Singeltary as DC?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Singletary is linebackers coach in SF, but he is also assistant head coach. I think this prevents another team from hiring him away as a coordinator. So it looks like he won't be a possibility.

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Singeltary is being mentioned by the "Big Unit" on WTMJ as I write this as a good candidate. My limited knowledge is that teams will let coaches out of their current contract if they want out. Isn't this what is happening with Bates right now? If Singeltary wants out (and I hope he does), SF will probably wish him well. However, TT or MM has to ask permission to talk to him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Singletary is linebackers coach in SF, but he is also assistant head coach. I think this prevents another team from hiring him away as a coordinator. So it looks like he won't be a possibility.

I agree. I think you can only leave to take a job HIGHER than the one you have, and assistant head coach is pretty high.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Greg C. said:

I agree. I think you can only leave to take a job HIGHER than the one you have, and assistant head coach is pretty high.
yup
The only position Mike S can take is HC unless his contract is up at the end of this year (2005)

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his name was Steve Singletary it would work. I'm telling you, the next guy that gets hired will have those double initials.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mora gave Jagodizki(sp?) permission to go to the pack for the OC job.
SF would have to do the same for Mike.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jagodzinski was the O-line coach in Atlanta, so he was able to move up to offensive coordinator in Green Bay. But assistant head coach is just one step below head coach, so Singletary can't be hired away by anyone else unless he is given a head coaching job.

Teams use that assistant head coach label to protect the best people on their staffs from being raided. I think the benefit to the guy who is designated as assistant head coach is that he has more job security and gets more money. Sherman did this with Bob Slowik when he was still DB coach. Boy, it sure was a good thing that Slowik didn't get hired away by another team, wasn't it?

Members online

No members online now.