youth, I can attest that 2 months recovery time is not out of the question. Montgomery rehabbed and tested it out throughout that period, one presumed once the swelling went down after a week or so in trying to come back. McCarthy characterized Montgomery's efforts as those of a "real pro".

After a little over 2 months, it was decided he'd go under the knife to repair cartilage damage. Did Montgomery incur the cartilage damage during the rehab? Or was it already there from the initial injury, but something that could possibly be lived with through the season without risk of further damage provided the sprain was fully resolved, but it eventually did not work out that way?

You've had high priced O-Linemen play seasons with MCL tears and back problems, Adams and Cobb? Those guys sure did not look to be 100%, especially Adams. Your franchise QB has had undisclosed injuries the past couple of years that underwent remediation.

I don't think it is sufficiently appreciated that few NFL players are ever 100%, that medicine is as much art as science, human bodies are not mechanical machines and physicians have to base much of their assessment on what the patient says about how they feel, so the player has a say in the outcome.

We are not qualified to say whether the handling of the injury was conservative or not in any particular case.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I recall correctly the Packers didn't know about the full extent of his injury before finally putting him on injured reserve.
Surely there was more damage done when he reinjured it. Im suggesting that if we werent so desperate for an impact wr. We would not have put him back on the field a 3rd time. With a superbowl in reach, we did what we did. Right or wrong. We should let him heal to 100 percent , now... Weither thats pup list to buy time or another whole year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not worried about any of these guys. It's called a Family night and 5 preseason games.

H

HardRightEdge

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about Barrington and Montgomery still not being able to practice but after both of them weren't able to participate during the offseason it's hardly surprising they were put on the PUP list and for sure no reason to overreact.
At this stage my concerns are limited to:

1) Montgomery and Cook have limited experience in the system. They need the work, so delaying it for a while is a negative, but hardly more than a minor one if that's all there is to it.

2) Barrington had foot surgery as did Cook. That can be a tricky business depending on what's involved, but we don't have specifics. Cook's deal seems to be minor as reported. Barrington's appeared to be major, so his may be an issue, possibly a career ender if it involved Lisfranc or microfracture.

But again, I'm not going to worked up over speculation, even my own.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny though. If you re-read the posts on this forum, 85% of people were calling for him to return and not understanding why the Packers were being so cautious, blah blah blah. Fans impose impossible double standards on their teams.
I get it. We needed him! He surely wanted to play. The fans wanting a wr. But all in all. Looking back, it looks like we rode our new prize work horse into the ground out of......?

Members online